|“||(Thomas: There's something in there.) You mean, besides a Griever pancake?||„|
|~ Frypan to Thomas while looking at a dead Griever.|
Frypan (originally named Siggy), is a hairy teen, the Keeper of the Cooks, Thomas, Teresa, Newt, Minho, and Gally's best friend and fellow Glader, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Harriet, and Vince's best friend and fellow Right Arm member, and a main character of The Maze Runner, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, and Maze Runner: The Death Cure. He is named after Sigmund Freud. He was originally named Toby before being taken by WCKD.
Frypan is portrayed by Dexter Darden, who also portrays Walter Hill in Joyful Noise.
The Maze Runner
When Gally stops Thomas from walking into the Maze, Frypan and the Gladers join Gally in stopping Thomas from walking into the Maze.
At night, at the bonfire, Frypan watches Thomas and Gally wrestle, before Thomas knocks Gally down to the ground, but Gally knocks Thomas down to the ground as well, causing him to remember his name.
Later, Frypan and the Gladers banish Ben from the Glade.
The next day, Frypan is present when Thomas, Minho, and Alby return to the Glade.
In the Council Hall, during the Gathering, Frypan is present when Gally suggests that Thomas should be punished for going into the Maze to help Minho and Alby.
Frypan is also present when Teresa arrives in the Glade.
When Newt decides that Thomas will spend one night in the Pit with no food, Gally leaves the Council Hall in anger. Frypan tries to stop him, but Gally rebuffs him.
Later, Teresa, who has woken up and fled to the tower, throws rocks at Frypan and the Gladers, but Thomas stops her and goes up to talk to her, while Frypan and the Gladers leave.
The next day, when Thomas and Minho return to the Glade, Frypan watches Thomas and Gally argue with each other, when Teresa calls out to them and the Gladers and tells them that Alby is awake.
In the medical hut, Frypan watches on as Alby tell Thomas that he remembers that Thomas worked for WCKD.
At night, during the Grievers' attack on the Glade, Frypan, Thomas, Teresa, Newt, Minho, Alby, Chuck, Winston, Jeff, and Clint hide in the Council Hall from the Grievers. Frypan watches Clint get killed by a Griever. Chuck is caught by a Griever, but Alby sacrifices himself to save him.
After the attack, Gally punches Thomas in the face, causing Frypan, Newt, Minho, Winston, and Jeff to restrain him. As Frypan, Newt, Minho, Winston, and Jeff try to restrain Gally, Thomas takes a Griever stinger from Chuck and uses it to stab himself in the thigh to regain his memories. Frypan, Teresa, Newt, Minho, Chuck, Winston, and Jeff tend to Thomas.
The next day, Thomas tells Frypan, Teresa, Newt, Minho, Chuck, Winston, and Jeff that he and Teresa worked for WCKD and created the Maze.
Gally takes command, has Teresa tied to the pole, and attempts to have Thomas tied to the pole. Frypan cuts Teresa free after she kicks a Glader in the groin while Thomas fights off two Gladers and Newt knocks down a Glader. Frypan escapes with one half of the Gladers while Gally stays in the Glade with another half of the Gladers.
Frypan helps the Gladers fight off the Grievers, but Jeff dies trying to save Minho from a Griever. The Gladers go into the WCKD lab and watch a video left by Ava Paige, who shoots herself at the end of the video.
Frypan and the Gladers are about to leave when Gally, who is stung by a Griever, arrives with a gun and tells them that they will never be free. Gally points the gun at Thomas, but Minho throws a spear at Gally, impaling him in the chest, while Gally shoots a bullet at Chuck, hitting him in the chest. Frypan watches Chuck die in Thomas' arms before a group of masked soldiers arrive and take the Gladers to a helicopter.
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
In the film Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, Frypan escapes WCKD along with the others. He travels through the Scorch and makes it to the Right Arm, fighting with his friends when WCKD attacks the group.
Maze Runner: The Death Cure
At night, when Thomas leaves the hideout to go to the Last City to rescue Minho, Frypan and Newt join him.
The next day, Frypan, Thomas, and Newt drive into the sewers, where the Cranks attack them, Frypan shoots at them with a shotgun, but soon runs out of ammo. Brenda and Jorge arrive and save them from the Cranks. Thomas tells Brenda that he didn't want to put anyone in danger and Frypan thanks Brenda and Jorge for saving them.
Frypan, Thomas, Newt, Brenda, and Jorge arrive in the Last City. Thomas is scanned at the gate, and the WCKD guards recognize him. Frypan, Thomas, Newt, Brenda, and Jorge run from the turrets and into a safe corner where a crew wearing gas masks rescue them and take them to a hideout, where a member of the crew reveals himself to be Gally. Thomas, remembering when Gally killed Chuck while stung by a Griever, punches him in the face. Frypan joins Newt in stopping Thomas from punching Gally. When Jorge asks Frypan if he knows Gally, Frypan tells him that Gally was an old friend.
While Frypan, Thomas, Newt, Brenda, and Jorge are led to Lawrence's hideout by Gally, Frypan is told by Gally that he was found lying on the floor of the WCKD lab with the spear still in his chest by Lawrence's crew, who, after discovering that he is immune to the Flare, pulled the spear out of his chest and took him to the Last City, where Lawrence patched him up and convinced him to join his crew. Frypan is told by Gally that Lawrence's crew is working to destroy WCKD. Frypan is told by Gally not to stare at Lawrence.
Frypan, Thomas, Newt, Gally, Brenda, and Jorge arrive in Lawrence's hideout. Lawrence tells Thomas that Frypan, Brenda, and Jorge can stay behind while he, Newt, and Gally go into the Last City. Before Gally climbs down the ladder, Frypan tells him to take care of Thomas and Newt. Gally agrees.
The next day, in Lawrence's hideout, Frypan, Thomas, Newt, Gally, Brenda, and Jorge go over plans to use Teresa to get into WCKD. Thomas is reluctant to use Teresa to get into WCKD, Newt reacts with extreme aggressiveness, screaming at Thomas for still having feelings for Teresa. Shocked about himself, Newt apologizes and walks out.
At night, while Thomas and Gally go into the Last City to capture Teresa, Frypan, Newt, Brenda, and Jorge go to an abandoned church. Thomas and Gally take Teresa to the church where Frypan, Newt, Brenda, and Jorge are. Frypan watches on as Gally interrogates Teresa before Thomas convinces her to remove the trackers from their necks.
After getting their trackers removed by Teresa, Frypan and Gally wipe the back of their necks with cloths. Gally remarks to Frypan that Teresa enjoyed removing trackers and Frypan agrees with him. Newt approaches them and gives them WCKD soldier overall uniforms and face-masking helmets.
Frypan climbs up a crane while Thomas, Teresa, Newt, and Gally go to the WCKD tower, Brenda goes to a parking lot to steal a bus, and Jorge returns to the Right Arm's hideout.
Gally takes the Immune teenagers and a serum he taken out of a vault to Brenda. While Gally goes to find Thomas, Brenda drives the teenagers out of the garage, but is cornered by WCKD soldiers. Brenda fires a flare gun into the sky to signal for Frypan to save her and the teenagers with the crane.
Frypan, Brenda, and the Immune teenagers discover that Lawrence has gone to destroy the walls of the Last City. Jorge and Vince arrive with a berg to pick them up. They fly into the city to get Thomas, Newt, Minho, and Gally.
Frypan, Brenda, Jorge, Vince, and the Immune teenagers are waiting at the berg when they hear Teresa telling Thomas that his blood can cure Newt like it did Brenda, Minho and Gally arrive, asking where the serum is. Frypan, Minho, Gally, and Brenda arrive at the train station where they see that Thomas has killed Newt. While Thomas walks off to the WCKD tower, Frypan, Minho, Gally, and Brenda gather around Newt's dead body.
Frypan, Minho, Gally, and Brenda return to the berg where Jorge flies them, Vince, and the Immune teenagers to the top of the WCKD building where Thomas and Teresa are. Thomas is unable to get on the berg due to being shot in the stomach by Janson, but Teresa manages to throw him onto the ramp of the berg, allowing Frypan, Minho, Gally, Brenda, and Vince to pull him onboard. Teresa falls to her death when the WCKD tower collapses. As Jorge flies Frypan, Thomas, Minho, Gally, Brenda, Vince, and the Immune teenagers away from the tower, Frypan helps Gally bandage on Thomas' wound.
Sometime later, Frypan, Thomas, Minho, Gally, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Harriet, Vince, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers arrive at the Safe Haven. Frypan is cooking when he sees Thomas, who has woken up, approaching him. Frypan watches on as Thomas and Minho hug. At night, at the campfire, Frypan, Thomas, Minho, Gally, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Harriet, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers listen to Vince give a speech.
Frypan asks everyone at the Safe Haven if they want the food he has cooked. Frypan goes to the memorial rock and carves Winston's name on it. Frypan is sitting at the campfire with Minho, Gally, Aris, Brenda, Jorge, Sonya, Harriet, Vince, the Right Arm, and the Immune teenagers when Thomas approaches them and sits down at the campfire with them. The next day, while Frypan is sleeping, Thomas goes to the memorial rock and carves Teresa's name on it. Thomas walks along the beach, stops walking, looks at the ocean and the ship, takes out the serum, looks at it, and looks out into the distance.
Physical Appearance and Personality
In The Fever Code, Frypan was described as being a tall boy who has dark skin. In The Maze Runner, he had a full beard and hair sticking out all over the rest of his body, "as if each follicle were trying to escape the confines of his food-smeared clothes." Thomas initially thought that Frypan was not the most sanitary guy to oversee all the cooking.
In the films, Frypan is depicted as a stocky boy who has dark skin, short hair, and no beard.
Powers and Abilities
- Disease Immunity: Frypan was shown to be immune to the effects of the deadly Flare virus.
- Above-Average Strength: Frypan was shown to be muscularly strong for his age and size in the Maze Runner film, he was able to pull a dead Griever's mechanical legs off with the help of assistance from his friends. Then in the Scorch Trials film, Frypan was capable of bashing through a locked door with brute effort strength.
- Cooking Intuition: In his years in the Maze as the Keeper of the Cooks, Frypan always used to cook food for the Gladers and is very talented at it. As shown in a deleted scene of the Maze Runner film, he cooked a kabob of bacon for the Gladers and threw one to Thomas, who commented it was delicious. In the Death Cure film, after rescuing Thomas, Minho, and the immunes from the Last City, they arrived at the Safe Haven where Frypan once again became a chief at preparing food for his allies. In Newt's letter to Thomas, he says he'd never thought to miss the taste of stew Frypan used to make.
- Vehicle Intuition: In the Death Cure film, Frypan seemed to have great knowledge and skills at operating mechanical vehicles while going up against enemies in harsh environments. He drove in an armoured car with Thomas and Newt through a tunnel with an armada of Cranks trying to break in, but he managed to push away from them and knocked one off the side of the door, then when given a plan to rescue the immunes from the WCKD headquarters, Brenda shot her flare to signal for Frypan to use a crane to attach to the bus in order to lift them to safety and succeeded.
- Expert Gunmanship & Weapon Proficiency: Not much shown, but in the Scorch Trials film, Frypan seemed to be skillful at using projectile and melee weaponry when fighting against opponents. Then in the Death Cure film, his gunmanship skills had improved as he used and quickly reloaded the last couple of rounds in his shotgun to kill many few Cranks from each corner direction protecting himself, Thomas, and Newt before Brenda and Jorge arrived with no harm done to them.
- Dagger Proficiency: Frypan was shown to know his way with using knives. In the Maze Runner film, he used it to fend off the Gladers trying to stop Thomas and the others from heading out the Maze and was shown to be carrying it in the Scorch Trials film.
- Backpack: Frypan carried supplies with this bag behind his back where he stored a water bottle, flashlight, and Machete Knife.
- Colt M1911 Pistol: Frypan was given this pistol by Vince to fight against WCKD soldiers temporarily in the Scorch Trials film.
- Mossberg 500: In the Death Cure film, Frypan was equipped at wielding this shotgun weapon.
- Armored Car: Frypan had briefly driven this transportation vehicle with bulletproof windows while going on a mission with his allies.