- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Aquaman from the DC Extended Universe. The mainstream version can be found here: Aquaman (DC).
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Honestly... I think we're gonna be dead way before that. And you know what? I don't mind. It's an honorable end. But we've gotta shut Steppenwolf down. Superman's a no-show. You've got no powers, no offense. This guy might be working for the enemy. We don't now. You're tripping over your feet, and mine... whuf, you're gorgeous, and fierce... and strong. I know we went to war with the Amazons, but that was before my time. You know what? I don't wanna die. I'm young. There's shit that I wanna do. I just feel like... I didn't really embrace the sea or the land. I've been a loner my whole life. But being part of something bigger, like this... maybe I'm scared because... I'm meant to...||„|
|~ Aquaman to the team, while sitting on Wonder Woman's lasso.|
|“||My father was a lighthouse keeper. My mother was a queen. They were never meant to meet. But their love saved the world. They made me what I am: a son of the land, a king of the seas. I am the protector of the deep. I am... Aquaman.||„|
Arthur Curry, also known as Aquaman, is one of the main characters of the DC Extended Universe, appearing as a minor character in the 2016 film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, a major character in the 2017 film Justice League and its 2021 director's cut Zack Snyder's Justice League, the titular main protagonist of the 2018 film Aquaman, and a minor character in Peacemaker. He will return in the 2022 film Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.
He is a human-Atlantian hybrid, being the son of the Atlantean queen Atlanna and the lighthouse keeper Thomas Curry. He was recruited into the Justice League to stop the New God Steppenwolf and the Parademons, and later helped his allies revive Superman to defeat the New God. Aquaman would later battle his half-brother Orm Marius to stop him from starting a war, and became the rightful king of Atlantis.
He is portrayed by Jason Momoa, who also played Conan the Barbarian in the 2011 film of the same name. Kekoa Keumano played the character at sixteen, Otis Dhanji played the character at thirteen, and Kaan Guldur played the character young.
|“||I'm no leader. I came because I have no choice. I came to save my home and the people that I love.||„|
|~ Aquaman in the titular film.|
Initially, Arthur Curry is a very conflicted individual, struggling with the fact that he has superhuman powers which he didn't know how to handle, due to him having not been trained in his childhood. Hence, Arthur grew up feeling alienated from both the human and Atlantean worlds, feeling trapped between them, yet having the responsibility of protecting both. Also, Arthur is very bitter at his mother Atlanna for abandoning him and his father Thomas Curry. Arthur is thus somewhat gruff and reserved, unwilling to accept his place in Atlantean society, and equally unwilling to accept Bruce Wayne's offer to join the Justice League at first, as well as getting annoyed with the young and quirky Flash. Surely, Arthur had previously reached an emotional rock bottom during this period in his life, even claiming that he had no concern for the ocean, and by extension, his people.
Despite his somewhat gloomy and fearsome exterior, however, Arthur is ultimately a selfless and compassionate person, indicated by him frequenting an Icelandic fishing village during the winter to feed its hungry inhabitants with fish. He is later seen saving an unconscious fisherman found along the shore, bringing him into the shelter of a local pub in the village. However, he casually shrugged it off by stating that his drinks would be on the fisherman. When finally visiting Atlantis, his birthright, and speaking with Mera, Aquaman initially pushes back against her reprimands, but upon learning that his mother Atlanna did not abandon him of her own free will, he begins to have a change of heart, and after being unable to stop Steppenwolf from invading Atlantis, Arthur's mind is finally made up and he joins the Justice League. He still clashes with Batman, Flash, and Cyborg a few times, but otherwise gets along with the team fairly well, eventually befriending them.
Arthur, while outwardly very serious, occasionally demonstrates a dry sense of humor, notably complimenting Batman on the latter's vigilante suit. When failing to intimidate Bruce due to the latter's profound experience in intimidation tactics, Arthur quickly drops his façade, revealing his laid-back and charming self. While he initially distrusted the isolated Cyborg (suspecting that he could be working with the enemy, due to his Apokaliptan cybernetics), Aquaman gradually developed a friendship with him as well, seen when Cyborg assisted him in taking down a group of airborne Parademons. Aquaman is also somewhat of a realist, recognizing that he and the other Justice Leaguers could very well die in a battle against the New God Steppenwolf, and agreeing with Wonder Woman that resurrecting Superman with a Mother Box is too risky.
Despite his gruff appearance and devil-may-care approach to battle, Arthur is quite intelligent and introspective, notably, when he quotes Friedrich Schiller's William Tell to Bruce when asked to join the League, stating that 'the strong man is strongest alone', thus further emphasizing his preferred isolation from the surface world. When bound by the Lasso of Hestia, Aquaman reveals that deep down he is very grateful for the team's acceptance, and even developed a slight crush on Wonder Woman, despite the Atlanteans having once warred against the Amazons. Arthur, upon his release, became dismayed upon realizing the circumstances of his confession and angrily forbade Flash from ever sharing it with anyone. Following the defeat of Steppenwolf and the return of Superman, Arthur is ready to finally pursue his place in Atlantean society.
Arthur Curry was born on January 29th, 1979-1986 in Amnesty Bay, Maine to the lighthouse keeper Thomas Curry and Atlanna, the queen of Atlantis. When the Atlantian royal guards seek Atlanna, she decided to return to her home and leave Arthur with his father to keep them safe from her husband. When he was a child, Arthur's heritage emerged after being confronted by two bullies while on a field trip to an aquarium. Arthur's powers continued to manifest into his teenage years, and he was later approached by the chief advisor Nuidis Vulko. Arthur was then trained into controlling his aquatic powers, and later learned that his mother left due to his hybrid heritage. Though Arthur kept under the radar, ARGUS would keep an eye on for twenty years, and Curry would later become a vigilante to help others.
DC Extended Universe
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aquaman makes a small cameo in a video where Arthur was in a wrecked ship in the Pacific Ocean. One drone showed Arthur emerging from the shadows and then aimed his trident, destroying it while another recorded him swimming away.
In 2017, Aquaman was in Iceland helping the people of the village, and was greeted by Bruce Wayne, who wanted him to join his team of superheroes under his leadership. Aquaman refused even after hearing from Bruce that he was Batman, and later rescued a sailor that was caught in a storm at sea. Aquaman later met with Mera, and helped her fight the New God Steppenwolf, who invaded Atlantis in search for the Mother Box. After the battle, Aquaman had a change of heart after Mera revealed that his mother left him to protect him, and seeing the threat of Steppenwolf. He managed to save the Justice League in the knick of time, after they battled Steppenwolf and the Parademons while saving Silas Stone and the S.T.A.R. Labs staff. Aquaman then met with the team with Commissioner Gordon, and Bruce wanted to resurrect Superman to help them fight Steppenwolf.
The team managed to resurrect Superman with the Mother Box, but the disoriented Man of Steel attacked the league, whom were outmatched by the Kryptonian's powers. Superman's lover, Lois Lane, managed to calm him and took him to the Kent farm to meet with his adoptive mother, Martha. Aquaman later assisted the Justice League in fighting the Parademons, and Superman returned to help them defeat Steppenwolf. The New God was defeated as the Parademons smelled his fear, thus ending the invasion and making the Justice League victorious. After stopping the invasion, Aquaman continued to be a vigilante across the sea while gaining attention form the media.
Zack Snyder's Justice League
to be added
A year after the events of the New God invasion on Earth, Aquaman stopped a group of pirates from hijacking a submarine, which was lead by Jesse Kane and his son, David. Arthur stopped the pirates, but left Jesse to die within the flooded submarine, something he would regret later on as David would want revenge. Arthur returned to land to celebrate with his father, but was confronted by Mera who warned him that his half-brother, Orm Marius, wanted to start a war. Arthur refused, but later accompanied her after she saved his father after surviving a tidal wave. Meeting with Vulko, Arthur is informed about the history of Atlantis and the Trident of Atlan, but the trio are ambushed by Orm's henchmen. Arthur managed to hold them off so Mera and Vulko could escape, but was defeated and captured, being taken to Orm. His half-brother blamed Arthur and the surface world for their mother's "death", and Arthur challenged Orm in a duel at the ring of fire. Arthur was easily defeated by Orm, who had more underwater combat experience, and managed to break their mother's trident.
Arthur was saved by Mera, and the two went off to the Sahara desert to find the location of Atlan's trident, and managed to unlock a holographic message from the king. In Sicily, Arthur and Mera were ambushed by Orm's men and David Kane, who made an alliance with Orm and created armor to fight Curry. Arthur and Mera defeated David and Orm's men, and managed to make it to the Hidden Sea after battling the Trench. The two were reunited with Atlanna, who managed to survive the sacrifice to the Trench for her crimes and became stranded in the sea. Arthur then went into the cave to face Karathen, but decided to communicate with her instead of fighting, proving himself worth to wield Atlans' trident. Aquaman, Mera, and Atlanna returned to Atlantis to stop Orm and his war against the Kingdom of the Brine. After stopping the Atlantian forces, Aquaman fought Orm and defeated him by shattering Orm's trident, and decided to give mercy to his half-brother. Despite being nearly killed by him, Arthur told Orm that he was willing to talk, and became the new king of Atlantis.
Aquaman is briefly mentioned by Christopher Smith, who tells Jamil that the superhero has sex with fish, having heard it from Twitter user @PepetheFrog89. When Peacemaker and Task Force X were dealing with defeating the Butterflies and the Butterfly Cow, the Justice League were called by Amanda Waller to assist them. Aquaman, Superman, Flash and Wonder Woman arrived, but learned from Peacemaker that the situation was resolved. Before leaving, Aquaman became annoyed when Peacemaker mocked him for the rumor of sleeping with fish, with the Flash telling Curry that it isn't a rumor.
In a potential future, Superman was turned to the dark side after losing Lois and being turned by Darkseid, and became the leader of the Regime. Aquaman and the Justice League fought against them, but the former was apparently killed alongside Wonder Woman, leaving Batman to be killed by Superman in the Knightmare. Due to the Justice League stopping Steppenwolf, it's possible that this future has been undone.
Powers & Abilities
- Hybrid Physiology: Due to his half-Atlantean high-born heritage, Aquaman has incredible superhuman abilities, that surpass most other Atlanteans, deemed as the most developed traits of all Atlanteans, with only other high-born Atlanteans equaling his genetic attributes. He is also one of the most powerful members of the Justice League, only surpassed by Superman and Wonder Woman. He is also the only member to technically be "both a human and a god." Newspapers collected by Doctor Stephen Shin refer to Aquaman as the "underwater Superman."
- Superhuman Strength: Curry has displayed incalculable levels of superhuman strength. His incredible strength allowed him to easily master other creatures such as other trained elite humans, other Atlanteans, Parademons and Trench monsters. He is also able to break through metal doors and destroy it with his own hands. As such, Aquaman destroyed an undersea NSA aircraft with a single blow of his quindent, effortlessly broke David Kane's sword, mastered Kane's pirate crew on a submarine, and defeated many armored Men of War soldiers, Parademons, and Trench monsters. Aquaman's strength also extends to his ability to jump great distances. Aquaman was able to intercept an immense, falling bell before it could crush a girl and defeated the armored Black Manta after a prolonged duel, managing to attract Manta by expelling Black Manta's electric harpoon and throwing chains that were tied to large stones to destroy his helmet and finely make Manta street by a precipice. Aquaman was also able to stay in combat and sometimes beat his brother Orm during his first duel, although he eventually lost because he had no practice fighting in the water, and finally by taking his brother Orm to his element, on the surface, in his final battle he was able to defeat him. Aquaman also used his legs to prevent a massive tylosaurus from closing its mouth and forced six Atlantean guards to fight to hold its chains to contain it. Aquaman was also able to fight against the powerful Steppenwolf, managing to send the huge New God to fly with a blow from his quindent and prevent him from reaching Cyborg by pulling the Lasso of Hestia with Wonder Woman. The immense strength of Aquaman is only surpassed or equalled by Steppenwolf, Karathen, Wonder Woman, Orm and Superman.
- Superhuman Durability: Aquaman possesses incredible physical durability, including resistance to sharp blades, powerful explosions (on par with a 40mm grenade fired by Jesse Kane, falling from great heights (such as when he and Mera jumped into the ancient Kingdom of defectors), explosions of hand grenades, small arms and tremendous pressures underwater (with him managing to swim across the Kingdom of the Trench, and reach the Hidden Sea, without pain). Aquaman also resisted numerous blows from his half-brother Orm, Black Manta, and the Men-of-War soldiers, although Aquaman was stunned when Murk struck him with a power armor assisted punch. Aquaman survives many powerful blows from considerably stronger opponents, such as the New God Steppenwolf, the monstrous Karathen, and even a blow from the resurrected Superman himself (although that too severely stunned him). However, it's possible he is vulnerable to armor-piercing ammunition, given his tendency to avoid rifle or shotgun fire. In addition, Aquaman is vulnerable to extreme heat, since he was burned by the plasma beams from Black Manta, and when Orm saw that Aquaman and Mera's ship was falling in a puddle of molten lava, he believed they were dead. Still, Aquaman is still able to stand on the battlefield after receiving extreme physical punishment, which demonstrates his incredible durability after being injured.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Aquaman can heal from wounds at considerable superhuman rates, quicker than most other Atlanteans, as he survived many critical stabs while the Fisherman King died after one stab from Orm. After the serious injuries sustained from battling Black Manta, while requiring treatment from Mera, it only required a few hours to fully heal with no signs of lingering damage. He also appears to have a very high tolerance to alcohol, as he was hardly drunk after a whole day of drinking with his father (who was barely able to walk as a result of the amount of alcohol he consumed).
- Superhuman Speed: Curry can move and swim at extreme speeds, being able to move faster than Batman and pin him to a wall before Batman could react, as well as fight against the mighty Steppenwolf and parry all of his attacks.
- Superhuman Reflexes: While not on par with the likes of Flash and Superman, Aquaman's reflexes are still superhuman. He can catch a quindent thrown at him moments before it hit him, catch enemy blades swung at him, and dodged a second grenade launched at him.
- Superhuman Agility: Aquaman has a superhuman level of agility and coordination, able to dodge vicious attacks from skilled warriors like Steppenwolf, Orm, and Black Manta with great efficiency and still maintain enough control to counterattack. The also lets him support himself on speeding vehicles like the Batmobile.
- Superhuman Stamina: Aquaman is able to endure prolonged battles and adventures without tiring, even against the most dangerous of situations like the mighty Steppenwolf and the numerous Parademons.
- Superhuman Senses: Aquaman possesses enhanced senses to help him better navigate underwater.
- Enhanced Vision: Aquaman's vision lets him see in the darker environment of the sea, as his eyes reflect all available light, giving them a distinct sheen in darkness. From his perspective, the seemingly dark environment of Atlantis is brightly lit, with the vivid and vibrant flora and fauna of the sea being as clear as though he were on land.
- Amphibious Adaptation: As a high-born half Atlantean, Aquaman can survive both on land and in underwater environments for as long as he desires with no hindrance to his performance, unlike most Atlanteans.
- Aquatic Respiration: Due to his high-born Atlantean heritage, Aquaman is able to breathe both on lands and underwater, thereby meriting his superhero nickname. This also allows him to clearly talk underwater with others as if he was above water.
- Marine Telepathy: Aquaman is able to telepathically interact with sea life, and can induce them to ally with him, causing his eyes to glow golden. Indeed, according to the Karathen, Aquaman is the first Atlantean since Atlan himself to possess this ability. He first manifested this as a young child, when defending himself against two bullies. He could also communicate with the monstrous Karathen, much to the creature's surprise. After gaining the Trident of Atlan, Aquaman's powers of marine communication were boosted, granting him control over every oceanic creature on Earth, including the savage Trench (a feat that previously was considered impossible). It even allowed him to persuade the Karathen to battle alongside him in the Kingdom of the Brine.
- Hydrokinesis: Aquaman, as the heir of Atlan, can control water, though he has less practice with this ability than Mera. While under the docks of Gotham City, Aquaman was able to hold off a torrent of water from drowning the Justice League, and later created a barrier of water to protect him from Ocean Master's attacks during the war for Atlantis. After claiming the Trident of Atlan, Aquaman's control of water was considerably increased to allow him to generate and control massive tidal waves. Aquaman was able to use his hydrokinesis to push a submarine over his head, pushing it quickly to the surface without tension. While in water, Aquaman can generate an immense propulsive force, allowing him to swim at very high speeds of at least Mach 4.6, This propulsion is strong enough that it can cause a "sonic boom" effect. This action can also propel himself from the water and onto the surface and can travel the ocean faster than any naval vessel, thus quickly intercepting a Russian submarine.
- Gifted Intelligence: In contrast to his loutish personality, Arthur is well versed in the finer arts of knowledge and literature. His father had taught him many of the fundamental historical facts of human history as he was growing up, as well as learning more and more about the world and its various intrigues along his travels across the globe with Vulko as well as his own experiences.
- Expert Literarian: Aquaman is well-read and occasionally refers to works of literature, such as Friedrich Schiller's William Tell to Batman ("Strong man is strongest alone."), Herman Melville's Moby Dick to an Icelandic fisherman ("Whiskey. And one for Ahab there."), and one of Jules Verne's poems when describing the extremely unlikelihood of his parents' relationship ("Put two ships in the open sea without wind or tide, they will come together.").
- Multilingualism: Aquaman is fluent in various dialects ranging (but most likely not limited) to English, Icelandic, Russian, Maori, Spanish, and Italian.
- Master Combatant: Having been trained by Nuidis Vulko from a very young age, Aquaman is an extremely skilled fighter, both in armed combat and melee, whether it be above or in water. However, Vulko noted that Aquaman's years of surface combat have dulled his water combat prowess, making him less capable in such combat. He likewise has been taught very advanced combat techniques. His skill is able to defeat entire groups of highly trained Atlantean soldiers, human pirates, and Parademons, even fend off entire armies with relative ease. Aquaman could also hold his ground against his extremely skilled brother Orm for some time despite Orm's particular expertise in underwater combat and was ultimately able to defeat him in their final fight. When fighting the armored Black Manta, Aquaman was able to contend with and even ultimately outmatch him despite his use of Atlantean blades while Aquaman himself was unarmed and having been severely injured prior to coming out victorious. He was even capable of holding his own against the considerably stronger Steppenwolf repeatedly, once briefly pushing him back when having him off-guard in their first fight before getting subdued, later on managing to outfight him when he was injured quickly, as well as managing to injure the New God alongside Wonder Woman.
- Trident Mastery: Having been trained by Nuidis Vulko, Aquaman has become extremely skilled in battling with a trident, using one to defeat hordes of Parademons and faceoff against Steppenwolf wielding his axe and later on when fighting Orm for the throne, holding his ground against both opponents despite ultimately losing and besting his brother in their final duel. As per Vulko's training, Aquaman can employ a rare combat move, performing a rapidly-spinning with his trident so fiercely that it became a blur, which upon doing so will repel all attacks attempting to penetrate this trident defence. Indeed, after seeing Aquaman employ this move to win against Orm in their second duel, all Atlanteans, Xebellians, Fishermen, and the Brine present accepted him as the new King of Atlantis, and the Seven Kingdoms thus swore allegiance to King Arthur.
- Sword Mastery: While Aquaman rarely uses swords in combat, he was trained by Nuidis Vulko to be an exceptionally skilled swordsman. With his skill, Aquaman was able to seamlessly disarm a Man-of-War soldier of the latter's sword and used the sword to defeat him and the other attack soldiers.
- Expert Marksman: With his trident, Aquaman has immensely proficient marksmanship. He can strike down several Parademons with a single throw. Aquaman was notably able to throw it after being launched forward by Cyborg, spearing a distant Parademon in the chest from a considerable distance away.
- Master Swimmer: Aquaman, like all Atlanteans, is an extremely skilled swimmer, though Nuidis Vulko had to train him to swim like an Atlantean as well, with Arthur thus learning to quickly propel himself from water, like a dolphin.
- Trident of Atlan: Arthur currently possesses the Trident of Atlan as the new ruler of the underwater kingdom, Atlantis.
- Atlanna's Trident: Aquaman's first weapon, it once belonged to his mother Atlanna, former Queen of Atlantis, who left him the quindent after her departure. This weapon is extremely durable and capable to cause serious injury to even powerful beings, such as the new god Steppenwolf. In addition, the quindent is also able to help Aquaman control water, with him notably holding off the torrential force of a wave by repelling it with the quindent. The quindent seemingly appears to somewhat enhance Aquaman's speed while underwater, causing a massive shockwave of force as he fled from the United States Army's UUV drones. The trident was destroyed by Orm when he dueled his half-brother.
- A.R.G.U.S. has it listed on 1979.
- He is commonly misidentified as a Metahuman.
- Jason Momoa reprised his role as Aquaman in The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part. Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie were originally set to reprise their roles as Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn respectively in the film, with the former replacing Cobie Smulders from The Lego Movie, but Smulders ended up returning shortly before the film's release, while Harley Quinn was voiced by Margot Rubin instead of Robbie. This makes Momoa the only DCEU cast member to reprise his role in The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part.
Corto Maltese Freedom Fighters