|“||Behold, the mighty grizzly!||„|
|~ Boog's catchphrase|
|“||This is my town. These are my people. This is where I reside. (chuckles) Nobody's huntin' this bear.||„|
Boog is the overall main protagonist of the Open Season franchise. He is the main protagonist of Open Season, one of the two titular main protagonists (alongside Elliot) of Boog and Elliot’s Midnight Bun Run, the deuteragonist of Open Season 2, the main protagonist of Open Season 3, and one of the three main protagonists (alongside Elliot and Mr. Weenie) of Open Season: Scared Silly. He is Elliot's best friend and Ranger Beth's former pet.
In the first film, he is voiced by Martin Lawrence. In the second film, he is voiced by Mike Epps. In the third film, he is voiced by Matthew J. Munn, who also voices Doug. In the fourth film, he is voiced by Donny Lucas.
In the first installment of the Open Season series, Boog lives in an ordinary life in the town of Timberline with his owner Ranger Beth, who is a park ranger and has raised Boog ever since he was little. When he encounters Elliot, he develops a dislike of him, but at the film's ending, they become best friends. Boog accidentally scares off his fans after chasing Elliot and is taken alongside the deer to the top of the falls, to protect Boog from hunters and the villainous hunter Shaw. Boog shows an immediate dislike to the woods, and almost leaves after realizing Elliot lied about knowing the way back to Timberline, but decides to return and help the animals defeat the hunters and Shaw. When Beth returns in a helicopter to pick up Boog, she sees he has made new friends and decides to keep him in the forest.
Open Season 2
Open Season 3
Open Season: Scared Silly
Boog is a huge brown grizzly bear with a light brown face and belly.
Boog is a happy-go-lucky, 900-pound grizzly bear. However, he can get a bit irratated right away. In the first film, Elliot served as a foil for him, although at the end, they have became partners in time.
- "Boog is sorry!"
- "I ain't nobody's pet!"
- "Uh-oh! Back up quick, before she sees me!"
- "All right, he's gone. Now get out!
- "Where's home?! It's gone! Someone stole it!"
- "The woods is NO place for a bear!"
- "I look like a bear, I talk like like a bear, but I can't fish, I can't climb a tree, I can't even go in the woods!"
- "Oh, you're right, Elliot. It's your fault!"
- "If it weren't for you, I'd be home right now! None of this would have ever happened! You said you knew the way back, but you lied!"
- "Take a good look, Elliot. What do you see, Elliot? Something's missing, Elliot. W-W-What is it, Elliot? What is it?"
- "TIMBERLINE IS MISSING!"
- "My garage is missing, breakfast, lunch, and dinner are missing! My life is missing! And it's all... your... FAULT!"
- "Let's kick some hunter ba-hookey!"
- "The Woo-Hoo bar. She's my lady. Smooth and creamy. So bad I shouldn't. Yet I will."
- "That's right, fool! YOU better run! Keep on prancing, ya penny-wasting cow!"
- "Hello, idiot."
- "What are you lookin' at? I told you not to wait up!"
- "When I'm a bear rug, they can walk all over me. Until then, I ain't goin' down without a fight!"
- "Big money got to come. Come on."
- Boog is similar to Vincent from Over the Hedge in appearance, but Boog is good rather than evil.
- A running gag throughout the series is that people think that Boog weighs 1,200 pounds.
- Boog's voice sounds similar to Tone Lōc.
- Boog made an appearance along with Elliot in the Surf's Up video game as a playable character.
- Will Smith, Delroy Lindo, Jamie Foxx, Blair Underwood, Mike Epps, and Duane Martin were considered for the role of Boog before Martin Lawrence was cast.