Behemoth, also dubbed Titanus Behemoth, is a minor character in the 2019 film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters. He is a giant mammalian kaiju who appears as a minor Titan that obeys Ghidorah, later Godzilla.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Behemoth was among the many Titans awakened from his slumber in Brazil by Ghidorah's call, he attacked Rio de Janeiro before making his way to Boston along with Methuselah, Scylla and the six-legged MUTO, there, they found the alpha they were following, Ghidorah, slain at the hands of Godzilla, Rodan approached Godzilla to challenge him, but was intimidated by his gaze and ultimately submitted, the other Titans all followed suit, each "bowing" in their own way to the new king of the Titans. News outlets reported afterward that Behemoth's trail of destruction had begun to restore clear-cut parts of the Amazon rainforest.
Godzilla Dominion and Godzilla vs. Kong
As show in the prequel comic, Behemoth is first seen fighting Amhuluk in the Amazon rainforest. During the fight, Amhuluk breaks one of his tusks off, prompting Behemoth to use his other tusk to bash his opponent in the face. Amhuluk responds by knocking Behemoth to the Amazon River. Just as Amhuluk is about to kill Behemoth, Godzilla arrives and chases Amhuluk away, saving Behemoth's life. At the end of the graphic novel, Behemoth and the other Titans are sent into dormancy by Godzilla. Alarmed by energy signature emitted by Ghidorah's remains that desecrated by Apex Cybernetics, Godzilla sends his and other Titans back into dormancy. He remains dormant as his alpha instructed throughout the events of Godzilla vs. Kong, leading Monarch to label her status as "Defeated" due to unaware with the reason of her inactivity.
Behemoth is a gigantic mammalian creature resembling a bear, mammoth and gorilla. He knuckle-walks like an ape using his long and muscular forelimbs which are larger than his hind legs. Behemoth's most notable trait are his colossal mammoth-like tusks which jut downward from his cheeks. Behemoth is covered in light brown fur, and appears to have greenish vines or algae growing on his otherwise gray tusks. Behemoth possesses a row of bumpy triangular spikes running along his back, which Monarch describes as being made of "unbreakable granite fortified with metal and ore."
Powers and Abilities
- Titan Physiology: As a Titan, Behemoth is incredibly powerful as he possesses various physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other Titans.
- Advanced Strength: Behemoth possesses large amounts of immense physical strength, partly because of his enormous size as he is strong enough to destroy buildings with ease.
- Advanced Durability: Behemoth demonstrates large amounts of durability as his thick fur is essentially fireproof since fire cannot burn on it. Very little of the heat from the fire actually affects his skin, which makes it merely a nuisance. During his battle with Amhuluk, he was outmatched and ended up getting one of his tusks broken before Godzilla intervened.
- Advanced Stamina: Behemoth's musculature is considerably more efficient. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all, never needing to stop during his battle with Amhuluk. Even when he makes his way all the way to Boston, Behemoth does not even seem to have any obvious signs of fatigue until he reaches his destination to challenge Godzilla.
- Reforestation: Behemoth's radiation can restore jungles every time he passes through. After Godzilla took command of the Titans in Boston, he used this ability on the Amazon rainforest, with areas of the Amazon damaged by clearcutting undergoing rapid regrowth.
- Excrement: It is assumed that Behemoth's feces can be used as a highly effective fertilizer.
- Advanced Combatant: Behemoth can use his tusks and claws in combat against other Titans such as Amhuluk. In battle, he can attack with his claws while standing on his hind legs as well as charging with his tusks like an elephant.
- Sharp Tusks: Similar to a woolly mammoth, Behemoth possesses two large tusks protruding from his face that can be used as formidable weapons. He can use these massive tusks to destroy structures in his path and even bludgeon other Titans. After having one of his tusks broken during his fight with Amhuluk, it is revealed that it can essentially regenerate from damage.
- Sharp Claws: Similar to a grizzly bear, Behemoth has razor-sharp claws which are sufficient to rend most materials.
Godzilla and Behemoth seem to have a respectful relationship. In 2019, Behemoth does not attack Godzilla, but instead bows to him to show how he respects and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan.
- The outpost Behemoth was contained in, Monarch Outpost 58, is a possible reference to the 1958 Toho film Varan.
- The sound system used on-set for Godzilla: King of the Monsters to create Titan roars was nicknamed "Behemoth".
- Michael Dougherty created Behemoth as a companion mammal for Kong, feeling that too many Toho monsters were reptiles or insects. A mammoth was chosen because of Dougherty's fascination with woolly mammoths, but elements of sloths and primates were added to stop Behemoth from being just a giant mammoth.
- Early in production, Behemoth was a giant six-tusked mammoth with vegetation-like growths on his legs, and he appeared to have a wilder and more crazed disposition.
- Behemoth is Michael Dougherty's favourite new Titan.
- Behemoth has become one of the more popular new kaiju from the film by fans. Even as far as Y-MSF having a figure made for him to be sold commercially.