|“||I started panicking. People got hurt.||„|
Samuel "Sam" Guthrie, also known as Cannonball, is one of the five main protagonists of The New Mutants.
He is a Kentuckian mutant with the ability to propel himself into the air and is invulnerable while doing so.
Sam is portrayed by Charlie Heaton, who also portrays Jonathan Byers in Stranger Things.
Sam Guthrie was the son of mining foreman Thomas Guthrie born in Kentucky. He had to join his father to work in the mines, but one day, he became claustrophobic that his mutants powers manifested. Sam blasted out, accidentally killing his father and most of the men on his crew. Afterwards, he was send to the Milbury Hospital where he would go on to meet Illyana Rasputin, Roberto Da Costa, and Rahne Sinclair; fellow mutants with their tragic backstory. They collectively believed that they were being trained to become the X-Men, hence the strict supervision. Meanwhile, Dr. Cecilia Reyes reminded them that they were considered to be dangerous and should not leave the Hospital until their powers were under control.
One day, during a therapy session with Dr. Reyes, they were joined by another fellow mutant, Danielle Moonstar, whose powers were unknown. Not long afterwards, Sam experienced a vision on which he relived the day of his accident. As days passed, the patients warmed up to each other and eventually, the group came together when Illyana spikes Dr. Reyes' coffee with sleeping pills, allowing them to run amok on the grounds. Eventually, the group discovered that Reyes had lied to them and that the Essex Corporation planned on using them as mutant killers. They confronted Reyes, who trapped them inside force fields, but manifestation of Dani's mutant powers conjured the Demon Bear, who killed Reyes and proceeded to hunt them. Eventually, Sam overcame his fears and, along with Roberto, aided Illyana in fighting off the Demon Bear until Dani got a hold of her powers and tamed it before allowing the creature to dissipate in peace. As the sun rose, the group collected their belongings and Sam noticed that the force fields around the Hospital was no longer there. The group decided to head into the nearby town which Reyes had previously told them was twenty miles out. Not knowing whether she was telling the truth, they all decided to head out together and face the unknown.
Powers and Abilities
- Thermo-Chemical Energy Field Propulsion: Cannonball has the ability to generate thermo-chemical light-purple energy from his entire body. This energy is used as thrust to cause his body to be propelled through the air at great heights and speeds.
- Blast Field: This energy manifests itself as an impenetrable and virtually indestructible "blast field." Sam can use this blast-field to function as a personal shield or extending it to encompass others, shape the field around another person to imprison them, or absorb outside kinetic impact into his own energy supply and then re-channel it to increase the bludgeoning power of his blows or create explosive shock waves upon impact. Sam is also capable of generating the blast field without actually having to blast off, though it takes him extreme concentration to prevent himself from propelling into the air.
- Flight: Sam is able to fly while using his abilities.
- Superhuman Strength: Cannonball possesses impressive strength due to the energy field that forms around his body allowing him to generate additional force.
- Superhuman Durability: Cannonball possesses great durability due to the energy field that forms around his body insulating him from outward impacts and collisions.
- According to the novelization for X-Men: The Last Stand, Cannonball was one of Wolverine's students.
- Cannonball was supposed to appear in Deadpool, but was instead replaced by Negasonic Teenage Warhead.