|“||... You're not monsters. You're the best chance those kids have. Which is why you have to keep trying to make a difference. No matter how hard it gets.||„|
|~ Ms. Marvel.|
|“||My name is Captain Marvel... I am an Earthling and an Avenger. But today I stand as one with the settlers of Torfa, who claim this planet and its resources as they were freely given in the aftermath of the Behemoth disaster... They are a peaceful people, but I am a woman of war. If you move against them, you move against me. I am willing to die here today, for this cause. I have made my choice... Now you make yours.||„|
|~ Captain Marvel.|
Ms. Marvel (real name Carol Susan Jane Danvers, and Kree name Car-Ell), now known as Captain Marvel is a fictional character and super heroine from the Marvel comics and universe. She is a human and Kree hybrid who became a pilot for the United States Air Force, and became a superheroine after unlocking her powers from the Psyche-Magnitron. During her heroic career, she has donned the nicknames Binary and Warbird, and she later became a member of the Avengers and prominent ally of the X-Men.
She was created by Roy Thomas and Gene Colan, and first appeared in Marvel Super-Heroes # 13 in March of 1968.
Carol Danvers was the oldest child and only daughter of her family, Carol finally decided to defy the sexist views of her father and join the Air Force after graduating high school. Reaching the top of her class, Carol was named the head of the Cape Cod division of NASA, where she met and befriended the Kree superhero Captain Mar-Vell. Eventually, Carol was captured by Mar-Vell's nemesis, Colnel Yon-Rogg, who intended on using her as bait to lure the space born hero to his doom.
During the fight, Carol was exposed to the energies of a Kree Psyche-Megatron, which was a sort of alien Cosmic Cube, turning thought into reality and giving all the power of a Kree warrior. Developing a split personality as a result, Carol became the superhero, Ms. Marvel, wearing a feminized version of Mar-Vell's red and dark blue uniform, and fighting crime. Eventually, the Ms. Marvel personality was destroyed, leaving Carol with the Ms. Marvel powers.
After a brief membership in the Avengers, Carol lost her powers to a then-evil Rogue, and replaced them with energy based abilities, going by the name, Binary. During the House of M event, Carol regained her original Ms. Marvel powers, and has taken up the name once more. After the war with the X-Men and the Phoenix Force, Carol would take on the mantle of Captain Marvel, honoring her mentor's legacy.
Carol Danvers is the daughter of Naval officer Joe Danvers and Mari-Ell, a Kree captain who was tasked by her race to assimilate onto Earth. Though Mari-Ell succeeded in her goal of having a hybrid child with a human, she abandoned her mission for the Kree to raise her daughter, and gave her the Kree name "Car-Ell" (which means "Champion"). Carol was raised in Boston, Massachusetts in her youth with her two stepbrothers Joe and Steven Danvers.
During her childhood, Joe Danvers, Sr. became abusive towards Carol, fearing retaliation from the Kree, and didn't support her ideals of going to college or becoming an astronaut. Carol joined the United States Air Force when she turned eighteen, and intended to be a pilot and go to college through the military. Carol managed to become top of her class, but further distanced herself from her father when Steve was killed in action.
Carol would test a Stark Industries jet when she was shot down in Afghanistan, and she was captured and tortured until she managed to escape. After escaping, she was recruited into the Air Force Special Operations, and was later transferred to be a NASA security officer. While working for NASA, Carol met and befriended Dr. Walter Lawson, who was secretly a Kree soldier named Mar-Vell, and the legendary hero Captain Marvel. Carol would eventually be kidnapped by Yon-Rogg to lure in Mar-Vell, and during the battle, Carol was knocked into the Kree Psyche-Magnitron. Upon being knocked into the machine, Carol's genetic structure was altered, unlocking her Kree powers.
Becoming a Superhero
Carol would leave NASA after she was demoted due to the events, writing a book that became a best seller, and she began to work as a editor for Woman Magazine. Though she saw success in her career as a writer, the Psyche-Magnitron caused Carol develop a split personality, which allowed her to use her powers. However, Carol would black out when her split personality was activated, and she became the superheroine "Ms. Marvel". The first heroic she committed was saving J. Jonah Jameson from Scorpion, but Jameson didn't like the superheroine and wanted Carol to expose Ms. Marvel's identity.
Eventually, her Ms. Marvel persona learned that she was Carol, and refused to receive hypnosis from Dr. Michael Barnett. Carol would continue with her heroics, such as fighting against M.O.D.O.K. and his brainwashing, and would met and befriend Jessica Jones. Carol then met with Hecate, who helped realize her split personality, and manage to use her Kree powers without blacking out. Ms. Marvel would then join the Avengers, taking the position of Scarlet Witch during her leave of absence.
Though the Avengers believed her stay would be temporary, the team found her to be a valuable member after stopping Absorbing Man and saving the Maximoff twins. During one of their adventures, Carol became mysteriously ill and later learned that she was pregnant, which was caused by Marcus Immortus.
After the incident with Immortus, Carol moved to San Francisco to find a peace of mind, but encountered the mutant Rogue, who has the capability to absorb someone's powers. During the battle, Rogue absorbed Carol's powers, which left Danvers with her genetic structure and amnesiac. Carol was then rescued by Spider-Woman, and taken to the X-Mansion where Professor X managed to restore some of Carol's memories, but couldn't link the emotional bond from her memories. After her encounter with the X-Men, Carol became a prominent ally to the mutants, and would assist and go on missions with them. Carol would eventually leave the X-Men and was given a farewell, but was captured by Deathbird and the Brood who subjected her to the evolutionary ray. The ray triggered the potential of Carol's augmentation, and became the cosmic Binary when she was escaping with Wolverine. After the incident, Colossus asked Carol to join the X-Men, but she refused, not wanting to be confined on Earth since she could fly across space. Though Professor X attempted to restore Carol's memories, she find herself disconnected to the people of Earth, and decided to adventure in space and join the Starjammers.
Carol would return to Earth to save the sun from dying, and her power would be depleted from doing so. Carol would go by the name "Warbird" and rejoined the Avengers, but would leave to work for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. During the "House of M" storyline, Carol would oppose Scarlet Witch and joined the New Avengers, and managed to revert reality with the help of other heroes. When the superhero registration act started, Carol sided with Iron Man against Captain America, and would worked with Wonder Woman in an attempt to stop Julia Carpenter. After the civil war, Carol became the leader of the Mighty Avengers, which was a branch of the 50-state Initiative. She would participate in the Skrull invasion, and later joined the New Avengers after half of the roster of the Mighty Avengers left.
Becoming Captain Marvel
When the Phoenix Force was heading towards Earth, Danvers was tasked with stopping the entity at all cost, and reunited with a resurrected Mar-Vell. Danvers would learn that Mar-Vell and the Kree were brainwashed by the Phoenix Force into believing that it would bring them salvation, but Vision managed to release Mar-Vell from the illusion before the force made it closer to Earth. Mar-Vell then sacrificed himself to save Hala, which caused the Phoenix Force to depart from Earth. After stopping the entity, Carol decided to take on the mantle of Captain Marvel, honoring her mentor's legacy. Carol would briefly join the Guardians of the Galaxy, but would return to Earth and started a romantic relationship with War Machine.
Powers and Abilities
Due to her genetic altering from the Psyche-Magnitron, Ms. Marvel possesses superhuman strength, speed and agility, mild invulnerability, flight, and from her time as Binary, energy absorption and redirection. She is noted as being a powerful superheroine in the comics, and Nick Fury classified her as a power level eight.
- Human-Kree Physiology
- Superhuman Strength: Carol is superhumanly strong and is listed at a normal level of roughly Class 200 tons, half her original Binary power levels. However, since she is able to absorb various types of energy, she can use this energy to temporarily increase her physical strength to levels similar to that of her time as Binary, in which form she reaches beyond class 600 tons.
- Superhuman Speed: She is capable of running and accelerating at high speeds which a human could never achieve.
- Superhuman Stamina: Carol's musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human. As Binary, she could physically exert herself at peak capacity for about 24 hours before fatigue begins to impair her. She was reduced to roughly half this after losing her Binary powers. However, she is capable of channeling absorbed energy to further increase her stamina to higher levels.
- Superhuman Durability: The tissues of her body are considerably harder and more resistant to physical injury than those of an ordinary human. Carol is capable of withstanding high caliber bullets, great impact forces, falls from great heights, exposure to temperature and pressure extremes, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining any injury. While channeling the energy she absorbed, her body's resilience is extended to an even greater degree.
- Superhuman Agility: Carol's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Her reflexes are heightened in a similar manner and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Supersonic Flight: Carol is capable of propelling herself through the air and the vacuum of space at tremendous speeds. Although her top speed is unknown, she flew at three times the speed of sound for several hours, so it is likely she can go much faster.
- Cosmic Awareness: Part of her original power set as Ms. Marvel, Carol was subconsciously able to anticipate the moves of her opponents, though this power was not exactly reliable and activated randomly. After Rogue robbed her of her powers, she was subsequently transformed into Binary. After these powers faded, it seems that Carol's Seventh Sense returned. T'challa theorized that when the Kree Psychi-Magnitron that gave Carol her powers, that she inherited some of Captain Mar-Vell's abilities during exposure to it. In that sense her travels across Exospace and the like bolstered this aspect of her powers to see the cage outside of reality that's binding The Marvel Universe.
- Photonic Beams: Carol can fire powerful concussion blasts of photon and stellar light energy similar to Dragonball's Ki-Blasts, from her hands and fingertips.
- Energy Absorption: Her body is capable of absorbing various types of energy for the purpose of temporarily enhancing her own physical attributes. She can augment her strength and energy projection up to the force of an exploding nuclear weapon. If empowered by enough energy, she can assume her Binary form again temporarily. The absorbed energy increases the potency of her metabolism, allowing her to quickly regenerate from catastrophic wounds. Minor Molecular Control: She can use absorbed energy to transform her regular clothing into her costume and vice-versa.
- Binary Mode: Carol's most powerful form. As Binary, Carol was once linked to the power of a white hole and was able to generate heat, light, radiation and access all other forms of energy along the electromagnetic spectrum on an almost solar scale. She also had minor control over gravity. She could breathe in space and travel at the speed of light. After this link was severed, she could no longer do so on the level she once had. However, the capacity for this power still remains within her.
- Metamorphosis: When Carol was fused with the alien, Carol had the ability alter biomass and alternate between her physical appearance.
Carol is also a skilled military aircraft and starship pilot and she extensively trained in armed and unarmed combat during her career in the USAF.
- Military Training: Carol received military training when she joined the United States Air Force.
- Master Pilot: Carol is capable pilot, having received experience from her time in the Air Force.
- Multilingualism: Carol is multilingual, being fluent in Russian, Arabic and Kree, and has a limited knowledge of other languages, such as Chinese.
- Her Kree name, Car-Ell, means "Champion".
- Ranked # 11 on IGN's "Top 50 Avengers" in 2012.
- Ranked # 29 in Comics Buyer's Guide's "100 Sexiest Woman in Comics".