|“||We live in an age of darkness: a world full of fear, hate and intolerance. But in every age, there are those who fight against it. Charles Xavier was born into a world divided, a world he tried to heal... a mission he never saw accomplished. It seems it's the destiny of great men to see their goals unfulfilled. Charles was more than a leader, more than a teacher. He was a friend. When we were afraid, he gave us strength. When we were alone, he gave us a family. He may be gone, but his teachings live on through us, his students. Wherever we may go, we must carry on his vision. And that is a vision of a world united.||„|
|~ Storm giving an affectionate eulogy at Xavier's funeral|
|“||Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, it doesn't mean they're lost forever. Sometimes we all need a little help.||„|
|~ Professor X to his younger self in Days of Future Past.|
|“||I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul that comes to my school looking for trouble.||„|
|~ Professor X to Magneto.|
Charles Francis Xavier, alias Professor X, is a highly intelligent telepath, and is the overall deuteragonist of the X-Men film series and the main protagonist of X Men: First Class, the deuteragonist of X Men: Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix, and the tritagonist of the 2017 movie Logan.
He is the leader and creator of the X-Men and founder of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. His dream of a peaceful coexistence between mutants and humanity has long been the driving force for the X-Men. An immensely powerful telepath and scientific genius, Professor X has been known as the heart and soul of the X-Men, having first formed the team of mutants back in 1962.
He is portrayed by Patrick Stewart (who also play Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek and voiced Max Winters in TMNT) as an adult, by Laurence Belcher as a kid and by James McAvoy (who also played Wesley Gibson in Wanted, Arthur Claus in Arthur Christmas, Gnomeo in Gnomeo and Juliet, and Bill Denbrough in It: Chapter Two) as a young adult.
Charles was known for being compassionate and a sympathetic mutant, and built himself a reputation of helping others. He refuses to give up on people, believing that someone is never lost off their path, most notably Magneto, Mystique, and Jean Grey. In addition, Charles was known to be an immaculate mentor, helping mutants control their powers and became a great father figure for everyone, most notably Wolverine.
Despite his hopeful nature, he was not so when Magneto and Mystique abandoned him, and losing his legs after defeating the Hellfire Club, becoming a shell of his former self. He became addicted to McCoy's serum, allowing him to walk again, but taking away his telepathic abilities. He also showed himself to be manipulative sometimes, such as placing psychic blocks in Jean's mind, and his code on using his powers onto Mystique. In Logan, Xavier is shell of his past, being cynical and bitter towards Logan, often swearing when not numbed to his medications. Despite this, his final hope was placed when meeting Laura, and wanted Wolverine to spend his last days to feel love and joy with his daughter.
Professor X was peaceful mutant, believing that humankind and mutants could co-exist with each other, despite Magneto believing that humans would forever hate them. Xavier preferred the diplomatic approach, but knew when to be forceful when needed be, but only did so if it was the last resort. Charles' compassion and mentorship was greatly respected by Magneto, who believed that he did more for mutants than anyone else.
Powers and Abilities
- Telepathy: Professor X is one the most powerful telepaths in the world, having a wide variety of psychic powers that he uses in advantages of his enemies. His powers was so great that Apocalypse desired to posses his body, despite already having great telepathic abilities. Charles' power were further enhanced by Apocalypse, thus making him powerful enough to communicate with everyone without the need of Cerebro.
- Telepathic Communication: He can telepathically communicate with others, doing so with Erik, Moira, and a young Scott Summers. However, he is unable to do so when Magneto wears his helmet, and Emma Frost's diamond form.
- Telepathic Cloak: Charles can make himself invisible by manipulating the mind of others, using this to hide himself and Magneto from Russian soldiers.
- Mental Detection: He is able to sense where nearby mutants are, demonstrating this when detecting that Rogue was at the train station, or that Jean left the mansion. This ability is further enhanced when using Cerebro, where can detect all mutants around the world.
- Mind Control: He can manipulate the mind of others, and make them do things by his command, such as making the Man in Black get into his car. He doesn't like this ability, telling Magneto this when going to Jean's home when she was child in The Last Stand.
- Mental Possession: He is able to possess someone by controlling their mind, notably using this when possessing a Russian guard.
- Mental Sedation: He can make others fall asleep by telling them to.
- Mind Transferal: After his body was destroyed by Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix, he was able to transfer his consciousness into his twin brother Patrick.
- Mental Link: He can develop a mental link with others, doing so by linking the future Wolverine's mind and use it as a bridge into the past.
- Mnemokinesis: Xavier can manipulate the memories of others, being able to restore, erase, or implant false memories of an individual's mind.
- Memory Implantation: Xavier can implant thoughts into a person's mind, threatening Wolverine that he would make him believe that he was six year old girl.
- Mental Amnesia: Xavier can erase a person's memories or cause one to have amnesia, doing so onto Moira (though she did recall fragments, and have her memory restored in X-Men Apocalypse).
- Mental Restoration: Xavier can restore one's memories or bring them back, doing so onto Erik of a happy memories with his mother. He would later restore Moira's memories of her time with him and the mutants.
- Telepathic Illusion: Charles is able to generate illusions, making them feel realistic to an individual. He did so to Mystique, trying to convince her not to kill Bolivar Trask, and could make himself appear to be standing.
- Psychic Barriers: Charles is able to put psychic barriers or blocks into a person's mind, doing so on Jean to hide the Dark Phoenix.
- Psionic Blast: One of his most dangerous powers, Charles can make the entire world feel pain, having done so when plugged into Cerebro in X2 on every mutant, then later every human. When his powers became out of control, he released a psychic pulse that effected people in his radius.
- Psionic Resistance: Xavier can resist psionic abilities or telepathy, as Stryker's mind control wouldn't work on him.
- Animal Manipulation: Xavier can manipulate an animals mind, doing so on the Munson's horses to calm them down.
- Genius Level Intellect: Xavier is a highly intelligent genius, being head of the authority of psionics, genetics, and mutations. He graduated from Oxford at a young age, getting an PhD in genetics, and writing his thesis at the age of 30. In addition, he was had expertise in other life sciences, showing himself to be brilliant mastermind.
- Multilingualism: Xavier showed himself to be able to speak multiple languages, such as Russian, Spanish, and others when giving his speech to the world from native countries. This could be of his psychic abilities, translating different languages so that he could understand them.
- Leadership: Xavier showed himself to be excelled leader, being able to lead X-Division when all hope was lost upon the Hellfire Club's attack. He would later create the X-Men, being the off-field leader for missions to stop the Brotherhood of Mutants.
- In X-Men: First Class, Beast asks Xavier if he can shave him, in order to better use the Cerebro, but Xavier replies "Don't touch my hair.", thus making a joke about his elder appearance. He does it again at the end of the movie, complaining about getting old and saying to Moira MacTaggert that he'll soon become bald.
- In X-Men, Professor X told Wolverine that he met Magneto when he was 17. However, in X-Men: First Class, he meets him at the age of 30.
- Professor X is referenced to in Deadpool when Colossus attempts to bring Wade Wilson to see him in order to join the X-Men. Wade asks whether it is Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy playing him.