Clockwork is a violet cloaked ghost with a pale face and time staff, which he uses often. He was voiced by the late Golden Globe-nominated actor David Carradine of Kill Bill.
The ghost of time, Clockwork keeps the flow of time and takes action when he feels something is hindering said flow. He is mysterious and powerful, knowing every aspect of time: past, present, and future. He remains a neutral influence in Danny's life-changing journey, playing only by his rules. He doesn't perceive time as a linear sequence of events; this is reflected in his appearance, which constantly fluctuates in age.
As the manipulator of time, Clockwork is a logical ghost who speaks calmly, even under dire stress and situations surrounding him. Being the Master of Time, Clockwork takes a rather neutral role overall to the Danny Phantom world though at times, Danny sees him as more of an ally. One questions what his true motives are or what he plans to do due to his unpredictable nature; yet in the end, Clockwork merely means well in his goals and makes sure time flows in a direction that benefits all.
As a ghost Clockwork has the standard ghost powers flight, invisibility, and intangibility. Clockwork is the master of all time and has the ability to do pretty much whatever he wants with it. Likewise, he knows everything, making him an Omniscience. Due to his ability to manipulate Time, he is capable of creating time portals, teleporting through space and time achieving time travel with brining others with him, temporal duplicates, and is immortal. Though Clockwork is constantly switching between his child, adult and old form, he is not aging, meaning that he has some immortality. It is unknown if he can be injured or wounded to dead. He must have been overlooking time since the origin of the universe, meaning he will still do it until the end of time. Despite this, he rarely intervenes and is a fairly neutral character, though he's willing to intervene if the situation is dire enough.
If he has any weakness, it's that his power has no effect on someone who wears one of his medallions Like Tucker, Sam and Danny. Although, considering he watches and manipulates time, anything and everything that has, is, and will occur is already known to him, so even getting possession of his medallions may already be anticipated. As he already stated, "I know everything." However, he also states he knows all possible timelines, but that Danny chose the present one of his own free will, implying that while he has knowledge of everything, he can't predict the exact way time may go.
- Clockwork is the only mega-powerful ghost who is not an enemy with Danny.
- Clockwork is similar to a Ben 10 Ultimate Alien character, Professor Paradox, since both travel through time and help the main character, although Clockwork was created long before Professor Paradox.
- Clockwork is also similar to Chronos from the Justice League comics.
- His name, Clockwork, is also a term for the inner workings of a mechanical clock.
- His name might be a reference to the 1971 book-based movie, A Clockwork Orange.
- His design, especially in his old self, haves a big resemblance to the common figure of time, the old man in a long hood with long beard and a staff/scythe. Also, the figure of father time or the grim ripper can be seen in his headquarter as part of the clock's bell (the mechanism that hit the clock).
- Been said as "master of time", it might mean he is the oldest ghost in existence, as time is the primordial concept or law of physics.
- He is one of the few ghosts who never seems to display legs or feet of any sort, but keep hovering with the typical ghostly tail.
- Clockwork also appears in the comic Grim Tales From Down Below where he makes a deal with Dan (Dark Danny) to be set free as long as he helps with a task. In the comic it is mentioned that Grim and Clockwork had been working together since the beginning of existence.