|“||Three weeks ago, if you had asked me to fight an alien robot, I would have said "No can do!" But I did it! Me! I'm still buzzing! Did you see how strong I was? There's probably not a jar in this world I can't open!||„|
|~ Ginormica to the group.|
|“||I wouldn't be that sure. And the name is Ginormica.||„|
|~ Ginormica before she puts an end to Gallaxhar.|
Ginormica (real name: Susan Murphy) is the overall main protagonist of the Monsters vs. Aliens franchise. She is a parody of the 50-foot Woman from the film of the same name.
She was voiced by Reese Witherspoon (who also portrayed Elle Woods in the Legally Blonde series, Vanessa Lutz in Freeway, Rosita in Sing, and Mrs. Whatsit in A Wrinkle in Time) in the movie and Riki Lindhome in the TV series. In the Japanese dub from the movie, she was voiced by Becky.
On her wedding day, Susan got hit by a meteor filled with a gooey substance called Quantonium and caused her to grow into a giant, and as her hair turned platinum blonde with pigment damage, she lost her identity, perhaps her very existence, to Ginormica, her new monster alter ego. She was sent to a secret monster prison and she and the other monsters were released to fight the villainous Gallaxhar.
Personality and Abilities
Somewhat meek and unassertive, she initially wants nothing more than to return to her old life, but gradually warms to her status as a giant. Due to her exposure to the meteor's radiation, she is very tall and strong, which helps her destroy Gallaxhar's weapons.
Susan is intelligent, sarcastic, comical (by the TV series), altruistic, friendly, loving, tender, caring, and is very sympathetic, nice and by the TV series, she has a good sense of humor. Susan is also a beautiful woman.
She was in love with a weatherman named Derek Dietl, but when she grew tall, he said it was over, causing Susan to stay away from him. After seeing him as the narcissist he is, she humiliates him during his interview with her.
If she loses focus, she changes size uncontrollably. Anyone can sometimes take advantage of Susan's morality. She also can't grow if there's a metal-binding on her. Ginormica can be disabled, albeit temporarily by electricity.
Susan has peach-colored skin, blue eyes, and brown hair (now platinum white due to her mutation). Her lips are reddish-pink. She is usually seen wearing a sleek, light-blue agent jumpsuit, a black belt with a silver buckle and white and orange-striped gray covered Converse sneakers. The suit has orange-colored stripes along the sides and orange pockets. As of the TV series she wears her hair in a ponytail with a gold-colored scrunchie, and red and white sneakers, along with a slight outfit change, no longer a dark grey (80%) but rather blue and hold shape with her grow/shrink patterns.
- Susan is the second female main protagonist of a Dreamworks movie (the first being Ginger from Chicken Run).
- Anne Hathaway, Amy Adams, Natalie Portman, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jessica Chastain, Génesis Rodríguez, Brie Larson, Karen Gillan, Kristen Wiig, Ellie Kemper, Rose Byrne, Emily Blunt, Gal Gadot, Kaley Cuoco, Lake Bell, Jennifer Aniston, Alison Brie, Elizabeth Olson, Scarlett Johansson, Anna Kendrick, Emma Roberts, Mandy Moore and Debby Ryan were considered for the role of Ginormica before Reese Witherspoon was cast.
- She was inspired by Nancy Archer, tragic character from Attack of the 50-Foot Woman, for the following reasons:
- Both were mutated to colossal size as results of exposure with extraterrestrial radiation (in Ginormica's case, Quantonium) and unable to revert to their normal sizes.
- Both were eventually cheated by their love interests, though Ginormica was only cheated after her mutation.
- Susan has the biggest butt in the entire franchise.