This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||I don't know what will happen in the future, but if something dangerous comes along, I don't want to be a burden, I want to help! I want to be there for Steven, to fight by his side! The Earth is my home too, can't I help protect it?||„|
|~ Connie to Pearl in "Sworn to the Sword"|
|“||YES, IT IS! Yes, you hurt him, but this isn't the time to make this all about YOU! That is NOT helping! Maybe Steven would care how sad you are because he always puts everyone else's feelings first. But he can't do that for you right now, because... he needs US this time. We all had Steven when we needed him, but the only person who's never had Steven is Steven. He's always been there for us, so... (sigh) how can we be there for him now?||„|
|~ Connie to everyone about Steven in "I Am My Monster"|
|“||You gotta tell them!||„|
|~ Connie Maheswaran in "The Future".|
Connie Maheswaran is one of the tetartagonists of the show Steven Universe. Steven becomes her first friend and appears to have a crush on her. They are currently dating, although they do nearly kiss in "An Indirect Kiss". She is also taking sword fighting lessons as of the events of "Sworn to the Sword". As of "Rocknaldo", she is officially a member of the Crystal Gems. As of "The Future" episode of Steven Universe Future, they finally become boyfriend and girlfriend.
Connie is a young Indian-American girl of dark brown skin and slim figure, slightly taller than Steven. She has a prominent nose, black eyes with thick eyebrows, and black puffy hair. From her debut to "Dewey Wins", Connie's hair was waist-length. At some point following her fallout with Steven in the aforementioned episode and prior to their reconciliation in "Kevin Party", she cut or had someone cut her hair down to a chin-length bob and add bangs. Following the two-year time-skip between "Change Your Mind" and "Steven Universe: The Movie", her hair has since regrown to shoulder-length while retaining her bangs.
Connie wore a pair of magenta glasses with rose-colored lenses until Steven's healing saliva fixed her eyesight in "An Indirect Kiss". She continued to wear the empty frames until the events of "Nightmare Hospital", she no longer carrying them afterward.
Connie is usually seen in a variety of different outfits and dresses, including light blue, green, and white clothing: In the first intro, she wears a white-mint green dress, a sunhat, and peach-colored boots with no socks. In the second intro, she wears a white, button-down, collared tank top, gray button-up shorts, her pink glow bracelet, and peach sneakers with white bottoms, laces, and socks. Since "Kevin Party", Connie has started wearing a more stylish and slightly mature style of dress.
During training, Connie often wears a purple fighting outfit with a red bandana around her waist. She is barefoot and her arms are covered of white gauze. On missions involving outer space travels, Connie usually wears her father's pale brown jacket, which has fur inside and a patch on the left sleeve. In "The New Crystal Gems", Connie temporarily wears Steven's outfit of a star shirt and blue jeans.
Connie is a curious girl who is attentive to detail, preparing herself for future events such as the upcoming school year or a mission in the wilderness, but can get distracted if she finds something more interesting like reading Buddy Buddwick's journal or spending time with friendly company. Her hobbies include reading, violin playing, and formerly tennis playing. Connie is usually level-headed but sensible, convincing Steven about his obsession to certain topics and let them go such in "Beach City Drift", but she feels guilty to the point of notably changing her behavior, including hitting an innocent student in "Mindful Education". Learning that some things are natural, Connie decides to confront her emotions by making amends, clearing her mind and understanding not to let her emotions cloud her thoughts by keeping them in. She passes this knowledge onto Steven, assuring him he had to be honest about how bad his feelings were so he could move on.
Connie has grown used to the strange dynamic of her friendship with Steven despite her initial uncertainty of it, reacting passively awed and only comments that she loves hanging out at his place when the Gems destroy one of Peridot's robonoids in front of her in "Marble Madness". She also can be a bit deadpan at times, joking about cutting off Steven's hand and in that same instance quickly understands that by poking/tickling Steven she could provoke a reaction from Rose's Secret Armory in "Lion 2: The Movie". "The New Crystal Gems" demonstrates Connie's eagerness to leap into action and adventure, asking Steven to wait for her so she can go into space with him, though this fails as he and the Gems had to leave immediately or risk losing track of Blue Diamond and his father forever. "Dewey Wins" displays an emotionally vulnerable side and a sense of integrity for Connie, who, while genuinely happy to have Steven back safely, is also deeply hurt by his choice to give himself up to Homeworld, leaving her and everyone else worried over his fate while also breaking his promise to her that they would always be a team. She becomes upset when he tries to downplay the situation and disregards her feelings (possibly to avoid facing his own and the harsh reality of the situation for the time being) and decided to take some time away from him so the two could process their respective feelings about the incident alone, remaining silent towards him for several weeks until they eventually reconciled in "Kevin Party".
Originally shy and introverted, Connie rarely stays in one place for long due to her parents' lifestyle and thus has been unable to form lasting friendships, which left her frequently feeling lonely. Her parents are very strict and don't allow her to participate in common childhood activities, such as eating donuts or anything with trans fats and organize her daily activities. By this time, tennis was the only thing that she remotely enjoys in her life. This attitude has led her to flat-out lie about Steven's non-nuclear family, due to paranoia at how her parents may react. Despite her obedience to her parents, she isn't above exploiting loopholes, such as not buying snacks at a theater and instead bringing them from Steven's home. She also will eat what sweets when they aren't present in "Crack the Whip". Connie's friendship with Steven eventually gives her more confidence, eventually standing up to her mother about her strict upbringing and rules in "Nightmare Hospital", even revealing her involvement in magical affairs. She isn't afraid to barge into the Beach House while shouting "Surprise!" and have around Beach City with Amethyst and Steven, showing how comfortable she has gotten around the Gems. "Kevin Party" shows nearly full-circle just how far Connie has grown as a person, laughing and talking with other party guests, something she would never have been able to do at the beginning of the series. Her more carefree attitude and comfort towards Steven when he feels he had made everyone miserable by abiding by Homeworld's conformities and traditions to impress White Diamond in "Together Alone" caused her to convince him to dance much to his reservation, an inverse of their usual personalities and actions in the episode "Alone Together", which leads to them accidentally fusing into Stevonnie and unintentionally causing an uproar that winds up ruining the ball. This continues in "Escapism" when she consoles a despondent Steven over their consequent imprisonment and the Crystal Gems' poofing and inadvertently inspires him to use his psychic abilities to call for help on Earth.
"New Crystal Gems" shows Connie's leadership skills when she told Peridot and Lapis to be themselves and organized their efforts to fix the damage they did. "Reunited" she has grown as both a fighter and an emotional supporter, leaping into action and tries to attack Blue Diamond with Lion to free them when Steven and the rest of the Crystal Gems are incapacitated by Blue Diamond's pathokinesis attack, only continuing to fight alongside them even her sword was broken. "Change Your Mind" brings out virtually all aspects of her personality, as she helps Steven convince Blue and Yellow to ease up on their stifling rules and traditions so they would try to convince White Diamond to do the same.
"Sworn to the Sword" shows a more confident and aggressive side to Connie's personality when she learns sword fighting. Due to Pearl's negative reinforcement, she began to display a reckless side, but this was quickly put out by Steven. It highlights her strong feelings for beloved ones through her dedication to becoming a knight for Steven. "Gem Hunt]" continues to shown her confidence and dedication to the Crystal Gems in how she pushes her to split up to hunt the Gem monsters and is the one to lead when she and Steven hunt the second monster through the forest, while respecting and obeying Pearl. Despite all her training and preparedness, Connie froze during an encounter with one of the Gem monsters they are hunting, choosing to call Pearl via Steven's walkie-talkie in the end. She later confides in Steven and Amethyst about freezing during her first mission in the next episode, causing Amethyst to tell her she should stop overthinking things and follow her instincts in battle, just adapting to win. She takes Amethyst's words to heart as she fares far better when the two of them along with Steven and Lion encounter Jasper and her two Gem monsters, bravely confronting her and prevent her from shattering Amethyst as Stevonnie. After Amethyst regenerates, she tells her she was right about how she should follow her instincts.
- According to writer Matt Burnett, Connie is of Indian heritage.
- Both of Connie's parents are Indian-American.
- Connie's surname, Maheswaran, means "Lord of Universe" in Hindi and is also traditionally a Tamil surname. 
- Connie is directly referred to as Steven's girlfriend in commercials in Portugal as well as numerous other European countries.
- Kat Morris created Connie's character.
- It is revealed in "Mirror Gem" that Connie plays the violin.
- Connie appears in the title sequence as the "Mr. Universe" van drives by, causing a breeze that she looks towards. She holds the book A Wrinkle in Time and is wearing a sky blue sundress, a pale tan sunhat and orange boots.
- In the second intro, she is shown wearing shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt instead of a sun dress during the first season, wielding Rose's Sword and holding an unknown book with a bookmark inside. Instead of a breeze, she looks towards the end of the road with a smile and pops out of the street and runs to the Crystal Temple. She is shown wearing the frames of her glasses until she reaches the Crystal Temple and lies in front of Rose's Sword.
- She is able to write backward. This is seen in the very short amount of time it took her to write "Harpoon Gun" on the inside of the bubble in "Bubble Buddies".
- Connie is shown to play tennis in "Lion 2: The Movie", and describes it as the only thing that she remotely enjoys in her life. Later, in "Sworn to the Sword", she translates her tennis prowess into swordfighting, which becomes her new passion.
- Following the events of "An Indirect Kiss", Connie can now see normally without her glasses thanks to the healing powers in Steven's saliva. Because she wanted to avoid confrontation with her parents and optometrist about this, she took out the lenses of her glasses and wore the frames instead.
- Following the events of "Nightmare Hospital", she no longer wears glasses, having informed her mother that she no longer requires them. In all of the further episodes, she no longer carries them.
- In "Winter Forecast", Connie says "itadakimasu", a Japanese word said before eating. She has stated that her father travels, so Connie may know more than one language.
- In "Sworn to the Sword", Connie's outfit and fighting style were inspired by Kalaripayattu.
- She wields a sword resembling the Khanda, a sword typically used in the style.
- Her hairstyle is a braid typically worn by female Kalaripayattu practitioners.
- Connie is shown to be ambidextrous in the episode "Sworn to the Sword". When she is training, she is seen holding her sword with her right hand; when she fights Pearl with Steven, she is using her left hand.
- Despite saying her family moves around a lot, she has kept the same home for well over a year.
- In "Nightmare Hospital", it is revealed that she hates the punishment abacus, which is what her parents use to calculate the length of punishments for her.
- It is revealed in "Steven's Birthday" that Connie is 12¾ years old.
- A girl resembling Connie makes a brief appearance in the OVA titled Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade.
- In "Gem Hunt", Connie carries Rose's sword on her back with the hilt over her shoulder. This is similar to many anime characters who carry giant swords the same way such as Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach and Guts from Berserk.
- It is shown that Connie and Pearl have many traits in common such as intelligence, attention to detail and a tendency to be overly hard on themselves in the face of perceived failure.
- Connie might be a gamer, as seen in the short "Video Chat". Her laptop has Colonization V, a spoof of the real-life video game Civilization V. She also has Empires & Eras II and Conqueror Kings II which are spoofs of Age of Empires II and Crusader Kings II, respectively. She also has Grid, a spoof of the popular gaming platform Steam.
- According to the 4th issue of the comic series, Connie has an aunt.
- Connie's new hairstyle that she dons ever since "Kevin Party" and up to "The Future" makes her resemble Kimberly Hart from the 2017 Power Rangers movie.