This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||Nature has an order. A Power to restore balance. I believe he is that power.||„|
|~ Serizawa describing Godzilla.|
|“||He fought for us. Died for us. He is not only proof that co-existence is possible. He is the key to it.||„|
|~ Serizawa before attempting to heal Godzilla.|
Godzilla, also dubbed Titanus Gojira, is one of the main kaiju protagonists of the MonsterVerse franchise alongside King Kong. He first appeared serving as one of the main protagonists of the 2014 film of the same name alongside Ford Brody. He also appeared as a cave painting in the 2017 film Kong: Skull Island. In the 2019 sequel Godzilla: King of the Monsters, he once again returns as the main kaiju protagonist. He reappears as the kaiju deuteragonist in the 2021 film Godzilla vs. Kong in which he fights both Kong and Mechagodzilla.
A colossal reptilian apex predator hailing from a time in Earth's past where surface radiation levels were considerably higher, Godzilla retreated deep underwater as this radiation declined to feed on the planet's natural geothermal radiation. Godzilla occasionally surfaced throughout history, inspiring some of humanity's mythology. In the 20th century, the advent of the nuclear age drew Godzilla to the surface along with the deadly Shinomura, attracting the attention of the American military, which carried out a campaign of nuclear strikes against the two clashing monsters in the South Pacific under the guise of nuclear testing.
While Shinomura was vaporized by the blast of the Castle Bravo hydrogen bomb, Godzilla survived and vanished up until 2014 when parasitic creatures from his time period dubbed MUTOs were unleashed and prepared to begin reproducing. Godzilla hunted the MUTOs down to San Francisco, where he engaged in a protracted battle which ended when he killed them both and returned to the ocean.
After subsequently slaying the MUTOs' mother, MUTO Prime, Godzilla disappeared into the depths of the ocean for five years, though Monarch kept tabs on him. When a group of eco-terrorists awakened his ancient nemesis Ghidorah from his icy tomb in Antarctica, Godzilla confronted the newly-awakened three-headed Titan. Ghidorah escaped their first battle, but Godzilla tracked him down to the waters off of Mexico and nearly defeated him in an underwater clash before being interrupted by the military's Oxygen Destroyer.
Godzilla retreated to his underwater lair to heal, but his rejuvenation was accelerated by the sacrifice of Dr. Ishiro Serizawa, who set off a thermonuclear warhead in his vicinity. Godzilla made his way to Boston for a final battle with Ghidorah, and with the help of Monarch and intervention of Mothra, was finally able to triumph. The surviving Titans who had been following Ghidorah congregated around Godzilla and submitted to him; accepting him as the king of the Titans.
Five years later, Godzilla began to attacking Apex Cybernetics facilities, with humanity assuming he had turned against them. When Godzilla intercepted a Monarch-Apex joint fleet and attacked Kong, the battle was broken up by depth charges and Godzilla left the scene after the remains of the fleet "played dead" by shutting down their power and he no longer deemed Kong a threat.
Godzilla headed to Hong Kong after he sensed Mechagodzilla being activated and drilled a hole into the Hollow Earth with his atomic breath, allowing Kong to intercept him. After a brutal battle, Godzilla defeated Kong before battling Mechagodzilla, but was soon overwhelmed. The combined might of Godzilla and Kong, as well as some human interference, managed to defeat Mechagodzilla. Godzilla subsequently acknowledged Kong as an ally and returned to the ocean.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Physical Appearance
- 3 Powers and Abilities
- 4 Relationships
- 4.1 Kaiju
- 4.2 Humanity
- 5 Audio Samples
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Navigation
Unlike previous iteration of the kaiju, MonsterVerse version of Godzilla was never demonstrated outright hostility towards humans every time he crossed paths with them, despite not being a gentle giant unlike his friend Mothra and Kong. Apparently having witnessed humanity's curious usage of nuclear power and even their destructive capabilities with it during the hunt for Shinomura beforehand, the kaiju opted to avoid needless conflict against them if he can help it, even when they initially perceive him as a threat and attacked him in some occasions. Although he was responsible for some human deaths and destruction throughout his hunt for two MUTOs, it was all simply the result of his overall size and collateral damage from the fight against the two Titans. Even the destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge during the aforementioned hunt could've been avoided had the military allowed him to find the way to get past on his own.
Godzilla does, however, display inquisitiveness toward humans in some occasions; he first noticed Ford Brody who apparently had something to do with MUTO couple abruptly leaving him for their ruined nest thus giving him an edge in fighting them before unknowingly saved Brody's life by killing the female MUTO. During Ghidorah's reign of terror over Earth's Titans, he sees Serizawa approaching him and placing his hand on his face and later, leaning forward to inspect Mark Russell as if deducing that he brought the former into his home along with the nuclear bomb that revitalized him. As much as he preferred to avoid pointless conflict against humanity and even cared with them through discouraging his fellow Titans from attacking human settlements upon becoming their alpha, the events of Godzilla vs. Kong confirmed that Godzilla indeed possesses the capacity to become more aggressive and violent as well as willingness to attack major human settlements if provoked, something Madison Russell acknowledged as it's not his nature to do so.
Godzilla's personality evokes that of "last samurai" archetype, a lone ancient warrior content with solitude and preferring not to be a part of the world but has to resurface when certain types of events force him to appear and set things right (in Godzilla's own case, the imbalance of the nature of his home planet) befitting Ishiro Serizawa's theory of him as the driving force to restore balance to nature. Whenever that balance is disrupted, Godzilla would go on his way fighting any aggressors who threatened it regardless of the odds. This, in turn, led to Monarch describing his behavior as that of a "protector", calling him an "ancient guardian of the natural world". Whenever Godzilla is not enraged and in combat, Monarch describes him as "slow, graceful, inquisitive even".
Godzilla's most notable relationships with other Titans are with MUTOs, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Kong. With Mothra, they are true allies, more so than their past iterations that were prone to be at odds with each other since their species have symbiotic relationships with one another. This was evident through Mothra's undying loyalty towards him when other Titans were coerced to serve Ghidorah and Godzilla himself, in turn, avenged her defeat at the hands of their common enemy. With MUTOs in general, he perceived them as an uneasy ally at best (as some MUTOs such as the one that appeared in the events of King of the Monsters do respect him) and both deadly pests and natural enemy at worst. In the case of Ghidorah and Kong, the two are Godzilla's fierce rivals as shown in various cave paintings for different reasons; whereas with the former their feud could be best described as the battle between light and darkness owing to the extraterrestrial Titan's malicious nature, Godzilla and Kong battled each other because of their species' long standing rivalry but the two nevertheless willing to put aside their difference in facing a common threat. At the end of their alliance, Godzilla and Kong seemed ready to resume their struggle but ultimately chose to make peace and forget their shared resentment with Godzilla letting Kong rule the Hollow Earth while the King of the Monsters continued to rule over the Earth.
Godzilla's capability of forgiveness and leadership best showcased upon becoming the alpha Titan once again; he spared Rodan despite the fact of the pterodactyl-like kaiju had previously served Ghidorah as his minion and severely injured Mothra as well as welcomed other Titans when they swear their allegiance to him. After Ghidorah's defeat, he steered away any Titans who got too close to human settlements. As revealed in Godzilla Dominion, the prequel comic to Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla had his fellow Titans return into dormancy upon sensing Ghidorah is still alive in some form, not wanting them inadvertently get into his way or worse, swayed by his revived nemesis once again and subsequently undo the very damage they undone together.
When he defeated Kong, whom he then considered a rival, Godzilla simply beat him into near-death as opposed of killing him outright both to ensure he maintained his Alpha Titan status and out of frustation over Kong who unknowingly and repeatedly deterred him in his search for the one who desecrated Ghidorah's remains. After the defeat of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla stopped seeing Kong as his enemy and the two parted ways, having gained mutual respect towards one another.
Godzilla retains the traditional depiction of the character; a massive, humanoid theropod-like creature with maple-shaped dorsal plates running across his spine, keloid scar-like scales, and standing upright not unlike the earlier artistic rendering of a Tyrannosaurus. Although, the MonsterVerse iteration of the character sports a more updated, realistic look befitting to his nature as a reptilian Titan naturally evolved to feed on and even channel atomic radiation instead of gaining such power through being irradiated by it: Most notably, Godzilla has a blocky head with separated nostrils, a bulky stature, more elephant/sauropod-like legs, more crocodilian-like keloid scales, and jagged dorsal plates (the plates' appearance later changed following his recovery from the fight against M.U.T.O Prime).
Lastly, he sports gills on the sides of his neck which allows him to swim indefinitely. Godzilla's eyes are a yellow color, and his teeth are small and not nearly as straightly lined up as many previous Godzilla incarnations. His claws are a black color while his tail is considerably longer than most designs, and becomes very thin and pointed at the end. In Godzilla: King of the Monsters, his tail is proportionately shorter compared to the rest of his body, although it is still longer than before, and ends with a rounded tip.
Whenever Godzilla charges his atomic breath, neon blue glow can be seen running from the tip of his tail. Should he use it in full-power in his subsequent appearances, his eyes, gills, nose, and mouth will glow also.
In his Burning Godzilla form, orange and red markings cover Godzilla's body while his eyes glow in the same color. Said markings will glow more intensely as the sign of him about to release his devastating thermonuclear pulses.
Powers and Abilities
- Reptilian Titan Physiology: As a Titan, particularly the alpha Titan, in resemblance to a reptile, Godzilla is incredibly powerful; as he possesses several physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of most other Titans. The only Titan who was capable of rivalling Godzilla in terms of "raw power"; was Ghidorah.
- Advanced Strength: Due to his gargantuan size, Godzilla possesses colossal amounts of immense physical strength as he is much stronger than most other Titans with only Ghidorah, Kong and Mechagodzilla rivalling him. He is capable of smashing through the Golden Gate Bridge (though it was mostly accidental), can toss the M.U.T.O.s around with ease, effortlessly shove the female M.U.T.O. backwards with his arms and lift MUTO Prime onto his back, despite her comparable size and weight to Godzilla. Godzilla is also proven to be strong enough to tear off one of Ghidorah's heads, spin around and throw his nemesis relatively easily and even pierce his chest with a single stomp in his burning form. The only Titan who was capable of rivalling Godzilla in terms of "physical strength" was Ghidorah and even he had much difficulty fighting Godzilla and was stated in the novelization and in the movie to have been trapped by him in Antarctica. Godzilla is also able to cause tsunamis just by going ashore despite his gigantic size. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla can cleave through and destroy navy battleships effortlessly. In an exchange of blows between himself and Kong, Godzilla was shown to be able to knock Kong off his feet and leave him dazed long enough that Kong required assistance from the navy and jets to get back into the fight. At one point, Godzilla is ensnared by both of Kong's arms in a bear hug and bitten, but he breaks the hold with the strength of Kong's left arm alone by simple grabbing the top of Kong's head with one hand and shoving him off with such force that Kong's arms were straightened from their curled and locked position and Kong was violently smashed against the sinking carrier, destroying it. In their battle in Hong Kong, Godzilla was able to repeatedly overpower Kong in the following such instances: he snatched Kong from his grip on his axe and the building with the strength of his arm and neck; when Kong held out his arm to keep Godzilla from grabbing his face, Godzilla grabbed Kong's arm and folded it up so forcefully that Kong's head is seen whipping back, and he later forces Kong backwards first with a charge and then a violent shove with one arm, despite Kong bracing against both attacks with both of his arms and legs. Godzilla could also swing and toss Kong several hundred feet away and smash through buildings easily, with the force of said swing being sufficient to break Kong's left arm with an audible crack. When he fought his robotic doppelgänger Mechagodzilla, Godzilla briefly matched his mechanical duplicate in strength by pushing it back after charging at the mecha, and managed to slam it through a nearby building with assistance from Kong.
- Advanced Durability: Godzilla's armored reptilian skin and advanced bodily tissues provide him much greater resistance to physical injury. It was stated that he survived exposure to the nuclear tests carried out in the South Pacific in the 1950s, even appearing to have withstood the detonation of Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, at Bikini Atoll while directly next to the bomb. He is also immune to conventional weaponry such as heavy gunfire, missiles, tank shells, and various others and is tough enough to survive constant beatings from the two M.U.T.O.s. Godzilla even can survive several vicious attacks from Ghidorah, including bites from the latter's three heads, several strikes from Ghidorah's gravity beams, being strangled and even a fall from thousands of feet after being airlifted, though he is still weakened by the sheer amount of pain caused by the impact. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was shown to withstand a punch from Kong, staggering only a bit. He is also shown to quickly recover after being stabbed by Kong's axe on his thigh and after he got knocked out by an explosion emitted by Kong's axe.
- Advanced Speed and Agility: In the water, Godzilla can reach up to 40 knots and on land, he is able to run at great speeds when charging at Ghidorah, running in a horizontal posture comparatively similar to that of a theropod dinosaur. He can even occasionally resort to walking and running on fours in an almost crocodilian-like fashion in order to quickly reach his opponents, shown during his fight against Kong. Though he can still be outmatched by faster and more agile opponents, Godzilla nonetheless is able to deliver quick counter-attacks against them, most notably when he slams the Winged M.U.T.O. into a skyscraper with his tail as soon as the latter is within his reach.
- Advanced Stamina: Godzilla's musculature is considerably efficient. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all, never needing to slow down during his battles with the M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong, and Mechagodzilla. Even when he is swimming in the water or journeying for hours to track down his enemies, Godzilla does not even seem to have any obvious signs of fatigue when he reaches his destination to prepare himself for battle.
- Advanced Endurance: Godzilla's endurance is shown to be high as he is capable of enduring powerful attacks from the M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong, and Mechagodzilla, able to fight with all his might while ignoring the pain from injuries sustained from combating either opponents.
- Advanced Lung Capacity: Godzilla has a lung capacity to hold his breath underwater for long periods of time.
- Advanced Senses: Like some reptiles, Godzilla is granted with acute senses, especially his sense of smell and hearing. He is able to track down the M.U.T.O.s' locations from the ocean by their mating calls and is also capable of sensing the presence of Ghidorah inside Mechagodzilla, prompting him to go on a hunt for his old enemy, recognizing the mecha as a threat to the balance of nature.
- Energy Absorption: Godzilla can absorb several different types of energy, particularly radiation. The more energy he absorbs, the stronger/more powerful his physical and supernatural attributes become.
- Self-Sustenance: As a Titan, Godzilla does not need to eat or sleep, but nevertheless must absorb energy for power-up or hastening recovery from his injuries.
- Telepathy: In Godzilla Dominion, Godzilla is capable of using telepathy, shown when he commanded the other Titans that were roaming all over the planet to rest after reclaiming one of his old lairs from Tiamat. However, according to the novelization, it is implied that he is using some sort of silent call to make Titans rest.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Due to the fact Godzilla can absorb energy, particularly radiation, he can heal/regenerate much faster, more extensively, and efficiently, depending on how serious his injuries are. He was completely healed following the battle of San Francisco, while it took him 5 years to completely heal from injuries inflicted on him by MUTO Prime.
- Longevity/Semi-Immortality: Godzilla's immense healing factor coupled with aforementioned self-sustenance and ability to absorb energy provide him with an incredibly long lifespan as he is capable of living for long periods of time seemingly without aging or weakening, thus has lived through the K-T extinction and remained physically unchanged for 100 million years. In addition of aging slower despite being 252 million years old and still retains the appearance of a giant bipedal reptile in his prime, Godzilla can practically live forever, though close-call instances such as exposure to the Oxygen Destroyer and his battle against Mechagodzilla confirmed that he can still be killed.
- Amphibious Nature: Although spending half of his life in the water and on land since he has an amphibious lifestyle, Godzilla can survive both underwater and on land as he possesses amphibious lungs and gills on his neck, thus making him an adept combatant in both environments. Godzilla has displayed as being able to stay and breath underwater indefinitely, although he is certainly more than capable of living on land since he still needs to breathe air and has to surface periodically in order to breathe. Godzilla even closes his gills when he is on land so that he can use his lungs.
- Thermal Vision: Like some reptiles, Godzilla is capable of using thermal vision to see another creature's body temperature, shown in his battle against Tiamat after her toxic vapor temporarily blinded him.
- Extreme Temperature Resistance: Godzilla is highly resistant to cold and freezing temperatures, especially in Antarctica when he is fighting Ghidorah. In his burning form, Godzilla is highly resistant to extreme heat as he is capable of withstanding burning temperatures.
- Nature Awareness: After Mothra's sacrifice to empower him, Godzilla has permanently gained a heightened awareness of the tectonic and atmospheric interactions of the planet as well as the Earth's early geothermal history.
- Symbiosis: Godzilla has a symbiotic relationship with Mothra as they are able to communicate using sonar over great distances, with Mothra using this ability to locate Godzilla and lead Monarch to his location to revive him. After Ghidorah disintegrates Mothra with his gravity beams, her life energy rains down into Godzilla, imbuing him with increased power that causes his skin to crack and glow orange while emitting incredibly intense heat. In this empowered state, Godzilla can utilize his powerful incendiary nuclear pulse, which manifests in the shape of Mothra's wings.
- Bio-Atomic Nature: Godzilla possesses natural bio-nuclear circulatory systems as with his species, instead of gaining it upon being irradiated by man-made nuclear which acts as the source of his nuclear-based powers. Activating when threatened, a neutron flux is triggered that travels up Godzilla's dorsal fins to nucleosynthetic chambers in his throat and explodes into his atomic breath. His radioactive signature also makes it easy for Godzilla to be followed and monitored.
- Atomic Breath: Godzilla's signature weapon is his atomic breath, a concentrated blue energy beam of powerful radiation which he can generate, create and project from his mouth. In the 2014 film, it is strong enough to bring down and incapacitate the Eight-Legged M.U.T.O. in two shots and he often uses it as a final blow on his opponent. The neon-blue glow on Godzilla's dorsal plates begins at the tip of his tail and goes all the way to the top of his neck in this film and to let the audience know when he was going to fire it, an electric humming sound is heard. His eyes and numerous orifices around his scales also glow neon-blue moments before and when he unleashes the beam from his mouth, though this only occurs if he is in perfect condition and not hampered by M.U.T.O.s' EMP field. In 2014, Godzilla only used his atomic breath as a last resort against opponents he can't physically overpower on his own, as the atomic breath that he demonstrated during his battle against the Eight-Legged M.U.T.O. and Winged M.U.T.O., the atomic breath was not released at full strength. In the graphic novel Godzilla: Awakening and later, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla was shown breathing a more intense and beam-like atomic breath, which could be stronger and as destructive as the atomic breath when he is in better condition. In Godzilla: King of the Monsters, after being revived by Monarch, a fully-powered Godzilla fires his attack and shows that the atomic breath can knock or push back opponents such as Ghidorah several times heavier than him. As of Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla's breath has grown more powerful, capable of easily destroying major human settlements not unlike his Heisei and Final Wars incarnations' versions as well as injuring Kong. A point-blank atomic ray, however, had never damaged Kong's battle axe. The breath is also shown, when fully charged, to be powerful enough to bore straight into the Earth's core.
- Thermonuclear Pulses: In Godzilla: Aftershock, Godzilla is capable of emitting a shockwave of atomic energy from his body, specifically from his then-shattered dorsal plates at will as a short-range attack. It is strong enough to send a kaiju around MUTO Prime's size sailing and crippling it at the same time if deployed from point-blank range. Godzilla in his burning form is even more powerful as three successive blasts of a nuclear pulse were able to destroy Ghidorah completely, except for his middle head, which Godzilla later disintegrated with his atomic breath. Godzilla only uses this out of complete desperation as it drains a lot of power.
- Genius-level Intellect/Master Tactician/Leader: Godzilla is amazingly intelligent as he displayed the ability to learn and strategize to solve problems at hand owing to his millennia-worth experience; throughout his fight against the M.U.T.O.s, he didn't just simply attack them head on, but he also studied their pattern and weaknesses. When he killed the male M.U.T.O. by impaling him against a nearby skyscraper with a swipe of his tail, Godzilla targeted vital part on said M.U.T.O. to ensure he will be unable to recover from his wounds. Upon discovering female M.U.T.O.'s susceptibility to his atomic breath and exhaustion from being overwhelmed at the same time, Godzilla blasted her mouth to incinerate her innards and save his energy reserves in process, effectively killing her from the inside out and decapitating her in process. In his fight against Ghidorah, he brought their fight underwater and would've won had the military not severely crippled him with the experimental Oxygen Destroyer and to everyone's horror, ensuring his said nemesis' escape (due to the latter's immunity) and brief dominance over other Titans across the world. In addition of combat, Godzilla also displayed his problem-solving intelligence; to avoid unnecessary conflict with others. He intimidated the personnel of Monarch's Castle Bravo base not to attack him when they get into his way for investigating the ORCA signal from Antarctica and later, detecting humans from a nearby submarine (particularly Mark Russell) observing him and having something to do with the sudden nuclear explosion that revitalized his systems before heading off to confront Ghidorah in Boston. He also acknowledged by the other Titans who submitted to him after Ghidorah's defeat, proving that Godzilla knows that the only way to win over them and put them in their place; was by defeating Ghidorah and reclaim his rightful place as there alpha. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla singles out Apex Cybernetics facilities to destroy while searching for Mechagodzilla, showcasing that he is capable of pinpointing exact groups of people that represent a threat to him. This is further demonstrated when the fleet escorting Kong opens fire on Godzilla to defend the primate Titan, causing Godzilla to attack it out of retaliation before battling Kong. However, he continues to avoid unnecessary conflict, as showcased when he ceases his assault once the fleet decides to "play dead" by shutting off their power, making Godzilla believe it is no longer a threat and leave the area. This is further demonstrated with his rematch with Kong in Hong Kong when Godzilla manages to overpower his rival but spares his life before leaving to continue searching for Mechagodzilla. During the following fight, he recognizes Kong as an ally and in turn assists him by tag-teaming Mechagodzilla and then powering Kong's axe with his atomic breath to deliver the killing blow against the mechanical Titan. After their battle, Godzilla acknowledges Kong and returns to the ocean without further conflict once again.
- Alpha Call: As the alpha Titan, Godzilla is able to let out a powerful call that can be heard by Titans all over the world and make them compliant to his commands. However, he lost this when his nemesis, Ghidorah bested him in the water; due to the fact that the military intervened. After killing Ghidorah once-and-for all, Godzilla regained his alpha call. As displayed by Ghidorah, this cry only works on lesser Titans and does not work on other Titans with their own alpha status; such as Godzilla himself, Mothra and Kong, who were unaffected by Ghidorah's cry.
- Advanced Combatant: Godzilla is an extremely skilled combatant, able to perform a variety of bites, scratches, tail swipes, grapples and stomps during his fights with the M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong and Mechagodzilla. His combat style is very similar to that of grizzly bears and Komodo dragons; which despite having powerful jaws and teeth, use their claws in combat.
- Advanced Bite: Godzilla has a particularly strong and powerful bite, either because of his sharp teeth, jaw-muscles, unusual jaw-structure or some other reason. Exactly what he can bite depends on the jaw-strength, resilience of his teeth/bite-surface and his shape.
- Quadrupedalism: Although he can stand upright in a bipedal manner, Godzilla, like all reptiles, can also run and walk on all four limbs in a quadrupedal manner, shown during his fight with Kong in Hong Kong.
- Master Swimmer: Due to being an amphibian and not a reptile, Godzilla, despite his enormous size, is an extremely skilled swimmer and can stay underwater for vast periods of time. In the water, he can propel his massive body by undulating his tail at great speed. Godzilla is also capable of swimming extremely quickly and eluding the United States Navy. Thanks to his aquatic adaptations, Godzilla is an extremely powerful combatant underwater.
- Prehensile Tail: Godzilla possesses a long prehensile tail that he can use to help balance himself, use as a formidable weapon or even use it to hold opponents in its grasp. He first used his tail as an improvised whip to kill the Winged M.U.T.O. by slamming him into a building with enough force, although he knocked it over by accident due to the impact of his tail swipe. When he is underwater, Godzilla is also capable of undulating his tail similar to crocodiles. During his fight with Ghidorah in Boston, Godzilla used his tail to knock back his rival, hitting Ghidorah with enough force to stagger him. Godzilla is also able to wrap his tail around Kong before dragging him into the depths of the ocean. Godzilla's tail is even muscular enough that Kong could not escape while coiled in it and only got free when Godzilla was distracted by depth charges, allowing Kong to swim back to the surface while Godzilla's grip was released. His tail was also powerful enough to destroy three warships escorting Kong with ease.
- Sharp Claws and Teeth: Godzilla has razor-sharp teeth which grant him an incredibly lethal bite and razor-sharp claws to rend through most materials, including bodily tissues of other Titans. With his teeth, he was able to bite into the bodies of the M.U.T.O.s as well as bite and rip off Ghidorah's left head during their underwater fight. With his claws, Godzilla managed to force MUTO Prime off of him by slashing her in the head during one of his battles with her, visibly drawing blood. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was capable of slashing through Kong's flesh after he knocked him over during their Hong Kong battle.
- Limited Durability: Although Godzilla's bodily tissues are resistant to damage, he does have his limits; for example, he was easily overwhelmed when both the M.U.T.O.s attacked at once, being unable to fight the female head-on and anticipate the male's attacks at the same time. Godzilla can also be outmatched in one-on-one combat by an enemy comparable or superior to him in size and strength, as observed in his encounters with MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla. MUTO Prime relies on her powerful forelimbs to stun Godzilla with a well-timed punch to the face, while also successfully drawing blood from him with the sharp claws on her smaller additional arms. MUTO Prime's sonic roar is also powerful enough to completely shatter his dorsal fins. MUTO Prime's speed allows her to escape before Godzilla can react, meaning MUTO Prime gradually weakens Godzilla over several encounters by attacking him and retreating before she sustains any damage herself. Monarch determines that Godzilla lost his battle against MUTO Prime in France, as he sustains numerous wounds while MUTO Prime escapes mostly unharmed. Godzilla is nearly infected by MUTO Prime's parasitic spores twice and only manages to survive and win their final battle in Montana due to Monarch's intervention. However, unlike in his battle with the M.U.T.O.s, Godzilla's battle with MUTO Prime leaves him with visible injuries all over his body, and he is only able to weakly limp away. Godzilla can also be outmatched against Ghidorah in physical combat on several occasions, seen when his foe is strong enough to restrain Godzilla with his serpentine necks and can pin him to the ground or lift him into the air. During his battle with Mechagodzilla, Godzilla was consistently outmaneuvered and overpowered by his mechanical counterpart, only avoiding death in a fashion similar to the female M.U.T.O. thanks to Kong's interference. While Godzilla proved himself superior to Kong in terms of sheer strength and durability, he was repeatedly outmaneuvered by the smaller Titan and was tricked by Kong when he threw a crane to distract him before pouncing on his larger rival from behind. He was also injured by Kong's axe when he swung his weapon into Godzilla's thigh, drawing blood.
- Limited Stamina: Despite his limitless stamina, Godzilla can still be worn out from extreme activities such as recurring fights against the M.U.T.O.s, Ghidorah and Kong. After killing the male M.U.T.O., Godzilla paused to catch his breath, only to be pinned under a collapsing skyscraper. After killing the female and roaring victoriously, Godzilla eventually lost consciousness and collapsed on the ground passed out before regaining consciousness the following morning. After Ghidorah stunned him by firing lightning from his wings, Godzilla showed visible exhaustion as he started going into "critical mass". Though he is still energized from his fight against Kong, Godzilla's exhaustion soon becomes a major problem when he faces Mechagodzilla afterwards.
- Gills: The least durable part of Godzilla's body are his gills on the sides of his neck. This was seen when the military shot at Godzilla's dorsal plates while he was rising out of the sea, but he didn't suffer any damage. When they fired at his gills, it caused Godzilla to panic and accidentally smash through the Golden Gate Bridge due to his ginormous size, since he was suffering from a lot of agony at the time before he resumes hunting the male M.U.T.O. This was also seen when Godzilla was being beaten down by the mated M.U.T.O. pair. At one point, he roared angrily at the female M.U.T.O., but her mate attacked him, and after that, he suffered extreme agony when the female M.U.T.O. slashed through his gills with her claws. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was briefly bitten on the gills by Kong during their underwater fight, showing that Kong's bite did hurt him quite a bit.
- Lackluster Size: While not inhibiting Godzilla in combat, his size can be exploited against his status as a hero, as he unintentionally causes destruction (such as creating a tsunami when he surfaces near Hawaii or when he charges right through the Golden Gate Bridge, cleaving it in half) as a byproduct. However, the destruction he inadvertently causes is of little concern to himself and is more of a danger to humans.
- Anti-Titan Weapons:
- Oxygen Destroyer: Godzilla is highly susceptible to an anti-Titan weapon known as the Oxygen Destroyer. Despite this, he was able to survive the exposure from a single blast; albeit it severely crippled him in the process, forcing him to retreat to his lair to restore his health before his heart stopped beating which would kill him of cardiac arrest.
- Mechagodzilla: Mechagodzilla is another anti-Titan weapon that can potentially kill Godzilla. Its main weapon, the proton scream, can counter Godzilla's atomic breath in addition of injuring him. It should be noted the reason how it easily overpowered Godzilla and even managed to burn his chest was because Godzilla already spent much of his energy to use his atomic breath extensively to drill into the Hollow Earth and battle Kong.
- Energy Overload: If Godzilla absorbs too much energy simultaneously, he will involuntarily explode, similar to an atomic bomb. However, since absorbing Mothra's life-force energy, this is no longer a weakness for Godzilla.
Godzilla has a symbiotic relationship with Mothra, as she is loyal only to the giant amphibious reptilian; even after Ghidorah became the alpha Titan. The two are capable of communicating with each other over long distances through sonar. Mothra sacrifices her life to save Godzilla and Godzilla expressed sadness upon watching his friend die.
Ghidorah was Godzilla's primary arch-nemesis as they fought over the course of history for the alpha Titan title (because Ghidorah wanted to use the Titans to destroy all life on Earth and Godzilla wanted the title to bring balance). He and Ghidorah were always bitter enemies. Ghidorah fights Godzilla three times over the course of the movie and becomes the new alpha Titan. However, Godzilla ends up killing Ghidorah for good and retaking his title as the alpha. Ghidorah comes back as Mechagodzilla and fights with Godzilla again.
Despite Kong and Godzilla being protectors of Earth, they were also ancient rivals due to their ancestors battling in an ancient war. In addition of learning about such conflict after reviewing ancient paintings of each other of his lair, he recognizes the ape Titan's potential to be his rival over the leadership of Titans since he attempts to challenge him to no avail during a brief visit to Skull Island in Godzilla Dominion. They eventually had their long-awaited confrontation at the sea during which Kong was sent to the Hollow Earth to seek for something to defeat Godzilla before he does more harm (despite Godzilla was only attacking Apex because he senses the presence of Ghidorah), leading Godzilla to mistakenly suspect Kong is working for Apex Cybernetics. After their first fight, Godzilla leaves when he thinks Kong lost, until they fight again in Hong Kong.
In the ensuing rematch, Kong gained the upper hand and beats Godzilla using an ancient axe with a dorsal fin of Godzilla's ancestor as the blade, but Godzilla defeats Kong using his own animal instincts (shown by walking on all fours in a crocodilian-like fashion). Godzilla roars at Kong to submit, but Kong lets out a roar of his own, showing he won't submit to Godzilla, thus earning his respect. Godzilla resumes his hunt for Ghidorah, but is too late to stop Apex from awakening the fallen one, who takes control of Mechagodzilla. After Godzilla was nearly killed by Mechagodzilla, Kong decided to save him when he realized that he and Godzilla have one thing in common: they both want to stop Apex from wiping out the Titans. After they team up, Godzilla used his atomic breath to supercharge the axe and allowed Kong to defeat Mechagodzilla.
After that, Kong drops his axe as a sign of peace, ending the feud between him and Godzilla, who roars at Kong in acknowledgment and returns to the sea, while Kong returns to the Hollow Earth to make it his new home.
Rodan served Ghidorah as his right-hand man when he became the new alpha Titan. While Rodan served Ghidorah in the final battle, Rodan and Godzilla never attacked or harmed each other during the fight. After Godzilla defeated Ghidorah, Rodan initially was going to fight Godzilla, but he glared at Rodan which forced him to bow down to Godzilla and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan. Rodan is forgiven by Godzilla and then becomes his new minion.
Mechagodzilla is a robotic clone of Godzilla and is the very reason of him opposing Apex Cybernetics in the first place. As its development involved in the use of Ghidorah's surviving skull and the use of the ORCA to replicate the same extraterrestrial Titan's alpha call, they alerted Godzilla, who set out to stop it, even if that means he had to lay waste upon Apex's facilities one by one and jeopardize his reputation in the eyes of humanity in the process. Despite his efforts, Apex Cybernetics managed to complete Mechagodzilla, but it soon quickly turned against its own creators due to Ghidorah's influence and even inherited the latter's hatred to Godzilla, shown when it brutalizes Godzilla while ignoring Kong. Godzilla on the other hand, hates Mechagodzilla for carrying the vestige of his fallen archenemy.
Dagon was Godzilla's predecessor and a member of his species. It's unclear whether the two met prior to the former's death.
A predatory Titan formed from multiple organisms, Godzilla fought these creatures before they were eliminated by the bombing of Bikini Atoll in 1954.
One of the two offspring of M.U.T.O. Prime that caused Dagon's death, Godzilla saw her as a threat to Earth's balance.
One of M.U.T.O. Prime's offspring that caused Dagon's death, Godzilla saw him as a threat to Earth's balance.
MUTO Prime is the queen of all M.U.T.O.s who Godzilla saw as a threat to Earth's balance.
Godzilla and the Six-Legged M.U.T.O. seem to have a respectful relationship. Unlike the other two M.U.T.O.s, the Six-Legged M.U.T.O. does not attack Godzilla, but instead bows to him to show how she respects and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan.
Behemoth is a Titan that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the extraterrestrial Titan's death. Behemoth and Godzilla are at least on good terms, being grateful to the latter after he saved him from Amhuluk.
Scylla is a Titan that was forced to server under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the extraterrestrial Titan's death. She and Godzilla's relationship become rocky somehow as the latter forced her to retreat for threatening a cargo ship that was carrying a nuclear weapon.
Methuselah was a Titan that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the extraterrestrial Titan's death.
Amhuluk accepts Godzilla as the alpha Titan and stands down when he breaks up his fight against Behemoth.
Na Kika was among Titans that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the extraterrestrial Titan's death. It was grateful for Godzilla who not only saved it from Titan traffickers, but also decimated them all as its abduction being part of a plot that could topple the balance of nature.
Tiamat is an aggressive, serpentine dragon-like Titan who becomes one of Godzilla's minions after the latter forces her to stand down in their confrontation.
Though they barely know each other at personal level, Godzilla and Serizawa nonetheless had a very touching relationship. Serizawa had studied the former for a long time and concluded him being the very force that can restore the balance of nature whenever it is disrupted. Serizawa also believes Godzilla is the key for humanity and Titans being able to coexist, thus gives his life to activate the nuclear bomb to fully revitalize the kaiju after getting crippled by the Oxygen Destroyer, a deadly weapon Ghidorah is immune of. The two eventually come face to face for the first time in which Serizawa bids Godzilla farewell before activating the bomb, killing him but allows Godzilla to fully recover at the risk of energy overload that fortunately negated in courtesy of Mothra. In Godzilla Dominion, it is revealed that Godzilla still remembered Serizawa and mourned for his death as much as with Mothra.
Godzilla noticed Ford Brody after the latter destroyed the MUTOs' nest, thus allowed him to turn the table of the fight against both kaiju and killed the male MUTO, indicating the human being responsible for their disorientation. Godzilla would unknowingly save Ford's life from the vengeful female MUTO later on.
- This is the second incarnation of Godzilla to be featured in an American-made film, after the TriStar Godzilla from the 1998 film.
- Unlike most previous incarnations; this version of Godzilla is portrayed as a protagonist/anti-hero, instead of as an antagonist.
- This is the most heroic incarnation of Godzilla so far.
- This incarnation of Godzilla's recent design is based on the original 1954 design, the ShodaiGoji suit from the original 1954 film, as director Gareth Edwards wanted to create a Godzilla design that's very modern, but still respects and resembles the design from the original Toho films.
- This incarnation of Godzilla's fighting style mostly resembles a bear and Komodo dragon and only use his atomic breath sparingly, contrasting to other incarnations who use the breath attacks more often. However, this changed in future films when he used his atomic breath more frequently against King Ghidorah and Kong.
- When Godzilla begins glowing for his climactic battle against his enemies, the way his dorsal plates light up with blue as he shoots his atomic breath is similar to Toothless, whose spines also light up with energy as he charges up and unleashes his plasma blasts.
- Coincidentally, both the 2014 Godzilla movie and How to Train Your Dragon 2 came out in 2014. Five years later, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World both came out in 2019. Just like the ending of Godzilla: King of the Monsters where Godzilla becomes the Alpha Titan after defeating Ghidorah, Toothless becomes the Alpha Dragon after defeating Drago's Bewilderbeast.
- This incarnation of Godzilla is one of the friendliest towards humans. Ironically, his copyright holder Toho Studios reverted Godzilla to his traditional unfriendly self in their 2010s domestic films for political and environmental purposes. His counterparts in Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy are metaphors for both the damage done by the United States for meddling in foreign affairs and the homeland disasters that struck Japan in the 2010s decade including the Tōhoku earthquake and Fukushima nuclear disaster, thus making him incredibly malicious and detrimental to the human race's fate.
- This incarnation of Godzilla also has a best dynamic with Mothra, unlike their previous incarnations who are prone to be at odds with one another as much as with humanity. Interestingly, Mothra's status as "Queen of the Monsters" suggested their relationship is more than just friends, resulting fans ship both kaijus (see relationships with Mothra section above for more information).
- In spite of Godzilla's huge size, he is very skillful at hiding from humans. After defeating the MUTOs and returning to the ocean at the end of the first movie in 2014, humans frantically searched for him but didn't find him until 2019.
- He is credited as himself in the sequel, despite T.J Storm is still credited for motion capture.
- It is implied that Godzilla possesses scars all over his body from what he received during many fights against other rival Titans that he fought in his lifetime.
- This is the first incarnation of Godzilla to possess gills, the other being the Godzilla from the Toho 2016 reboot, Shin Godzilla, except that the latter only had gills in his 2nd and 3rd forms, not the entire movie like the MonsterVerse Godzilla did. This allows Godzilla to sleep underwater, while Showa Godzilla slept on land.
- This incarnation of Godzilla is easily one of the, if not the, most powerful kaiju in the MonsterVerse franchise.