|“||The thing is, you don't have to. I'm with you 'til the end of the line, pal.||„|
|~ Bucky to Steve after Sarah Rodgers' funeral.|
|“||Iron Man: Do you even remember them?
Winter Soldier: I remember all of them.
|~ Iron Man and Bucky amidst their fight in Civil War.|
|“||The world is upside down. People need something to get behind. They need the symbol.||„|
|~ Bucky Barnes to Sam Wilson.|
Sergeant James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes (born March 10, 1917 in Shelbyville, Indiana, USA), also known as the Winter Soldier, is a superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He is the tritagonist of Captain America: The First Avenger, the titular secondary antagonist-turned-anti-hero of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, one of the two deuteragonists (alongside Iron Man) of Captain America: Civil War, a major character of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, a cameo character in Ant-Man and Black Panther, and one of the titular protagonists of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Versions of him also appear in What If...?, serving as a supporting character of "What If... Captain Carter Were the First Avenger?" and major character of "What If... Zombies!?".
He is Steve Rogers' best friend who participated in the Second World War, where he fought against the Nazi Party and HYDRA. After falling to his near death, Bucky was brainwashed by HYDRA and turned into the "Winter Soldier", where he was tasked with eliminating enemies of the organization. Bucky served HYDRA for decades until 2014, where his memories started to return when he confronted Rogers during his attempt to assassinate Nick Fury. Breaking free from his brainwashing, Bucky went on the run until he was assisted by Rogers and Sam Wilson from escaping the government after he was brainwashed by Helmut Zemo. Bucky would then assist Rogers and Wilson in fighting against Iron Man's faction, and confronting Zemo for his crimes.
After battling Iron Man and losing his arm, Bucky decided to stay in Wakanda in order for Shuri to remove the brainwashing from his mind, which was successful. He returned to help the Avengers fight against Thanos to stop his plans, but failed and Bucky was one of many erased from existence by the snap. In 2023, Bucky was resurrected along with everyone else after the Hulk used the stones after the time heist. Barnes participated in fighting against Thanos and his army from 2014, and witnessed the Mad Titan's defeat by the hands of Iron Man. Bucky attended Tony Stark's funeral to honor his sacrifice, and was present when an elderly Steve gave Wilson his mantle and shield. Bucky supported Steve's decision, and worked on atoning for his past crimes and helping Wilson fight against the Flag Smashers.
Bucky is portrayed by Sebastian Stan, who voices different versions of the character in the Disney+ animated series, What If...?
In Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The Official Game, he was voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who also voiced Chris Redfield in the Resident Evil series, Captain America in the same game, Sonic the Hedgehog in numerous media, Ezio Auditore da Firenze in the Assassin's Creed series, Siegfried Schtauffen in the Soulcalibur series, Batman in Batman: Arkham Origins, Captain America in the Marvel Animated Universe, and Kyle Crane in Dying Light.
|“||Captain America: What you did all these years... it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice.
Winter Soldier: I know. But I did it.
|~ Captain America and Winter Soldier.|
Bucky was extremely kind, loving, devoted, loyal, headstrong, patriotic and had a strong moral center. He showed to be very compassionate, caring and selfless and would always put the needs of others before himself. He was a very good, supportive friend to Steve Rogers during their youth. He helped him whenever he got into fights and tried to cheer him up and look after him when Rogers' mother died. Best friends since childhood, they went through many trials and tribulations together.
He was also highly protective of Rogers and had a strong big brother instinct towards him, as when he planned to enlist in the United States Army. Barnes tried to talk him out of it, as he knew he would die because of his bad physical condition and poor health. Out of the two friends, Barnes would be considered the more attractive, charming, sociable and flirtatious. However, when Rogers transformed into Captain America, Barnes was a bit jealous of the attention now bestowed to his once sickly friend.
After his apparent death from falling off a train, Bucky returned as the Winter Soldier, an elusive, lethal, dangerous and amnesiac assassin. He was ruthless, brutal, emotionless, and under the complete control of HYDRA. He also could fall into traumatic rages when pressured.
After Captain America reminded him of his past, however, Barnes was able to break from his programming and saved his former friend and current target from drowning. Despite not remembering fully, Barnes had already regained some of his old morals and abandoned HYDRA, not killing the foes that tried to stop him from escaping and showing resentment at HYDRA for brainwashing him. After his memories are fully restored, Barnes fully regained his old morals and selflessness: Fearing for his mental state and anyone around him, Barnes ultimately decided that placing himself in cryogenic stasis until he can be cured of HYDRA's mental programming completely would be the best course of action.
Being freed of his brainwashing and his time in Wakanda caring for children as the White Wolf allowed Barnes to come to terms with the abilities and training he had acquired as the Winter Soldier and see them as a boon that would allow him to fight for the greater good of the world. As such, Barnes didn't hesitate to don his Vibranium Arm to help Rogers fight Thanos. After the defeat of Thanos, Barnes admitted while he wanted to live in peace, he knew that his capabilities as the Winter Soldier would be needed and selflessly willed himself to continue defending the world.
Due to his experience as the Winter Soldier, even with his memories and old self returned, Barnes's personality was deeply changed: Decades of being a ruthless, emotionless and brutal assassin had considerably hardened him, his old jovial and light-heartedness mostly replaced with that of a mostly serious and cool attitude around his allies that would consistently show itself in the heat of battle and whenever at odds with those that should be his allies. Nevertheless, he still can show his softer side around his allies. Privately and when trying to be a good friend to the ones he murdered, he can show his old gentleman self, being rather old-fashioned on his first date with Leah, presenting her with a bouquet of flowers, and showing genuine respect towards the elderly Yori Nakajima. He also still listens the 40s era music.
Barnes's crimes left him with a guilt-ridden conscience, and became deeply ashamed and remorseful over his actions as the Winter Soldier. He previously stated that he has an absolute memory of every person he has killed, and knows and freely acknowledges with a tone of great regret that the fact he was brainwashed does not change the fact that he killed them. Barnes also saw his life as being less worth than that of others, as shown by how he asked Rogers if it was worth it for him to escape while his friends were left to be imprisoned. Upon watching his murder of Howard and Maria Stark, he was clearly visibly stunned and ashamed of what he had done. Barnes guilt and remorse made him willing to spare Iron Man, seeking only to incapacitate him, which lead to Iron Man nearly killing him but he still showed compassion in that he allowed Steve to leave behind the shield despite seeing Tony's clear lack of worthiness to have it. Although Barnes has more or less came to terms with his past, he still suffers from severe guilt and remorse due to the extent and nature of the crimes HYDRA forced him to commit.
Barnes holds a deep personal connection to Captain America's Shield, stating that it's the closest thing that he has left to a family. He is deeply hurt after finding out that Wilson has given the shield to the Smithsonian Institution, and that Walker has subsequently taken the mantle of Captain America. The legacy of the shield is what ultimately causes Barnes and Wilson to cross paths once again. Barnes initially confronts Wilson on several occasions, directly criticizing him for surrendering the shield, believing that he has disrespected and discarded Captain America's legacy like it was nothing.
Barnes later confesses that the reason why he has initially pressured and blamed Wilson for giving up the shield was because it made him question Rogers' decisions, as well as his own. At the same time, however, Barnes was actually quite accurate in his opinion of John Walker being unworthy of the mantle of Captain America: Having known what it feels like to have feelings of self-loathing and mental unbalance, he easily recognized that John Walker was dangerously unstable, long before the Super Soldier Serum and Lemar Hoskins' death caused Walker to become unhinged, purely because he saw aspects of himself in Walker.
Regardless of their many differences, Barnes has developed a close bond with Wilson during their struggle against the Flag Smashers, with Barnes later voluntarily helping him fix the Paul & Darlene family boat, and with Wilson subsequently inviting Barnes to sleep over at the Wilson Family Residence. After helping him practice throwing the shield, Barnes sincerely apologizes to Wilson, stating that he now realizes the pressure that Wilson was under after Rogers initially gave him the shield. Barnes also confesses about his nightmares, showing his newly developed trust in Wilson.
Powers and Abilities
- Artificially Enhanced Physiology: Before Barnes had received the Super Soldier Serum, he was already deemed to be an excellent athlete by the Smithsonian Institution. After being one of the recipients of HYDRA's Super Soldier Serum, though no apparent effects at the time of his rescue by Steve Rogers, the changes the serum caused in Barnes' body were sufficient to let him survive a plunge into an icy river at the bottom of a fall that should have killed him. Zola would then refine the Serum inside Bucky, making him a fully-fledged Super Soldier with early levels of superhuman conditioning that afforded him abilities equal to that of Captain America. He was also equipped with a titanium arm capable of deflecting bullets and was later given a new vibranium arm after losing his original one.
- Enhanced Strength: As the Winter Soldier, Barnes' physical strength is enhanced to the early levels of a superhuman condition as a result of the Super Soldier Serum, equal to Captain America in physical might, and his cybernetic arm gives him an even higher level of superhuman strength that surpasses Rogers. With just his right arm and leg, he could easily strike with exceptional physical force that can easily incapacitate and launch others off their feet. With his cybernetic arm, Winter Soldier was able to rip open a S.H.I.E.L.D armored SUV, rip apart Falcon's EXO-7 suit, and smash concrete by punching it. With his bionic arm supporting his already enhanced natural strength, the Winter Soldier was shown to be able to overpower Captain America in a physical struggle. He was also able to match Black Panther in his suit in terms of strength, holding his attempts to kill him at bay. Barnes was later on able to use his superhuman strength to easily take out the Flag Smashers combined with his skill despite their own superhuman prowess, displaying the ability to stun and knock them down with his blows, knocking one out with a second kick, even man-handling and tossing one to the ground. Later on, his enhancements and cybernetic arm afforded him the strength to effectively fight with John Walker, who was not only a Super-Soldier but also already physically fit and athletic, able to hurt and make him bleed with his blows and also hold Walker when he tried to use the shield to hit him in the chest to a stalemate, helping Wilson disarm him by firmly restraining him for Wilson to successfully rip away the shield before easily stunning him with a punch to the face and man-handling him for Sam to deal the finishing blow to.
- Enhanced Durability: Winter Soldier's bones and muscles are far denser and more resilient than a normal human's. He even managed to survive a fatal fall from immense heights into the Daube River in the Swiss Alps. Arnim Zola's further experiments greatly fortified his physique to the extent that he routinely leaps from significant heights onto hard surfaces and lands without any apparent injury. Bucky was able to leap off a bridge onto the top of a car below, crushing the roof and shattering the windows while he was unfazed by the landing. He was also able to withstand blows from various opponents that would have seriously injured or killed an average person. Winter Soldier withstood getting brutally hit by Iron Man and his energy blast. In Munich, he survived a fall from about 200 feet, and withstood crashing through a forest during it.
- Enhanced Speed: Winter Soldier's speed is tremendously enhanced beyond the peak of human potential, moving into the early levels of superhuman condition. Barnes' speed is equal to both Black Panther and Captain America, as he was able to stay ahead of them with a slight head start and effectively keep up with them in a straight fight, countering and delivering blows on a well-matched fight. Barnes was also displayed repeatedly to be able to easily handle the Flag Smashers in combat, matching and surpassing their speed to deliver several powerful blows that quickly defeated them and outrunning them to stop them from attacking Falcon and Walker, and was able to keep up with the enhanced John Walker competitively, successfully getting close to and landing on Walker to deliver strong hits, giving him trouble dodging his attacks, and intercepting him from killing Sam, ultimately managing to move faster than a weakened Walker to punch and then man-handle him for Falcon to defeat. During the event Chase of the Flag Smashers, he quickly caught up to a speeding truck.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Winter Soldier's reflexes are enhanced to extraordinary levels. His reflexes are responsive enough to catch Captain America's shield being thrown at him at a high velocity. He was also able to catch enemy grenades thrown at him, dodge fire from Falcon's Steyr SPPs, and leap on top of a moving car accelerating towards him with pinpoint accuracy.
- Enhanced Agility: Winter Soldier's enhanced agility is superior to even Olympic gold medalists. He could quickly leap on top of midsize cars in a single bound while running and do complicated acrobatic flips in order to avoid gunfire and to quickly dive into cover.
- Enhanced Stamina: Winter Soldier's musculature produces far fewer fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human, allowing him to exert himself at peak capacity for hours before tiring. Hence, he could endure the Clash of the Avengers and the later showdown at the HYDRA Research Base without showing signs of fatigue.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Winter Soldier's body is able to heal with extraordinary speed and efficiency, at a rate well beyond that of a regular human being, though he is unable to regenerate missing limbs. This may be one of the factors of his survival from the Swiss Alps. His healing allowed him to quickly recover from injuries received in battle; the injuries he had received during combat with Iron Man healed in a matter of days without bruising or scarring and in the span of a single day he was able to fully recover from the wounds he suffered from Walker, which surprisingly not even Walker himself had fully healed after much later.
- Longevity: As a result of the Super Soldier Serum, Barnes ages much slower than the normal human and his lifespan was even further artificially extended by being frozen in a Cryostasis Chamber, allowing HYDRA to weaponize him for many generations by keeping him frozen between his missions. While over 100 years old, he retains the appearance of an adult man at his prime.
- Master Martial Artist: From the beginning, Barnes was already a formidable fighter, as he was a three-time YMCA welterweight boxing champion and could easily defeat bullies. As the first Winter Soldier, Barnes received vast training from HYDRA, as well as the United States Armed Forces, which only dramatically improved his fighting abilities and combined with his enhanced physical abilities, Barnes has become an exceptionally lethal and formidable master martial artist and hand-to-hand combatant, excelling in improvisation and weapon handling, employing a mixed martial arts that included elements of systema, karate, boxing, muay Thai, Krav Maga, and kali, his prowess able to easily slaughter dozens of enemies alone, such as trained soldiers and multiple armed Quinjet pilots, easily best highly skilled combatants such as Black Widow and Falcon with relative ease, instantly subduing Falcon in their second encounter and besting Natasha, Sharon, and Tony Stark without much effort, be in charge of training the other Winter Soldiers, easily beating and locking them away when they went berserk, and being a fearsomely formidable opponent to with the likes of Black Panther and even Captain America himself. The two engaged in a brutal one-on-one fight, both matching each other with every move, though Rogers was ultimately able to defeat him in their second duel, he later beat Rogers after being released by Helmut Zemo, catching him off guard. Barnes also fought off Black Panther in his Panther Habit while caught off-guard by his capabilities and in the second fight while still holding back to not kill, he was able to competitively push him back and restrain him, only losing due to his unwillingness to kill him that allowed T'Challa to win. Barnes also held off Iron Man's attempts to kill him in Mark XLVII Armor while not trying to kill him, almost defeated him alongside Rogers, and later on single-handedly managed to beat him to submission. With Steve old and no longer a fighter, Barnes is seemingly the world's most skilled human fighter now and was able to display noticeably superior prowess over the also super-soldiers Flag Smashers and even the U.S. veteran John Walker who was chosen to be the next Captain America: He managed to resist them while caught off-guard over their physical prowess at first and defeat two before being knocked down the truck in the Chase of the Flag Smashers. With knowledge of their physical prowess allowing him to fight freely, Barnes easily defeated two Flag Smashers in the Ambush at Latvian GRC Resettlement Camp, even handling a knife using Flag Smasher without using the knife he was given until the end. While holding back to not kill Walker while Walker was trying to kill him, he proved able to effectively contend with Walker using his shield whereas Falcon was outmatched even with his technology, disarming him of his pistol, briefly taking the initiative and countering his attacks with the shield and ultimately landing several blows on John and holding his attempts to hit him in the chest with the shield at bay and helping Falcon disarm him, proceeding to easily overpower and man-handle John for Falcon to deal the finishing blow to once he was disarmed of his shield. During the Flag Smashers final assault on the GRC, he completely dominated a Flag Smasher to where Karli saw the need to cause a distraction, with Barnes still kicking him down even after being hit, and managed to easily outfight Karli Morgenthau to where he simply dodged her attacks and punched her down and Dovich even when they were armed without much effort, whereas Walker had visibly greater trouble fighting Karli and the Flag Smashers in the battle. He also easily fended off Ayo's spear assaults while not trying to harm her and she was only able to end the fight due to using her knowledge of how to disarm his Vibranium arm, which he had absolutely no knowledge of. Bucky also trained Wilson in combat to prepare him to finally become the next Captain America, improving his skill to where he defeated Georges Batroc after losing to him before.
- Master Marksman: Barnes is highly proficient in handling firearms with remarkable precision, even prior to being turned into the Winter Soldier. During World War II, his marksmanship was regarded as being invaluable and an effective supporter to the Howling Commandos in taking down the HYDRA bases and he shot a HYDRA operative that even Captain America did not see until he was down. As the Winter Soldier, his marksmanship abilities only increased greatly. He accurately fired a single round through Black Widow's stomach and into a nuclear scientist that she was protecting, killing him. Winter Soldier is also capable of making long-range shots without the use of a rifle, for example, shooting Nick Fury multiple times through the wall of Steve Rogers' apartment and from the top of another building. He also proved highly skilled with normal guns as well, being able to accurately fire at Rogers while also engaging him in close combat, even managing to get shots in and push him to the defensive, being able to shoot Rogers before he could react when he wasn't paying attention. He was also able to use his gun to swiftly take out many Outriders during the Battle of Wakanda. Barnes later on easily shot multiple mercenaries hired by the Power Broker with a normal gun.
- Master Knife Fighter: Winter Soldier is highly proficient in knife fighting with particular emphasis and expertise in Kali knife fighting. The Winter Soldier usually resorts to his combat knife in close quarters combat, holding the knife in his natural hand with his bionic arm for support should he need more force to overpower an opponent, using a downward stab or tossing it between hands to advance his assault, making use of swift and skillful jabs, stabs, and slashes at the enemy's vital points. He easily killed enemies with a single knife move during his assault on Hotel Inessa, also displaying excellent accuracy in knife throwing by easily hitting his targets with throwed knives. Barnes was able to use a knife effectively against Rogers, nearly scoring hits on him during their first fight and impaling him in the second fight, kill an Outrider with a bayonet knife, quickly delivering several lethal stabs and slashes to it's neck and vital points, and easily overwhelm and get a Flag Smasher using a knife too on knife point.
- Sharp Intellect: Bucky Barnes is considerably intelligent ever since youth, being a model student back in high school. After enlisting into the military, he received training in military tactics and leadership and proved to be an accomplished strategist and leader, earning the title of Sergeant and able to command an entire unit during the World War I and serve as Rogers second in command among the Howling Commandos. As the Winter Soldier, his strategical aptitude was only enhanced even further with training to be HYDRA's most covert operative, having been able to successfully come up with flawless plans that allowed him to both execute his victims while leaving no traces behind, using quick thinking and resourcefulness to execute his assignments. After abandoning HYDRA, Barnes was able to effectively stay off the grid for two years, eluding the best efforts of Captain America and Falcon to find him, with an already formulated escape plan with a burn bag ready should he be found. Barnes quickly formulated the plan that broke Zemo out of the Berlin Correctional Facility and noted that the most vulnerable portion of any security system was the staff members. He also displayed good acting skills, able to successfully pretend he was the Winter Soldier while in Madripoor.
- Master Assassin: Winter Soldier is a master assassin. Ever since he's been brainwashed, Winter Soldier has lived in anonymity with most of the intelligence community not even believing he exists. He's been credited with over two dozen of HYDRA's most crucial assassinations in the last 50 years. He was even able to shoot Nick Fury and shoot through Black Widow to take out his target.
- Master Acrobat: Due to his extraordinarily enhanced agility and reflexes, Winter Soldier has shown immense capability in using flips to evade fire such as when he flipped to cover when he was being shot at by Falcon's Steyr SPPs. He could also maintain the balance of a moving motorcycle he was utilizing while engaged in a fight with Black Panther.
- Master Driver: Due to his US Armed Forces and HYDRA training, Winter Soldier was a highly skilled driver, capable of riding a motorcycle and effectively maneuvering through terrains at high speeds, even able to keep control over his motorcycle while holding back Black Panther. He was also a skilled pilot, able to hijack a Quinjet after killing the pilot and effortlessly fly a helicopter to Berlin.
- Multilingualism: Barnes is able to speak English, Russian, Japanese and Xhosa fluently.
- Brainwashing Code (formerly): Bucky's brainwashing came with a fail-safe in form of trigger words would render him under the speaker's control for a limited amount of time. Fortunately, this has since no longer issue thanks to Wakandan technology and therapy to terminate it for good.
- Bionic Arm: Bucky's overall combat ability can be hampered somewhat without his bionic arm, more so in the case of his Wakandan one that can be detached from his shoulder via. a fail-safe his healers added in case of him committed something detrimental to the country's cause.
World War II Weapons
- Colt M1911A1: Barnes was issued an M1911A1 as his sidearm during World War II. He carried it after joining Captain America and the Howling Commandos in a series of attacks across Europe. Barnes resorted to using it in a mission to capture of Arnim Zola when he ran out of ammunition in his primary weapon.
- M1928A1 Thompson: Barnes carried an M1928A1 as his weapon of choice during World War II, using it during the attacks led by Captain America against HYDRA across Europe. He also carried it during his final mission to capture Arnim Zola, running out of ammunition when he was ambushed inside the train.
- M1941 Johnson Rifle: Barnes was the sniper of the squad led by Captain America during World War II, the Howling Commandos. When he acted as such during missions against HYDRA. He used it once to save Captain America himself from a soldier who almost shot him while examining a destroyed HYDRA base.
- M1903A1 Springfield Barnes used this sniper rifle during the Battle of Azzano, in an attempt to battle German forces in Italy. Despite his efforts, he was captured along the rest of his unit by HYDRA, and taken to one of its facilities as forced labor.
Winter Soldier's Arsenal
- Gerber Mark II Combat knife: The Winter Soldier's weapon of choice in close quarters combat. He has two of them holstered with the hilts both facing opposite sides (one at the back of his utility belt and the other in the lower back of his uniform). He used it against Captain America while confronting him on the streets of Washington, D.C. and inside one of Project Insight Helicarriers.
- SIG-Sauer P220ST: The Winter Soldier's weapon of choice, a semi-automatic pistol heavily used by armed forces and police of many countries. He used it against Captain America while confronting him on the streets of Washington, D.C. and inside one of Project Insight Helicarriers.
- Glock 19: The Winter Soldier dual-wielded the Glock 19 along with an SIG-Sauer P226R, using them against Captain America during their final confrontation inside one of the Project Insight Helicarriers.
- SIG-Sauer P226R The Winter Soldier dual-wielded the SIG-Sauer P226R along with a Glock 19, using them against Captain America during their final confrontation inside one of the Project Insight Helicarriers.
- COP .357 Derringer: A very small gun that the Winter Soldier carried in the right thigh custom holster. He tried to use it against Steve Rogers in the streets of Washington, D.C. while he was distracted, but he could not fire as Natasha Romanoff shot a grenade against him.
- Intratec TEC-38: A very small gun that the Winter Soldier carried in the right thigh custom holster.
- Vz.61 Skorpion: A sub-machine gun carried on the back of his vest. Steve Rogers forced him to use it as he had to drop his assault rifle, but Rogers quickly disarmed him. He later used it to kill a Quinjet pilot at the Triskelion, stealing the jet to board a Helicarrier.
- Colt M4A1 with an M203 Grenade Launcher: A fully automatic carbine and the standard weapon used by S.H.I.E.L.D. Strike Team members, outfitted with a grenade launcher. The Winter Soldier was handed one of them by one of the mercenaries that accompanied him on the streets of Washington, D.C. while trying to kill Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff, using both the grenade launcher and the assault rifle against them. He lost it during the battle, but he obtained another in the Triskelion and used to kill all S.H.I.E.L.D. pilots that were about to board their Quinjets and help Captain America.
- Barrett M82A1M: A heavy rifle that the Winter Soldier used as a sniper rifle during an assassination. He was captured in a photograph released in the press, but his image was so blurry and small that needed technological enhancements to be distinguished.
- FN Mk 13: A grenade launcher customized to fire Magnetic Disk Grenades. The Winter Soldier used it against Nick Fury's SUV, in an assassination attempt against Fury.
- Milkor MGL: A six-shot revolver-type grenade launcher, that the Winter Soldier used on the streets of Washington, D.C. against Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff. His first shot sent Rogers to the street down a highway, and he kept using it to destroy the cars that Romanoff used for cover until she also fell to the street.
- M67 Grenade: The Winter Soldier caught a grenade thrown at him by one of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents protecting the pilots at the Triskelion, and quickly threw it inside a Quinjet to destroy it.
- RGN Hand Grenade: The Winter Soldier rolled a heavily customized variant of the "Ручная Граната Наступательная (Ruchnaya Granata Nastupatel'naya)", a Soviet hand grenade, underneath a car towards what he thought was Natasha Romanoff, but was in reality just her PDA.
- Uniform: HYDRA designed a lightweight tactical suit for Bucky, complete with half-face mask attempting to conceal his true identity from the world. The uniform is constructed from Nomex thread and kevlar fiber. The lightweight suit provides resistance to small arms fire and has advanced flexibility for close quarters combat. In addition, he also sometimes wears bulletproof shade tinted goggles to further conceal his face and for eye protection.
- Bionic Arm (formerly): HYDRA designed for Bucky a special metallic bionic arm for Bucky's lost arm, which he lost it after falling from the train. During his transformation progress, he started to control over his new arm and strangled a HYDRA scientist. His new arm has also a red star on its shoulder, which shows that the Soviets who operated as allies for HYDRA were also participated in Barnes' progress to become into the Winter Soldier.
- Vibranium Arm: After losing his bionic arm to Iron Man, Bucky was given a vibranium arm by Shuri to fight against Thanos's army.
- In the series, he becomes The Lancer to Captain America in Captain America: The First Avenger, The Dragon to Alexander Pierce in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and The Big Bad of Captain America: Civil War, with Helmut Zemo as his Dragon. He performs a Heel Face Turn in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.
- In the comics, Bucky is younger than Steve Rogers. In the initial stories by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, Bucky was a teenage mascot for Captain America's regiment. He was later adapted to having been older. In the Ultimate Universe, Bucky was a paratrooper/war photographer who was a childhood friend of Steve Rogers, often having defended him from bullies. 57 years after Steve Rogers fell into the ocean and shortly after Rogers was revived, Bucky had become an aging, cancer-ridden veteran, who he married Rogers' wartime girlfriend.
- Bucky used Captain America's shield, in the comics Bucky becomes Captain America when Steve was supposedly dead.
- Unlike the comics, Bucky was a trainer and lover of Black Widow, and the two have rekindled their relationship and remained steady since Bucky's resurrection.
- To prepare for the role of the Winter Solder, Sebastian Stan went through five months of physical training and historical research: "I dove into the whole Cold War history: I looked at the KGB. I looked at all kinds of spy movies, and all kinds of documentaries about that time, and what it was about. I grabbed anything from that time period and anything about brainwashing.
- Sebastian Stan originally auditioned to play Captain America, but was cast as Bucky.
- In The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it is revealed that Bucky had already lost his metal arm in the 1950s while facing Super-Soldier Isaiah Bradley.
- He read J.R. Tolkein's The Hobbit in 1937, a fact that surprised Falcon.