This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Stand down, girl.||„|
|~ Owen Grady trying to calm Blue.|
Blue is a major protagonist in the Jurassic Park franchise, appearing in the Jurassic World trilogy.
She serves as the deuteragonist of the 2015 sci-fi adventure blockbuster film Jurassic World and its 2018 sequel Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, a major character in its 2020 DreamWorks/Netflix TV series Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, and will reappear in its 2022 sequel Jurassic World: Dominion. She is a female Velociraptor who serves as the leader of her pack and is the oldest of the four raptors consisting of her, Delta, Echo, and Charlie.
- 1 History
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Other Appearances
- 6 Audio Samples
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
- 9 Navigation
Blue was created by InGen to live as an attraction of Masrani Global Corporation's dinosaur park Jurassic World, sometimes before 2015. Her distinctive blue pattern is known to be made from using the DNA of a Black-Throated African Monitor Lizard. When she was young, she and Echo fought for dominance over the park's Velociraptor pack with Blue being the victor.
At some point in her life, a human named Owen Grady trained her and the other members in her pack.
Just before the incident or at least any of the major events of the incident occurred, Blue attempted to strike a newly hired Jurassic World employee named Leon in her pack's paddock after he accidentally fell inside the paddock when he was feeding the raptors, but Owen intervened and prevented them from attacking.
Blue and her pack later assisted their trainer during the rampage of the genetic hybrid, the Indominus rex, when Vic Hoskins, Jurassic World's head of security, forced Owen to use them to hunt the Indominus. Unfortunately, during the hunt she and her pack mates began to communicate with the hybrid due to its Velociraptor DNA. After the Indominus took Owen's place as the alpha, Blue and her pack mates turned against the humans. Her pack attacked many of the humans that had followed them, including Barry, who took refuge in a hollow log just before Blue lunged at him and began to viciously attack him through the log. Conflicted about whether he should shoot her or not, Barry yelled her name, causing her to stop and look inside. At this point, Owen intervened and whistled to get Blue's attention, stopping her from possibly resuming her attack on Barry.
Blue and the rest of her pack later caught up with Owen, Claire, and the Mitchell brothers on Main Street. Shortly after being cornered, Owen regained Blue's and the other raptors' respect and his role as pack leader. Then the Indominus rex arrived, and ordered the raptors to attack the humans. Blue, however, retaliated and rebelled against the Indominus, and the furious hybrid responded by swatting Blue into the wall, seemingly killing her. Delta and Echo then attacked the Indominus out of vengeance. Unfortunately, they were soon overpowered by the hybrid. Shortly after their deaths, Rexy, Jurassic World's resident Tyrannosaurus rex, joined the fight.
Later, Blue regained consciousness and rejoined the fight, lunging at the hybrid and allowing Rexy to get back on her feet after she was pushed to the ground by the Indominus rex. Blue continued to assist Rexy in her fight against the hybrid. At one point, Blue rode on Rexy's back while she smashed the I. rex into one of Main Street's buildings. Eventually, the Mosasaurus dragged the Indominus into the bottom of the lagoon when the hybrid was tossed to the edge of the lagoon. After the fight, Rexy decides to spare Blue, as gratitude for saving her life, despite her unpleasant encounter with Velociraptors in the past. Blue then turned towards Owen, chirping at him momentarily before disappearing into the night.
Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous
Blue, alongside Echo, Delta, and Charlie, make their first appearance after Darius Bowman and Kenji Kon sneak inside the Raptor Paddock and mistake it for a Compsognathus pen. The Velociraptors attack the two and try to kill them due to their predatory instincts, but Roxie and Dave arrive, with Dave using the lights to ward the raptors away. Darius catches one more glimpse at Blue before leaving. The day after the death of the Indominus rex at the jaws of the Mosasaurus, Blue can be seen running in a meadow in Isla Nublar.
Blue is seen again exploring the tunnels beneath the island. Eventually, Blue goes to the watering hole where Mitch and Tiff plot to kill any dinosaurs they want there. Tiff attempts to shoot Blue to her death, but the two poachers are thwarted by the Camp Cretaceous campers, who create a stampede in the area with Blue amongst the dinosaurs running.
Blue is seen once again during the episode, "Clever Girl" when the campers arrive at the old Jurassic Park site. After chasing the main characters around and being pinned down by a fallen truck, the main characters save Blue from being consumed by Compies. The characters and Blue seem to have a bonding moment before the characters go off again.
Blue shows up again in the episode, "Escape From Isla Nublar" after the campers decide to leave after being chased by Scorpios rex. Blue seems to recognize Darius after seeing him with the tranq gun from earlier, and she watches carefully as the Scorpios rex's fight. After one of the Scorpios rex's fall, Blue has a moment with Darius before attacking the Scorpios rex. Despite being hurt majorly, she continues to battle with the larger hybrid predator. Before the building they are in collapses, Blue escapes.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
It is revealed that Blue is still alive, but she and many other creatures will now face an impending danger, in the form of an erupting volcano.
A leak revealed that Blue will be at the center of the plot of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, with Owen having to prevent her from being "used for violence".
Another leak showed Owen petting what looks like to be a baby Blue. It is later confirmed to be Blue in a promo for the first trailer where Owen narrates him training a playful and curious baby Blue, calling her "remarkable" and "showing interest" in a pack he had brought with him to see her. At the beginning of the movie, it shows Owen Grady watching a training video of him, and her pack as infants on a computer.
During the rescue mission, Blue was reunited with Owen by startling him when she screeches loudly at him from behind, perched on top of the damaged Jurassic Park Ford tour van that Alan Grant rescued Tim Murphy from, in a greeting. As she slowly approaches him, she begins to press her nose to his palm, remembering him, before jerking her head away with a sharp cry as Ken Wheatley and a team of mercenaries attempt to capture Blue via tranquilizing her. Owen warns them to back up, after they refused to wait for his signal to tranquilize her, until Blue attacks one of the nearby soldiers, which results in her getting shot in the hip. She gives a wail of pain before falling over onto her side.
Once Owen is tranquilized by Wheatley after she is shot, Zia Rodriguez rushes to her rescue, telling the mercenaries that she is the only one who can keep Blue alive. She and Blue are subsequently captured, and taken to the East Dock, where Wheatley and the other animal traffickers have captured the other dinosaurs to ship them back to the mainland for Eli Mills and Henry Wu.
Inside the back of a military van, Zia and Blue reunite with Owen, Claire, and Franklin to reveal that Blue is hemorrhaging, and will need a blood transfusion from a carnivore with two or three fingers to keep her alive. Owen and Claire end up bringing back blood from the Tyrannosaurus rex, which subsequently saves her life.
Around the same time, Maisie Lockwood watches a training video with Blue as an infant, showing compassion and empathy for Owen, while he pretends to show signs of weakness in front of her.
After the Indoraptor's escape, Henry Wu has Franklin, who is disguised as a geneticist to get equipment for him to take blood samples from Blue to create a new batch of Indoraptors, which would subsequently become her children. The plan, however, backfires, as Zia breaks the news to him that Blue's blood is transfused with the Tyrannosaurus's, and Franklin stabs him in the neck with a tranquilizer. Two ACU troops attempt to subdue them before Zia releases Blue, who mauls them both, before escaping from the laboratory as it erupts in flames from one of the soldiers' bullets hitting a tank of flammable, toxic, gas.
Blue, after making her way upstairs inside the Lockwood Manor, she attacks the Indoraptor in Maisie's bedroom when she sees him preparing to attack Owen. The two battle for a brief moment before they both fall out of a window, with Blue falling in another direction as the Indoraptor continues to pursue Owen and Maisie.
Blue then ambushes the Indoraptor from behind on the roof, pouncing on him. The added weight causes them to fall through the skylight, and land on a Triceratops skull, which impales, and kills, the Indoraptor. After giving a shriek of victory, Blue jumps off, and runs off.
After the dinosaurs from Nublar are released out into the open by Maisie, Blue is approached by Owen, who tells her that he can take her to a sanctuary she would be safe at. However, Blue ends up running off, pausing briefly to look back at Owen, making gentle noise towards him, before running off into the early morning.
At the ending of the film, Blue is seen overlooking a far-off, suburban, Californian neighborhood, as she calls out.
Jurassic World: Dominion
Blue is also confirmed to appear in the final installment of the Jurassic World trilogy.
Blue possesses important quality to become the leader of raptor pack of Jurassic World: high intelligence and cunning. However, she also has a tendency to be aggressive and usually attacks without thinking twice along with savagery displayed by her species in the franchise, as shown when angrily threatening Leon who fell into her paddock. Even Owen, her parental figure and trainer who imprinted her with affection and trust, was wary with the bad side of hers that he occasionally tensed up whenever she's around given to her species' notorious reputation. His concerns were not without reason, as Blue and the other raptors were perfectly willing to team up with the Indominus rex and kill the InGen soldiers, even trying to kill Owen, Clarie, Zach and Gray in the process, despite Blue and the raptors eventually switching back to Owen’s side.
In spite of her violent side, Blue's positive upbringing allowed her to develop undeniably human-like characteristics such as affection and loyalty, along with the ability to express emotion. While a strict leader towards her pack, she clearly has a soft spot of them that, when Charlie was killed by an InGen soldier and when Delta and Echo were killed by the Indominus rex, Blue avenged them by attacking her. Blue also displayed loyalty towards Owen as well, which even extended to his fellow human friends and allies (namely Zia, Franklin, Claire, and Maisie) as demonstrated in the events of Fallen Kingdom, and stood up against powerful adversaries to protect those she cared about, even if her chance of winning is obviously slim, such as the fight against the Indominus rex and Indoraptor respectively.
Blue also implied to develop a lonely side as a result of her pack's demise, as she was visibly happy upon reuniting with Owen. However, when Owen was revealed to be accompanied by a group of mercenaries, Blue, due to her experience with InGen soldiers, became suspicious towards them that she immediately stands for his trainer's defense, which was later proven justified as they intended to leave Owen and his friends behind to die under Eli Mills's orders.
Measuring approximately 3.9 meters long (13 feet) and 1.7 meters tall (5.6 feet), Blue has bluish-gray skin with a white stripe with metallic blue in the middle going horizontally from her eye orbit, with one side has blue around the eye, while the other side’s stripe stop so at the head, down to the tip of her tail which suggests that it comes from the DNA of a Black-Throated African Monitor Lizard used in her creation. As an infant, Blue has a lighter color of metallic blue in the center of her stripe, with a few dark gray spots on her bottom lip, and is more of a warm gray color. She also wore a blue bracelet.
Powers and Abilities
- Velociraptor Physiology: Blue possesses incredible feats of strength, speed, agility, durability, endurance, senses and intelligence, even for a Velociraptor.
- Enhanced Strength: Blue possesses incredible feats of strength as she can kill a human within seconds. She even managed to go head-on against the Indoraptor, eventually overpowering and killing it at the climax of their confrontation; despite the hybrid dinosaur being much larger than her. About two years earlier, she was able to fight off the even bigger and more aggressive Scorpios rex.
- Enhanced Speed: Blue possesses incredible feats of speed as she managed to get to the Indominus rex's location within seconds. In Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Blue even managed to quickly catch up to the Indoraptor who was on the roof of the Lockwood Manor (when she was briefly knocked unconscious during the confrontation) despite the fact that the hybrid dinosaur had a head start.
- Enhanced Agility: Blue possesses incredible feats of agility. During her confrontation with the Indoraptor, she outmaneuvered every single one of the hybrid dinosaur's fatal blows and even managed to get on his back, as the latter had difficulty getting her off him.
- Enhanced Durability: Blue possesses incredible feats of durability as she was able to survive slashes and bites from the Indominus rex and the Indoraptor during her confrontation with the hybrid dinosaurs. Blue is also capable of taking heavy hits with relatively little injury, such as when she is thrown against solid surfaces in her fight against the Scorpios rex.
- Enhanced Senses: Blue possesses incredible feats of senses, such as sight and smell. According to Claire Dearing, she can pick up the scent of any human or dinosaur a mile away, which will make it difficult for anyone to catch her by surprise.
- Enhanced Stamina: Blue possesses incredible feats of stamina as she can exert herself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all, never needing to slow down when hunting her prey, surviving on Isla Nublar for 3 years prior to being captured and fighting the Indominus rex and the Indoraptor easily. Even during her battle with the Scorpios rex, Blue does not even seem to have any obvious signs of fatigue.
- Predatory Instincts: Blue possesses extraordinary predatory instincts for hunting all things such as other dinosaurs or animals. She can track anything under any conditions, sense the weaknesses of her prey and exploit them before finally succeeding in killing them.
- Master Hunter: Blue is a master of hunting, using her senses of smell to find and hunt down her prey. She is skilled in tracking and determining what sort of prey she is following and how it's best to take it down by using her toe claws and sharp teeth.
- Stealth: Blue possesses incredible feats of stealth as she is able to simply to blend in tall grass or dark areas so that she can't be seen and will wait until prey is close enough to her.
- Expert Combatant: Blue is great at combat against the dinosaurs of Isla Nublar that tried to attack her, shown when she was able to go head-on against the Indominus rex with assistance from Rexy (the Tyrannosaurus rex of the old park), eventually forcing the hybrid dinosaur near the Jurassic World Lagoon, leading to her death at the jaws of the Mosasaurus. In Jurassic World Camp Cretaceous, Blue fights the very first hybrid dinosaur, the Scorpios rex, and despite her opponent's physical advantage, she was able to put it in difficulty with quick attacks. In Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Blue was able to go head-on against the Indoraptor, despite the hybrid dinosaur being much larger and stronger than her, eventually overpowering and killing the latter.
- High-level Intellect/Leader: Blue was the most intelligent of the other raptors. She has even manage to defeat opponents (such as the Indominus rex, the Scorpios rex and the Indoraptor respectively) who were much larger than her; not by brute strength, but by intellectual means. As the leader of the pack, Blue was a very capable leader.
- Expert Tracker: Due to Blue's sense of smell, she can track any human or dinosaur to their current location, regardless of the distance.
- Toe Claws: Like all Velociraptors, Blue has sickle-shaped toe claws on her feet which she can use for slashing and cutting, notably in combat against opponents.
LEGO Jurassic World
In the LEGO video game adaptation, Blue's role in the story remain the same, but there's a notable difference because she was made more comedic in this game. When Blue and her pack were angered for having Leon accidentally fell into their paddock, Owen distracts them with contraptions full of hanging food. Like in the film, this only works temporarily due to their temper, but Owen and nearby humans escaped. Also, when she and her pack temporarily turned against Owen and the ACU soldiers and chased them, they did so not out of fear or intimidation from the Indominus rex, like in the film, but rather out of being horrified and angered upon learning that the Indominus was not treated in the same way they were (namely being isolated and having no contact with other dinosaurs like her). Thanks to Owen and Barry's teamwork in incapacitating the Indominus, Blue, Charlie, Echo, and Delta, as well as the Indominus herself, escaped in confusion. Blue and her pack later chase Claire and the boys in their car, but ended up knocked by the boys, Owen, and Barry, forcing them to retreat and seek for the Indominus's help.
Upon entering the park, Blue had Echo chases Owen and the others where Echo, after hearing Hoskins' true purpose, punished the latter by rearranging him into a merman-like mutant with pincers as hands. She and other members of her pack resume the chase and managed to surrounds Claire, Owen, and the boys. Here however, Owen managed to calm Blue where she realized her errors and turned against the Indominus just as the Indominus herself appeared much like in the film. Depend on the player's actions, Blue can either directly help her pack or focus on aiding her human friends as well as Rexy, who joins the fight before Charlie and Echo get thrown offscreen. After the Indominus's defeat, the rest of Blue's pack, who previously got separated/knocked out by the hybrid, recovers and reunites with her and Rexy. They later exit the scene alongside Rexy, who became a new member of their pack.
- When Owen reunites with Blue, he discovers that she has built a nest on a familiar Jurassic site, under the giant tree where Dr. Grant and the children narrowly dodged their wrecked Ford Explorer after their first close encounter with Rexy.
- Owen refers to Blue as his clever girl in the training video. He states "Who's my clever girl? Yes, yes, it's you!" is slightly similar in dialogue to Jurassic Park when Robert Muldoon is about to get killed by the Big One, he surprisingly remarks "clever girl."
- Blue's stripes are due to her particular DNA template incorporating a strain of blue tree monitor as gap-filler. But monitor lizards are, themselves, considered some of the smartest reptiles on the planet, and have been known to become surprisingly friendly in captivity.
- Blue is the only dinosaur to have at least one showdown with every hybrid dinosaur.
More to be added
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures
F is for Family
Go, Dog, Go!
Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts
Orange is the New Black
The Umbrella Academy