|“||I will be the most powerful Jedi ever.||„|
|~ Anakin in Attack of The Clones|
Anakin Skywalker, also known as Darth Vader, is the central character of the Star Wars Franchise.
He was a legendary Jedi Knight and hero of the Clone Wars who was later corrupted to the dark side of the Force by the evil Palpatine (also known as Darth Sidious) and became the Sith Lord Darth Vader. He was the Padawan of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Master of Ahsoka Tano, the third and final Sith Apprentice of Darth Sidious (after Darth Maul and Count Dooku), the secret husband of Padmé Amidala, the father of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, the father-in-law of smuggler Han Solo and the grandfather of Ben Solo, also known as Kylo Ren.
In the saga movies, Anakin was the secondary antagonist of the original trilogy, serving as the central antagonist of A New Hope, the main antagonist of The Empire Strikes Back, and the (former) titular secondary antagonist of Return of the Jedi, where he redeems himself to save his son Luke. He was also the main protagonist of the prequel trilogy, serving as the deuteragonist of The Phantom Menace, the main protagonist of Attack of the Clones, and the main protagonist villain of Revenge of the Sith, which tells the tragic story of how he became Darth Vader. He is also a posthumous character referenced in the sequel trilogy, only being mentioned in its first two movies The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi and will likely appear as a Force Ghost in it's upcoming third movie, The Rise of Skywalker.
He was also the main protagonist of the 2008 animated movie Star Wars: The Clone Wars and it's 2008-2014 TV series of the same name, one of the recurring primary antagonists in Star Wars Rebels, and the tertiary antagonist of the 2016 movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
In the original trilogy, he (as Darth Vader) was played by David Prowse and voiced by James Earl Jones, who later voiced Mufasa in Disney's The Lion King. The unmasked Anakin (and his original force ghost) in Return of the Jedi was played by the late Sebastian Shaw.
In the prequel trilogy, He was portrayed by Jake Lloyd as a child in its first film The Phantom Menace and by Hayden Christensen as an adult in second and third films Attack of The Clones and Revenge of the Sith with James Earl Jones reprising the role of Anakin's Darth Vader voice at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Christensen also played Anakin's force ghost in the 2004 DVD version of Return of the Jedi.
In the Clone Wars movie and series, he was voiced by Matt Lanter. James Earl Jones reprised the role of Anakin's Darth Vader voice in Star Wars Rebels and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
In the Family Guy episodes that parody the original trilogy, he was played by Stewie Griffin.
Anakin/Vader was thought to be the main antagonist of the original trilogy, but this was done to reveal the true main villain later on.
History (In chorological order)
The Phantom Menace
|“||I'm a person and my name is Anakin.||„|
|~ Anakin meeting Padme|
Attack of The Clones
|“||Why couldn't I save her? I know I could have! (Padme:Sometimes there are things no one can fix. You're not all powerful, Ani.) Well I should be. Someday I will be! I will be the most powerful jedi ever!||„|
|~ Anakin after his mother's death.|
The Clone Wars Movie
|“||You're reckless, little one. You never would have made it as Obi-Wan's padawan. But you might make it as mine.||„|
|~ Anakin accepts Ahsoka as his padawan.|
The Clone Wars Series
|“||I will do such terrible things?||„|
|~ Anakin after seeing a vision his future.|
|Appearances on The Show|
Revenge of The Sith
No Respect for Anakin
|“||My powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count.||„|
|~ Anakin taunts Dooku|
Fall into Darkness
|“||What have I done? (Palpatine: You're fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice. Learn to use the Dark Side of the Force.) I will do whatever you ask. (Palpatine: Good!) Anakin: Just help me save Padmé's life. I can't live without her.||„|
|~ Anakin becomes Palpatine's apprentice.|
After his ordeal, Anakin's love of Obi-Wan was completely destroyed. Obi-Wan tried to remind his former friend of the Jedi the latter once was, but Anakin, already insane and psychotic, revealed his undying hatred of Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan responded with a sad mention of his own love for Anakin, but chose to leave the planet since Anakin had already been brainwashed by his own anger.
|“||(Palpatine: Lord Vader, can you hear me?) Yes, Master. Where is Padmé? Is she safe? Is she alright? (Palpatine: It seems, in your anger, you killed her.) I...I couldn't have. She was alive! I felt it! (*Anakin damages several surrounding objects and droids through the Force. He then breaks the clamps that have been holding him down and takes a few steps forward.) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!||„|
|~ Anakin's despair over losing Padme|
|“||You have unlocked the secret of the Temple. How did you accomplish this (Ezra: You're smart, figure it out!) No matter. The power within will soon serve the Emperor. (Ezra: I don't fear you!) Then you will die braver than most.||„|
|~ Anakin speaking to Ezra|
|Appearances on The Show|
|“||Be careful, not to choke on your aspirations, Director.||„|
|~ Anakin warns Krennic|
A New Hope
|“||Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.||„|
|~ Anakin about the death star.|
The Empire Strikes Back
|“||Obi-wan never told you what happened to your father. (Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!) No. I am you father!||„|
|~ Anakin's most famous Darth Vader quote|
Return of The Jedi
|“||I must obey my master.||„|
|~ Anakin telling Luke about Palpatine|
Duel and Redemption
|“||If you will not fight, you will meet your destiny.||„|
|~ Anakin after Luke refuses to fight him.|
|“||Luke...you were right about me. Tell your sister. You were right.||„|
|~ Anakin's last words before he dies in Luke's arm|
A short time after the Battle of Endor, Anakin's force ghost appeared to Leia. Having just learned about her true parentage, Leia was not able to bring herself to forgive her father at the time. After being given diaries that her grandmother Shmi had made, Leia realized Anakin wasn't the monster she thought he was and was able to forgive him. She and her husband Han would later name their third child after Anakin.
Initially the family kept the fact that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader had been the same person a secret from the galaxy at large. Luke would later reveal the secret to his first class of Jedi students. Some of his students felt uneasy over this revelation. Corran Horn wondered how the politicians running the New Republic would react to this knowledge, and how they would feel about Vader's daughter running the council. Eventually the knowledge did get out to the galaxy at large.
Leia was able to use her status as Anakin's daughter to convince the Noghri to leave the Empire's service. The Noghri would later join the New Republic.
As Vader, Anakin would be fondly remembered by some of the men who served under his command as he led from the front and never asked anything of them that he was unwilling to do himself. However many Imperials despised those Imperials who survived service under Vader's command. When the cloned Palpatine resurfaced, the truth of what Anakin had done became known to the Imperial remnant at large, leading to the name of Darth Vader being reviled throughout the Empire.
Anakin's force ghost would appear and speak to his descendants, including both Jacen Solo and Cade Skywalker.
|“||You will never be as strong as Darth Vader!||„|
|~ Rey discussing Vader with Kylo Ren|
In the years following Anakin's death, his family kept the fact that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader had been the same person a closely guarded secret. No one outside the Skywalker family knew that Luke and Leia were the children of Darth Vader. Not even Leia and Han's son Ben knew the truth about who his grandfather really was. Despite not knowing for certain some people like Mon Mothma long suspected that Leia was Anakin's daughter.
The secret was finally revealed in 28 ABY by New Republic Senator Ransolm Casterfo. The revelations ruined Leia's political career, despite the constitutional protections for children from the crimes of their parents, and she resigned from the Senate not long afterwards. Leia soon founded the Resistance when it became clear that she could not talk the Senate into opposing the First Order.
Despite the best efforts of Leia, Han, and Luke, Anakin's evil actions and former nature as Darth Vader inspired his grandson Ben Solo to became the fallen Jedi named Kylo Ren. After learning about his grandfather's evil actions and former status as Darth Vader, Ben decided to follow Anakin's footsteps during his life as Darth Vader, from betraying his peers and Luke, giving the Skywalker a setback in his attempt to rebuild the Jedi Order.
The Force Awakens
Anakin is mentioned and referenced in The Force Awakens. Kylo Ren's obsession with his grandfather was one of the reasons he turned to Dark Side, going so far as to keep Vader's melted, charred mask, speaking to it as a symbol of reverence to the former Sith Lord. Anakin/Luke's old lightsaber is also featured, having been found by Maz Kanata and stored in a box her castle cantina. The saber's connection with the Force recognizes and calls to Rey, who after touching it receives a disturbing vision of events that happened prior to the events of the film (Vader's iconic breathing can be heard briefly during the vision). Maz offers the lightsaber to Rey, encouraging her to embrace her destiny, but Rey refuses out of horror. Maz gives the lightsaber to Finn instead, to which he uses in battle several times. When Rey is captured and interrogated by Ren, she is able to sense his fear and takes advantage of it, taunting him saying "you're afraid, you're afraid you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vader", terrifying him. He is lastly mentioned by Han and Leia, who state that one of the reasons why Kylo embraced the Dark side is because "the was too much Vader in him".
Anakin Skywalker's ghost was to make an appearance, portrayed by Hayden Christiansen. Concept art showed that he would be wearing a black robe, and his face would have faded from both Anakin's scarred face to Darth Vader's mask, showing that the Dark side has stayed with him even in death.
The Last Jedi
Luke and Rey talk about Anakin in The Last Jedi.
As a child, Anakin was thoughtful, selfless, brave and very intelligent for his age.
As an adult, Anakin developed into a more prideful, loyal, and reckless young man, but he was still kind, caring and selfless. Although he was a loving person, he was known to hold grudges and was vengeful, but he commonly held these two traits in check sometimes. He also hated being treated unjustly or being wrongly accused, and grew to hate being criticized or lectured. Despite his pride as a Jedi, Anakin was not above apologizing or admitting when he was wrong; unlike most members of the Jedi Order, he acknowledged his mistakes and learned from them as well, as he was one of the few members of the Jedi Order who knew there was flaws in the Jedi Teachings and the Jedi Code. He was a naturally honest person and despised lying and deception, from his friends, allies and enemies alike. He disliked politics, considering most politicians to be arrogant and greedy.
As his fame grew, he became more prideful and overconfident, as Anakin knew he was one of the best Jedi in the Jedi Order and secretly believing that he could easily best any Jedi blindfolded with his lightsaber tied behind his back. Although he could sometimes be aggressive, brutal, unpredictable and cocky, Anakin still had a strong sense of justice, honor and good morals. He also carried guilt and remorse for his violent deeds and the loss of some of his loved ones, especially the loss of his mother.
As a general within the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic, Anakin was renowned for his leadership skills and admired by clones, Jedi and politicians alike. Anakin made it clear to those under his command that he would never ask them to do anything he was unwilling to do himself.
During the Clone Wars, Anakin, like his then-apprentice Ahsoka Tano, matured and became more responsible in many ways, but this did not stop him from being reckless and impulsive sometimes. He was not as forgiving as his wife Padmé, as he rarely forgave people in general, particularly Obi-Wan, for constantly lying to him or deceiving him.
After Palpatine turned Anakin into Darth Vader, he became an evil, ruthless, tyrant who struck fear into the hearts of the galaxy. Over the years, Anakin did terrible things under Palpatine's order. Anakin didn't think there was any good left in him, when he battled his old padawan to the death and killed his old master. However in the end, it was his son's love for him that brought him back into the light-side.
Powers and Abilities
- The Force: As the Chosen One, Anakin was immensely powerful and had an amazingly strong connection to the Force, stronger than any Force user ever in existence. He also possessed the potential to become the most powerful Force user in the history of the galaxy; according to Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin's Force potential surpassed that of even Yoda.
- Telekinesis: Anakin utilized Telekinesis either as offensive or defense.
- Force Push: Anakin utilized Force Push to send his opponents flying through the air, causing them serious injury or temporarily incapacitating them/knocked them unconscious.
- Force Pull: Anakin utilized Force Pull to pull his opponents or objects towards him.
- Force Choke: Anakin utilized Force Choke to either weaken, kill or intimidate his opponents.
- Force Grip: Anakin utilized Force Grip to lift his opponents off the ground and into the air to immobilize them.
- Force Crush: Anakin utilized Force Crush to crush objects, including droids.
- Force Barrier: Anakin utilized Force Barrier, to created a barrier or wall of Force energy around himself or his allies.
- Mind Trick: Anakin utilized Mind Trick to control the minds of other sentient beings, however, it did not work on individuals who have very strong wills.
- Beast Control: Anakin utilized Beast Control to control the minds of animals.
- Force Jump: Anakin utilized Force Jump, to jump or leap at great distances.
- Force Speed: Anakin utilized Force Speed, to move at amazing speed.
- Force Vision: Anakin utilized Force Vision, to have visions of the past, the present and the future; however, like all force users, his visions were not always clear or sometimes had visions even when he was not utilizing this power at will.
- Force Sense: Anakin utilized Force Sense, to sense another sentient being's emotions, the future, ripples in the Force caused by momentous or traumatic events, or impending danger and the presence of the dark side.
- Force rage: Anakin utilized Force Rage to channel his anger to increase his speed, strength, ferocity and to overwhelmed his opponents. However, doing so ran the risk of being corrupted by the Dark Side, which.
- Force Healing: Anakin utilized Force Healing, to heal himself or other sentient beings.
- Dampen Force: Anakin utilized Dampen Force to temporarily block certain Force powers such as; Force Push or Force Pull.
- Telekinesis: Anakin utilized Telekinesis either as offensive or defense.
- Cyborg Strength: Anakin utilizes his cybernetic hand in combat, as it gave him greater strength to easily subdue, restrain and overpower his opponents.
- Lightsaber Skills: Anakin was extremely skilled in lightsaber combat and an exceptionally gifted duelist. Anakin used his Force powers to increase his physical speed and agility to make his lightsaber skills more lethal in combat; this made him a formidable opponent in single combat. He also possessed the potential to become the greatest lightsaber duelist in the history of the galaxy.
- Form I: Anakin was highly skilled in Shii-Cho.
- Form IV: Anakin was extremely skilled in Ataru.
- Form V: Anakin was a master of Shien/Djem So, considered by many to be the most proficient practitioner of the style.
- Form VI: Anakin was highly skilled in Niman.
- Jar'Kai: Although Anakin was trained in Jar'Kai by Obi-Wan Kenobi, he was not very skilled at it, due to the fact that he did not practice with it much, as he was working on this mostly as an exercise in control, and was doubtful that he would ever need to apply it. Anakin's assumption was proven wrong when he wielded two lightsabers against Dooku during the First Battle of Geonosis; though he was able to briefly catch the Sith Lord off guard, his lack of skill at dual-blade combat resulted in him losing his second lightsaber in mere seconds. During the Clone Wars, Anakin's skills in Jar'Kai greatly improved to the point where he was able to defeat the recently turn Dark Jedi Barriss Offee with little difficulty, thus becoming much more proficient with dual lightsabers.
- Master Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Anakin was highly skilled in unarmed combat.
- Master Marksman: Anakin was very proficient in the use of blaster pistols.
- Master Pilot: Anakin was extremely skilled in piloting various speeders and every type of flying craft. He was the best star-pilot in the history of the galaxy.
- Master Engineer: Even as a child, Anakin was amazingly skilled in engineering for someone of his age. At the age of nine, he was able to successfully build his own podracer, at the age of thirteen, he was able to successfully construct his first blue bladed lightsaber in his first try.
- Genius-Level Intellect/Master Tactician/Leader: Even as a child, Anakin was amazingly intelligent for someone of his age. His intelligence and wisdom surpassed that of even Yoda. As a Jedi General, Anakin was a highly skilled tactician and a very capable leader.
- Multilingual: Anakin was capable of fluently speaking English, Huttese and Bitt.
- Qui-Gon Jinn (First Jedi Master)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi (second jedi master/best friend/brother figure, later enemy, much later friend after Return of the Jedi's climax)
- Padme Amidala (secret wife)
- Watto (former owner)
- R2-D2 (droid)
- Shmi Skywalker-Lars (mother)
- Cliegg Lars (step-father)
- Owen Lars (step-brother)
- Beru Whitesun-Lars (step-sister-in-law)
- C-3PO (droid/creation)
- Ahsoka Tano (Jedi Padawan and friend)
- Sheev Palpatine/Darth Sidious (Sith Master, now enemy)
- Luke Skywalker (son)
- Leia Organa (daughter)
- Han Solo (son-in-law)
- Ben Solo (grandson)
- Anakin and Obi-Wan had the first lightsaber duel in the first film of the original trilogy and the last Lightsaber duel in the last film in the prequel trilogy.
- In the original ending of Return of the Jedi and its 1997 special edition release, Anakin's ghost appears as a man in his early eighties, with fading hair, and a smiling face.
- In the new ending of Return of the Jedi since the 2004 DVD release, Anakin's ghost looks very identical to his appearance from Revenge of the Sith.
- Anakin killed both of his masters on a Death Star in the original trilogy. He killed his Jedi master on the first death star in A New Hope and his Sith master on the second death star in Return of the Jedi.
- In Angry Birds: Star Wars, he, his son, and his corrupted form are portrayed by the Red Bird. As a hero, he has the ability to swing a lightsaber, like his son Luke Skywalker can. He is introduced in Chapter 4: Rise Of The Clones (provided he is not summoned earlier via character-swapping).
- Darth Vader at the Villains wiki
- Anakin Skywalker at the Star Wars wiki