This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Eren Yeager contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
Eren Yeager is the main protagonist of the anime/manga series Attack on Titan. He is a young boy from Shiganshina District, the southernmost town of Wall Maria, the outer wall of Paradis, he is also the childhood friend of Mikasa Ackerman and Armin Arlert, the trio both joined the military with him 2 years after having their town annihilated by the Titans. He holds a personal vendetta against all Titans and his goal is to wipe them all off the face of the Earth. He is ranked 5th in his class. After a near-death experience, he discovers that he possesses the mysterious ability to transform into a Titan, inherited from his father, Grisha Yeager. This leads multiple groups to vie for him, viewing him as the key to humanity's fate. Eren is the current holder of the Attack Titan and the Founding Titan's power.
While he serves as the main focus character of the story, he also shared his main role with Reiner and Ymir during the first half of the Clash of the Titans arc and he was not the central character during the Uprising Arc, as the story focused on Levi and Historia's perspectives and lives. In the penultimate arc of the series, the Marley arc, Eren shares the main perspective with Reiner again.
He is voiced by Yuki Kaiji in the Japanese version of the anime, and Bryce Papenbrook in the English version, both of whom also voiced Meliodas. In the live-action film adaptation, he was portrayed by the late Haruma Miura.
Eren, seemingly of German origin is a young boy of average height & build. He's got a fairly long face, brown hair, and large, round turquoise-green eyes (the brightness of his eye color varies depending on the lighting). His skin seems slightly more tan than that of the other characters. His short hair reaches the nape of his neck and falls middle-parted in front of his forehead in sort of a "curtain" style. His eyes are very sizable and expressive. Being as passionate as he is, his brow is often furrowed, making him appear angry or annoyed. He is first seen wearing regular townsfolk attire which consisted of brown pants, a green shirt with a string holding the collar together and a maroon vest. Later, he is seen in the typical Scouting Legion uniform. He always keeps the key given to him by his father dangling around his neck on a string.
As a Titan Eren's appearance changes quite drastically, yet there are a few qualities that make him recognizable. Along with a massive increase in height, his hair grows to about chin length and his eyes become long and thin as opposed to his normal eyes which are round and wide. His tongue, nose, and ears become more prominent and pointed and his teeth become dagger shaped, multiply and form two rows. Compared to the majority of other Titans, Eren's Titan form seems much more physically fit and stronger, bearing lean muscle rather than a belly.
|“||I'll erase their existence from this world... I'm going to kill them all! Not even a single one of them will be left!||„|
|~ Eren making his vow to destroy the Titans|
Eren is best described as hardheaded, strong-willed, passionate, and impulsive and kindhearted boy, which are all attributes of his strong determination to protect mankind and eventually escape the Walls. As a young child, he was so intent on joining the Survey Corps that he argued with and shouted at his mother, referring to the people in the village as "silly" and compared them to complacent livestock. He cared deeply for Armin, his best and only friend before he met Mikasa, and most importantly his family, risking harm and even death in order to help them.
This quality was most often demonstrated in the form of Eren taking on the larger boys who would bully Armin without hesitation; and more tragically when he desperately attempted to lift the rubble crushing his mother during the Titan's assault in Shiganshina. In contrast, Eren is also capable of displaying very violent behavior in the defense of people he does not even know. This is highlighted when he brutally slaughtered two of the human traffickers who captured Mikasa in order to rescue her, despite the fact that they were total strangers at the time. Since witnessing his mother's gruesome demise and losing contact with his father, his fierce protectiveness to those he has left has only intensified.
Eren has a number of defining traits that date back to his childhood. He came to share his friend Armin's awe of the lands beyond the Walls after the latter showed him a book depicting the wonders of the outside world; and decided to see it all for himself. This led him to develop a scornful attitude to anyone content to live and die within the Wall's confines without ever setting foot outside. This very contempt may have been the reason he did not easily make friends with his peers. He resented both the Walls that "caged" them in like cattle, and the Titans that had driven humanity to erect them in the first place.
As a result of this, he greatly admired the soldiers of the Survey Corps, regarding them as "heroes", and wishing to join their ranks as soon as he became eligible for enrollment. He easily took offense when anyone spoke badly of the Legion, and his determination to join caused friction between himself and his mother, as well as to Mikasa. Eren also has an incredibly short temper; when he was younger, he got annoyed by people not taking the military seriously and frequently got into fights with bullies over trivial things. Nowadays, just about everything makes him mad, but nothing more than the Titans; merely mentioning them is enough to make his blood boil.
Eren had a marked lack of self-restraint that often led him into trouble, causing both his friends and family to worry over him. When sufficiently provoked, his anger could drive him into a frenzy, accompanied by horrific levels of violence. Like many children, he tended to view the world in terms of black-and-white; having great compassion for humanity and its plight, but deeming those individuals who deny others their freedom as worthless scum unfit to be left alive. He also had the habit of thinking with his heart rather than his head, even in situations where his own life was in danger.
Whilst assuming his Titan form, Eren seems to become more savage, bloodthirsty, and all-round uncontrollable. Though he is able to consciously control his Titan body after the Battle of Trost, he can very easily become caught up in the pleasure of slaughtering his enemies, indulging in thoughts so brutal he gives the impression of being insane, though he is shown to not be completely stable even as a human. There are times when it seems that Eren is not in control of himself in this state however such as when his Titan form was attempting to write about his father from a subconscious memory.
His characteristic qualities have become more highly pronounced since his mother's death. He now focuses his destructive rage on the Titans, holding a virulent hatred for them, with the goal to one day rid the world of Titans. He vowed to brutally kill his former friends Reiner Braun and Bertolt Hoover who were revealed to be the Armored and Colossus Titans respectively, regardless of their past together. Fueled by vengeance, he vowed to personally wipe every single one of them out and restore mankind to its rightful place.
Though he feels great remorse for quarreling with his mother till the very end, he still continues to go against her wishes by seeking entry to the Survey Corps. So strong is his desire to exterminate the Titans, he was plunged into despair when it seemed he could not even master the basics of the Vertical Maneuvering Equipment during training, when his failure was in fact due to faulty equipment. He is unafraid to voice his intentions of leaving the Walls to eliminate the Titans, and is so consumed in his hatred that he seems not to fear them at all; earning him the nickname "Suicidal Blockhead" from the other Trainees.
He possesses great amounts of selflessness, perseverance, fortitude, and a vigorous determination; managing to graduate fifth in his class despite his lack of natural talent. He refused to give up on his goal to exterminate the Titans even after being dismembered and eaten alive, took on the Colossus Titan alone and attempted to fight the 14-15 meter tall Smiling Titan while in his human form. He greatly appreciates and/or admires his comrades, and will swiftly fly into a rage if one of them is injured or killed in front of him.
He prizes human life, but his personal sense of justice dictates that anyone who steals away the freedom and dreams of others deserves to die. As the identities of the Titan Shifters are revealed, his disbelief quickly gives way to a burning desire to deal each a slow, agonizing death for their crimes. Though his ordeals since the Battle of Trost have taught him to conduct himself a bit more carefully, Eren still tends to behave quite rashly, and speaks his mind even when he knows he should not. This has put him in grave danger on numerous occasions, and he often finds himself having to be rescued.
Eren however tends to lose confidence in himself when confronted with how he could do little to nothing in situations. This includes when Eren put his trust in the Special Operations Squad when he could have fought the Female Titan himself and they all ended up dying. This weighed heavily on Eren and drove him to protect those close to him unless the threats were people he was once close to including the Female Titan who turned out to be Annie. This was shown again when Eren was about to sacrificed to Historia to reclaim the Reiss family's power.
Regaining his memories of killing his father as a Titan while taking his powers weighed heavily on Eren, this only worsened when Grisha was revealed to have killed nearly the whole Reiss family to obtain a power that supposedly could only be used by the Reiss family to potentially eliminate the Titans. Eren was overcome with despair by this and had only thoughts of being devoured in order to save humanity. It took a lot of encouragement from the friends Eren had left to overcome this despair and regain his passion. During most of the story, Eren had two specific life goals: join the Survey Corps to see the outside world as a free being with Armin and exterminate the Titans from the face of the Earth to restore humanity's dignity.
Once he found out the Intelligent Titans are all human shifters, he vowed to capture them to avenge humanity's losses, especially when he found out the identities of Reiner and Bertholdt. Tragically, as Eren was confronted by many harsh realities of his world and his father's ideology, he ended up failing to find any joy or satisfaction in realizing part of those goals, despite initially fighting with passion and rage. First, when he captured Bertholdt he wasn't even concerned with punishment, as he was busy begging Levi for Armin's lifeby letting him eat Bertholdt to steal his Colossal Titan, and when Bertholdt was finally given to Armin's mindless Pure Titan, Eren only showed a shocked passive expression.
Things got more depressive and hard for him when he finally entered his father's basement and read all the documents about the real world he lives on and that all this time, the events of the story had all been Eldians slaughtering each others while the rest of "pure" humanity hates them and wants them all gone, most of them trusting hope on the country of Marley to fight them. Thus, these revelations have made Eren's annihilation of the Titan meaningless and painful, as they were mindless banished Eldian slaves, and when he finally saw the ocean with Armin, Eren didn't show any happiness and wore the same depressed face.
As of now, Eren has admitted to Reiner himself to be no better than him and said that he has learned the Warriors' history. Eren thinks himself to be now in Reiner's identical position from the past, being an infiltrate in Marley who found out his enemies are just other humans, most of them misguided and brainwashed, but has to carry out his duty and protect Paradis from the threats of humanity to the end. Eren awkwardly said to Reiner to forget anything he said about killing him slowly, despite Reiner begging him to do so, and then proceeded to carry on with attacking Liberio city without personal desires of revenge.
Originally, Eren's only noteworthy trait was his natural physical strength. As he grew and joined the 104th squad, he trained extensively in hand-to-hand combat, scoring top marks in this class, being second only to Mikasa and Annie. After additional training with Reiner and Annie, Eren's prowess and skillset diversified, including the use of punches, throws, grappling and submission locks. While hand-to-hand fighting would appear useless due to the massive physical differences between humans and Titans, these skills gave Eren a powerful edge when fighting other Titans in his own Titan form.
3D Maneuver Gear
At first, it is shown that Eren is not very skilled with the gear, he tried and tried countless times but kept tipping and smacking his head on the floor. People mocked him for this. Eren pleaded for help from everyone but the only advice they could give Eren was that he needed to clear his mind and focus. On his last attempt Eren did just that and stayed upright for a short period of time before tipping over and hitting his head. The commander told Tomas Wagner to swap equipment with Eren and for Eren to try again. Eren did so and balanced with ease. Commander then told Eren that his equipment was damaged and that it was a miracle that he managed to stay up right at all. He isn't shown using the gear much, but was able to hold his own with the Colossal Titan for a short period of time until the titan disappeared. He was eventually able to slowly develop a respectable amount of skill with the use of the gear, even being capable of killing a titan on his own not too long after joining the Scouting Corps.
Powers of the Nine Titans
After being swallowed by a titan, Eren was able to turn into a titan. He is much stronger than the average titan, and is able to effectively dispatch a group of titans with ease. In this form, he is a 15m titan, with shoulder-length black hair, pointy ears, and a huge mouth. Because of his intelligence, something regular titans don't have, he is able to out-maneuver the others and quickly beat them down. While initially, having little to no control over his actions, he managed to overcome this with extensive use of his transformations. His titan form, combined with his growing experience and his hand-to-hand combat skills allowed him to kill over 20 titans in his first transformation and later manage to overpower and nearly kill the Armored Titan.
His transformations are triggered through causing physical harm onto himself while having a clear goal in mind. He can also trigger partial manifestations. Even in his human form, Eren still has some Titan-related benefits such as their accelerated regeneration capabilities.
In general, Eren Yeager has access to the basic power and abilities of a Titan. Having access to the Attack, Founding and War Hammer Titans, however, Eren also has special abilities granted from these three Titans.
- Superhuman Strength: As a Titan, Eren has displayed strength far beyond human capabilities on multiple occasions. Some of these include carrying a massive boulder over his head, punching the Female Titan with enough force to send her into the air, moving the collosal titan´s. He was also able to break the Armored Titan's armor at one point, relying on his martial skills. In regards to opposition, Eren´s titan form is evenly matched against the female, armored, jaw and other titans with few exceptions like the colossal, warhammer and even the beast titan, since he single-handedly defeated the armored titan much faster than the Eren himself.
- Superhuman Speed: Eren in his Titan form can move at speed surpassing human capabilities. His speed has shown to rival with that of the Female Titan.
- Superhuman Endurance: Eren in his Titan form has shown to take heavy hits from the likes of Reiner and Annie and stand back up on his toes quickly from them, despite having his jaw destroyed and being punched hundreds of feat. During his first transformation, he defeated 20 mindless Titans with moderate difficulty His endurance improves during his time in Marley, when he turns into a Titan three times in a row without rest.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Eren can heal from serious injuries and wounds as both a Titan and as a regular human. He has also shown to be able to stop the regenerating process and hold it for a long period of time, most notably being when he cut off his own leg to play off as an injured Marleyan soldier.
- Healing Withdrawal: As briefly mentioned, Eren can withhold his regenerative healing for 3 years during his infiltration in the marleyan military similar Reiner braun during his time in the paradis military.
- Crystal Hardening: After drinking Rod Reiss' bottle of "Armor", Eren has gained the ability to harden his Titan form. This ability ranges from hardening his fists to his entire body. His hardened fists are strong and durable enough to break the Armored Titan's armor and can hold massive structures together in place.
- Structural Hardening/Creation: With the powers of the War Hammer Titan, Eren is able to create various solid structures made from his Titan flesh and can use them to layout traps, ambush his opponents or create weaponry.
- Future Memory Inheritance/Clairvoyance: With the powers of the Attack Titan, Eren is able to see the memories of future inheritors, or relay his memories to previous users. Eren later revealed to Armin as a negative side effect with additionally having the Founding Titan, Eren's perception of time became non-linear and he acted with the flow of the history he was shown, and thought incoherently. However it also gave Eren a more powerful version of the Future Memory Inheritance ability, letting him take control of Dina Fritz's pure titan 9 years into the past to ensure history played out as he remembered.
- The Coordinate/Founding: With the powers of the Founding Titan, Eren has access to the Coordinate, where all the Eldian Paths converge. With the Coordinate, the Founder is able to manipulate the Subjects of Ymir (all of them connected to the Coordinate) in almost every way as they act as if they were part of the Founder's own body itself. This allows the Founder to change the composition of the bodies of all Subjects of Ymir and could have several applications, including but most likely not limited to: memory manipulation, sickness immunity, telepathy and potentially causing their bodies to be sterile. The Founder can also cause any Subject of Ymir to become any type of mindless Titan the Founder wishes and its control over them is completely absolute. Initially, he could not use the Coordinate freely because he does not have royal blood and had to come into contact with a member of the royal family to gain access to it, but after Ymir Fritz was convinced by Eren that she was not a slave to the royal family, she granted him the full power of the Coordinate and can now use its immense power with no restriction. However, in spite of this, the royal blood seems to still be necessary in order to keep the Founder fully active, as evidenced when Zeke was killed and the Rumbling came to a sudden halt. This was very briefly though, as Eren was able to create a new Founding Titan in the shape of the Colossus Titan, and emit a gas that would turn all the other Eldians present (with the exception of other titan inheritors and members of the Ackerman family), into Pure Titans.
- Two unnamed kidnappers
- Grisha Yeager (unintentional as a mindless Titan)
- Willy Tybur
- Marley army officer
- Marley navy officer
- audience members at Liberio festival
- 80% of the world population
- One unnamed kidnapper/human trafficker
- Dina Yeager
- Bertolt Hoover
- Over a hundred Stohess District citizens
- Mikasa Ackerman (unintentional)
- Bertolt Hoover
- Reiner Braun
- Annie Leonhart
- Ms. Tybur
- Eren ranked second in the characters popularity poll right after Levi.
- Eren was regarded as "humanity's last hope" by his people, until the Survey Corps recovered the secrets of their world and found out that the whole world hates the people of the Walls. Thus, the roles reverted and Reiner Braun and his fellow Warriors are the actually seen as the "humanity's heroes", while Eren is considered humanity's greatest enemy.
- Eren as a normal man-eating Titan was very small: 4 meters.
- Eren was known for fighting (and losing) with the local bullies of Shiganshina. He was known for his stubborness, despite always ending up beaten up.
- In a flashback, his father notes that as a child, Eren did not make friends easily, and that's why he had only Armin.
- The name Eren is of Turkish origin. It can be interpreted as a "man", "saint", or "holy person". It's also phonetically similar to "Aaron", which is the anglicised form of the Hebrew name "Aharown" meaning "light bringer"
- Eren's last name, Yeager, is similar to the German and Scandinavian word jäger, which means "hunter."
- The opening song of the anime, Guren no Yumiya, seemingly makes reference to this in its first lyrics ("Sie sind das Essen und wir sind die Jäger!" lit. "They are the food and We are the hunters!").
- Hajime Isayama stated in a interview that he based Eren's titan form off of the Japanese martial artist Yūshin Okami, paraphrasing it to be the "ideal physique of a middleweight mixed martial artist."
- Guren no Yumiya (Red Lotus Arrow) is Eren's theme song.
Eren Yeager | Mikasa Ackerman | Armin Arlert | Levi Ackerman | Hanji Zoe | Jean Kirschtein | Connie Springer | Sasha Braus | Historia Reiss | Reiner Braun | Erwin Smith | Eld Jinn | Petra Ral | Oluo Bozado | Ymir | Artur Braus | Gabi Braun | Falco Grice | Survey Corps | Garrison | Special Operations Squad |