|“||Oh, Sofia. I could always count on my animal friends to help me through tough times, and so can you.||„|
|~ Aurora talking about her animal friends to Sofia.|
The Forest Animals are supporting characters in Disney's 1959 film Sleeping Beauty. Aurora seems to be the only human who can communicate with them.
The Animals were animated by Hal King, David Pruiksma and late Eric Larson.
The Forest Animals are first seen when Aurora enters the woods, to pick berries for her aunts. While Aurora is singing she wakes the animals who, one by one flocks to her. The owl nearly falls down from a tree when he wakes up but Aurora saves him with her basket. Aurora notices two birds cuddling with each other and she starts to sing "I Wonder" and the owl gives her a rose. The Forest Animals follows her as she goes to the end of the forest where she stares at the castle and dreams away. She talks to them about how her aunts treats her as a child and how she despite what they say have met someone. The Forest Animals listens to her very attentively when she explains how she met a prince in her dreams. They all seem disappointed when she says that everytime she dreams the prince will kiss her she wakes up. One of the squirrels notices some clothes hanging on a tree branch and makes a plan with some other of the animals to take them and portray as Aurora's dream prince thus making her happy. Unknowingly for the animals they took Prince Phillip's cape, hat and boots. The animals goes back to Aurora whom is sitting with a chipmunk in her lap. She sees her "dream prince" and goes in on the whole charade, starting dancing and singing "Once Upon a Dream". Later Philip comes and the two sings and dance together, meanwhile the animals follows them and looks very happy for Aurora. The Forest Animals follows Aurora when she runs away from Philip and after that are never seen again in the movie.
Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams
The blue and red bird comes and visits Aurora when the queen, the kings and Prince Philip leave. They chirp and Aurora comments back and then they fly away.
Not all of the Forest Animals were supposed to appear in the scene where Aurora is out in the forest in her usual peasants clothes and picking beeries for Phillip's birthday. But the ones who were supposed to be there were the owl, a squirrel, the blue and red bird and two rabbits. They were supposed to hang out with Aurora and follow her while she expresses her love of Phillip through the song "When You Love Someone". This scene was never officially released.
Another scene where the blue and red bird would appear is when Aurora notices that the fairies have already made dresses for her. They were supposed to sit at the window and listen to Aurora talking. But this scene was also never officially released.
- Aurora's animal friends make a small cameo in Aurora's Royal Wedding. They arrive as guests on the wedding.
- The Forest Animals also make a small cameo in Disney Princess - Beautiful Brides. Once again as guests at the wedding.
- The animals are shown in the book Sleepy Time with Aurora. She says goodnight to them and they listen to her reading a bed time story.
- One of the forest animals (the owl) did a small cameo in Goliath II.
- In Sleeping Beauty the Forest Animals are primarily used to sustain many of Aurora's lines. Instead of having her talking to herself, she is addressing her animal friends.
- Even though it's implied that Aurora loves all of the animals in the forest, and they love her. She is probably closest to the owl, two rabbits, one squirrel and a blue and a red bird. Because they are the ones who makes up the whole prince charade and the ones who follows her when she runs away from Phillip. And if there is pictures of Aurora together with her animal friends, they are often the ones who are present.