|This hero was proposed but was rejected by the community for not being admirable enough or lacks what is necessary to be a purely good hero. Therefore, this hero shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed heroes rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same do-gooder. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PG heroes.|
Any act of adding this hero to the Pure Good category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this hero without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|“||Why don't you pick on someone your own size?||„|
|~ Scott Lang / Ant-Man to Darren Cross / Yellowjacket.|
|“||Is it too late to change the name?||„|
|~ Scott to Hank Pym on the Ant-Man name.|
Scott Edward Harris Lang, also known as Ant-Man, is a major character of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He is the titular protagonist of Ant-Man and its sequel Ant-Man and the Wasp, a major character of Captain America: Civil War, and the titular tritagonist of Avengers: Endgame. He will return in the third film, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.
Scott Lang is an affable rogue with tongue-in-cheek humor. Despite his criminal activity, Lang is a man of honor, good morals, and justice, though to the point of being stubborn, with it being his sense of honor that had led him to his break-in at Vistacorp, where Lang avenged all the people they wronged. Lang's desire to right wrongs was often the motivation for his illegal activities, yet his love for his daughter, Cassie, also made him determined to go straight upon his release from prison.
Lang only went back to criminal activities when his criminal record ostracized him and gave him no other choice in supporting his daughter. Lang will "do the wrong thing for the right reason", which is why he joined Captain America's team during the Avengers Civil War, seeing Rogers' point of view on the Sokovia Accords far more just and honorable than Tony Stark's.
Lang also had the drive to prove himself worthy, as he felt he didn't deserve the admiration of his daughter Cassie. In fact, Lang was initially unwilling to take up the mantle of Ant-Man from Hank Pym due to his own fears of having used the suit. But upon a chat with the former hero, Lang realized he had a chance to become the hero that his daughter already thought he was.
Despite being a thief, Lang is a big fan of the Avengers, admiring their heroism deeply. Although he shared the same dislike of Iron Man as his mentor, Lang was quick to request they ask the Avengers for help to deal with Darren Cross. Rather than trying to fight Falcon, a member of the Avengers, immediately, Lang tried to reason with him, attempting to no avail to appeal to the Avenger's desire to protect the world, and apologized for having to fight and harm him.
He is a particular fan of Captain America, calling it an honor to meet him and was awestruck towards Rogers, shaking his hand for too long and babbled before Rogers brought him back to reality. Lang's respect for Rogers was so great that he allowed him and Bucky Barnes to escape by creating a distraction which he implied could have killed him, and knowing that even if he survived he would've been captured. In addition, although Black Widow was his enemy during the conflict, Lang showed reluctance and regret that he would have to fight her.
Lang also had a considerable dislike towards Tony Stark and the latter's attitude. This was highlighted when he was interviewed on WHiH as when Christine Everheart said he that he was "no Tony Stark", Lang was relieved at the news, genuinely desiring to be nothing like Stark. This was highlighted once again during the Avengers Civil War. Prior to the Clash of the Avengers, he reacted with alarm and distrust to Stark's name. Lang also takes great pleasure in mocking Stark and battling against him; whilst shrunken down during the Civil War, he started disabling Stark's armor from the inside and implied he didn't have a conscience despite the fact that not saying anything may have allowed Lang to do more damage without being detected.
When he was later imprisoned in the Raft, he again mocked Stark to his face saying that Pym was right not to trust Stark's family. The fact that Stark asked him who he is was a severe blow to Lang's ego. However, after Lang escaped the Quantum Realm by sheer happenstance five years after the Snap, he sought out Stark's help in reversing it and worked with him as his partner during the Time Heist, appearing to let go of his grudge against him. After Stark sacrificed himself to defeat Thanos, Lang attended his funeral with a somber look.
Since being put under house arrest after escaping the Raft, Lang had time to prioritize what was important in his life. He respected Hank Pym enough to hide the Ant-Man Suit instead of destroying it; he also refused to attempt contacting them as by using the Pym Particles in the Avengers Civil War, it put him on the Most Wanted list. Lang learned Up Close Magic and set up imaginary heists and getaways throughout his apartment as entertainment for his daughter. He also used his former thief skills to set up X-Con Security Consultants with Luis and the rest of his buddies, now creating security systems instead of bypassing them. Lang retained a romantic interest in Hope, a woman who he respected for both her intelligence and fighting skills; as Lang put it, if he was going to have a partner, there was no one else he would want but Hope (professionally and romantically).
Powers and Abilities
- Size Manipulation: Using technology developed by Hank Pym, Lang is able to reduce himself to approximately the size of an ant. He still maintains his regular sized strength and resilience when shrinking; while in reduced scale, this translates to granting him inhuman effort and exertion capabilities. Also, obtaining momentum and kinetic energy in small scale and exerting it immediately while returning to or right after returning to normal size can result in a feat of inhuman effort and exertion, and therefore, momentarily give Lang enhanced strength while in regular size.
|“||When you're small, you have superhuman strength.||„|
|~ Hope van Dyne|
- Superhuman Strength: While wearing the Ant-Man Suit in its miniature form, Lang possesses superhuman strength due to his increased density, enabling him to take out multiple opponents of normal human size.
- Insect Manipulation: Lang, through the use of radio and electric waves and signals accessed with the suit's helmet, can communicate with organisms the size of insects, especially ants, allowing him a rudimentary form of control over these insects.
- Expert Thief: Lang was skilled in theft, specializing in breaking into homes and other places to steal. He is also skilled with utilizing chemistry when opening locked safes and bypassing security systems.
|“||I got a Master's in electrical engineering, alright. I'm gonna be fine.||„|
|~ Scott Lang to Luis|
- Expert Engineer: Lang was an electrical engineer, having earned a Master's Degree in the subject. His knowledge was useful when he was able to tinker a way out of the Quantum Realm using tech pieces provided by Hank Pym.
- Expert Acrobat: Lang is capable of acrobatic maneuvers, leaping across steep divides and climbing difficult structures. He does not just perform these stunts in his shrunken state, but also when breaking into houses while in the process of thievery.
- Computer Programmer: Lang created the security systems for Vistacorp Headquarters and corrected a program that was stealing money from its customers. Christine Everhart referred to Lang as a "cyber-criminal".
- Expert Tactician: As an expert thief, Lang has a keen mind for formulating elaborate plans and schemes, and is especially notable for being able to modify those plans to adapt to unforeseen circumstances at short notice - sometimes within seconds. Examples include when he discovers the fingerprint scanner in Hank Pym's home, when he discovers that the warehouse he is breaking into is actually now the New Avengers Facility, when he is discovered by Falcon, and when Darren Cross triples security on the Pym Technologies building. He, alongside Hope van Dyne and Hank Pym, worked together on creating the heist mission to stop Darren Cross and steal the Yellowjacket Suit.
- Expert Martial Artist: Lang had poor fighting skills as he avoided confrontations during his heists. Hope van Dyne trained him and he slowly became a skilled fighter. His skills combined with the Ant-Man Suit allowed him to defeat armed security personnel and even keep up with the Falcon.
- Scott Lang was one of the characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to have taken over the mantle of a former superhero, the second was Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel.
- Ant-Man becomes Demoted to Extra in Captain America: Civil War, appearing after an hour and twenty-seven minutes. He has a major role in Endgame, after having escaped from the Quantam Realm.