- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Beast from the X-Men film series. The mainstream version can be found here: Beast.
|Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: "With great power comes great responsibility."
Spider-Man has declared that this article is still under construction.
| This stub is making Kirby hungry with its lack of substance.|
This article or section is a stub. You can help the Heroes Wiki by expanding it!
What are you waiting for? GO!
|“||My boy, I have been fighting for mutant rights since before you had claws.||„|
|~ Beast to Wolverine in The Last Stand.|
|“||I probably shouldn't be asking this sort of thing, but in the future, do I make it?||„|
|~ Young Beast to Wolverine in Days of Future Past.|
Doctor Henry Philip "Hank" McCoy, also known Beast, is a character from the X-Men Movies, playing a supporting role in the original timeline, and later plays a major role in the revised timeline.
Hank is portrayed by Steve Bacic in a cameo in X2: X-Men United, by Kelsey Grammer in X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Days of Future Past, and by Nicholas Hoult in the prequel X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, X-Men: Apocalypse, in his cameo in Deadpool 2, and in Dark Phoenix. Grammer also portrays Frasier Crane in Cheers and Frasier, while Hoult also portrays Jack in Jack the Giant Slayer and Nux in Mad Max: Fury Road.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Personality
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 External Link
- 7 Navigation
Hank McCoy was a child prodigy, having graduated Harvard at age fifteen. He was eventually recruited to work as a researcher for the CIA's "Division X", wherein he investigated supersonic flight and built the Cerebro prototype.
X2: X-Men United
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: First Class
One day, he was approached by the Man in Black, Charles Xavier, Erik Lehnsherr, Moira MacTaggert, and Raven Darkhölme during the early formation of the X-Men as a black ops group. When Charles accidentally exposed him as a mutant, the urbane Hank displayed his physical mutation of prehensile feet and agility; greatly impressing Raven. He became instantly smitten with her, and a budding attraction was evident between them.
Hank revealed that he had been working on a serum to cure his physical mutation but leave his abilities intact. He believed that Raven's ability to alter her appearance would hold the key to perfecting it. He requested a sample of her blood, during which they shared each others' wish to appear "normal" as well as a kiss.
However, Erik's constant validation of her true beauty and self overturned her opinion, and when Hank finished the serum she refused to take it. He returned to his lab and injected himself and his animal-like feet seemed to revert to normal. However, they quickly changed back and McCoy underwent a radical transformation which resulted in him manifesting blue fur all over his body and taking on a more beast-like appearance with the addition of fang-like teeth, pointed ears, and claws. The serum had the opposite effect he'd intended, it enhanced his mutation instead of dampening it.
After trashing his lab, he left a note and a box containing the team's suits and met them at the hanger holding their stealth jet of his design. Mystique remarked that he was "beautiful" and this was "truly who he was meant to be." After lashing out at Erik when he remarked "Never looked better", Hank was given the codename "Beast" by Havok.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: Beast can lift objects that weigh up to 10 tons relatively easily. He is also able to overpower several individuals simultaneously and send them flying several feet away with little to no effort. Beast possesses enough strength to destroy the original Sentinels with some effort.
- Superhuman Durability: Beast was able to withstand several blows from Azazel and was completely unfazed by the latter's blows.
- Superhuman Endurance: Beast can continue to fight back against Azazel; despite the fact that he had received several blows from the latter.
- Superhuman Speed: Beast can run at speeds up to 40 miles an hour over short distances. Even before Beast's second mutation, he was capable of running around the entire X-Mansion in seconds.
- Superhuman Agility: Beast is able to perform acrobatic and gymnastic stunts; such as flips, rolls and springs.
- Superhuman Stamina: Beast's advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than that of normal humans. As a result, his muscles produce practically no fatigue toxins during physical activity compared to those of humans. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all.
- Superhuman Jumping: Beast can jump more than 15 feet off the ground.
- Superhuman Leaping: Beast can leap 25 feet in a single bound.
- Superhuman Immunity: Beast is immune to most, if not all types of diseases, illnesses, sickness, drugs, poisons, toxins, radiation, disorders, disabilities, etc. As noted by Wolverine when he encountered Beast as a young adult; even in his human form, he is still very strong, implying that Beast's body is significantly resistant to his own serum.
- Superhuman Longevity: Despite being 70 years old, Beast still maintains the physical appearance of a man in his prime. Even in 2023 when he has to be at least 80 years old, he again still maintains the same appearance.
- Sharp Teeth: Beast possesses razor-sharp teeth, that are capable of biting through most materials; such as flesh, wood, stone and metal.
- Retractable Sharp Claws: Beast possesses retractable razor-sharp claws that are capable of cutting through most materials; such as flesh, wood, stone and metal.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Hank is highly intelligent, as he is an expert in science, genetics, biochemistry, electronics, mechanics, technology and several other subjects, as well as the fact that he was the one who designed the Blackbird, the X-Jet, the X-Men uniforms, vehicles and gadgets for his team; making Hank one of the most, if not the most intelligent member of the X-Men.
- Master Acrobat: Due to Beast's superhuman agility, he is an excellent acrobat and gymnast; as he is skilled in all kinds of acrobatics and gymnastics.
- Master Combatant/Martial Artist: Beast is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist. He was able to best Azazel and Magneto relatively easily; despite both of them being highly skilled combatants in their own right. Beast's combat skills combined with his superhuman physical attributes; makes him a formidable opponent alone in single combat.
- Expert Pilot: Hank is a highly skilled pilot. He is capable of flying most aircrafts; such as the Blackbird, a war plane and the X-Jet.
|“||The world needs the X-Men.||„|
|~ Hank McCoy to Raven.|
Hank is one of the few pure good mutants in the world, having never wavered into the darker side, mutants like Magneto and Shaw have created. While always on the side of good, during much of his youth, Hank was ashamed of his mutant heritage. McCoy tried to hide his abilities, in fear others would judge him, even going so far as to create a cure that would strip him of his mutant DNA. Eventually with the help of Charles Xavier, he learned to accept his mutant nature and became a very important figure in the mutant world.
Over many decades (and in both timelines), Hank has protected both human and mutant-kind, both on the battlefield and in the courtroom. He helped Charles build his school for Mutants, serving as a teacher and mentor for many years. Hank eventually left the school and has been working for mutant rights, even taking up a government position, becoming the head of mutant affairs to the President.
Hank is brave and selfless, willing to sacrifice his own life for the protection of his friends and family. Usually, Hank carried himself with a very polite demeanor unless aggravated. His greatest attribute is his near superhuman intelligence, which has gotten himself and the X-Men out of many bad scenarios. Hank has a brother-like relationship with Xavier, remaining by his side even at a time when Xavier did not believe in himself, helping him create the X-Men and staying with Charles to help his school grow. He also formed a close friendship with Scott Summers, designing special glasses and a visor for the boy and working closely with him during the battle against Apocalypse and his horsemen. This friendship probably due to Hank's friendship with Scott's late brother, Alex.
- He was originally suppose to appear in X-Men, but was cut.
- Elements of him were incorporated into Jean Grey.
- Lucas Till was originally casted to play Beast, but decided not to because of the long time to took to place the makeup. Nicholas Hoult was given the role, and Till would portray Havok.
- He was suppose to appear in Deadpool, but it was cut.
- He was planned to be a main character in in his own film titled X-Men: Fear the Beast.
- There were likely plans for future films following Dark Phoenix where he would permanently remain in his beast form.