Shota Aizawa, also known as the Erasure Hero: Eraser Head or simply Eraser Head, is a major character in the 2014 Japanese superhero manga series My Hero Academia and its 2016 anime television series adaptation of the same name. He also appears in the 2016 spin-off prequel manga series My Hero Academia: Vigilantes in which he serves as the main protagonist of the School Days Arc. Additionally, he is a minor character in the 2019 anime film My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising.
He is a Pro Hero and the homeroom teacher of U.A.'s Class 1A.
He was voiced by Junichi Suwabe in the Japanese version of the anime, and by formerly Alex Organ and currently by Christopher Wehkamp in the English version of the anime.
Aizawa is Class 1-A's homeroom teacher. He seems apathetic at first glance, but looks out for his students and pushes them to improve. He is also the pro hero Eraser Head. His Quirk, "Erasure", allows him to nullify others' control over their Quirks by making eye contact with them. Blinking dispels the effect of his Quirk and using it gives him very dry eyes.
Aizawa is a very strict and reserved person, with high expectations of his students. He acts mainly by logic and does not believe in the need to always appear clean on oneself, or to filter his words and ideas. He often looks cold, listless, and impatient, putting very little energy into what he does, preferring to take naps in his sleeping bag.
A strict teacher, Aizawa is known to fire students he thinks don't fit in U.A. It is however revealed that his high dismissal rate is only on paper, he has a habit of bringing back fired students. Shoto only does this to push them up. He can also be rigid and has little tolerance for disobedient behavior. He's not afraid to push his high school students through rigorous training and make them overcome their limits. Aizawa has proven that he can be very talkative and is not shy about expressing his ideas. He is known to lie to his students, manipulating them into giving their best, a technique he describes as "a logical ruse" "a rational deception".
Despite his apathetic features, Aizawa cares about his students and doesn't hesitate to give anything to protect them, such as when he saved Tsuyu Asui when he was already badly injured. He also showed that he believed in his high school students, and was even confident that Katsuki Bakugo would not go over to the Villains. Recovery Girl also insinuated that during a test, he let himself be captured by Momo Yaoyorozu in order to boost his self-confidence.
Named after his quirk, Erasure, Eraser Head can negate usage of the quirk possessed by whomever he makes eye contact with. for as long as he can last without blinking. Blinking will allow the target to use their quirk again; this is why Aizawa carries eye drops with him, as well as many other objects.
- Goggles: Aizawa wears speical gold-colored goggles so that enemies don't know who he's looking at, and correspondingly don't know who's quirk is deactivated.
- Binding Cloth: The cloth on Aizawa is used for combat, made of carbon nanofibers and a special metal alloy. Using his Binding Cloth, he's earned a 6/5 in Technique; an S rank. He is very agile, to the point of being inhuman, and uses his cloth to restrain opponents, working well with his quirk. This style paired with his agility and battle intuition means that his combat efficiency is empowered by creativity. He's a master hand-to-hand combatant.
- Knife: The large knife sheathed by Aizawa is used for cutting his cloth when needed. But it isn't part of his technique, so he doesn't use it for fighting often.
The limitations to his quirk other than giving their power back to them when he blinks are its inability to work on mutant-class quirks (for inferable reasons), its toll on the dryness of his eyes, and that it makes his hair and binding cloth stand up, meaning enemies can tell when he's using his ability. The quirk has no offensive potential, so all of his combat capabilities were achieved through training, and as a pro hero, Eraser Head is a very good fighter, capable of swiftly defeating dozens of low-tier thugs. He does not possess super strength however, and at most, he likely possesses peak human strength. At the same time he defeated the low-level thugs, Nomu almost killed Eraser Head-- he was a threat that All Might had to handle.
- His Japanese voice actress, Junichi Suwabe, also voiced Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez in Bleach, Takashi Komuro in Highschool of the Dead, Siegfried in Fate/Apocrypha, Freed Justine in Fairy Tail, Archer and Archer in Fate/stay night, Reim Lunettes in Pandora Hearts, Raikou Shimizu in Nabari no Ou, Leone Abbacchio in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, The Undertaker in Black Butler, Vega in Street Fighter IV, Terence D'Arby in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle, Vergo in One Piece, Amalthus in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Kyogai in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Akura-Ou in Kamisama Kiss, Seiji Matoba in Natsume's Book of Friends, Jamil in Magi, Fuuma Monou in X, Lamp Shadow in Ressha Sentai ToQger, Tubaloid and Tubaloid 2 in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, Chronos in Tales of Xillia 2, Mulu-elu Galu-gu in GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters, Yasha, in Asura's Wrath and Van Argiano in Blood+.
- His first English voice aactress, Alex Organ, also voiced Togusa in Ghost in the Shell: Arise, Leo Bernard in Freezing, Kishou Arima in Tokyo Ghoul, Shogo Makishima in Psycho-Pass, Norway in Hetalia, Kaku in One Piece, Damnatio Kira in Black Clover, Doctor in Black Butler, Shin Hyuga Shaing in Code Geass: Akito the Exiled and Isaac Ray Peram Westsott in Date a Live.
- His second English voice actress, Christopher Wehkamp, also voiced Isaac Ray Peram Westsott in Date a Live, Kishou Arima and Tatara in Tokyo Ghoul, Clover Ebi in RWBY, Ren Akatsuki in Fairy Tail, Miles Edgeworth in Ace Attorney, Alexis Leskinen in Steins;Gate 0 and Fiamma of the Right in Toaru Majutsu no Index.