This Hero was Headlined on October 2011.
This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
|“||We must all live in the real world... and sometimes that world can be pretty grim. But it is the [American] Dream... the hope... that makes the reality worth living. In the early 1940's, I made a personal pledge to uphold the Dream... And as long as the Dream remains even partially unfulfilled, I cannot abandon it!||„|
|~ Captain America|
Captain America (real name Steven Grant "Steve" Rogers) is a character and titular patriotic superhero of the Captain America comic book and one of the first heroes in the Marvel Universe. He fought against Red Skull during WWII as part of a secret Super-Soldier Serum experiment - he was revived in the modern age by the Avengers and became their leader as a champion of the ideals of truth, justice and the American way.
Captain America was the first Marvel Comics character to appear in media outside comics with the release of the 1944 movie serial, Captain America. Since then, the character has been featured in other films and television series. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), the character was portrayed by Chris Evans.
|“||Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- "No, you move.||„|
|~ Captain America (Steven Rogers)|
Captain America is traditionally seen as one of the greatest heroes of the Marvel Universe. He is a righteous and brave man who always wants to see the good in people. From his origins as a superhero, Cap has always devoted himself to the protection of the weak and the defense of freedom and justice.
In spite of his virtues; however, Cap is plagued by his status as a "man out of time". Remembering his days as a soldier in World War II, Cap is worried that his idealism might be considered outdated in the modern world. Furthermore, seeing how idealized his legacy has become throughout the years, Cap sometimes believes that he might not be able to fulfill the image the world has of him. Regardless, Cap is still seen as the pinnacle of heroism and an example for everyone to follow.
Super Soldier Serum: Originally, the Super-Soldier Serum enhanced all of Rogers' bodily (including mental) to peak of human potential. However, Dr. Abraham Erskine stated his enhanced condition is "second to none" to non-enhanced humans. He can push his powers between peak human and low-level superhuman. He possesses enhanced strength, speed, agility, durability, stamina, reflexes, and accelerated healing. The Super-Soldier Serum also grants him heightened senses, a boosted immunity system and metabolism, and a regenerative healing factor which keeps him young and healthy.
Artificially Enhanced Physiology:: As a result of the Super-Soldier Serum, Steve Roger’s body was enhanced to next step in human evolution and possesses enhanced physical and mental abilities superior to even the most extensively trained humans and any Olympic level athlete who has ever competed. The serum is definite, meaning even if he choses to live an unhealthy lifestyle none of his powers would weaken, Either way Rogers maintains a healthy life style which appears to have increased his capabilities further, much like how it increases it in regular humans.
- Enhanced Strength: Steve's strength has been enhanced to the very peak of human potential; pushing into low-level superhuman strength, making him consistently able to sustain lifts exceeding 800 lbs (363 kg). This strength also extends to his legs, enabling him to leap 20 ft (6 m) out in a single bound, and 10 ft (3 m) into the air without a running start. Though when really pushed, he has been able to leap even greater heights than 10 ft. He can snap steel handcuffs and chains with ease, overcome the pulling power of two modified motorcycles, wield a heavy bench-press barbell like it was a light-weight weapon, remove a large stone block from a wall using chains, topple a large statue while trying to break the chains that tied him to it, smash wooden columns with his fist, lift up a heavy utility pole, and a large steel beam, breaking through wooden walls and steel doors with a single kick, as well as lifting General Wo, a 460-lb. sumo wrestler, over his head and throwing him. Captain America's strength has been compared to that of 10 on first glance by some sort of Nazi, possibly a dozen or more. It should be noted that Steve also seems to hold back meaning that his maximum could possibly be a bit higher. Steve is shown capable of overhead pressing a large tree which should put his abilities in the multiton area. He has bench pressed 2,200 pounds on daily workout routine. Outside of canon Steve's abilities get even more incredible being shown able to lift a large slab of concrete and throw it several metres away at a large building as well as being depicted to overhead press a 1940s coupe.
- Enhanced Speed: Rogers can move at speeds equal to that of the absolute finest human athlete, being capable of running at a sustained 35 mph (56 kph); he was able to complete a 40-yard dash in 3.82 seconds. however, he has shown capacity to run at twice that pace over shorter distances when necessary or a mile "in just over a minute. He was stated to be able to run a mile in 60 seconds on two separate occasions and the typical person's average speed on a mile is somewhere from half to two thirds of their sprint. During Theater of War series, a soldier stated that Captain America is able to "run faster than we can drive (HMMWV) him, and humvees can travel at top speed up to 70 miles an hour (mph). From all this reasoning it can be said that Captain America can run at almost 100 miles per hour one complete sprint.
- Enhanced Durability: His bones and muscles are vastly harder and far denser than typical humans, as they are amplified to the highest human potential and beyond, making him extremely durable. He is durable enough that a concrete block, or a hardwood ax handle, have been shown to break against him with Rogers exhibiting little discomfort. During the Super Soldier event, he withstood being struck by an ironwood bat with no visible injury. This is how he survived other forms of extensive punishment throughout his career, such as withstanding a nearby explosion, being buried beneath a collapsed building after having been smashed through many walls and floors by the Red Skull from Super-Patriot: Part 4, and such as the time he landed on a vehicle, or a high altitude, low open parachute jump that lasted a few seconds from ten miles up during the mini storyline of Captain America Living Legend part 2, with little to no injury.
- Enhanced Agility: Rogers' agility is beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete. He can coordinate his body with perfect balance, flexibility, equilibrium, coordination, and dexterity.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Rogers' reaction speed is almost ten times faster than normal humans, granting his reflexes at the superhuman level. Unlike most characters in a comparable range such as Bucky Barnes or Wolverine, Steve has implied that he is capable of dodging bullets by seeing faster them rather than reacting to the gun, which is partially of his enhanced senses.
- Enhanced Stamina: Steve's body eliminates the excessive build-up of fatigue-producing chemicals in his muscles and his muscles generates less fatigue-toxins. Rogers' is unable to feel the fatigue toxins flowing through his body, however this does not mean that he doesn't tire, it means he doesn't feel the effects of it. This grants him exceptional endurance and lung capacity. He can exert himself at peak capacity for several hours without any rest and before showing any signs of fatigue toxins in his bloodstream. Steve does occasionally need to eat and sleep however his efficient metabolic systems and inability to feel fatigue allow Steve to fight for potentially days or weeks without experiencing the negative effects of exhaustion.
- Acclerated Healing Factor: Rogers' healing speed and efficiency is enhanced to function at the absolute peak limitations of human capabilities, which means he can heal faster than typical humans. The white blood cells and Super-Soldier Serum in his body are efficient enough to fight off any microbe, foreign body, and other pathogens from his body, keeping him healthy and immune from all infections, diseases, disorders, etc. Steve's metabolism work's several times faster than regular humans making it take incredible doses of drugs to incapacitate him. Rogers furthermore cannot become intoxicated by alcohol, drugs, or impurities in the air, and is thus immune to typical terrestrial diseases. He is also immune to hypnosis or gases that could limit his focus, which makes him genetically perfect. Rogers' ability to heal is so great that his eyes regenerated after having been incapacitated by Arnim Zola's RoboticBody furthermore, he survived a bullet to the head, though he was unconscious for at least six weeks, and Alisande Morales surmised that Rogers recovered partially due to sheer willpower.
- Enhanced Mental Process: His mental performance is greatly enhanced allowing it to operate in the most advanced and rapid manner possible. His mind also processes information quickly, giving him an accelerated learning aptitude, this makes him capable of adapting to most if not all fighting styles within seconds and within mere months of his training he became proficient in all fighting styles known to man at that time. Rogers can also quickly multi-task and analyze multiple, limitless information streams and rapidly respond to changing tactical situations. He possesses an eidetic/photographic memory and perfect recall (meaning he never forgets what he sees or experiences), the ability to speed read, and can intuitively understand what's going to happen and how to deal with it. This enables him to remember any military tactic and apply it to any situation, making him the best tactician in history.
- Enhanced Senses: Rogers' five senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch are enhanced to the highest limits of human potential; meaning they are better than average humans. He once said that he is able to dodge bullets because he sees faster than them, as if time itself is standing still. He was able to hear trucks driving by from far away, as well as the slightest footfall, and could feel heat through thick walls simply by lightly brushing against them.
- Eternal Youth: The Super Soldier Serum prevents Rogers from aging, granting him the power of ageless immortality. Steve possess a form of eternal youth. It is theorized that the perfect cells of super soldiers make them age slower, this was tested when he spent a decade in Dimension Z, yet returned to Earth the same day with no noticeable signs of aging. Beyond this the Hydra alternative of the infinity formula called the Lazarus formula was injected into Steve. Though the exact changes that the Formula made it likely just made cap more enduring and durable and probably increased his healing and suspended his aging even further.
- Blindsight: Cap can act, fight and navigate while blind, in darkness or otherwise sightless. This comes from his ability to sense airflow changes and from extensive knowledge of the enemies that he faces. Though this ability does exist to an extent, Steve like any human is greatly impaired in effectiveness when fighting without vision. Furthermore his abilities are not like daredevil's meaning he needs to be in close proximity to his enemies to make use of this.
- Photographic Reflexes: He can duplicate most techniques after seeing them. He can master the techniques in a reletively short period of time. Steve is nowhere near the level of Tony Masters in duplicating techniques.
- Pain control: Steve has been shown capable of fighting through pain that would greatly impair a normal human from fighting. He was able to fight while in pains that would send some people into shock such as performing surgery on himself with a rusty blade and pulling out an infected piece of flesh.
- Master Tactician and Strategist: Rogers is an accomplished strategist. He had been widely considered one of, if not the greatest, tacticians on the planet, both on and off the battlefield. He is able to formulate battle strategies and his brilliant tactical sense allows him to alter any strategy to fit the changing need of the situation.
- Master Martial Artist: He is an master in hand-to-hand combat being extremely skilled in numerous martial arts through his training in the military and instruction under various private instructors (he may have learned most of his initial knowledge from WW2 trainers such William Fairbairne and Rex Applegate who pioneered most the methods utilized in that period). Rogers on his own training has became adept in many, possibly all fighting styles. Steve is also the best trained hand to hand fighter in the world and considered one of the most skilled martial artists of all time.
- Master Shieldmanship: His years of training and experience with his unique shield, as well as its physical properties, allow him to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, he is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim. Rogers can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet, and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing him to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from.
- Advanced Military Operator: He is well-versed in all Armed force disciplines including intelligence gathering, escape arts, assassination, demolition, survival tactics, hunting, swimming, mountaineering, march/drill skills, map making and reading, decoding cipher and other secret code messages, reading and making wood craft signs and other secret code languages, disguising, interrogation, computers, explosives, communication systems, vehicles and electronic appliances used in armed forces.
- Master Acrobat: His years of training and experience have made him an expert acrobat, gymnast, and aerialist. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes.
- One-Man Army: Cap is able to fight against seemingly, overwhelming odds with ease. He is a capable warrior on the battlefield, decimating the enemy single-handedly and with near supernatural finesse that pars with the skill of more experienced fighters. This ability can manifest into various ways but is usually the result of extreme martial skill. His ability are as deadly at long-range combat as he is in close quarters.
- Combat Perception: Cap can instantly understand an opponent's method of thinking and fighting and anticipating their moves. Once he understands his enemies strategy, he is able to find their flaw and weakness and take them down with little effort. While normally Steve sticks to a rather basic fighting style despite his immense talent as a martial artist, Steve's fighting style also changes to best his enemies. For instance in Civil War Spider-Man noted that Steve's fighting style is planned out entirely to be one fluid move that uses opponents strengths and weaknesses against them, however when combating against Iron Fist his fighting styles was basic to throw Iron Fist off guard and his speed and power was used as a redeeming quality.
- Indomitable Will: Rogers is a very strong-willed person. He is able to overcome most forms of temptation and resist the effects of extreme pain, drugs and toxins to a great extent. Rogers accepts his own mortality, and refuses to rob any sapient being of their freedom. During the Destiny War, he destroyed the Forever Crystal, deciding it was too dangerous to exist, despite the many benefits of its power.
- Professional Sketch Artist: He has great artistic skill which he developed from childhood. Rogers often worked as a freelance illustrator and sketch artist even loaning his skills to the NYPD for a time. He enjoys drawing and does so with his free time.
- Expert Marksman: He can throw most projectile weaponry with great aim and is well-versed in the use of firearms, though he prefers not to use them.
- Expert Swordsman: Steve is proficient with swords and staffs, but is more comfortable with his shield.
- Weapons Proficiency: He does not typically utilize weapons other than his shields, but in desperate situations he wields additional weapons to ensure victory. He is proficient in wielding swords, daggers, throwing knifes, staffs, sticks, tonfa, axes, maces and even firearms. Though these were only a few of the weapons that cap has demonstrated versatility with, Beast claims that Steve can master any weapon he is put with within seconds.
- Multilingual: Rogers is fluent in English, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, at least some French, and some Italian. He might be lingual in other languages.
- Expert Vehicular driver: He is proficient in driving cars, motorcycles, trucks, jets, tankers, helicopters, motorboats, submarines, and some types of trains and utility vehicles.
- Hypnotic Charm: He's a very eloquent speaker, always knowing intuitively what to say. He can compel others to believe what he says and agree with anything he suggests.
- Alpha Presence: He’s raw “power”, which perceive as either as supernatural charisma or an overwhelming fear/intimidation aura. He can take charge, make allies, whenever he wants and anyone will feel compelled to follow, even Thor and Thano's recognize this ability.
- Natural Body: Possesses a perfect body, with smooth flawless skin, perfect white teeth, perfect hair on his head, even without training his muscles are brawny and his body shape remain's perfect no matter how much calories he intakes. He is very "well-endowed" possesses endless vitality, potency and virility. He is, tall and dignified young man, with a "perfect, Golden-proportioned body" emanating majesty that makes flames surrounding him afraid to come close. He's a remarkably handsome and beautiful man an elegant face, valiant eyebrow, violet eyes, his features are capable of sweeping a woman's heart at a glance. He has a strong, attractive manly scent that rises from him. He possessed a set of vocal cords that an also copy any sound he had heard or imagined.
- Captain America's Shield: Captain America's signature weapon is his shield, which is made of the rare vibranium alloy that renders it light, vibration-proof and indestructible. He uses the shield not only for defensive measures, but offensive attacks in close combat and throwing the shield as a projectile at a target from long range. Rogers somehow managed to master a boomerang-like return effect meaning he's able to retrieve the shield without anything of it to ricochet off of.
- In the 1944 serial Captain America, the character District Attorney Grant Gardner (played by the late Dick Purcell) is loosely based on Captain America.
- In 3 Dev Adam, he was portrayed by Aytekin Akkaya.
- In the 1990 film Captain America, he was portrayed by Matt Salinger.
- In the Ultimate Avengers animated films, he was voiced by Justin Gross, who also voiced Ryu Hayabusa in the Ninja Gaiden.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he was portrayed by Chris Evans, who also played Human Torch in the 2000s Fantastic Four films, Curtis Everett in Snowpiercer, while Patrick Gorman portrayed him as an old man at the end of Avengers: Endgame.
- In Iron Man & Captain America: Heroes United, he was voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who voices Sonic the Hedgehog in numerous media and games, and voiced Chris Redfield in the Resident Evil series, Ezio Auditore da Firenze in the Assassin's Creed series, Batman in Batman: Arkham Origins, Kyle Crane in Dying Light, Siegfried Schtauffen in the Soulcalibur series, Bushwack and Boom Jet in Skylanders.
- Craig also voiced the character in the Marvel Animated Universe, Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, Marvel Future Avengers (English dub), Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Lego Marvel Super Heroes: Maximum Overload, Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda, and Marvel Powers United VR.
- In the 1970s live-action television series, Captain America and Captain America II: Death Too Soon, he was portrayed by Red Brown.
- In the 1980s Spider-Man animated series, he was voiced by the late George DiCenzo.
- DiCenzo also voiced the character in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
- In the 1990s X-Men animated series, he was voiced by Lawrence Bayne.
- In Spider-Man: The Animated Series, he was voiced by David Hayter, who also voiced Solid Snake and Big Boss in the Metal Gear series.
- In The Avengers: United They Stand, he was voiced by Dan Chameroy.
- In The Super Hero Squad Show, he was voiced by Tom Kenny, who voices SpongeBob SquarePants in the titular series.
- Kenny also voiced the character in the series' video games.
- In Black Panther, he was voiced by Adrian Pasdar, who also voiced Iron Man in the Marvel Animated Universe.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, he was voiced by Brian Bloom, who voices William "B.J." Blazkowicz in MachineGames' Wolfenstein series, and voiced Matt Horner in the StarCraft series, Yuri in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Keegan Russ in Call of Duty: Ghosts, Nick Reyes in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Adam "Kane" Marcus in the Kane and Lynch series, Alex Shepherd in Silent Hill: Homecoming, and Jackie Estacado in The Darkness II.
- Bloom also voiced the character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Marvel Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
- In Marvel Future Avengers, he was voiced by Kazuhiro Nakaya.
- In the Marvel vs. Capcom series, he was voiced by Cal Dodd until Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, he was voiced by Trev Broudy.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, he was voiced by David Kaye, who also voiced James Gordon in Batman: Arkham City.
- In Marvel Avengers Academy, he was voiced by Dean Panaro.
- In Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, he was voiced by Josh Cowdery.
- In Marvel's Avengers, he was voiced by Jeff Schine, who also voiced Frank Aiello in Call of Duty: WWII, Javier García in Telltale's The Walking Dead, Carlos Oliveira in the Resident Evil 3 remake and Chris Redfield in Resident Evil: Village.
- In Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D., he was voiced by Jeffrey Hedquist.
- In Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine, he was voiced by Trevor Devall.
- Devall also voiced the character in Wolverine verses Sabretooth.
- In Wolverine: Weapon X, he was voiced by Clay St. Thomas.
Rogers was turned not only into a soldier but, in light of being the US's only super-soldier, was made a symbol of his country. Rogers was given a uniform decorated in red, white and blue and sent to the front lines to try to make as big an impact as he could before he was eventually shot down in the line of duty. Rogers first mission went better than expected and he not only survived, but helped turn the tide of the entire battle. With that, the US military realized just how much a single soldier could make, as did Rogers himself and he was re-dubbed "Captain America" and used for either battles vital to the Allies victory over the Axis or on secret missions to destroy, undermine the Nazi's more illicit activities, such as those of their science boosters, HYDRA.
The Captain America comics were originally US war-time propaganda in real life. The character of Captain America was used symbolically to inspire troops to fight the Nazis and imply that Captain America would be right out there with them. The first comics were little more than small panels about beating up Hitler or stopping evil Nazi experiments (in real life, the Nazis did dream and boast that they would have a super-soldier program of their own) and so soldiers were encouraged to fight and die for their country to prevent it, with the Captain America comics showing a worst-case scenario where the Nazis actually had achieved super-soldier technology. Later Marvel would collect, string together and/or reform previous issues to make a coherent story that continued the character after the war ended.
- It should be noted that while early issues stated that Captain America was fighting the Nazis on the front-lines, most if not all real-life soldiers knew it to be just a comic, though one that they were happy to escape into.
- Ranked 2nd in "The Top 50 Avengers" in 2012.
- Ranked 6th on IGN's "Top 100 Comic Book Heroes of All Time".
- Raked 2nd on IGN's "Top 25 Best Marvel Superheroes".
- He is one of the few characters worthy to wield Mjolnir.
- He has been entrusted with Black Panther's technology, and has access to Iron Man's armory.
- He was granted a Paladin-Plus Clearance at the Pentagon.
- Joe Simon initially considered calling him "Super American", but decided not to, arguing that there were too many "Supers" and not a lot of "Captains" in comics at the time.
- Captain America is one of the few people that Deadpool respects, due to him being his childhood hero, and both empathize with each other due to them both getting their powers from an experiment. In addition, Rogers is one of the few heroes to like Deadpool, and isn't quick to be annoyed with him.
- He has had a romantic relationship with Peggy Carter, Golden Girl, Agent 13, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow.
- He is similar to Superman of DC Comics.
- Both are symbolic heroes for America.
- Both are often portrayed as leaders of their teams.
- Both have evil counterparts, and have fought them.
- Both have fought a close ally (Iron Man and Batman).
- He is also similar to Wonder Woman:
- Both are role models.
- Both are shield users.
- Both are often titled with the United States (Captain America, and Miss America is a nickname for Wonder Woman).
- Both are founding members of their teams.
- Captain America is the first Marvel hero to be headlined on this site.