|“||They say if you want to glimpse the future, just look behind you. I used to think that was bollocks. Now I realize... you can't outrun the past.||„|
|~ Deckard Shaw|
Deckard Shaw is a recurring character in the Fast & Furious franchise.
He is the overarching antagonist in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift and Fast & Furious 6, the main antagonist of the 2015 global action blockbuster hit, Furious 7, the anti-heroic tritagonist of The Fate of the Furious, and one of the two titular main protagonists (alongside Luke Hobbs) of Hobbs and Shaw.
Deckard is a former British Special forces soldier and MI6 agent turn mercenary, as well as the older brother of Owen and Hattie Shaw. He was also a former partner and brother in arms of Brixton Lore, a former MI6 agent turned super soldier for Eteon.
He is portrayed by Jason Statham, who also plays Frank Martin in the Transporter trilogy, Chev Chelios in the Crank duology, Lee Christmas in The Expendables series, an unnamed airport man in Collateral, Frankenstein/Jensen Ames in the Death Race series, and Jonas Taylor in The Meg.
|“||No one tells me what to do.||„|
|~ Deckard to Hobbs|
Like his younger brother Owen, Deckard could be a dirty fighter, as shown in his first fight with Dominic, where he was willing to shoot him, but when he does fight straightly, he does not seem to employ such means, as displayed when he fought Hobbs and Dominic, where he used solely his fighting skills to challenge them without employing any unfair methods, if not discounting the fact that he did use a knife on Hobbs and throw an explosive at Elena to end the fight. He takes pride in harming or killing others. He will not hide his involvement in the death of others if it means making a point and baiting others out into the open. However, he is able to let his grudges go, such as when he begins working with Toretto's crew, and saves Toretto's son and settles his issues with Toretto afterwards, and is even present at their dinner table.
Deckard had a quick, dry wit, which put him at odds on several occasions with Luke Hobbs.
|“||Captain Deckard Shaw. Distinguished himself by acts of gallantry at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. His bold actions saved the lives of hostages and his teammates. Recommendation: the Victoria Cross. The highest honor the British government has ever given... to a traitor.||„|
|~ Hobbs reading Deckard's file|
According to a letter from Windsor Castle, Deckard distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his own life above and beyond the call of duty while on assignment in Baghdad with the A Squadron's Mobility Troop of the 22nd SAS Regiment. His bold and decisive actions under fire saved the lives of hostages and several of his teammates. He was nominated for the Victoria Cross, the highest award for valor in the face of the enemy.
CIA Agent Victor Locke has described Deckard as an operative at "the top of his game," and the anonymous director of Eteon referred to him as "formidable." After defeating Brixton with Hobbs, the director stated that he outperformed his analytics.
- Peak Human Condition: Deckard is a man who remains in strict level of training regimen and healthy dieting. His physical conditioning has proven to be extremely great and at levels where not only could he easily dispatch multiple enemies, but he has even matched the likes of Dominic Toretto and Luke Hobbs in battle.
- Peak Human Strength: Although not his prominent trait, Deckard is still considerably strong. While not on par with Hobbs or Dominic in strength, he is still strong enough to tackle Hobbs through a glass wall and hit with enough force to disorient and launch him through the glass, along with being able to knock around Dominic with his blows when they fought, and could easily overpower lesser enemies to launch them off the air or nonchalantly restrain them with one hand and send them flying with his kicks.
- Peak Human Durability: Deckard's great endurance allowed him to fight on par with Hobbs withstanding his strikes with only minor injuries and recover from being slammed into a table fast enough to then disorient him by hitting him with a strip light. He also displayed similar endurance in his fight with Dominic recovering from being thrown on top of a car in seconds, proceeding to out-brawl Dominic and kick him to the floor. He survived a head-on collision with Dominic in an underground tunnel with a Maserati (with reinforced chassis) which causes the vehicles of both drivers to be damaged. He survives another head-on collision on the rooftop of a parking garage with an Aston Martin and recovered quickly enough to face Dominic in hand-to-hand combat shortly after. He was also unfazed by the collision of his car with Han's. Deckard also withstood four intense electrical shocks when Brixton tortured him and Hobbs.
- Peak Human Speed: Deckard's speed is such that it makes it very hard for his enemies to keep up with him. While his strength isn't so great, his speed allows him to compete against Dominic and Hobbs in battle, with Dominic being unable to truly defeat him while Hobbs had considerable difficulty outclassing him in hand-to-hand combat eventually. When dealing with multiple opponents, he can block strikes and counter them faster than they could react. This is best seen when he is dealing with Ukraine guards. According to Brixton Lore's ocular analysis, Deckard can punch at the speed of 19.402 meters per second (43.4 miles per hour/69.85 kilometres per hour), making his punching speed 28.49% faster than Hobbs'. Deckard also swiftly put the pin back in a grenade in his sister's apartment before it went off.
- Peak Human Reflexes: Deckard possesses tremendous reflexes. He is even able to react to multiple gunshots, as he did when he was about to kill Dominic, only to be interrupted by guards. His reflexes made him a match for Hobbs and Dominic's strength, with him being able to block the majority of their blows and strike them multiple times, ultimately stalemating Dominic and only being defeated by Hobbs with great difficulty. His great reflexes allow him to fight with multiple enemies (moreover very skilled) at once.
|“||War is what I do.||„|
|~ Deckard to Hobbs|
- Expert Martial Artist: Indicated by his Special Forces background, Deckard is an extremely skilled fighter and martial artist, being able to contend with much stronger opponents and groups of other grown men and his fighting style appears to consist of Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Wing Chun kung fu, karate and kickboxing. Deckard’s weapons training from his SBS and SAS background and skilled with melee weapons while remaining his training making him a formidable opponent. He can effortlessly take on multiple opponents, armed or otherwise and often come out of the fight as the victor. Deckard's skills in battle even allowed him to compete against both Dominic Toretto and even Luke Hobbs, with him having been able to fight Dominic to a standstill and only being defeated with considerable effort from Hobbs. He even displayed superior skill with wrenches in melee combat, forcing Dominic to use his strength to throw him on top of a car. Aside from combat weapons, Deckard can use anything in his surroundings as a weapon to fight.
- Master Marksman: As a former soldier, Deckard is highly skilled in the use of firearms, including pistols, sub-machine guns, shotguns, assault and sniper rifles. He shot Brixton Lore twice in the chest and once in the head, as he was trained to do.
- Explosives Expertise: Deckard is also adept with explosives. He entered the Royal Defence Medical Centre in London and created a sustainable amount of damage with explosives used to take out several police officers and hospital personnel. When fighting Hobbs, he used a military-grade explosive to destroy the upper levels of the DSS Los Angeles headquarters. He was also able to mail a packaged bomb from Tokyo to Los Angeles that destroyed the Toretto house.
- Expert Driver: Deckard is a highly skilled driver and extremely proficient at driving a variety of vehicles. His skills are nearly on par with Dominic and like him, he is skilled in cornering and drifting. He also managed to perfectly time crashing his car into Han's to cause his death. In the Caucasus Mountains near Azerbaijan, he pursued and attacked Dominic with a Fast Attack Vehicle and attempted to push his car off a cliff by ramming him repeatedly until Roman arrived and helped Dominic knock Deckard's vehicle down a hill.
- Bilingualism: Deckard is capable of speaking English and Russian.
|“||Dominic Toretto, you don't know me, but you're about to.||„|
|~ Deckard's most famous line - calling Dom after killing Han.|
|“||You thought this was gonna be a street fight?||„|
|~ Deckard saying to Dom if he thinks their first fight will be a street fight, he will win.|
|“||They say if you want to glimpse the future, just look behind you. I used to think that was bollocks. But now I realize you can't outrun the past. When we were kids, you'd start fights with the toughest bastards in the yard. But I was the one who had to step in and finish them. You'd steal from the corner shop, but it was me who'd brave the old man's belt. I'd hope you'd outgrown it. That playing the gangster made you harder, smarter, better. But deep down, I guess I always knew you'd end up like this, despite everything I did teach you. Still, you're my flesh and blood. So you remain my cross to bear. Rest now, little brother, while I settle your one last score.||„|
|~ Deckard's speech to Owen.|
|“||I'm here for the team that crippled my brother.||„|
|~ Deckard explains why he wants to kill Toretto and his crew after he broke into the DSS Los Angeles office|
|“||Let’s get one thing clear. I ain’t on your team. I don’t care about you, your crew, or your little family. I’m here for Cipher.||„|
|~ Deckard explains the situation to Letty and Dom’s crew|
- Firstly, when the casting ended, Universal Pictures had published that Statham's role of the main antagonist will be Ian Shaw, but it was officially changed to Deckard Shaw.
- Jason Statham's appearance at the end of Fast & Furious 6 makes him the key antagonist, although his appearance is an non-credited cameo.
- Deckard being the driver of the Mercedes and responsible for Han's death in Tokyo Drift is a minor retcon. Close inspection in Tokyo Drift sees passersby tending to the driver of the vehicle (although the driver isn't seen), but in Fast & Furious 6 he exits the vehicle and walks away.
- Deckard Shaw is the first villain in The Fast and the Furious franchise to have a chance of redemption while other villains from the franchise did not have a chance of redemption (his brother also redeemed but with anti-hero qualities now).