|“||We'll take it from here.||„|
|~ K's first line in Men In Black|
|“||A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.||„|
|~ K's philosophy on the human race|
Agent K, a.k.a. Kevin Brown, is one of the two main protagonists, alongside Agent J, in the Men in Black franchise and is the deuteragonist of the Men in Black trilogy and in the animated series. He is portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones, who also played Ed Tom Bell in No Country For Old Men and Chester Philips in Captain America: The First Avenger. In Men in Black III, his younger self is played by Josh Brolin, who also played Jonah Hex in the 2010 film Jonah Hex and Cable in Deadpool 2.
Originally Kevin Brown, he helped found MiB back in the 50's. It was not until March 2, 1961, that contact was made outside New York City. After this, Kay became fully devoted to his work.
Early MiB Years
Kay was originally made partner with an agent named Alpha. However, Alpha stole a Cosmic Integrator, and went rogue, combining his body with alien pieces. At some point, he was made partner with another founder, Dee. During the 60's, his future partner, Agent J, came to the past, and the duo would team up to defeat Boris, so Kay would live and Earth would be saved. At an unknown date (sometime in the 70's or 80's), Kay and other agents protected Princess Lauranna of Zartha, and was entrusted with the Light of Zartha to stop it from getting into Serleena's hands. However, Kay pretends to launch the Light into space. Serleena kills Lauranna and follows, and the Light is later revealed to be Lauranna's (and implied to be Kay's) daughter, Laura Vasquez.
Men in Black
In the first film, after having to kill an alien, Mikey, his partner finally wants to retire. Wanting so, Kay neuralyzes Agent D. In need of a new partner he recruits an NYPD officer, now named Agent J. Together, the duo must track down Edgar the Bug, a Bug that wants the energy of the Arquilian Galaxy. In the end, Kay "retires", and Jay becomes agent to Elle. It is explained that he was in coma for all of those years, and returned to his wife.
In the animated series, Kay was not neuralyzed and is still an agent to the MiB. He is still partner to Jay, and Elle still works for the MiB. During the series, he and Jay must constantly fight off aliens, and even his old partner Alpha.
Men in Black II
In the second film, Jay must find the neuralyzed Kay to stop Serleena. Jay finds him as a Postal Worker in Massachusetts. Here, Jay must de-neuralyze Kay, so they can stop Serleena from destroying Zartha and Earth.
Men in Black III
In the third film, Jay must go back in time to stop the villain, Boris from killing a young Kay to destroy the Earth.
- Clint Eastwood was offered the role but declined, Jones was then cast.
- Mark Wahlberg was almost cast as young K, but Brolin got the part in the end.
- Tommy Lee Jones only accepted the role of Kay after Steven Spielberg promised the script would improve. He had been disappointed with the first draft, which he felt did not capture the tone of the comic.
- According to Tommy Lee Jones, he didn't mind being covered in slime but Will Smith on the other hand hated it.
- Director Barry Sonnenfeld claimed he directed Tommy Lee Jones to play every scene straight. Jones became frustrated that he wasn't allowed to do comedic takes, while Sonnenfeld insisted Agent Kay had to be completely serious for the comedy to work.
- In Men In Black 3, when young Agent K first appears, he says "We'll take it from here", the first line K said in Men In Black.