|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Ellie (The Last of Us) contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||Endure and survive.||„|
|“||After all we've been through...Everything that I've done, it can't be for nothing.||„|
|~ Ellie to Joel in the Spring chapter.|
|“||I'm gonna find... and I'm gonna kill... every last one of them.||„|
|~ Ellie swearing vengeance.|
Ellie is the deuteragonist of The Last of Us franchise. She is the deuteragonist of the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 survival third-person action game The Last of Us and the main protagonist of American Dreams, Left Behind and The Last of Us Part II. A nineteen-year-old survivor, Ellie is "mature beyond her years" as a result of the circumstances of her environment.
She is voiced and motion captured by Ashley Johnson in the English version of the game, and by Gea Riva in the Italian version of the game. In the Japanese dub from the game, she is voiced by Megumi Han.
Ellie was born between January and April of 2019 to an Unnamed Man and Anna, during the fungal epidemic that was spreading across America. Anna entrusted Marlene to protect and watch over Ellie when she died, but Ellie would meet Marlene when she was thirteen years old. Ellie grew up in the Military Quarantine Zone of Boston, Massachusetts, and didn't learn of the previous life before the epidemic.
The Last of Us
The Last of Us Part II
Skills, Abilites and Weaknesses
Ellie is very skilled with knives and guns despite not being granted one until she saved Joel from a Hunter. She is also quite good at tracking and hunting as she was able to shoot a rabbit during Winter presumably from a far distance and managed to land a few good shots on a deer she was tracking. She is also a very good marksman, being able to snipe for Joel while he cleared a path of Hunters. Ellie is an equally skilled craftsmen as Joel, being able to create Medical Kits, Molotovs and Nail Bombs.
She is also immune to Infection as such spores or bites don't affect her and she also has the ability to Infect other humans via bites as she did with David. It's also revealed that Ellie knows how to work a car and is adept at horse-riding, being able to ride away from Joel and Tommy's dam by herself. She excels at stealth as well, an example was when she was able to creep up on a Hunter while he was attempting to drown Joel and shoot him although this could also be because he was distracted.
Though she is an equally adept survivor as Joel, her age, size and strength prevents her from physically fighting a human or Infected and has to slash with her knife. She can also be ambushed, tracked or knocked out. An example is when a group of cannibals located her back to her hold by following the horse tracks, being locked in a chokehold by David and tracked yet again by the latter. She also cannot swim which proves to be an obstacle when she encounters large bodies of water
Personality and Traits
|“||You have heart, you're loyal... And you're special||„|
|~ David to his prisoner, Ellie|
Having been raised in an environment where modern standards and values have deteriorated, Ellie is considerably as a rash, impulsive, coarse and temperamental girl, and isn't fazed by the notion of using violence as a means to an end or profanity as a way of expressing how she feels. However, she manages to maintain a particular innocence as she has yet to see the darkest sides of human nature and retains a palpable trust in people. This serves as the juxtaposition to Joel's wary, morose outlook on post-pandemic life. She apologized to the soldier scanning her for stabbing him and hoped to prevent him and Ramirez from harming her with non-lethal means.
Ellie is also perceptibly clever and witty, and will do whatever it takes to keep Joel and herself alive. She takes orders from Joel, but all the while makes it clear she does not "need any babysitting at all."
Ellie is enthusiastic about the outside world, given her confinement to her quarantine zone during her childhood. She is obsessed with things she collects from others, illustrated through her interest in music, movies, books, and video games. She frequently remarks her amusement upon finding interesting collectibles throughout her trip, which often clashes with Joel's physical indifference. Ellie begins to learn about the world before the Cordyceps brain infection due to the oddities she finds and from Joel. She is is amazed by the trivial matters that people were concerned with, specifically females, before the apocalypse such as boys and what shirt goes with which skirt.
Ellie seems to adhere to no religion, as seen when she claims that she goes "back and forth" when asked by Sam if she believes in an afterlife. She says that she would like to believe it, but admits "I … guess not."
Ellie also suffers from a case of monophobia (fear of being alone) and states to Sam that she fears losing others she cares about such as Joel. The cause of this case is possibly related to her estranged parents and the deaths of her best friend, Riley, and hired guardian, Tess. Coincidentally, both were victims of the fungus and both had gotten infected while in her company. Soon after admitting her fear to him, Sam joins the list.
Ellie showed difficulties in positioning herself as a young kid in an adult's eyes, and sometimes even tends to "supervise" adults. She also takes "justice" into her own hands on her relationship with anyone, and does not think she requires any adults' consent. This self-parenting trait is related to her time spent in an orphanage, where she had learned to fend for herself. An example is when Joel falls on an iron rod. Though not shown, she takes Joel (by horse) to an abandoned mall in order to find supplies to stitch his wound up. Afterwards she takes him to an abandoned house on a pulley attached to her horse and continues to nurse him back to health, while at the same time getting them food, and medicine from David.
|“||I'll go back... But we're done...||„|
|~ Ellie to Joel after learning the truth.|
|“||Joel, get up... Joel, fucking get up...||„|
|~ Ellie to Joel, witnessing his death.|
- Due to her revenge actions against Abby, Ellie can be considered hypocritical which leads to sociopathy, due to the fact that she kills people who were not even involved in Joel's death.
- She used to bear a striking resemblance to actress Ellen Page, who also stared in Beyond Two Souls, another PlayStation exclusive that was released months after The Last of Us. Ellie's appearance was altered as an attempt by Naughty Dog to better her age and resemble her voice actress.
- Her voice actress, Ashley Johnson won BAFTA Games Awards in 2013 and 2014 for her performance.
- Her English voice actress, Ashley Johnson, who also voiced Peter Shepherd in the Jumani animated series, Jinmay in Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!, Terra in Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go!, Gretchen Grundler in Recess, Gwen Tennyson in Ben 10: Alien Force and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, and Renet Tilley in the 2012 animated series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- Her Japanese Voice Actress, Megumi Han, who also voiced Momiji Sohma in Fruits Basket (2019), Airu Suzaki in Digimon Xros Wars: The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time, Gon Freecss in Hunter x Hunter (2011), Takeru Takaishi in Digimon Adventure:, Iris Amicitia in Final Fantasy XV, Cassie Cage in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Obito Uchiha (young) and Kurenai Yūhi (young) in Naruto: Shippuden, Atsuko Kagari in Little Witch Academia, Ramlethal Valentine in Guilty Gear Xrd, Sayla Mass in Mobile Suit Gundam, Rio Kastle in Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, Cheerilee in My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, Penny Polendina and Velvet Scarlatina in RWBY, Hime Shirayuki in Happiness Charge Pretty Cure!, Tatami Nakagame in My Hero Academia and Benio Adashino in Twin Star Exorcists.