|This hero was proposed but rejected by the community for not being admirable enough or lacks what is necessary to be a purely good hero. Therefore, this hero shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed heroes rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same do-gooder. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PG heroes.|
Any act of adding this hero to the Pure Good category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this hero without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|“||There it is. Isn't it fantastic?||„|
|“||I don't see how a world that makes such wonderful things could be bad.||„|
|“||Sofia's amulet brought me here to help. Now, what's going on, Sofia?||„|
|~ Ariel after she was reinforced by Sofia.|
|“||Of all the thingamabobs in this entire world, I never thought I'd get to wear a real... What's it called again? Oh yeah, shirt!||„|
|~ Ariel in Ralph Breaks the Internet.|
Queen Ariel (formerly Princess Ariel), also simply known as Ariel, is the titular main protagonist of The Little Mermaid franchise. She is the first Disney Princess to be of non-human heritage and also the first Disney Princess to beget a child.
She is the 7th, youngest daughter and mermaid princess of King Triton and Queen Athena, the love interest and later wife of Prince Eric, and the mother of Melody. She is loosely based on the nameless protagonist from the original novel by Hans Christian Andersen.
She is the protagonist of the original 1989 theatrical film The Little Mermaid and the television series of the same name, and the deuteragonist of the 2000 film The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea. She is also the titular protagonist of the 2008 prequel film The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning.
In all of her appearances, she is voiced by Jodi Benson who also voiced Asenath, Barbie, P.J. Sparkles, Patsy Smiles, Jane Doe, Helen of Troy, Tula, Lady, Thumbelina, and Ann Darrow in The Mighty Kong in English, and by Mayumi Suzuki who is replace Mari Okonogi in Wreck-It Ralph 2 in Japanese.
In Drawn Together series, she is voiced by Tara Strong. In Robot Chicken series, she is voiced by Lake Bell. In MAD series, she is voiced by Grey DeLisle and Rachel Ramras. In the video game, she is voiced by Kathryn Haywood.
Ariel is a very beautiful adolescent mermaid with an hourglass figure, fair skin, and large, deep aqua blue eyes. From childhood to her teenage years, she wore a lavender seashell bra. As a child, her lips were the same color as her skin and as a teenager, they are bright red. Ariel's most defining feature is her long, flowing, thick, bright red hair. From the waist down, she has a green horizontal fish-like tail with sea-green scales and sea-foam green fins and a matching V-shaped waist-line resembling fish-lips. She most likely has the reproductive organs of a tropical fish. In Little Mermaid's Island, her seashell bra looks more like a strapless top that covers all of her torsi. She is also shown to be fairly tall in human form, being only a few inches shorter than Eric, himself a fairly tall human.
When Ariel becomes a human, the only article of clothing she wore was her seashell bra but wears an old sail from a shipwreck with some rope to keep it closed, fashioned by her friend, Scuttle. Being prepared for dinner, she wears a pink and white gown, silver barrettes in her hair and pearl white earrings. Getting ready for bedtime, she wears a pink nightgown. After being taken in by Prince Eric, she wears a multi-shade-of-blue dress consisting of a powder-blue blouse with long sleeves, a midnight-blue bodice, and a cobalt-blue foot-length skirt, along with black heels. She wears a big royal blue bow in her hair. After she's turned into a human once again, she wears a light blue glittering dress. After she kisses Eric and during their wedding, she wears a white wedding dress with a sparkling golden tiara on her veil.
During and after her daughter, Melody's christening, she wears a gold and white dress and has her hair a low ponytail decorated with a white bow. She also wears a periwinkle gown with an up-do decorated with a golden tiara with green and white gems on her necklace and earrings during Melody's 12th birthday party with her hair being a bit shorter due to it being adjusted and pulled in a bun. She still wears the same up-do with a green peasant dress when she's on Eric's ship and a blue and white dress with light blue earrings in the song "Here on the Land and Sea" in the second movie. In one of the video games, she wears an aqua-colored gown with a matching flower on the side of her hair.
In Part of Your world, Ariel's color changed: brown skin, blue eyes, long, flowing, thick, dark red hair and lips, purple seashell bra, dark green horizontal fish-like tail with green scales and fins.
Ariel is a bright, spirited, beautiful, and vivacious young mermaid princess with a strong passion for adventure and exploration. She is very effervescent, headstrong, stubborn, and rebellious. Her tendency to explore the more mysterious depths of the ocean (or more importantly, the world beyond the ocean) can lead to an array of problems to both herself, her friends, and in the confines of her personal life - as seen through her constant confrontations with her overprotective father, King Triton. Nevertheless, Ariel's selflessness, loyalty, compassion, and intuitive way of thinking often resolve such problems, as she always takes full responsibility for her actions.
In addition, regardless of whatever scary and life-threatening danger that she has been involved in, Ariel finds a way to be eternally optimistic and never lets anything evil or traumatic corrupt her or make her feel negative, although she does have her rare negative moments, overall, she is an extremely positive person. However, during her third film, Ariel grew up mostly pessimistic due to her father banning music and fun from Atlantica after her mother's death, making life around the kingdom boring and frustrating for her, and despite her trying to lighten the mood around the kingdom now and again, her father becomes extremely annoyed and forces her to stop and obey his rules.
In the end, however, she manages to change her father's ways of life and bring music and fun back to Atlantica and Ariel becomes much more optimistic and hopeful, and so does her father, her sisters, and all of her friends. Her enthusiastic nature tends to have a rather great effect on many of the people around her, including very few villains, most notably Evil Mantis' son and eventually, Evil Mantis himself. Her best friend is a fish named Flounder, and she develops a close relationship with a crab named Sebastian, the court composer.
She is also quite spontaneous and impulsive, as evidenced by her exploring whilst forgetting about the concert. However, her impulsive nature does not impact her conscience, being portrayed as being extremely suspicious, reluctant, and hesitant to do something she knows or at least suspects is morally wrong to get what she wants, as evidenced by her reluctantly going to Ursula in the film as well as her reluctance to steal her father King Triton's trident as part of a dare in the third issue of the Marvel Comics.
Ariel is also shown to be extremely compassionate and loving; more so platonically than romantically. This is most notably seen through her friendship with her closest companion, Flounder, and even her father's court composer, Sebastian who, despite being against Ariel's recklessness and overly adventurous nature, is given a considerably large amount of love and respect from the princess, which is often reciprocated. With Flounder, she is comforting and patient, as well as protective, with the tendency to risk her own life for the guppies on various occasions.
Before she met Eric, she was very rarely interested in romantic relationships, not even with any of the merman princes that Triton tried to get her to marry. The only known exception was Prince Waverly of the Pacifica Kingdom, with whom she was infatuated. After meeting Eric, however, Ariel is revealed to be a romantic (a hopeless romantic to be exact), willing to make daring sacrifices for the sake of true love. Her love for him is validated by Eric's returned selflessness and sacrificial actions for the sake of love; notably seen during the climax of the film.
She can risk everything for her love for Eric and her dreams, even if this might hurt her. She is also protective of her friends, saving them even when in doing so she endangers herself in the process, this is especially evident when she saved Flounder (who had been knocked out hard enough to render his swim bladder temporarily inoperable and sink to the ocean floor) from Glut the Shark when nearly home free from him, getting herself eaten in the process (the only thing preventing him from eating them being an anchor in its way that trapped him), as well as saving Sebastian from potentially being Grimsby's meal and attempting to tell Eric to leave her behind and save himself just before Ursula emerged as a giant. She is also shown to be very forgiving and defended even people who were unable to do so themselves or were considered bad, as evidenced by her protecting Urchin despite the latter stealing from Triton as well as her defending a bad luck creature from both her friends and enemies for its reputation and her saving Hans Christian Andersen.
Another example of her forgiving side is in the fourth issue of Disney Comics where she decided, against Sebastian's statements, to save a human whose submersible was trapped, despite knowing full well that he tried to harm her beforehand. Ariel has also shown to be usually honest, outspoken, and persuasive, but lies when she feels that she has to, whether it's to keep herself from getting into trouble with her father, to protect someone she cares about, or to fool an enemy. So when Ariel is being dishonest, fraudulent, and untrustworthy, it is normally out of selflessness much more than selfishness. Like her father, Ariel has a bad temper if she ever is provoked, although hers is not as bad as his. As well, like her father, Ariel is also a conscientious pacifist who abhors violence and never supports it as a solution to anything.
However, if she absolutely has to or if it is to protect someone she cares about from an enemy, she will not hesitate to resort to violence and she shows herself to be a fairly impressive warrior princess, almost as good and heroic as her father. But in most circumstances, she prefers to use words, logic and peaceful solutions rather than violence, unless a situation is seriously out of the question. Although spirited, even she has had some degree of self-doubts about herself, as she actually at one point considered her father might have been correct and that she may have been a freak for having any fascination for humanity. She also had a degree of seeing good in things, as she also doubted that humanity could have been pure evil from their tools and artworks. Despite her usual naivety and impulsiveness, Ariel has shown on many occasions to be serious, careful, and very intelligent and intuitive, capable of learning from her mistakes and making up for any damage that she causes.
She loves singing and music, and hates violence and evil, she is also a hopeless romantic who is fond of girly dresses. However, she is also very energetic, active, brave, and is unafraid to speak her mind. She stands up for equal rights more abrasively, she likes playing or at least watching sports, and she is not afraid to get dirty. Also, she is rarely into fashion, jewelry or matriarchy like her sisters are and really only pretties herself up on important occasions, and she can hold her own against a shark, even a great white shark.
Also, many of her friends are male and she grew up with no mother since her mother died when she was just an infant. Also, before she met Eric, she was hardly interested in romantic relationships, not even with any of the merman princes that her father King Triton tried to get her to marry (similar to how Princess Jasmine did with the Sultan). In The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea, Ariel greatly matures after becoming a mother. Due to the threat of Morgana, Ursula's sister, she becomes very overprotective of Melody, in the same manner, she was treated by Triton in the first film. She is shown to long for the sea, but keeps this hidden from Melody for the latter's own safety; even though it would've been easier if she had explained everything to her, she even points this out in a later scene and at the film's climax. However, her most notable trait was her deep love and fascination for humans, having desired to become human during the events of the first film, even before meeting her future husband, Eric.
However, she did not always have this trait; until she was 15 years of age, she expressed a deep fear of humans similar to Triton's prejudiced of humans, although her witnessing some humans saving a beached dolphin changed her views on the matter. Ironically, one of the people responsible for saving the dolphin was Eric, although she never knew it. Regardless of her few flaws, Ariel is very much selfless, imaginative, sweet-natured, and inspirational. She tends to make many people (even very few enemies) smile and happy when she is present, both for her outer beauty and inner beauty. Ariel's love for Eric was indeed strong, pursuing him was not her main priority before encountering him, as she initially wanted to simply live among humans and be among them.
Powers and Abilities
- Mermaid Physiology: Ariel has several physical attributes that surpasses that of most other merpeople.
- Aquapathy: Ariel is capable of speaking with aquatic fauna as she can understand and communicate with marine creatures. She even still retains this ability, even in her human form.
- Superhuman Strength: As a mermaid, Ariel has strength much greater than normal humans and even certain aquatic/marine creatures.
- Superhuman Durability: As a mermaid, Ariel is able to withstand immense underwater pressures. She does not retain this ability while she is in her human form.
- Superhuman Speed: As a mermaid, Ariel can move amazingly fast in the water as it is known that she is the fastest mermaid in all of Atlantica. She does not retain this ability while she is in her human form.
- Speed Swimming: As a mermaid, Ariel was capable of swimming much faster in terms of undersea travel or sea travel. She was able to get to Atlantica from Prince Eric's kingdom in less than a day, as well as getting from Atlantica to Norway, in a similar time fashion. She does not retain this ability while she is in her human form.
- Underwater Breathing: As a mermaid, Ariel is able to metabolize oxygen from the water which negates the need to surface, although she is certainly more than capable of breathing on land. She does not retain this ability while she is in her human form.
- Thermoendurance: As a mermaid, Ariel is highly resistant to extremely warm/cold temperatures and environments, as demonstrated where she went to the arctic with minimal ill effects other than feeling a bit cold, as well as when she travelled to Morgana's lair, which was located inside an iceberg, and when visiting Ursula's, which was located in a volcanic region. She does not retain this ability while she is in her human form.
- Adaptability: Ariel is capable of mastering almost any skills or gaining knowledge very quickly. After becoming a human via Ursula's magic, she was able to learn how to stand up in a few minutes, if not a few seconds and move in the same time span, even quickly figured out how to run as well as quickly learning about the human customs. Ariel can also master other skills at a much faster pace, that would take normal humans months or even years to learn. These skills include dancing, horse riding, etc., as it has only taken her a few minutes, if not a few seconds to learn.
- Singing: Ariel is an excellent singer, which is a talent shared by all merpeople. She has the most beautiful voice in all of Atlantica as it is so beautiful, that even Eric had fallen in love with Ariel after only hearing her sing to him once, when she drew him to consciousness with her incredible voice after rescuing him from drowning at sea.
- Dancing: Ariel is an excellent dancer, which is a talent shared by most merpeople. After becoming human via Ursula's magic, she was able to dance with Eric with admirable skill as if she had been a human for years (this is partly due to her rapid adaptability). In Ariel's mermaid form, she can dance in a fashion similar.
- Expert Swimmer: As a mermaid, Ariel is an excellent swimmer. However, Ariel as a human (initially) was not very good at swimming. When Ariel became human (due to her inability to breathe underwater or swim without her mermaid tail that she was accustomed to), Flounder and Sebastian were forced to help her get to the surface, otherwise, she could drowned. However, Ariel has soon regained her swimming skills.
- Expert Rider: Ariel is an excellent animal rider as she can ride giant seahorses as well as command the reigns of a carriage controlled by Triton's dolphins relatively easily. In her human form, she is able to ride horses in a similar fashion.
- 5-Year old Ariel's laugh (from The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning)
- Ariel is the only Disney Princess to not be a mythical creature.
- Ariel is one of the most popular Disney Princesses (if not the most popular Disney Princess) probably because she was the only one not being born a human or because of her adventurous, rebellious and bubbly personality.
- Many fans consider Ariel to be Disney's most beautiful princess due to her colorful and exotic features.
- In Hebrew, Ariel translates to English as "lion of God".
- Ariel is the first Disney Princess to have red hair, the second being Merida.
- Ariel is the first Disney Princess to bare her midriff, the second being Jasmine, and the third being Kida (although she is not an official Disney Princess since her movie failed in the box office).
- She is the first Disney Princess to physically fight the villain of her movie.
- Ariel is the first Disney Princess to have magical powers, the second being Pocahontas, the third being Rapunzel, and the fourth being Queen Elsa.
- She is also arguably the physically strongest of all of the Disney Princesses, with Rapunzel being a very close challenge for her.
- Ariel is the first Disney Princess to have biological siblings, the second being Merida, and the third and fourth being Anna and Elsa.
- Ariel is the only one out of her sisters, as a mermaid, to not wear hair accessories, save for the occasional sea flower.
- Ariel is the fourth youngest Disney Princess, with Jasmine being the third youngest, Aurora being the second youngest, and Snow White being the youngest.
- Ariel has the most songs sung by any Disney movie character, although she only has one song in her original movie (not counting the reprise).
- Ariel is the first Disney Princess to save her prince.
- Ariel is the only Disney Princess to know sign language.
- Ariel is the first rebellious Disney Princess.
- Ariel is the first tomboy Disney Princess, the second being Jasmine, the third being Pocahontas, the fourth being Mulan, the fifth being Rapunzel, the sixth being Merida, and the seventh being Anna. However, all of them have girly traits as well, some more than others.
- Out of all of the Disney Princesses in the line-up, Ariel is mostly seen with Jasmine, Belle and Rapunzel.
- 1941 concept art of the original idea of The Little Mermaid (before shelved) shows Ariel with long black hair and a bluish or greenish tail. It was also much closer to the original story. This artwork was done by Kay Nielsen.
- In some foreign-language versions of the film, her name is in the title.
- A theory among Disney fans is that Ariel (alongside her sister and her father King Triton) are related to Hercules. Ariel's grandfather is confirmed to be Poseidon, whose brother is Zeus , whose son is Hercules. However, it is not confirmed whether or not the Disney incarnation of Poseidon from Hercules is in fact related to Ariel or her father, let alone the fact that The Little Mermaid is set roughly 3000 years after Hercules. This can however be countered by the fact King Triton is also a god, and is thus immortal.
Rolie Polie Olie
The Bite-Sized Adventures of Sam Sandwich
Sofia the First
Sheriff Callie's Wild West
Goldie & Bear
Mickey and the Roadster Racers/Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures
Fancy Nancy Clancy
Mira, Royal Detective