Barnacle Boy is one of the semi-retired superheroes of Bikini Bottom from SpongeBob SquarePants, the other being Mermaid Man. They are the favorites of SpongeBob and Patrick and both live in a retirement home doing things retired people do. While being on superhero duty, fighting off villains including Man Ray (arch-nemesis) and Dirty Bubble (second arch-nemesis).
He was voiced by the late comedian Tim Conway.
Barnacle Boy is depicted as being the under-credited and underappreciated younger sidekick of Mermaid Man. Grumpy and slightly ill-tempered, Barnacle Boy is notable for his brooding, moody disposition and exasperation with his partner's absentminded behavior as a result of old age, and even into his golden years, Barnacle Boy is still treated in a juvenile fashion, coddled in an infantile way.
|“||"Stop calling me boy."||„|
|~ Barnacle Boy|
|“||"That's Barnacle Man."||„|
|~ Barnacle Boy|
- They are a parody of the following superheroes:
- Aquaman and Aqualad because of their appearance similarities.
- Batman and Robin because their action and adventures are based on their first show.
- Their version of Jingle Bells song is also a spoof of Batman version of the song Jingle Bells which was usually sung at Christmas.
- Young Barnacle Boy was voiced by Burt Ward (who also portrays Robin in the 1966 live-action television series of the same name).
- Incidentally, Young Mermaid Man was voiced by the late Adam West, Burt Ward's co-star on the live-action series as Batman.
- Mermaid Man is about 5'9 and 225 lbs while Barnacle Boy is about 5'6 and 160 lbs.
- His real name is based on his voice actor Tim Conway.
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, along with Grandma Squarepants are the three retired characters from Spongebob SquarePants series, after Mermaid Man's VA Ernest Borgnine passed away in 2012.
- Barnacle Boy's VA Tim Conway passed away in 2019.