|“||I find that it's easier to keep your true self buried under several layers of untrue selves, to protect yourself.||„|
|~ Black Widow.|
|“||Even if there's a small chance, we owe this to everyone whose not in this room to try.||„|
|~ Black Widow to the group in Avengers: Endgame.|
|~ Black Widow before she sacrifices herself to let Hawkeye get the Soul Stone.|
Natalia Alianovna "Natasha" Romanoff (Russian: Наталья Альяновна "Наташа" Романова; November 22, 1984-October 16, 2023), also known as Black Widow, is a major character in the Infinity Saga of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, being one of the main protagonists of the Avengers tetralogy. She is also a major character of Iron Man 2, Captain America: Civil War, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. She is a minor character in Thor: Ragnarok and Captain Marvel, and a posthumous character in Spider-Man: Far from Home. She will appear as the titular main protagonist the upcoming Black Widow, set to take place after Captain America: Civil War.
Natasha was one of the best spies and assassins in the world. Originally an agent of the Soviet agency for foreign intelligence, the KGB; she later became a member of S.H.I.E.L.D., the international counter-intelligence agency with the help of Hawkeye. Having extensive mastery in the martial arts and armed with her Widow's Bite, Batons, and firearms, Black Widow was one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s most talented agents and Nick Fury's top spy. When Loki Laufeyson declared war on Earth, Black Widow joined the Avengers and helped to defend New York City.
After the Avengers defeated Loki, she continued her work with S.H.I.E.L.D., this time working with fellow agent Captain America. Following the HYDRA Uprising, which resulted in all of her morally dubious history being revealed to the world, she dropped off the grid to begin rebuilding her cover. She later rejoined the Avengers, working to bring down various HYDRA cells across the world and the rogue artificial intelligence Ultron. Unlike most members of the original Avengers, Black Widow remained a member of the second incarnation of the team after the Ultron Offensive.
As the governments of the world demanded the Avengers to sign the Sokovia Accords, she agreed to their terms. She later joined Iron Man in a fight against Captain America because of his disagreements with the Accords and his criminal activities with the Winter Soldier. As the two Avengers' factions fought against each other, she betrayed Iron Man's team in order to assist Captain America to find the instigator of the teammates' fight. As a result, Black Widow had to escape once again from the government for aiding her old friend.
Black Widow would return to aid Vision and Scarlet Witch from the Black Order, and rejoin the Avengers to attempt to stop Thanos. Despite failing to stop the decimation, Black Widow would return to the New Avengers Facility with the survivors to find a way to undo the finger snap. After gaining Nick Fury's pager, she and the team would meet his old friend, Carol Danvers.
After the Infinity War and Thanos's victory, Black Widow with her remaining allies confronted Thanos, only to discover that Thanos destroyed the Infinity Stones to prevent his work being undone. Five years later, Black Widow continues to work with the remaining Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, despite being emotionally broken due to the deaths of her allies. However, Scott Lang (who survived the snap by being trapped in the Quantum Realm) proposed the idea of using the Quantum Realm to travel back in time, Black Widow and her allies worked to collect the Infinity Stones and undo the snap. Black Widow and Hawkeye traveled to Vormir in the year of 2014 to get the Soul Stone, only to realize that a sacrifice had to be made in order to receive the stone. After a struggle, Black Widow sacrificed herself so Hawkeye can get the Soul Stone. In the end, Black Widow's sacrifice was not in vain as the Avengers managed to undo the finger snap, bringing back those died, and defeat Thanos once and for all.
Natasha was portrayed by Scarlett Johansson, who also portrayed Lucy in the titular film, Major Mira Killian/Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell, Rosie Betzler in Jojo Rabbit, and voiced Princess Mindy in The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie and Ash in Sing.
In Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Official Game, she was voiced by Laura Bailey, who also voiced Rayne in BloodRayne series, Sherry Birkin in Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, Serana in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard, Chun-Li in the Street Fighter series, Helena Harper in Resident Evil 6, Jaina Proudmoore in Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, Abigail "Fetch" Walker in the inFamous series, Nadine Ross in the Uncharted series, Fiona in Tales from the Borderlands, Kait Diaz in the Gears of War series, Supergirl in Injustice 2, Eltariel in Middle-earth: Shadow of War, and Mary Jane Watson in Marvel's Spider-Man.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Background
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Relationships (Columns)
- 6 Trivia
- 7 External Links
- 8 Navigation
|“||I'm always picking up after you boys.||„|
|~ Black Widow in Seoul.|
The entirety of Natasha's character is hard to distinguish based on how she lies and tricks people for a living. She is capable of convincingly portraying friendly and flirtatious, timid, vulnerable and scared. For the most part, she is a level-headed, strong-willed and independent woman. Natasha normally maintains a controlled, almost emotionless persona to keep whatever she is thinking a secret unless she is around people she absolutely trusts. Although she is more than willing to rush into deadly battle and other unnerving missions for S.H.I.E.L.D., she is not completely fearless, as she was visibly frightened of Hulk. However, she is no longer afraid of him due to falling in love with Bruce Banner.
Though a very serious agent, Natasha is by no means stuffy and has a sarcastic sense of humor, which mostly surfaces when she is with Captain America or Hawkeye, both of whom she is comfortable around. Natasha is very smart and loyal which is displayed when she made good on the debts seu owned Clint and Steve (saving Clint from Loki's mind control and trying to protect Steve during a highway assault). While tough and at times ruthless, she is still a good person and can be quite heroic in her own right. These qualities are usually brought out by her other Avengers, mainly during her missions with Steve. And no matter how injured she is in battle, Natasha will go out her way to make sure bystanders are out of harm's way (keeping several S.H.I.E.L.D. agents away when Bruce was transforming into Hulk, helping Clint evacuate civilians when the Chitauri attacked Manhattan, and risking her life to make sure innocent people weren't shot by Winter Soldier when he was chasing her). Her close loyalty to both Steve and Clint was shown in Captain America: Civil War, as she was willing to aid their faction despite being forced to go on the run from the United Nations afterwards. As a result of her childhood, she considered the Avengers her family, being desperate to keep them together when the Sokovia Accords were due to be signed, and was affected when Tony denounced her as a friend and made it clear he would not helped her in the future.
Natasha is also very close with Clint Barton's family, especially with his and Laura Barton's only daughter, Lila, being the only member of the Avengers who knew of their existence. Natasha is genuinely affectionate with the child, hugging her the moment they reunite and sweetly commended the little girl on the drawing she made. They originally named their youngest child after Natasha prior to discovering that it was in fact a boy, thus making him Nathaniel instead, with Natasha humorously referring to the unborn child as a "traitor".
Natasha was sterilized as a rite-of-passage for her graduation from the training she underwent in the Red Room. This event deeply affected her, as she regretfully told Bruce of the so-called advantages of the procedure.
Despite her lifestyle of espionage and operating within the shadows, Natasha's adaptability influenced her opinions on the Sokovia Accords. Realizing the difference between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers with many of their activities seen in the light of day amongst the public opinions by signing and also that she didn't want conflict with her close friends and teammates like Clint and Steve. This care for Captain America eventually caused Natasha to betray Tony's team and assist their escape so they could clear Bucky name, eventually becoming a fugitive because of this.
Black Widow has fair skin and has blue eyes and shoulder-length red hair.
In Iron Man 2 She wore a black stealth costume with black knee boots and holster and has a utility belt.
In Civil War (Beginning) She Wore Light Beige Leather Jacket and Fryer Tall lace Boots along with blue thigh jeans.
In Winter Soldier She Wears a Catsuit with a utility belt and black leggings with black pants with a holster and v-shaped tall knee black boots, In The Highway Fight She Wears a Dark Brown leather Jacket similar to one she wears in Civil War Opening Black Long Pants and Light shaded Brown boots.
In Infinity War, she now has straight blonde hair.
Natasha Romanoff is a Level 7 S.H.I.E.L.D. operative, working there since Hawkeye (Agent Clint Barton) was sent to kill her but decided to bring her in to work for them instead. She works undercover as a legal aid at Stark Industries in Iron Man 2, after being sent there to collect intel on Tony Stark. In the 2012 Marvel movie The Avengers, she works together with Bruce Banner (the Hulk), Captain America (Steve Rogers), Tony Stark (Iron Man), Thor, and Clint Barton (Hawkeye) to defeat Loki and his army.
- Peak Human Condition: Natasha is at the peak level of natural physical limits of a woman of her advanced training. This has been building up through years and years of constant & rigorous training & special diets. Despite her lack of physical strength in most cases, her speed and agility are her biggest advantages against most foes. She has the endurance to survive being shot in the abdomen by the Winter Soldier's special weaponry.
- Master Martial Artist: Natasha is an expert in the field of martial arts. She is proficient in karate, judo, aikido, savate, boxing and multiple styles of kung fu.
- Master Acrobat: She is an Olympic class athlete, gymnast, acrobat and aerialist capable of numerous complex maneuvers and feats.
- Master Marksman: Natasha is a very accurate marksman skilled in sharpshooting and knife throwing.
- Multilingual: She is fluent in Russian, English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, and various other languages.
- Gifted Intellect: According to Marvel, Natasha's intellect is at level 3, putting her on par with Steve Rogers. She possesses the ability to quickly process multiple information streams (e.g., threat assessment) and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations.
- Graceful Dancer: Natasha is a profound ballet dancer.
- Master Tactician: She is a very effective strategist, tactician, and field commander. She has lead the Avengers and even S.H.I.E.L.D. on one occasion.
- Talented Hacker: Natasha can hack into all computer systems without tripping any firewalls or security with ease.
- Master Seductress: She is an expert in the field of seduction. Natasha has been known to bend many different men to her will and sometimes even get them to do her bidding for her. She sometimes continues deceiving certain men through means of acting if she still has a further use for them.
- Master Spy: Natasha is a dangerous secret agent trained in espionage, stealth, disguise, infiltration, and demolitions. She displays an uncanny affinity for psychological manipulation and can mask her real emotions perfectly. Her talents and years of experience have enabled her to reach a high ranking as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Pregnancy: Though the red rooms brainwashing and vasectomy, its effects on her body have made pregnancy impossible.
- Mortality: As with any human being, she is easily subjected to physical harm & illness. Though her resistance to illness is stronger than normal humans due to her honed physical condition.
- Costume Specifications: Synthetic stretch fabric which has been augmented to be highly resistant to damage even small arms fire and high temperatures. Microscopic suction cups on her costume allow her to scale walls and cling to ceilings, just as her namesake. The costume also seems to enhance her physical performance.
- Advanced Tech Suit: Suits worn by the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ant-Man to travel into the Quantum Realm.
- Personal Weaponry: The Black Widow's Gauntlets are wrist cartridges containing various tools of the spy trade: tear-gas pellets, a radio transmitter, and spring-loaded cable.
- Special Weaponry: Various automatic weapons and firearms, combat knives and explosives as needed. She also uses a device often referred to as the Widow's Bite that is capable of emitting highly potent electric shocks with a maximum of about 30,000 volts.
- Source of Paraphernalia: Formerly Soviet Union, S.H.I.E.L.D., Avengers.
Clint Barton is one of Romanoff's closes friend, him being the one who decided that she would be a good agent for S.H.I.E.L.D. When talking about him in The Avengers, she states she owes everything to him, and wants to save him from Loki's brainwashing. In addition, she and Fury would be the only ones to know of his family, with the former being a honorary aunt for his children, and being friends with Laura Barton.
Despite the two going against each other during the Clash of the Avengers, Black Widow asked him amidst the fight were they still friends, and him replying it depends on how hard she hits. In Avengers: Endgame, she finds him changed after the decimation, becoming Ronin, and the two attempt to undo Thanos' fingersnap with the others.
- The role was originally offered to Emily Blunt, but she turned it down.
- Romanoff dying her hair blonde is a homage to Yelena Belova, the second Black Widow.
- She is the second superheroine in the MCU to have a solo film, the first was Captain Marvel.
- With Black Panther and Spider-Man, she is the third to get a titular film after their debut.