|“||To infinity and beyond!||„|
|~ Buzz Lightyear's famous catchphase.|
|“||Woody, you're not a collector's item, you're a child's plaything. You are a TOY!||„|
|~ Buzz uses Woody's most famous quote to bring Woody back to his senses in Toy Story 2.|
Buzz Lightyear is the deuteragonist of the Disney/Pixar Toy Story franchise.
He is a spaceman action figure, with pop up wings, laser light flash, multi-sound voice simulator, wrist communicator, karate-chop action, and open-able space helmet and one of the toys owned by Andy Davis and later Bonnie Anderson. He is Woody's former rival--turned #1 best friend and Jessie's boyfriend. In the universe of Toy Story he is based on a space ranger, who alongside his crew of Star Command rangers defends the galaxy against evil plots hatched by the Evil Emperor Zurg.
In the films, Buzz is the deuteragonist of Toy Story and Toy Story 3, the tritagonist of Toy Story 2 and the tetartagonist of Toy Story 4.
In other media, he was the titular protagonist and the popular TV series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command and it's movie Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins, the protagonist of the Toy Story Toons short Small Fry and a supporting character in the TV specials Toy Story of Terror and Toy Story That Time Forgot.
In the films, TV Specials, and shorts, he is voiced by Tim Allen, who also played Dave Douglas in The Shaggy Dog, and Scott Calvin/Santa Claus in the Santa Clause trilogy. In the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command media, he is voiced by Patrick Warburton, who also played Sheriff Stone on Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove and its sequel, Kronk's New Groove, Steve Barkin on Kim Possible, and Joe Swanson on Family Guy.
Buzz physically appears as a slender spaceman action figure, blue eyes, with pop up wings, laser light flash, multi-sound voice simulator, wrist communicator, karate-chop action, and open-able space helmet.
Like Woody, Buzz's personality changes throughout the series.
In the first Toy Story, Buzz believed he was a real space ranger and not a toy, and because of this, he believed he could do anything a real space ranger could do, such as flying and using his "laser". (Though it was actually just a light bulb)
However, after discovering the truth about him being a toy, his personality changed completely. He became depressed that he never cared that he might die when Sid strapped him to a rocket. But after Woody tells Buzz being a toy is important, he begins to understand his role as a toy and develops a friendship with Woody.
Buzz seems to be clueless to human cultures, such as calling s'mores "schmoes" and Hawaii "Hei-wei-aii".
Buzz also has a crush on Jessie, but he is shy around her. Even in his demo mode, he calls Jessie a "temptress" and that he was immune to her "bewitching good looks". In his Spanish mode, Buzz becomes completely romantic towards Jessie.
|“||You are a sad, strange little man. And you have my pity. Farewell.||„|
|~ Buzz telling Woody he is a "sad, strange little man" before leaving him when they get lost in the gas station--His most famous quote.|
|“||How dare you open a spaceman's helmet on an uncharted planet?! My eyeballs could've been sucked from their sockets!||„|
|~ Buzz getting mad at Woody for opening his helmet.|
|“||Don't you get it?! You see the hat?! I AM MRS. NESBITT!||„|
|~ Buzz as Mrs. Nesbitt|
|“||No, no! Guys! You've got the wrong Buzz! YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG BUZZ!!!||„|
|“||What's important now is we stay together.||„|
|“||We're a family. We stay together.||„|
|~ Buzz refusing Lotso's offer|
- Buzz's original names were Lunar Larry and Tempus from Morph.
- In another Pixar film A Bug's Life, Flik used his catchphrase in the bloopers.
- Buzz makes a cameo in Finding Nemo, in the dentist's waiting room where Nemo spots him.
- A parody of Buzz Lightyear appeared in the MAD episode The Buzz Identity/Two and A Half-Man.
- Buzz was voiced by Tim Allen in the films and Patrick Warburton (who also played Joe Swanson) in Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
- Buzz was originally going to be voiced by Billy Crystal (who would later voice Mike Wazowski in Monsters Inc and Monsters University). In addition to Crystal, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, the late Gene Wilder, and Jim Carrey were originally going to voice Buzz.
- Buzz makes a cameo & mentioned on the 2 Vicky & Jewel episodes Jesus Hates You and Sue My Pants.
- He is named after astronaut Buzz Aldrin.
- Buzz's spacesuit was originally going to be red instead of green, white and purple.
- Buzz's concept art started out as Tinny from the Pixar Short film, Tin Toy.
- Along with Woody, Rex and Mr. Potato Head, Buzz is one of the four characters to appear in all four films, shorts and the TV special Toy Story of Terror and Toy Story That Time Forgot.
- In the French dubs of Toy Story media, his name is Buzz Leclair.
- Buzz Lightyear, along with Woody, was going to be one of Sora's summons in the role-playing video game Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, but was scrapped because Square Enix had not yet claimed the rights to Pixar properties, although a complete model of him without any textures was found in the game's code. Later, the D23 trailer of Kingdom Hearts III showed a new world based on Toy Story, where Woody and Buzz become Sora's party members to find and save Andy Davis at Galaxy Toys before Young Xehanort does. It is the first instance of a Pixar-based Kingdom Hearts world.
- Buzz makes a cameo appearance in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- Buzz screaming "YOU ARE A TOY!" at Woody at Al's apartment in Toy Story 2 is very similar to what Woody had said to Buzz while he and Buzz were stranded at the gas station in Toy Story.