|“||I am the last one!||„|
|~ Draco's most famous line|
Draco is one of the 2 main protagonists of the 1996 movie, Dragonheart alongside the knight Bowen. He is a heroic dragon who is the last of his kind and laments having given part of his heart to the evil King Einon.
Draco first appears in a cave where he is approached by Prince Einon's mother Queen Aislinn and Sir Bowen, who implore Draco to save a fatally wounded Einon's life . Draco, however, can sense the evil in Einon's heart, and is therefore reluctant to help, also knowing that Einon's father was a cruel and brutal warlord. Eventually though, Draco agreed to save Einon, hoping that his heart could make Einon a better person. Instead, Einon proved to be no better after getting half of Draco's heart, and went on to become just as evil as his father ever was. Horrified at his actions, Draco retreated, also being pursued by Bowen, who believed that Draco's heart had made Einon evil.
For 12 years, Draco fled and hid, watching as his fellow dragons were slain until eventually he was the only one left. Pointing out to Bowen that the former knight will be out of a job if he kills him, the two agree to work together and con villages by having Draco attack them and then pretend to be slain by Bowen. As the two continue this scheme, they come to develop a genuine friendship, with Draco first getting this name from Bowen (his real name is, according to Draco, unpronouncable for humans). Draco also explains that only sufficiently viruous dragons get to go to their heaven, and that all others simply "disappear" when they die. Because Draco saved the life of a wicked individual, and used his own heart to do it, he knows full well that he will never be able to ascend.
Draco helps Bowen and his friends formulate a rebellion against Einon, but due to sharing a link with him in which they can feel each other's pain, it becomes clear that Einon cannot die so long as Draco lives. As a result, Bowen is ultimately forced to kill his friend to stop Einon. But in having given his life to stop Einon, Draco has sufficiently redeemed himself and his soul is allowed to ascend to the Dragons' Heaven, becoming the very brightest of the stars in it.
Dragonheart: A New Beginning
In the 2000 sequel Dragonheart: A New Beginning, it is revealed that prior to his death, Draco had an egg which hatched into Drake.
Draco was a wise-cracker with a sense of humour, but nonetheless a very noble dragon. He was also selfless, giving up his life and the existence of his species to kill Einon and save the kingdom. He did participate in scams all over the countryside with his knight friend Bowen, though he did have qualms over it. Like all dragons, Draco loved to sing when he was happy and never attacked anyone unless they attacked him first. He was always willing to look for an alternative solution to a problem and persuaded Bowen to stop attacking him and use him for a gold scam in return for some time in the sunlight and heat. He was highly intelligent, extremely sly and was sometimes skeptical about the status quo. He was hot-tempered, and was willing to defend anybody for any cause. He was wise, sarcastic and unfailingly loyal. And he is also known as dignified, rational, aspiring, courteous, optimistic, diligent, reasonable, affectionate, courageous and organized.
Powers and Abilities
- Dragon Physiology: Draco has several physical attributes that surpasses that of most other dragons.
- Camouflage: Draco had a special ability to blend in his surroundings, mostly shown to be able to blend in with solid rock. He would pass on this ability to his son, Drake.
- Fire Breath: Draco was able to send powerful blasts of fire from his nostrils. He is notable for being the only dragon in the film series shown to expel fire from his nostrils rather than his mouth.
- Aquatic Skills: Draco was shown to be able to breathe underwater for long periods of time and was able to swim long distances.
- Heart-Sharing: Like all dragons, Draco was able to share his heart with a human, but with the side effect of feeling any pain that the human feels.
- Jaw "Unhinging": Draco was able to "unhinge" his jaws so as to be able to open his mouth wide enough for a human to fit inside.
- Enhanced Strength: Draco was shown to have amazing strength, being able to carry a full grown horse and three humans with no struggle at all.
- Enhanced Durability: Draco's skin was very tough, showing off his durable body, he was able to survive from falling from high altitudes; such as the height of the castle.
- Enhanced Endurance: Since Draco shared his heart with a human, whenever the human was wounded he will feel the pain as well. It was unknown how great Draco's endurance would be if he had not shared his heart with a human.
- Enhanced Stamina: Draco's stamina was shown to be very high. He was able to swim or fly for long distances and was never shown to be exhausted at all.
- Enhanced Speed: Draco can fly in high speed faster than horse, he can run faster than a human and swim as fast as a dolphin.
- Enhanced Agility: Draco was shown to be flexible enough to swing his tail around, make flips while flying, and his body was shown to be maneuverable.
- Flight: Draco's wings were powerful enough to bring him to high altitudes over the clouds.
- Communication: Draco can speak perfect English, with a Scottish accent. He can also sing very well like all dragons.
- Expert Combatant: Draco was a powerful fighter partly because of his gigantic size, and had fought off numerous dragon-slayers.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Draco's intellect was equal to that of a human's and he able to give good advice.
- Retractable Tail: Draco's tail can retract at will.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Arrows or spears that are thrown at Draco can catch them very easily.
- Draco is the first ever dragon protagonist in the film series whose death and ascension into the Dragons' Heaven is shown.