Behemoth, also dubbed Titanus Behemoth, is a minor character in the 2019 film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. He is a giant mammalian kaiju who appears as a minor Titan that obeys Ghidorah, later Godzilla.
Behemoth was among the many titans awakened from his slumber in Brazil by Ghidorah's call, he attacked Rio de Janeiro before making his way to Boston along with Methuselah, Scylla and the six-legged MUTO, there, they found the alpha they were following, Ghidorah, slain at the hands of Godzilla, Rodan approached Godzilla to challenge him, but was intimidated by his gaze and ultimately submitted, the other titans all followed suit, each "bowing" in their own way to the new king of the titans. News outlets reported afterward that Behemoth's trail of destruction had begun to restore clear-cut parts of the Amazon rainforest.
Behemoth is a gigantic mammalian creature resembling a sloth, mammoth and gorilla. He knuckle-walks like an ape using his long and muscular forelimbs which are larger than his hind legs. Behemoth's most notable trait are his colossal mammoth-like tusks which jut downward from his cheeks. Behemoth is covered in light brown fur, and appears to have greenish vines or algae growing on his otherwise gray tusks. Behemoth possesses a row of bumpy triangular spikes running along his back, which Monarch describes as being made of "unbreakable granite fortified with metal and ore."
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a titan, Behemoth is incredibly powerful; as he possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other titans.
- Advanced Strength: Behemoth is far stronger than most other titans; for example, he can use his strong and sharp tusks to destroy buildings with ease. He can also attack with the claws on his front limbs while standing on his hind legs.
- Advanced Durability: Behemoth is far more durable than most other titans; for example, his fur is essentially fireproof, as fire cannot burn on it. Very little of the heat from the fire actually affects Behemoth's skin, which makes it merely a nuisance.
- Advanced Stamina: Behemoth possesses far more stamina then most other titans; allowing him to remain physically active for long periods of time.
- Reforestation: Behemoth's movement leaves behind trace amounts of radiation which, as a result, grow jungle-like foliage in his path. One noticeable example of this was when clear-cut portions of the Amazon rainforest spawned due to Behemoth's radiation.
Advanced Combatant: Behemoth can attack his opponents with his tusks and the claws on his front limbs while standing on his hind legs.
- The outpost Behemoth was contained in, Monarch Outpost 58, is a possible reference to the 1958 Toho film Varan.
- The sound system used on-set for Godzilla: King of the Monsters to create Titan roars was nicknamed "Behemoth".
- Michael Dougherty created Behemoth as a companion mammal for Kong, feeling that too many Toho monsters were reptiles or insects. A mammoth was chosen because of Dougherty's fascination with woolly mammoths, but elements of sloths and primates were added to stop Behemoth from being just a giant mammoth.
- Early in production, Behemoth was a giant six-tusked mammoth with vegetation-like growths on his legs, and he appeared to have a wilder and more crazed disposition.
- Behemoth is Michael Dougherty's favourite new Titan.
- Behemoth has become one of the more popular new kaiju from the film by fans. Even as far as Y-MSF having a figure made for him to be sold commercially.