Denki Kaminari, professionally known as the Stun Gun Hero: Chargebolt or simply Chargebolt, is a major supporting character in the 2014 Japanese superhero manga series My Hero Academia and its 2016 anime television series adaptation of the same name. He also appears as a major supporting character in the franchise's two films: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes and My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising.
Denki was a Japanese student who, like many others his age, aspired to become a professional hero one day. His quirk, called Electrification, allowed him to generate electricity and manipulate it to a certain extent, although he still had a long way to go before mastering it. At the age of fifteen, Kaminari earned admittance into the hero course of U.A. High School, a program dedicated to cultivating new heroes. He was sorted into Class 1-A, a class of twenty students with like-minded ambitions and lofty potential.
Due in part to his relatively dim-witted mind and easy-going personality, Denki was known as a class clown of sorts who got along with everybody. Alongside fellow classmate Minoru Mineta as his partner-in-crime, Kaminari would occasionally get into trouble due to concocting perverted schemes involving the girls in his class. However, despite his apparent lack of intelligence and slightly perverted side, Denki would often prove himself to have a sharp strategic mind and a kind heart during times of crisis.
Kaminari is voiced by Tasuku Hatanaka in the Japanese version of the anime and by Kyle Phillips in the English version. The former has also voiced Yuma Tsukumo in Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL and the latter has also voiced Genshiro Saji in High School DxD and Marco in One Piece.
Denki is a young man with short, blonde hair that has a black lightning symbol on the left side of his fringe. He has slanted, yellow eyes and is rather slimmer than most of his other male classmates.
His hero costume consists of a short, black opened fleece with white lightning symbols and matching pants with a utility belt. He has a white shirt underneath and a blue visor that he wears on his eyes. He also wears a disc-shaped pointer Support Item that allows him to aim with his Quirk.
Denki is a social and energetic young lad with a casual disposition. He enjoys interacting and hanging out with his friends, although his comments can also be on the more blunt and cynical side. Despite this, he's always friendly and well-meaning towards others.
Academically, Denki isn't the smartest in Class 1-A, and often requires help due to his general neglect of school studies. He was visibly stressed over his poor performance in the midterm exams, although was able to overcome and pass the upcoming written exam by attending Momo Yaoyorozu's study session.
Denki also shows to be rather flirtatious, his interest in women often aligning with Minoru Mineta's shenanigans. Because of this, the two get along really well, although Denki is rather tame in comparison to Mineta's lecherous nature. He tries to flirt and ask out other girls on separate occasions, although his advances often don't see through.
When exceeding the wattage of his Quirk, Denki's personality is rendered to that of a smiling, bubbling idiot, quite often sporting a nosebleed. In this state, he's always showing a thumbs-up to show that he's alright.
Powers & Abilities
- Electrification: Denki's Quirk Electrification allows him to discharge electricity and emit it out of his body in powerful blasts. This Quirk serves well in both offence and defence, as the electricity shocks anyone it comes into contact with. While he can't outright control the electricity, he can fine-tune his direction and, with the help of his Sharpshooting Gear, can aim electrical shots with it. His Quirk also allows him to act as a lightning rod and absorb electric attacks.
If exceeding his wattage, Denki's brain effectively short-circuits and he is rendered completely dumb for a one-hour period, unable to activate his Quirk or do anything until he recovers.
- The lightning streak on Denki's hair is apparently natural.
- One of Denki's goals, in regards to strengthening his Quirk, is to manifest a blade of electricity.
- Denki shares several similarities with Zenitsu Agatsuma from Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba:
- Both heroes have yellow hair and have electricity-themed clothing.
- Both are currently sixteen years old in their respective stories.
- Both heroes are prone to cowardice although Zenitsu is much more prominent in this regard.
- Both are Casanova wannabes who frequently display perverted qualities.
- Both seemingly have large amounts of untapped potential.
- Both have electricity-themed powers (Zenitsu's are only visual).