- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Black Canary from the DC Extended Universe. The mainstream version can be found here: Black Canary (DC).
|This hero was proposed but was rejected by the community for not being admirable enough or lacks what is necessary to be a purely good hero. Therefore, this hero shall be added to our "Never Again List", where proposed heroes rejected by the community shall be placed to prevent future proposals of the same do-gooder. They can be proposed again (with the permission of an administrator) if new elements appear in their series that can change their status as non-PG heroes.|
Any act of adding this hero to the Pure Good category without a proposal or creating a proposal for this hero without the permission of an administrator will result in a ban.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Black Canary (DC Extended Universe) contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
Dinah Lance, also known by her alias Black Canary, is one of the two deuteragonists (alongside Cassandra Cain) of Birds of Prey.
She is a former resident chanteuse at the Black Mask Club and a personal chauffeur for Gotham City crime lord Roman Sionis. She is also a powerful meta human, inheriting her distinct sonic scream ability from her late mother. After becoming disillusioned with Sionis due to his cruelty towards others, she eventually fought back against him with the assistance of Harley Quinn, Huntress, and GCPD detective Renee Montoya in order to protect Cassandra Cain when the latter stole the Bertinelli Diamond from him. Once Sionis was killed in their final confrontation, she, alongside Huntress and Montoya, formed a vigilante team named the Birds of Prey to fight crime more effectively together.
She was portrayed by Jurnee Smollet.
Nothing is known about Dinah's past, except that while growing up, her mother worked alongside the Gotham City Police Department, utilizing her meta0human ability to produce supersonic vibrations through screaming. At some point, however, she was killed and as a result, Dinah was left on her own on the streets of Gotham. As such, Lance harbored a resentment towards GCPD, and was reluctant to use her powers for good like her mother.
Birds of Prey
At one point, Lance began working as a singer in the club of crime lord Roman Sionis, which allowed her to move off of the streets. She entertained guests with her powerful performing abilities and repertoire, which included the song "It's a Man's Man's Man's World"; although as noted by Harley Quinn, no one ever seemed to pay attention to her performances.
While she did not aspire to anything more, after Sionis observed her using her powerful martial arts skills to ward off people attacking Harley Quinn, he decided to hire her as his new driver. In her role as his driver, Lance was approached by GCPD detective Renee Montoya to work as a mole, and was present when the pickpocket Cassandra Cain stole the Bertinelli Diamond from Sionis' right-hand man, Victor Zsasz.
After witnessing Sionis intimidate and humiliate a woman whom he thought had laughed at him, Lance became disillusioned with his whole operation, and resolved to work against him. Lance told Detective Montoya the location of the Bertinelli Diamond after Sionis sent her and Zsaz to retrieve it at the Booby Trap; however, unbeknownst to her, Victor then discovered her betrayal, resolving to take her down once at the abandoned fun house.
After fighting off Victor with Quinn, Montoya, and Helena Bertinelli at the Booby Trap, she banded together with them to protect Cassandra Cain from Roman Sionis and his goons. It was towards the end of this fight that she used her sonic scream to knock out the remaining men, in order for Quinn and Huntress to chase down Sionis and Cain.
After successfully defeating Sionis and saving Cain, she celebrated with the others at a Mexican restaurant before realizing that Quinn and Cain had stolen her car and made off with the diamond. Quinn returned the information stored within the diamond to Bertinelli, however, who then used her restored family's money to form the crime-fighting group known as the Birds of Prey.
Powers and Abilities
- Sonic Scream: Inheriting the meta-gene from her mother, Dinah can produce high-frequency shockwaves through her scream. Dinah's sonic scream is highly potent in combat situations against numerous attackers, as she is capable of dispatching opponents by hurtling them backward through the air with concussive force alone. However, using this power for a prolonged period will exhaust her to the point of fainting. The very nature of her ability is shattering glass, as seen when she performed on stage.
- 'Peak human condition: Dinah is in great physical condition, having enough strength to defeat men much larger than her.
- Master martial artist: Dinah is a talented mixed martial artist whose frequent execution of high and low kicks emphasizes her masterful skill in kickboxing, Muay Thai and Taekwondo. In combat, Canary typically stays grounded and agile while using powerful kicks for her offense entirely. She is, however, notably less skilled than her teammate Huntress.
- Stick expertise: Dinah can use stick-based weapons in combat, demonstrated when she used Harley's Good Night]baseball bat when fighting Black Mask's men.
- Expert markswoman: Dinah is skilled at using firearms, best seen during her fight with Black Mask's men.
- Singer: Due to her superhuman abilities to manipulate the sound with her throat, Dinah is an extremely formidable singer, formerly working as the Black Mask bar singer. She sang "It's A Man's Man's Man's World" at Black Mask's club.
- Anisha Gibbs and Bethany Levy were stunt doubles for Jurnee Smollett-Bell in the role of Black Canary.
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Janelle Monáe were considered for the role of Black Canary before Jurnee Smollett-Bell was cast.
- Black Canary in the DC Extended Universe is the fifth live-action incarnation of the character, following incarnations portrayed by Danuta Wesley, Rachel Skarsten, Alaina Huffman, and Katie Cassidy.
|Extended Universe Heroes|
The Suicide Squad