Butterfree is a Bug/Flying-type Pokémon from the first generation. It evolves from Metapod at Level 10, after evolving from Caterpie at Level 7.
Butterfree resembles a vaguely anthropomorphic butterfly with a purple body. Unlike true insects, it has two body segments and four light-blue legs. The upper legs resemble small, three-fingered hands, while the lower pair resemble long, digit-less feet, Butterfree has two long antennae. a light blue snout with two fangs underneath, and a large, red compound eyes. Its two pairs of veined are white with black accents. The oval scales of a female Butterfree's lower wings are black, but white in males.
It loves the honey of flowers and can locate flower patches that have even the tiniest amounts of pollen. Butterfree's are known for their migratory breeding pattern.
In the Anime
Ash's Butterfree was once a Caterpie that was captured by him, and when it fully evolved, it had mated with a Pink Butterfree and they haven't been seen in the series since.
Powers and Abilities
Butterfree can travel up to six miles from its nest in search for honey, which it carries on the hair of its legs. It consumes sap from trees pierced by Heracross (which was shown in the anime).
Also their wings are covered in poisonous powder that can repel water, allowing it to fly even in the rain. Butterfree is able to produce spores that can hinder foes (i.e. Poison Powder, Stun Spore, and Sleep Powder). It is able to learn Psychic-type moves (Confusion, Psybeam, Psychic, etc).
Its other abilities include:
- Compound Eyes - boosts the Pokémon's accuracy.
- Tinted lens - Doubles the power of this Pokémon's "not very effective attacks".
- Butterfree's name is the combination of butterfly and free (referencing its ability to fly after being grounded for its pre-evolution stages).
- Butterfree is the first Pokémon to have an alternate color, pink. This was displayed in a single female in the anime, unlike the other shiny Butterfree's that have green eyes, and pink wings, limbs, and snout, this Butterfree is differed in its pink body and wings.
- It is often seen as a parallel to Beedrill in several ways:
- Both their unevolved forms evolve at level 7, and again at later 10.
- Both go through a metamorphosis-like evolution and have the same base stat total of 395.
- While Beedrill is exclusive to Black and Black 2, Butterfree is exclusive to White and White 2.
- However Beedrill has a mega stone, while Butterfree (as of yet) does not.
- Butterfree shares its category with Beautifly. Both are known as the Butterfly Pokémon.
Gym Leaders, Trial Captains, and Island Kahunas
Elite Four, Finalists, and Quarter Finalists
Groups and Organizations