|“||I used to look up at space, with hope and wonder in my eyes. Until space... looked back. Invader Zim: evil alien soldier of the Irken Empire. Sent by his diabolical masters, the Almighty Tallest, to infiltrate Earth and prepare it for the coming invasion. Disguised as one of us, he moved into my neighborhood. He went to my school. And with the help of his vile mechanical servants, plotted to destroy everything we have. Everything we are. And then... he vanished. My name is Dib Membrane. I'm twelve years old, and I'm all that stands between Zim... and the annihilation of our world!||„|
|~ Dib Membrane in Enter the Florpus.|
Dibert "Dib" Membrane (known as Fred in the French version) is the anti-heroic main antagonist of Invader Zim, and the main protagonist of Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus. Dib is a young, eccentric boy who possesses a fascination with unexplained paranormal phenomena, such as ghost hunting, Ufology, and cryptology, as well as with the supernatural and occult.
He intercepted the words spoken at the Great Assigning on planet Conventia in the first episode with his laptop. Six months later, he noticed a strange, green foreign exchange student enter his classroom. Dib tried his best to convince the world that it is in danger, but nobody believed him, due to previous erroneous claims of supernatural beings. Since then, he has made it his mission to protect his oblivious home from Zim's schemes against all odds.
He is voiced by Andy Berman.
Dib is a 12 year old boy who resembles his father, Professor Membrane. Both have black hair. He wears a black trench coat, a blue shirt with a logo of a grey face and glasses. In Dib's Wonderful Life of Doom, Dib's got more jagged and bigger with age. Many people claim that Dib's head is big, a running gag in the show; but it's not visibly bigger. The redesign process God Save the Dib, however, actually gave him a bigger head.
As being sepreated by his peers, Dib spends seeking out the paranormal, with his exceptional intelligence and determination. He considers himself Earth's sole defender against Zim's evil plans to enslave humanity and knows that Zim is completely an alien from the Irken Empire. When Zim came to Earth, disguised as a normal boy, Dib was initially shown to be more antagonistic, obsessed, and desperate, making it his one and only primary goal to expose Zim as an alien by any means necessary. Every time Dib tries to reveal Zim's alien apperance to his peers it becomes a waste of his oblivious and they would think he's insane or crazy. After that, Dib would lose his obsessive, desperate edge and become a more humorous and depressive. Dib's hatred of Zim is completely real as Zim would take every opportunity to make his existence even more miserable than it is even when unprovoked, making Dib's efforts to beat Zim all the more personal than ever.
Role In The Series
While he is technically the show's hero, he has shown to be a very antagonistic character, often doing mean things to other characters to reach his own personal goals (the most notable being that he once gave his own little sister a curse that made everything she ate taste like pork so he could see what it did to humans) as well as doing crazy and often life threatening things just to stop Zim. He is also almost always stalking him. He has a sister named Gaz.
- Despite being archenemies, Dib has temporarily allied with Zim numerous times through out the show. Most notable times are in Hamstergeddon and Tak: The Hideous New Girl.
- While Zim and Dib hate each other, they actually need each other. It is revealed in the cancelled episode, Mopiness of Doom, without Dib, Zim would lose interest in his mission and without Zim, Dib cannot prove to the world that Zim is an alien.
- Dib is Jhonen Vasquez's favorite character in the show.
- Dib was a member of the Evil Syndicate (the main antagonists of Nicktoons: Unite, & Glob of Doom). This was only because Zim joined the heroes' team, as Zim is the protagonist of his show, though not its hero. If anyone, Dib should be on heroes' side, even though he is an antagonist (but in truth, he wasn't much a villain).
- On top of that, Dib was left floating in space at the end, even though he wasn't seen conspiring with the rest of the Syndicate.
- In the French version he is renamed Fred.
- It has been speculated by YouTuber MatPat from Film Theory on a video claiming that Dib could actually be an Irken much like his arch-enemy Zim due to:
- The similar head proportion.
- His father constantly denying the idea of aliens existing, despite being exposed to overwhelming amounts of alien life and technology.
- Membrane also bears some resemblance to the Irkens; he is never shown to have a nose or ears, his face is concealed by his coat at all times, and his personal technology is purple and red and consists of many pipes.
- As well as Dib using the same computer operating system as Irken technology.
- Jhonen Vasquez has even talked about giving out some character depth talking about Dib's father Professor Membrane, and how Dib was a clone meant to shift Professor Membrane's bad luck away from him.
The Loud House
Oh Yeah! Cartoons
The Fairly OddParents
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
The Mighty B!
Pig Goat Banana Cricket
See Also: Cartoon Network Heroes