Charmander (ヒトカゲ Hitokage) is a Fire-type Pokémon. It evolves into a Charmeleon starting at level 16. It is one of the three Starter Pokémon that can be chosen in the Kanto region.
Charmander is a small, bipedal, dinosaur-like Pokémon. Most of its body is colored orange, while its underbelly is a pale light-yellow color. Charmander, like its evolved forms, has a flame that constantly burns on the end of its tail. However, If the flame on Charmander's tail goes out, Charmander's life will come to an end.
Charmander is easily the most mild-mannered and well-behaved of its evolution line. Its feelings and emotions can be read by the flame on the tip of its tail. It flares up in a fury when Charmander is angry. The flame will flicker and grow small and dim If Charmander is sick or hurt. If it growls that means it's angry or is about to attack.
Charmander doesn't do well with impatient people. It doesn't appreciate being rushed, and most of the time, will not allow it. It is a sweet Pokémon, but is feisty nonetheless. Charmander doesn't enjoy accepting favors, because it feels it owes something in return. It is extremely loyal to its loved ones, and knows a good thing when it sees it. It will treat those in its life accordingly.
Charmander is rarely found in the wild since it's a Starter Pokémon. Sometimes they gather in extremely hot areas such as active volcanoes or in craggy mountains and in caves along the coast of the Sevii Islands.
- Red and Blue - Obviously prefers hot places. When it rains, steam is said to spout from the tip of its tail.
- Yellow - The flame at the tip of its tail makes a sound as it burns. You can only hear it in quiet places.
- Gold - The flame on its tail shows the strength of its life force. If it is weak, the flame also burns weakly.
- Silver - The flame on its tail indicates Charmander's life force. If it is healthy, the flame burns brightly.
- Crystal - If it's healthy, the flame on the tip of its tail will burn vigorously, even if it gets a bit wet.
- Ruby and Sapphire - The flame that burns at the tip of its tail is an indication of its emotions. The flame wavers when Charmander is enjoying itself. If the Pokémon becomes enraged, the flame burns fiercely.
- FireRed/Y/Shield - From the time it is born, a flame burns at the tip of its tail. Its life would end if the flame were to go out.
- LeafGreen/Sword - It has a preference for hot things. When it rains, steam is said to spout from the tip of its tail.
- Emerald - The flame that burns at the tip of its tail is an indication of its emotions. The flame wavers when Charmander is happy, and blazes when it is enraged.
- Diamond, Pearl and Platinum/Black and White/Black 2 and White 2 - The fire on the tip of its tail is a measure of its life. If healthy, its tail burns intensely.
- HeartGold - The flame on its tail shows the strength of its life force. If it is weak, the flame also burns weakly.
- SoulSilver/X - The flame on its tail indicates Charmander's life force. If it is healthy, the flame burns brightly.
- Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - The flame that burns at the tip of its tail is an indication of its emotions. The flame wavers when Charmander is enjoying itself. If the Pokémon becomes enraged, the flame burns fiercely.
- Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee - The flame at the tip of its tail makes a sound as it burns. You can only hear it in quiet places.
What is Charmander based on?
Charmander appears to be predominantly reptilian in origin, and may have been partially inspired by the mythical salamander (as opposed to the real-world amphibian of the same name which inspired its mythical counterpart). This salamander was a fire-spirit capable of surviving in extreme heat or flames, and it is sometimes creatively rendered or interpreted in the shape of a lizard.
Physically, Charmander has a slender body, a short nose, and a long tail, as well as other lizard-like characteristics. The fact that it does not undergo a metamorphosis stage (beyond its own evolutionary pattern) but instead grows into a larger version of itself as it matures indicates, among other things, that Charmander has more in common with reptiles (such as lizards) than with amphibians (such as real-world salamanders).
- Charmander is the tallest out of the fire-type Starter Pokémon.
- Charmander is one of the 16 Pokémon to be made into a puppet in Japan.
- Charmander is one of the collectable spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- According to many Pokédex entries, if the fire on Charmander's tail goes out, it will die.
- According to Ash's Pokédex (known as 'Dexter'), Charmander is known as the Salamander Pokémon.
- In the official Butterfree vs Charmander artwork which only appeared in the Japan-exclusive Jumbo Carddass card set, Charmander had spikes on its back, which was a detail that has gotten permanently removed since Generation II.