|“||There is something about the way the X-Men fight. Their history together -- all those victories, defeats, secrets, lies, betrayals, love and hate -- it makes them something only they can be. They fight for themselves, and for us, but also for what they are. Every battle is a statement. We are mutantkind. Look how beautiful we are.||„|
|~ Professor X.|
|“||A new generation of mutants is emerging, that much is certain. They will be called freaks. Genetic monstrosities. [...] But they are emerging in the inner cities, in the suburbs, in the deserts and the jungles. And when they emerge, they will need teachers, people who can help them overcome their anger and show them how to use their strange gifts responsibly. They will need us.||„|
|~ Professor X.|
Charles Francis Xavier, or just Xavier for short, and also known as Professor X, is the founder of the X-Men and a dedicated champion of mutant/human co-existence - forming the X-Men as a means to protect the world against evil and criminal mutants as well as anti-mutant humans that sought to destroy or enslave each other.
Professor Xavier's ultimate goal is a world, where all people are equal regardless of their origin and although paralyzed from the waist down he is a hero - without him the X-Men would never of existed and without his guidance many of the heroes we grew to love would of turned to darkness in their hours of need.
Professor Xavier was created by the late Stan Lee and the late Steve Ditko, and first appeared in X-Men # 1 in September of 1963.
Professor Charles Xavier discovered his mutant powers, when he was attending collage at Oxford university, though he had early flare-ups through-out his child-hood he would come into, understand and control his powers shortly after he met his college sweet-heart Moira Kinross. Charles would be drafted to fight in the Korean War and during his absence Moira found a new boyfriend and married him.
Xavier went on a journey to find himself following his service and took a trip around the world. During a tour of Africa Xavier met a sinister psychic named, Amahl Farouk, AKA the Shadow King, on par with his own abilities but using them to mentally enslave local mutants to do his bidding. Xavier fought Shadow King on the astral-plane for the freedom of his captive, Ororo Munroe. Xavier won the duel and Shadow King was sealed away on the Astral Plane, his influences cut-off from the normal world, Ororo and others like her under the Shadow King's rule were freed.
After seeing the level to which mutant poweres could be abused, Xavier made up his mind to start putting together a safe haven for mutants, to both be safe from the fear of normal humans and learn how to safely master their abilities and constructively apply them, thus did Xavier establish the Xavier Institute for the Gifted, publicly a school but secretly one for mutants, Ororo was among Xavier's first students and took on the code name "Storm" for her ability to manipulate the weather.
In the early years of his work Xavier met another mutant called Erik "Magnus" Lehnsherr, and the two worked as doctors at a clinic established for treating Holocaust Survivors. Magnus and Xavier became very close friends and soon discovered they were both mutants, Magnus being one who could give off and control magnetic waves. In addition to genuinely wanting to make a difference for victims of the Holocaust and mutants, both of whom Magnus was convinced would share similar treatment, both men also wished to better their abilities and in-between their duties trained with each-other to better themselves.
Magnus would help Xavier craft a device called Cerebro for his Institute. Cerebro was a telepathy amplifier that would allow psychics, like Charles, to detect and identify mutants from anywhere on the planet. Magnus also helped with Charles's recruitment of mutants for the Institute.
Over the course of their time working together at the clinic one of Charles' patients, Gabrielle Haller was captured by agents of Hydra, working for former Nazi scientist Baron von Strucker. Baron von Strucker had unfinished business with Haller as one of his test- subjects for Hydra research and had her recaptured to continue his research, though Strucker also had been curious as to Xavier's threat capacity since Shadow King had been one of Baron von Strucker's main contacts in Africa.
Xavier and Magnus sprang to action immediately to track down the Hydra agents and retrieve Haller. Both men were not only outraged at the mere notion of having an innocent woman abducted right out of her hospital bed but for Xavier she had also become his girlfriend and for Lehnsherr the notion of Nazis abducting anyone to be used as a guinea-pig struck a cord with him as he was not only a mutant but, Jewish and a Holocaust Survivor himself.
Xavier and Lehnsherr tracked down the Hydra agents, disband their operation and freed Haller, Magnus however intend to wipe-out every single person at the camp starting with Baron von Strucker. Charles stayed Magnus's hand and Strucker got away. Magnus swore he would never again show any such mercy and Charles insisted they had to, at that moment they both realized they could no longer be friends, as the act of mercy against the worst humanity had to offer was the point at which both men drew their respective moral lines.
Magnus would go off on his own after the encounter with Hydra, taking on the new identity "Magneto". Charles took Gabrielle back to safety and the two would have a brief love affair, one that would result in Gabrielle getting pregnant with Charles's son, though she never told him. Charles refocused his full attention towards his Institute, putting all his time and energy into training mutants and helping to prevent them from getting to the same point as his former friend.
Charles Francis Xavier was born in New York City, New York to nuclear researcher Dr. Brian Xavier and his wife, Sharon Xavier. While in his mother's womb, Charles' twin sister Cassandra was recognized by him as being an evil presence, and attempted to kill her with his psychic abilities, causing a miscarriage. When Brian died in a car accident, Sharon married Dr. Kurt Marko, Brian's colleague, who had a son from a previous marriage named Cain.
Charles was constantly bullied by Cain, as Kurt favored him over his own son, and would beat him for abusing Charles. Around the age of ten, Charles' telepathic powers began to emerge, and he learned how to control them as he got older, but became bald at a young age due to the great psychic energies coming from his head. Charles used his telepathy to read Kurt's mind, and discovered that he only married for his mother for her money, and admitted that he was jealous of Brian's wealth. Kurt started to abuse both Sharon and Cain, and Sharon became an alcoholic after realizing Marko never loved her.
Charles linked his mind to both Sharon and Cain, wanting to alleviate their abuse and share their experiences, but Charles couldn't end his contact with Cain's mind. Shortly thereafter, Sharon died from a broken heart, and Charles was left to live with his step family. Later on, Kurt and Cain got into a physical fight, causing lab equipment to explode and causing Kurt to be mortally wounded. Despite his injuries, he managed to rescue Charles and Cain before dying, and begged for Charles' forgiveness for not saving his father. In addition, Kurt told Charles to keep his powers a secret from Cain, who was standing over them and heard of Charles' gift, making him believe that his step brother invaded his thoughts deliberately.
As a result, Cain saw Charles as his enemy, and became resentful of Charles' powers, academic and athletic achievements. Though Cain continued to live at the mansion, Cain was deeply embittered towards Charles, and pushed him too far one day, and lost fighting him.
Charles proved himself to be a genius, and attended multiple schools such as Bard College in his teens, and later graduated from Harvard when he was sixteen years old. Wanting to undertake undergraduate studies, Xavier went to Oxford to gain his Ph.D. in genetics and biophysics. During his time in Oxford, Charles met Moira Kinross, and looked through her mind to discover that she lived many lives due to her mutant powers. Seeing that mutantkind will always lose due to humanities prejudice, Charles worked with Moira to guarantee a future for their kind, and fell in love.
One day, Charles was approached by James "Logan" Howlett and Victor Creed, who learned that the United States governments were imprisoning mutants, wanted to create a group to stop them. Charles turned them down, something he would regret years later, and his relationship with Moira was being interfered with by Mister Sinister. After Charles finished his work at Oxford, he planned on marrying Moira, but was drafted into the U.S. military to fight in the Korean War.
Charles was sent to Korea, where he met with Cain once again, as they realized they were serving in the same unit. During the war, Charles attempted to bring Cain back, as he was deserting, but found him discovering a mystical ruby in the Temple of Cyttorak. The ruby made Cain transform into Juggernaut, but the cave he was in exploded, and buried under tons of rock. Charles survived the explosive, and returned to his unit, and also served with and rescued Carmen Pryde, Kitty Pryde's father, and was nicknamed "The Good Shepherd".
Upon returning from the war, Charles learned that Moira broke off their engagement, and married her abusive old boyfriend Joseph MacTaggert. Depressed, Charles decided to travel around the world after inheriting his family's wealth, and managed to make it Cairo, Egypt. There, Charles met Ororo Munroe and battled Amahl Farouk, the Shadow King's host, and defeated him. After defeating the Shadow King, Charles realized that there were dangerous mutants, and decided to bring mankind and mutantkind together in peace, and to protect people from evil mutants. In addition, Charles decided to cease contact with Ororo, as he didn't want to shock her about the true nature of her powers.
Charles next went to Haifa, Israel to help Holocaust victims, and fell in love with Gabrielle Heller, and later met volunteer named Erik Magnus Lehnsherr. The two quickly became friends with Erik, and the two held debates about what would happen if humanity was faced with super powered beings, and Charles wasn't aware hat Erik himself was a mutant. Charles was optimistic and hopeful of helping mutants be part of society, but Erik was cynical, as his experience in the Holocaust led him to be believe humanity would oppress those who were different or were minorities.
When Gabrielle was captured by Baron von Strucker and Hydra to find the location of a secret gold cache, Charles and Erik decided to rescue her, revealing their powers to each other. When Erik attempted to kill Strucker, Charles stopped him, and Erik left when seeing that his view on mutants was against Charles. Charles stayed in Israel, and began a romantic relationship with Gabrielle, and was unaware that she was pregnant with his son when he left.
In a town near the Himalayas, Charles encountered an alien who called himself Lucifer, and stopped his plans of invading Earth. Lucifer retaliated by dropping a stone block on Charles, which crippled his legs, and he cried for help. Sage came to his aid, but Charles' legs were left permanently unusable, and he went into a deep depression. Charles became close to his nurse Amela Vought, and the two fell in love and stayed in Bombay, India. Once day, Amelia found notes for a device called "Cerebro" that could detect mutants, and she fought him on the belief that he was using her. However, Charles used his telepathic powers to speak with her, and she stopped and the decided to work on Charles' dream.
Charles worked with Dr. Karl Lykos and Moira, who was now a renowned geneticist, and the three worked on creating a school for mutants. Also, Charles discussed creating a team called the X-Men, and wanted to recruit candidates for it, mostly people he had passed over such as Ororo Munroe, Kurt Wagner, Piotr Rasputin, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Charles continued to help those with mutant powers, and made a name for himself as a geneticist and psychologist. Now going by Professor Xavier, his first student was Jean Grey, and he later helped help control her telekinetic powers. In addition, Charles also trained Tessa to spy on Sebastian Shaw, and built a machine for Jamie Madrox.
Professor Xavier wanted to create a school for young mutants, and used his old mansion as a base to train and educate them, and met with FBI agent Fred Duncan. Amelia stayed with Charles, partially because she loved him, and to convince him to give up his idea. The two later met with Erik in Auschwitz, Poland, who was now calling himself Magneto, and attempted to plead with him on his actions. Charles attempted to remind Erik that his actions would be no different from the Nazis, but Magneto left when the two reminded each other that they could destroy one another.
Professor Xavier attempted to make Amelia stay with him, but became ashamed of trying so, and let her go. Afterward, Charles assembled his original team of X-Men, Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Bobby Drake, Hank McCoy and Warren Worthington III, who went by the names Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast and Angel. The team faced against the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, and Professor X later went underground to stop the invasion of Z'Nox with Havok and Polaris.
Powers and Abilities
- Telepathy: Able to read minds and project his own thoughts into the minds of others within a radius of 250 miles (on Earth). With extreme effort he can greatly extend that radius. When synced with Cerebro or Cerebra, he can connect to every mind on a planet. After he was thrown into the M'Kraan Crystal, it not only restored his mutation, but made his telepathy more powerful than it has been previously, thereby making him the world's most powerful telepath once again.
- Illusions: Charles can create realistic telepathic illusions and cause people to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Telepathic Cloak: Charles can mask his presence from being detected by others. His abilities can at times go undetected or be counteracted by other more powerful telepaths depending on their level of skill in using their own psi abilities. He can extend these defenses to others around him as well.
- Mind Link: Charles can develop a mental link with any person which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Telepathic Camouflage: Charles can mask himself, and other peoples' presence from those around him. Can telepathically disguise himself, making his appearance to those around him quite different (changing the appearance of clothing, as well as more involved disguising).
- Mind Blast: Charles can place place large amounts of information in another person's mind.
- Mind Control: Charles can control the minds of others upon mere concentration. This power can allow him to completely shut down several people's minds, making it appear as if time has stopped.
- Mind Possession: Charles can possess the mind of another, and use that being's body as his own.
- Mind Alteration: Charles can alter the minds of others by force of will.
- Memory Amnesia: Charles can cause loss of particular memories and amnesia in another person or even in a group of people.
- Mental Shield: Charles can erect a psychic shield for protection of himself and others minds.
- Psionic Blasts: Charles can project psionic force bolts which have no physical effects but which can affect a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain or unconsciousness and can even kill an adversary.
- Astral Projection: Charles can travel and communicate with others astrally through his own will, or through contact with the thoughts and memories of others. In the astral realm, he can use his powers to create "ectoplasmic" objects. He cannot engage in long range astral projection on the earthly plane.
- Mental Projection: Charles can sense the presence of another superhuman mutant within a small but as yet undefined radius of himself by perceiving the distinctive mental radiations emitted by such a being.
- Mind Transferal: Charles can transfer both his mind and powers into other host bodies if his own physical body could be somehow killed.
- Information Absorption: Charles can quickly process and store information, by mental transference.
- Telekinesis: Charles possesses telekinetic abilities enabling him to manipulate matter on a low level with the energy of his thoughts.
- Genius Intellect: A natural genius, Xavier is a leading authority on genetics, mutation, and psionics. He possesses considerable expertise in other life sciences. He is highly talented in devising equipment for utilizing and enhancing psionic powers.
- Master Tactician & Strategist: Xavier is also quite the masterful tactician and strategist, effectively evaluating situations and devising swift responses; he has, on numerous occasions, even fashioned long-term operations as complex as those of adversaries such as Sinister, Magneto, and Apocalypse.
- Military Training: Charles served in the United States Military, secretly employing his abilities to specialize in search and rescue missions.
- Expert Fighter: In his travels in the East, he became a proficient hand-to-hand combatant and gained knowledge of pressure points.
- Body Knowledge: As an extension of his studies of pressure points, Xavier's knowledge of the body and its energies/chakras has gained him the unofficial degree of a seasoned Zen master, allotting him the ability to keep in the prime of his physique. In spite of his age, he has maintained an impressive olympic chassis long since before he founded the X-Men and X-Corp, and has kept himself in perfect condition ever since.
- Phoenix Force: Charles Xavier briefly possessed a fraction of the Phoenix Force during his time with the Starjammers.
|“||Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for.||„|
|~ Professor X|
|“||Violence and destruction always seem to come easyily even to the best of us. But together we find a better way.
|~ Professor X|
|“||She died protecting the lives others. She laid down her life for the dream.||„|
|~ Professor X|
|“||Give up Cyclops? I'll never do that!||„|
|~ Professor X|
|“||You're afraid, I remember.||„|
|~ Xavier in X-Men: Days of Future Past|
|“||Just because someone stumbles and loses their path, doesn't mean they can't be saved.||„|
|~ Professor X|
- Is titled as an Alpha-Level Mutant.
- Although he is a hero in the main X-Men series, he is a villain in the Marvel Noir X-Men series.
Archangel | Anole | Armor | Banshee | Beast | Bishop | Blindfold | Boom-Boom | Cable | Caliban | Callisto | Cannonball | Chamber | Changeling | Charles Xavier | Cypher | Colossus | Cyclops | Darwin | Dazzler | Dust | Elixir | Emma Frost | Fantomex | Firestar | Forge | Gambit | Gentle | Graymalkin | Havok | Hellion | Hepzibah | Husk | Iceman | Ink | Jean Grey | Joseph | Jubilee | Juggernaut | Karma | Lady Mastermind | Lifeguard | Lockheed | Longshot | Maggott | Magma | Magneto | Marrow | Marvel Girl | Mercury | Mimic | Mystique | Namor | Nate Grey | Nightcrawler | Northstar | Omega Sentinel | Petra | Pixie | Polaris | Prodigy | Psylocke | Revanche | Cecilia Reyes | Rockslide | Rogue | Sage | Shadowcat | Skids | Stacy X | Storm | Sunfire | Sunspot | Surge | Sway | Thunderbird | Wolf Cub | Wolverine | Warlock | X-23