|“||Sean Cassidy: I’m going to be... Banshee
Hank McCoy: Why do you want to be named after a wailing spirit?
Sean Cassidy: You may want to cover your ears...
|~ Banshee and Beast, with Cassidy telling his teammates on using his ability.|
Sean Cassidy, also known as Banshee, is a supporting character from the 2011 film "X-Men: First Class", and a flashback character in X-Men: Apocalypse. He is a mutant with the ability to create powerful sonic waves with his voice, and becomes a member of Division X and the X-Men to stop the Hellfire Club.
He is portrayed by Caleb Landry Jones.
X-Men: First Class
After the Hellfire Club tried to recruit them, Sean and the others relocated to Xavier's mansion where they began training to defeat Shaw. Xavier taught him how to control his ability and use it to fly by using a harness developed by Hank McCoy.
Banshee witnessed Erik come from the sub with Sebastian Shaw's corpse, and later saw him attempt to kill the American and Soviet soldiers with missiles. Banshee and the others attempt to help Charles when he attacks Erik, but the latter stops them by using his powers. After Erik leaves with Mystique, Azazel, Angel and Riptide, Banshee helps Charles as he has become disabled.
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Some time later but prior to 1973 he was killed, likely as part of Bolivar Trask's experiments on mutants.
Powers and Abilities
- Sonokinesis: Banshee has superhumanly powerful lungs, throat and vocal cords and can manipulate the sound waves created through his voice.
- Sonic Scream: Banshee can produce a powerful sonic scream for various effects.
- Sonar: Banshee can use his sonic abilities to replicate the effects of a sonar. By emitting a precise note he can assess his surroundings even underwater or in complete darkness.
- Flight: Banshee can hover or fly at the speed of sound using the sonic waves he emits from his mouth to propel him.
- Superhuman Immunity: Banshee's hearing and equilibrium are unaffected by the sonic sounds he emits.
- Unlike his comic book counterpart, Banshee is American instead of Irish.
- Irish actor Robert Sheehan originally had the role of Banshee before leaving due to his commitments to Misfits.