|“||You're a bold kid, Arnold.||„|
|~ Gerald to Arnold|
|“||Hmm, mm, mm.||„|
|~ Gerald to himself|
Gerald Martin Johanssen is the deuteragonist in the Nickelodeon animated television series, Hey Arnold!, and was the tritagonist of the 2017 TV film Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie. He is Arnold's best friend. Gerald is often acknowledged as the token black character for the show.
He was voiced by Jamil Walker Smith throughout the entire run of the series, even as Smith went through puberty (the voice change was explained away when "Gerald's Tonsils" were removed).
He is voiced by Benjamin Flores, Jr. in The Jungle Movie (Atticus from Happy Feet 2).
Gerald is Arnold's opposite in almost every sense. While Arnold goes through life maintaining a patient and idealistic view, Gerald has a much more pragmatic view on situations and tells things as they are. Gerald is much more savvy and street smart then his best friend and is normally very relaxed. Gerald is at times selfish but is still a loyal and stable friend.
Gerald is Arnold's best friend — which usually means he's on the scene when Arnold's latest escapade happens. Gerald is also the occasional voice of reason (just when Arnold needs it). Gerald has a good deal of knowledge of many legendary stories in the city, or "urban legends" as he calls them ("Stoop Kid" was the first he told, while "Ghost Bride" was the last). He apparently gets these myths from a source he has nicknamed "Fuzzy Slippers", mentioned in many episodes as his reliable assistant. Until Arnold taught him, Gerald did not even know how to ride a bicycle ("Gerald's Secret"). Gerald's catchphrases usually were "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?", "You're a bold kid". But Gerald's interest in Urban legends gave him a fright in one episode ("Four-Eyed Jack") after Gerald said there's no such thing as ghosts, but at the end of the episode while Gerald is asleep, the ghost awakens him and says a simple "boo" before Gerald screams loudly. The ghost disappeared afterwards.
At school, Gerald is the class president ("Cool Party", "Mr. Green Runs"), and considers himself very cool, and apparently, so do his friends. When it was revealed that Arnold was on Rhonda's so-called "Cool List", and that Gerald was on her other list known as "The Geek List" (due to a grudge Rhonda had against him over running for class president), many classmates were surprised to find this out ("Cool Party"). He seems to know a great deal of children's street culture.
Gerald may be beginning to notice that Phoebe is paying more and more attention to him — and the feeling could be mutual, although Gerald does accept a date to a dance from an older girl in "6th Grade Girls". (There weren't any "Gerald and Phoebe" scenes in any of the second season episodes, but Phoebe has "that look" after Gerald's solo in "Gerald's Tonsils", and they're together throughout Rhonda's party in Hey Harold!".)
- Gerald's last name is spelled "Johanson" in the first season and "Johanssen" in the second season, although it's spelled "Johannsen" in the credits for "The High Life" and "Johansson" in the credits of the "Urban Adventures" tape; since Gerald signs it "Johanssen" in "The High Life", that's the spelling used here.
- Gerald's most distinct features are his hi-top fade (classmate Helga often calls him "Tall Hair Boy"), and his shirt with the number 33 on it (he also wears 33 on sports uniforms, a reference to Scottie Pippen).
- In the episode "Gerald's Tonsils" Gerald is a soloist of chorus, and in the episode "Arnold As Cupid" he's briefly seen playing violin.
- In Hey Arnold! The Jungle Movie, Gerald seems to already be aware of Helga's secret, as he grins knowingly with Phoebe while Helga stumbles trying to make an excuse for helping Arnold go to San Lorenzo.
- He's only the deuteragonist who is generally was best friend of Arnold, Not Helga because she was overarching antagonist and tritagonist which is separates her from the other two main characters, but actually was Arnold's girlfriend and arch-rival.
|The Loud House|
|Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles|
|Rugrats / All Grown Up!|
|The Ren & Stimpy Show|
|Rocko's Modern Life|
|Aaahh!!! Real Monsters|
|The Angry Beavers|
CatDog • Winslow T. Oddfellow • Lola Caricola • CatDog's Parents • Roachie • Mervis • Dunglap • Randolph Grant • Mr. Sunshine • Murray "The Mule" Marconi • Mean Bob • Fred the Flying Fish • Gorilla • Dunlapia • Mr. Sunspock • Mervania • Randolphoran • Lolita 7 • Tallula Headbank
|The Wild Thornberrys|
|As Told By Ginger|
|The Fairly OddParents||
Timmy Turner • Wanda • Cosmo • Poof • Sparky • Chloe Carmichael • Jorgen Von Strangle • Mr. Turner • Mrs. Turner • Tootie • Chester McBadbat • AJ • Tooth Fairy • Trixie Tang • Veronica • The Crimson Chin • Alternate Crimson Chins • Crash Nebula • Catman • Turbo Thunder • Flappy Bob • Mark Chang • Mama Cosma
|The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius||
Jimmy Neutron • Cindy Vortex • Carl Wheezer • Sheen Estevez • Goddard • Libby Folfax • Judy Neutron • Hugh Neutron • Granny Neutron • Zix, Travoltron and Tee • Nick Dean • Betty Quinlan • Ultra Lord • Jet Fusion
|My Life as a Teenage Robot|
|Avatar: The Last Airbender|
|Tak and the Power of Juju|
|Back at the Barnyard|
|The Mighty B!|
|The Penguins of Madagascar|
|Fanboy & Chum Chum|
|Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness|
|Sanjay and Craig|
|Pig Goat Banana Cricket|
|Welcome to the Wayne|
|Corneil and Bernie|
|The Secret Show|
|Dora the Explorer|
|Ni Hao, Kai-Lan|
|Eponymous Nick Jr. Heroes|
See Also: Cartoon Heroes