|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page 2B contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.||„|
|~ 2B, during the beginning of the prologue|
YoRHa No.2 Type-B, generally known simply as 2B, is one of the main protagonists and player characters of the video game NieR: Automata. She is a female android created by an organization known as YoRHa who was sent to earth to fight against the robotic lifeforms known as the Machines who have invaded Earth and drove humanity off of the planet. She is assigned with her partner known as 9S, who assists her in various missions given by the YoRHa Commander or anyone they seek to help.
2B's appearance as an android appears to be that of a young woman with a pale complexion and she has a slim figure. She appears to have a mole on the right part of her chin. She has short, silvery white hair and is revealed to have grayish-blue eyes but is covered with her blindfold. She wears a black dress with a skirt. It appears that she is wearing a white thong leotard underneath her dress and there are two white finger gloves with black on the section of the fingers. She also wears long black high heels with See-through stockings.
|“||Feelings/emotions are prohibited||„|
|~ 2B's catchphrase|
2B is a blade of quiet determination. As a combat android, she is not fond of having idle chatter on irrelevant subjects and is generally reticent towards others. She also has high respect and obedience for the chain of command and rarely questions her orders, unlike her partner 9S. She also doesn't mind running errands for the Resistance, saying that they help with their mission and believing it to be better than constantly being in combat, as that has an increased chance in dying. She is also very logical and professional, frequently saying that feelings are prohibited. However, 2B occasionally expresses a notably sardonic wit in the face of certain situations and at times, she can be hot-headed. She is often sarcastic, particularly towards Pod 042 due to his tendency to point out the obvious.
However, 2B is a very kind person deep down. She cares a great deal for her friends, petting her Pod as though it were a pet and going so far as to find a picture of a flower for Operator 6O. She is also very respectful towards others' wishes; when she and 9S are searching for the memories of an android with amnesia via going to places 9S wonders what's so important about them. 2B merely states that the memories are important to her and that's all that matters. In addition, despite her professional nature, 2B dislikes 9S calling her "ma'm" describing it as "unnecessary." Her cold and aloof exterior is largely out of necessity, as her defense mechanism for the horrors of life and the reality of her programming.
Despite stating that emotions are prohibited in YoRHa. Ironically, 2B herself has let her emotionless guise slip in certain situations, especially as she grows closer with 9S. She comes more interactive and engages more in conversation. She also shows a uncharacteristically clingy and envious side during route B, when she questions 9S' willingness to do a task for a girl without any personal gain, suspecting that it's because she's pretty.
In numerous moments throughout her adventure, 2B expresses frustration and pain with her true role in relation to 9S, hating the cycle they are locked in. She becomes emotional at having a chance to finally save the 9S she knows from Engels' attack at the beginning of the game but later shows anger at learning that his memory after their initial rendezvous was lost.
Little is known when 2B was created but it is assumed that she was created before the events of the story as part of the new line of YoRHa androids. She was given the designation of 2B as a cover by her superior. Who instructed her to observe one of the new Scanner models in action during YoRHa's operations against the machines.
2B's role was to ensure that 9S would not discover the true nature of Project YoRHa by executing him in case he dug too deep because of the natural curiosity programmed into him. Over the course of hundreds of operations, 2B was forced to kill 9S and wipe his memory countless times, an act that she came to hate for the pain it caused her after bonding with him over that time.
Powers and Skills
- Primary Attack - Basic light attacks, which do less damage, but are faster and have a higher potential for combos. The precise nature of the attack depends on what the primary weapon equipped is: large weapons will be slow. Holding down and releasing light attack will perform a stronger short attack combo.
- Heavy Attack - Basic heavy attacks, which do more damage, but are slower and have shorter combos. A heavy attack can be inserted as a finisher at any point in a light attack combo, with the type of heavy attack depending on both the equipped primary and secondary weapons. Jumping and then immediately activating a heavy attack will result in a launcher move, with the precise move depending on what the selected secondary weapon is. Performing a heavy attack button with a spear or large sword set as the heavy attack weapon will charge a powerful attack with two levels, the second of which will have an extended attack if it successfully connects. The latter is enhanced by "Charge Attack" plug-in chips.
- Aerial Attack - Primary attacks in the air will keep 2B in the air for as long as the combo lasts, which varies depending on what the selected primary weapon is. Using a heavy attack will result in a powerful downward strike. The power of the latter is enhanced by "Down-Attack Up" plug-in chips.
- Pod Shot - Fires the ranged weapon of what the currently selected Pod is. The missile launcher Pod must be locked on before it can launch. Upgraded Pods go through multiple phases as they fire, having effects associated with releasing the button after firing for an extended period of time.
- Pod Program - Hold to charge the selected Pod Program, and release to fire: with the Pod Scanner, hold to scan. With most Pod Programs, if there are multiple Pods, holding for a long period will cause additional Pods to appear creating a more powerful effect, the nature of which depending on which program is selected. The recharge time of a multi-Pod attack will be increased correspondingly. Firing a Pod shot cancels a charged Pod Program. A Pod Program generally fails to fire if the button is released while 2B is taking damage or during the invincible frames of her evade animation. Holding the Pod Program button will prevent 2B from gripping the Pod to slow her descent in mid-air.
- Jump moves - 2B can evade in mid-air and jump a second time in mid air: if she falls off a ledge rather than jumping, she can perform two jumps in the air. 2B can grip onto the Pod to slow her descent. She also has two special moves in mid air: the first being a quick twirl which gains a small amount of additional height. The second, is 2B using the Pod to slingshot herself forward, functioning like a second air evade. Combining these two moves is necessary to reach some objects in the game.
- Evade - Allows for a dash in whatever direction the movement control is pressed, defaulting to backwards if no direction is pressed. If the direction is held, after a short while 2B will begin to sprint, also increasing the speed at which 2B climbs ladders. Can also be performed in the air: a longer jump can be achieved by dashing off a platform and then again in mid-air. This dash move has invincible frames and can be used to avoid enemy attacks: the distance travelled and the number of invincible frames can be increased using "Evade Range Up" plug-in chips. The distance travelled with such a chip equipped can be controlled: holding evade results in the full-length dash, while just a tap results in a shorter one. Tapping a cardinal direction, evading and light attacking at the same time results in a special dodge and attack animation where a rotating blade is left at 2B's previous location.
- Perfect Evade - Evading just before an attack connects will cause a special evasion animation of 2B breaking into multiple hologram-like copies: if 2B then quickly primary attacks, heavy attacks or pod shots, a powerful counter-attack will be performed.
- Counter - Timing an attack to strike the enemy's weapon or fist as they swing will deflect their attack and allow a counter-attack in the same manner as a Perfect Evade. In addition, if a "Counter" plug-in chip is equipped, the same move can be performed by tilting the movement stick in the direction an enemy attack is coming from just as it connects.
- Self Destruct - 2B has the ability to self destruct, dealing immense damage to herself and those around her. It does not actually kill her unless she is in the Bunker, in which case self-destructing triggers Ending U. The base damage it deals to enemies is equal to 2B's current HP, though this is still level-scaled. After self-destructing, 2B will be left with 1HP and be unable to perform most actions for a short period while she reboots her systems, though the Pod attacks still function normally.
- Taunt - Rapidly flashing the Pod's light close to enemies will temporarily enrage them, causing them to both deal and receive more damage: this enraged state is shown by the enemy's head(s) glowing orange-red, and the enemy emitting a blast of steam as the effect starts. An enemy remains taunted for 15 seconds, after which they return to normal: re-taunting them resets the timer, though there is no visible indication of this. The amount of damage dealt and received can be enhanced with "Taunt Up" plug-in chips.
- Finisher - Pressing the action button on a downed or otherwise disabled enemy will perform a randomly-selected attack animation that does a fair amount of damage if it connects. This attack may fail to connect properly if, for example, the launcher finisher is randomly selected on an enemy that cannot be launched.
- Like all other YoRHa androids, 2B was modeled after her creators, as stated in the game.
- 2B's sword Virtuous Contract is said to be a white blade used by the samurai of the east.
- 2B's height is 168 cm.
- During the settings menu tutorial, 2B has a chance to tell 9S that "there is something calming" about his voice, flustering him greatly.
- When A2 is disabled by an EMP attack in the desert, she begins to experience some of 2B's memories from her sword. A brief interaction with the Commander can be heard, claiming they would usually refer to 2B as something else. This hints at her real designation of 2E.
- Like with the other androids, 2B was designed by Akihiko Yoshida.
- The large sword that 2B wields in official artwork, the Beastlord, is one of the signature weapons used by the original protagonist of NieR Gestalt. Interestingly, in any hacking sequence where one of the female character models is used instead of the usual pointer, the large sword on their back will always be the Beastlord.
- According to Nier: Automata Guide Book, 2B's three-sizes are B: 84cm; W:56cm; H:88cm. Her height is 168cm (including heels). Her weight is 148.8kg.
- Whenever 2B self-destructs while the player character, her skirt is removed entirely, revealing her leotard: however, if the player character is 9S, self-destructing only switches her to a skirt with a torn-out front seen after some boss fights. Her clothing will reset to normal after transporting or viewing certain cutscenes, and can be manually repaired or prevented from changing states if the player owns the "Dress Module" key item sold in Emil's store.
- 2B's name is a reference to the famous "to be, or not to be" speech in Shakespeare's Hamlet, signifying the existential questions at the heart of the game's narrative.
- 2B (or a character resembling her) makes a minor cameo in the first issue of SINoALICE's comic adaptation. She is one of the TV news hosts of "2B Channel".
- It is revealed in NieR: Orchestra Concert re:12018 that 2B kills 9S 48 times.