|“||Wasting your time'...? That's my line. I dunno how many of you there are, but I'll be the one to insta-kill you, so... All of you, bring it on. Right now!!||„|
|“||"I'm gonna become the Wizard King. Even if it kills me!!!"||„|
|~ Asta explaining to Sally why he'll never give up on becoming the Wizard King.|
Asta is the main protagonist of the Black Clover franchise. He is an orphan who was raised at a church in the village called Hage. He's a wielder of the 5-leaf clover grimoire, as well as a member of the Black Bulls and the Royal Knights. He's a 3rd Class Junior Magic Knight.
He is voiced by Gakuto Kajiwara in the Japanese version of the anime (in his very first voice-acting role), and by Dallas Reid in the English version of the anime.
Asta is a young man with a short stature, but a strong, ripped build and a pair of green eyes. He also has messy ash blond hair and a single strand protruding upwards from the center of his head. He keeps his hair together with a black headband, which has the gold-colored Black Bull insignia and a red-colored four-sided star with three stitches on it.
Asta's clothing consists of a white tunic with a V-shaped collar and long sleeves covered by a dark blue jacket whose sleeves extend only up to his elbows. He wears a pair of pants whose color is similar to his jacket, which has a stitch marks on the left knee. His pants also extends just below his knees. His shoes is made out of two different cloths, the parts covering his ankles, the soles the same color as his jacket and pants. The parts covering his toes are white, a vertical stitch mark going from the bridge to his toes.
After receiving his grimoire, Asta wears a pouch strapped to a brown leather belt. Additionally, as a Black Bull member, he wears his squad's signature robe, which is black and short with gold trimming and that covers the upper half of his torso. It also has a hood and a gold-colored button located at the right-hand side to hold it together, while the left-hand side displays the squad's insignia.
Asta is a cheerful and hyperactive boy who tends to shout a lot to express his thoughts and expresses his goals, without a care in the world for other people's opinions, as seen when he expressed his goal of becoming a Wizard King during the Magic Knights entrance exam, where he tells other people who disagree with him to shut up. His strong tenacity attracts Yami Sukehiro enough to recruit him into his ranks. His strong determination also leads him to have a strong will to never give up and keep standing during difficult battles, as acknowledged by Magna Swing.
Because of his upbringing at the Forsaken region, Asta frequently receives harsh opinions and insults from almost everyone he meets. This makes Asta have a slightly sarcastic nature as he tries to defend himself. But, having received harsh opinions from others, Asta has developed an immunity to them as he could easily brush them off without getting overly irritated. However, Asta is still annoyed when others deeply insult his comrades; he will not hesitate to confront them as he comes to the defense of his friends.
Asta has a very strong sense of justice, which is shown during his fight against Heath Grice, as he believes that everyone deserves to be protected. He is also not limited to only his comrades but his enemies as well, as when he asks his fellow squadmates to take the unconscious Mars along with them while the dungeon is collapsing. He argues that their mission is only to explore a dungeon and not to kill any enemies. Therefore, Asta seems to see the positive side of everyone and never takes an insult too seriously, as seen when he still befriends both Yuno and Noelle Silva, even after both given him harsh opinions.
His open, friendly and non judgmental attitude and indomitable will and stubborness has earned him hig regards of almost everybody he crosses paths with, even nobles such as Klaus and Fuegoleon Vermillion. It has also earned him the affection of plenty of girls, though due to having his heart set on Sister Lily he is highly oblivious to the fact.
|“||Sacrificing citizens for the sake of the country? What kind of prosperity is that?! If you want a fight that badly... Then I'll crush you all!!!||„|
Powers & Abilities
Despite a sudden mutation causing not the slightest bit of mana to inhabit Asta, he continued training his body to match Mages, which allowed him to perform physical feats confused for being reinforced using magic. However, it was due to being born without mana that Asta could become Liebe's host and use his Anti-Magic without being inhibited. Since joining the Black Bulls, he has accomplished feats no other peasant, commoner, or Mage could without magic, defeating several powerful opponents such as Mars, Fana (Elf) + Salamander, Ladros enhanced using Salamander, as well as powerful devils such as Zagred.
Anti-Magic: Despite not having even the slightest mana in him, Asta can control Anti-Magic, a unique power that nullifies all manner of magic and mana without repercussions to him. This linked to the Devil, Liebei sealed inside of his five-leaf clover grimoire. Because of the uniqueness of this power, which defies common standards, Asta is classified as an Arcane Stage Mage.
- Bull Thrust: After charging forward, either helped by others or in his Black Asta state, he directs both his Demon-Slayer and Demon-Dweller Swords in front of him, piercing through spells and magic lifeforms in his path dispelling them on contact.
- One-Horn Bull Thrust: A variant where he uses one Anti-Magic Sword instead.
- Black Meteorite: As Black Asta, he charges at his target, dealing a powerful slash against an opponent, while in range, negating spells and magics, cutting them without causing life-threatening physical harm. It can be used using either of his Anti-Magic Swords.
- Black Hurricane: As Black Asta, he swings around at high-speed, pulling various spells towards himself, which negatives them using his Anti-Magic Sword, capable of negating an entire field of magic and traps in an instant time.
- Black Divider: Using his Demon-Slayer Sword, Asta covers and defenses Anti-Magic around the edges of his blade, increasing it several times it normal size, letting him slice through several powerful magic all from the Underworld, killed a high-ranked devil, Zagred, reflect magic; at the largest highest, it was able to cleave through a massive structure.
- Black Slash: Using his Demon-Dweller Sword, Asta releases slashes filled with Anti-Magic, slashing the magic in front of it and has enough force to knock an opponent backwards into a wall or ceiling.
No Mana: Because of a sudden mutation, Asta was born with no mana, making him unable to utilize even simple magic, however, it allows to use both Anti-Magic or Anti-Magic Swords without the usual mana draining effects. It makes him undetectable by mana sensors, and immune to the life-draining substances from the Underworld.
Ki: A principle originating from the Land of the Rising Sun, learned from Yami, letting Asta use his sixth sense to perceive and react to attacks before hitting him.
Devil Host: As the wielder of a five-leaf clover grimoire, Asta is linked to the Liebe, the source of the Anti-Magic, granting him access to the power. In later chapters, the more power he draws on, the more devil-like he becomes to the point of altering his appearance. Having undergone the Devil-Binding Ritual, he formed a pact with Liebe to share power as equals instead of him domineering over him.
- Black Asta: This is a form that Asta assumes through the Anti-Magic circulate throughout him instead of merely his swords, covering the right section of his arm around his shoulder, granting him a single wing, horn, and turns his right eye red. In his Black Asta state, he gains enhanced strength and speed, flight, a clear and focused mind. It allows him to hone in on and negate all magic in his path albeit this isn't at all a conscious act, however, he can use it twice a day (forcing a third). After being consumed by malice, Asta is covered in more Anti-Magic covering the right second of his body, gaining clawed arms and foot.
- Devil Arm: He later sacrificed his right arm to Liebe for more power, turning it more corrupted, letting him use more Anti-Magic, enabling him to negate a Gravity Singularity and coat weapons in Anti-Magic. But, he was unable to use this new power for more than 5 seconds (likely due to his already exhausted state).
- Devil Union: Since undergoing the Devil-Binding Ritual, Asta became able to unite with Liebe, which allows him to under a special transformation different from his usual Black Asta Form, where he attains the physical traits of the Devil. On his first attempt, both united and removed a spell without a physical form and part of Nacht's Unite Mode: Canis without touching him, a more completed version allowed him to kill a Giant Demon similar to the one defeated by the Wizard King.
Enhanced Strength: Asta has high-levels of strength, performing over thousands push-ups during several of his training sessions, swing large swords, punch or throw full-grown men far larger than himself, and punching holes in walls, all of which were done using one hand. After his arms were healed by the Witch Queen, she made them stronger and sturdier than before using her Blood Magic.
Enhanced Durability: Asta is highly durable, capable of standing back up despite receiving brutal attacks from a number of different Mages such as Revchi, Heath, Mars, Patolli, and Ladros empowered by Salamander.
Enhanced Speed: Asta has high level speed, which caused experienced Magic Knight Captain such as William to believe he was using magic to reinforce himself.
Heightened Instincts: He has displayed heightened instincts, which has allowed him to unconsciously move his body in the best manner possible to defend himself.
Master Swordsman: Unskilled at first, Asta used a rough style having not received basic training, however, after receiving training from a master swordsman, Fanzell Kruger. He has developed greater skills by attaining real-life combat experience, additional swords and Ki, as well as from multiple battles alongside and against other magic swordsmen such as Franzell, Mars, Kiato, Licht, and Yami.
Keen Intellect: Despite appearing, hyperactive, headstrong, and dumb, Asta has proven himself to be intelligent and thoughtful in his own right. He can understand various situations he gets himself in and act tactical whenever the situations calls for it, cutting out curses using his swords, thinking tactically, figuring out Ki after being guided in the middle of combat, as well as tapping into the powers of his Demon-Slayer Sword after watching the original wielder use one of his original swords in battle.
Grimoire: Asta owns a tattered black five-leaf clover grimoire, which he received during his fight against Revichi, originally a white four-leaf clover belonging to the Elf Leader, Licht before being corrupted by Zagred and where Liebe inhabits who become the source of Asta's Anti-Magic. Also housed inside this black grimoire are multiple Anti-Magic Swords, three of which belonged to Licht (two of them were found by Asta), however, against normal targets, these swords reduced to blunt weapons.
- Demon-Slayer Sword: Asta's first sword, a massive greatsword, which allows him to cut and deflect an assortment of magic. Following his six month training, he can control the Anti-Magic housed in the sword, letting him ride on top of the blade and call back the sword through calling its name.
- Demon-Dweller Sword: Asta's second sword, a broadsword, which allows him to cut through borrow the magic from others to release slashes that has different magic attributes. Following his six moth training, he learned to releases slashes of Anti-Magic.
- Demon-Destroy Sword: Asta's third sword, a unique sword, which allows him to generate tendrils made from Anti-Magic that absorbs and removes the aftereffects of spells.
- Demon-Slasher Katana: Asta's fourth sword, a katana that originally belonged to Yami, which has been imbued with Anti-Magic, letting him deal heavy damage to a devil-powered Dante at full strength.
- Asta's most favorite person is sister Lily who took care of him while he was living in Hage.
- According to his Question Brigade Rankings:
- Asta is the eleventh smartest Black Bull.
- Asta is the second most muscular character.
- Asta is the fifth worst singer.
- However, his Japanese sub va actor, Gakuto Kajiwara (who also voiced Shinra Kusakabe from Fire Force), sang the 12th ending of Black Clover, titled "A Walk."
- Asta ranked first in the first and second popularity polls.
- Through the course of the series, Asta has gained the affection of many girls he has met such as Noelle, Mimosa, Rebecca, Nero, and even Gauche's sister Marie. This is ironic considering the only girl he has his heart on is sister Lily, who refuses to marry him.
- In the one shot of the manga, his surname is Staria.
- It's theorized that the reason that Asta was born without mana was because his mother, Richita, whose body absorbs mana and life-force from anyone around her, which might've included Asta.
Yami Sukehiro (Captain) | Nacht Faust (Vice-Captain) | Asta | Noelle Silva | Charmy Pappitson | Gauche Adlai | Zora Ideale | Finral Roulacase | Vanessa Enoteca | Grey | Gordon Agrippa | Magma Swing | Luck Voltia | Henry Legolant | Nero
Nozel Silva (Captain)
Jack the Ripper (Captain)
Dorothy Unsworth (Captain) | Kirsch Vermillion (Vice-Captain)
Charlotte Roselei (Captain) | Sol Marron
Kaiser Granvorka (Captain)
Rill Boismortier (Captain)
Lily Aquaria | Marie Adlai | Karna Freese | Orsi Orfai
Kahono | Kiato
Lolopechka | Gadjah | Potrof
Licht | Patolli | Charla | Rhya | Vetto | Fana)
Liebe | Gimodelo | Slotos | Plumede | Walgner
Sylph | Salamander | Undine
Dominante Code | Fanzell Kruger | Mariella| Ralph Niaflem