- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Godzilla from the MonsterVerse. The mainstream version can be found here: Godzilla.
|“||Nature has an order. A Power to restore balance. I believe he is that power.||„|
|~ Serizawa describing Godzilla.|
|“||He fought for us. Died for us. He is not only proof that co-existence is possible. He is the key to it.||„|
|~ Serizawa before attempting to heal Godzilla.|
Godzilla, also dubbed Titanus Gojira, is one of the main kaiju protagonists of the MonsterVerse franchise alongside Kong. He first appeared serving as one of the main protagonists of the 2014 film of the same name alongside Ford Brody. He also appeared as a cave painting in the 2017 film Kong: Skull Island. In the 2019 sequel Godzilla: King of the Monsters, he once again returns as the main kaiju protagonist. He reappears as the one of the two titular main kaiju protagonists (alongside Kong) of the 2021 film Godzilla vs. Kong in which he fights both Kong and Mechagodzilla. He is set to return in an untitled MonsterVerse TV series, documenting an era of time following his climactic battle with the MUTOs in 2014..
Unlike most previous incarnations, the MonsterVerse version of Godzilla is never outright hostile towards humans every time he crossed paths with them, despite not being a gentle giant like his friend, Mothra and Kong. Apparently having witnessed humanity's curious usage of nuclear power and even their destructive capabilities with it during the hunt for Shinomura beforehand, the amphibious reptile Titan opted to avoid needless conflict against them if he can help it, even when they initially perceive him as a threat and attacked him in some occasions. Although he was responsible for some human deaths and destruction throughout his hunt for two MUTOs, it was all simply the result of his overall size and collateral damage from the fight against the two Titans. Even the destruction of the Golden Gate Bridge during the aforementioned hunt could've been avoided had the military allowed him to find the way to get past on his own.
However, Godzilla does display inquisitiveness toward humans in some occasions; he first noticed Ford Brody who apparently had something to do with MUTO couple abruptly leaving him for their ruined nest thus giving him an edge in fighting them before unknowingly saved Brody's life by killing the female MUTO. During Ghidorah's reign of terror over Earth's Titans, he sees Serizawa approaching him and placing his hand on his face and later, leaning forward to inspect Mark Russell as if deducing that he brought the former into his home along with the nuclear bomb that revitalized him.
As much as he preferred to avoid pointless conflict against humanity and even cared with them through discouraging his fellow Titans from attacking human settlements upon becoming their alpha, the events of Godzilla vs. Kong confirmed that Godzilla indeed possesses the capacity to become more aggressive and violent as well as willingness to attack major human settlements if provoked, something Madison Russell acknowledged as it's not his nature to do so.
Godzilla's personality evokes that of "last samurai" archetype, a lone ancient warrior content with solitude and preferring not to be a part of the world but has to resurface when certain types of events force him to appear and set things right (in Godzilla's own case, the imbalance of the nature of his home planet) befitting Ishiro Serizawa's theory of him as the driving force to restore balance to nature. Whenever that balance is disrupted, Godzilla would go on his way fighting any aggressors who threatened it regardless of the odds. This, in turn, led to Monarch describing his behavior as that of a "protector", calling him an "ancient guardian of the natural world". Whenever Godzilla is not enraged and in combat, Monarch describes him as "slow, graceful, inquisitive even".
Godzilla's most notable relationships with other Titans are with MUTOs, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Kong. With Mothra, they are true allies, more so than their past iterations that were prone to be at odds with each other since their species have symbiotic relationships with one another. This was evident through Mothra's undying loyalty towards him when other Titans were coerced to serve Ghidorah and Godzilla himself, in turn, avenged her defeat at the hands of their common enemy. With MUTOs in general, he perceived them as an uneasy ally at best (as some MUTOs such as the one that appeared in the events of King of the Monsters do respect him) and both deadly pests and natural enemy at worst.
In the case of Ghidorah and Kong, the two are Godzilla's fierce rivals as shown in various cave paintings for different reasons; whereas with the former their feud could be best described as the battle between light and darkness owing to the extraterrestrial Titan's malicious nature, Godzilla and Kong battled each other because of their species' long standing rivalry but the two nevertheless willing to put aside their difference in facing a common threat. At the end of their alliance, Godzilla and Kong seemed ready to resume their struggle but ultimately chose to make peace and forget their shared resentment with Godzilla letting Kong rule the Hollow Earth while the King of the Monsters continued to rule over the Earth.
In Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla's capability of forgiveness and leadership best showcased upon becoming the alpha Titan once again; he spared Rodan despite the fact of the pterodactyl-like kaiju had previously served Ghidorah as his minion and severely injured Mothra as well as welcomed other Titans when they swear their allegiance to him. After Ghidorah's defeat, he steered away any Titans who got too close to human settlements.
In Godzilla Dominion and the prequel comic, Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla had his fellow Titans return into dormancy upon sensing Ghidorah is still alive in some form, not wanting them inadvertently get into his way or worse, swayed by his revived nemesis once again and subsequently undo the very damage they undone together.
In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla is proven to be extremely aggressive and violent towards humans and Titans alike; if he is provoked enough, when he discovered that Apex Cybernetics was (secretly) developing a weapon (Mechagodzilla) to kill not only him, but also his fellow Titans as well, he had to lay waste to Apex's facilities one by one without hesitation; although this resulted in his reputation being tarnished in the eyes of the human race in the process.
When Godzilla defeated Kong, whom he then considered a rival, Godzilla simply beat him into near-death as opposed of killing him outright both to ensure he maintained his alpha Titan status and out of frustration over Kong who unknowingly and repeatedly deterred him in his search for the one who desecrated Ghidorah's remains. After the defeat of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla stopped seeing Kong as his enemy and the two parted ways as allies, having gained mutual respect towards one another.
After Apex's CEO, Walter Simmons' crimes were exposed to the public; Godzilla's reputation completely repaired in the process; as the humans now the reason why he was attacking Apex's facilities.
Godzilla retains the traditional depiction of the character; a massive, humanoid theropod-like creature with maple-shaped dorsal plates running across his spine, keloid scar-like scales, and standing upright not unlike the earlier artistic rendering of a Tyrannosaurus.
Although, the MonsterVerse iteration of the character sports a more updated, realistic look befitting to his nature as a reptilian Titan naturally evolved to feed on and even channel atomic radiation instead of gaining such power through being irradiated by it: Most notably, Godzilla has a blocky head with separated nostrils, a bulky stature, more elephant/sauropod-like legs, more crocodilian-like keloid scales, and jagged dorsal plates (the plates' appearance later changed following his recovery from the fight against M.U.T.O Prime).
Lastly, Godzilla sports gills on the sides of his neck which allows him to swim indefinitely. Godzilla's eyes are a yellow color, and his teeth are small and not nearly as straightly lined up as many previous Godzilla incarnations. His claws are a black color while his tail is considerably longer than most designs, and becomes very thin and pointed at the end. In Godzilla: King of the Monsters, his tail is proportionately shorter compared to the rest of his body, although it is still longer than before, and ends with a rounded tip.
Whenever Godzilla charges his atomic breath, neon blue glow can be seen running from the tip of his tail. Should he use it in full-power in his subsequent appearances, his eyes, gills, nose and mouth will glow also.
In Godzilla's burning form, orange and red markings cover his body while Godzilla's eyes glow in the same color. Said markings will glow more intensely as the sign of him about to release his devastating thermonuclear pulses.
Powers and Abilities
- Reptilian Titan Physiology: As a Titan, particularly the alpha Titan, in resemblance to a reptile, Godzilla is incredibly powerful as he possesses several physical and supernatural attributes that surpasses that of other Titans. Godzilla is also the most powerful Titan in existence; rivaled only by the late Ghidorah in terms of "raw power".
- Advanced Strength: Due to his gargantuan size, Godzilla possesses colossal amounts of immense strength as he is far greater than that of his race, making him the strongest Titan to ever exist, even more than his predecessor Dagon. However, Titans of similar strength like MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong and Mechagodzilla can harm Godzilla and, potentially, kill him. He is capable of smashing through the Golden Gate Bridge (though it was mostly accidental), can toss the M.U.T.O.s around with ease, effortlessly shove the female M.U.T.O. backwards with his arms and lift MUTO Prime onto his back, despite her comparable size and weight to Godzilla. Godzilla is also proven to be strong enough to tear off one of Ghidorah's heads, spin around and throw his nemesis relatively easily and even pierce his chest with a single stomp in his burning form. The only Titan who was capable of rivalling Godzilla in terms of "physical strength" was Ghidorah and even he had much difficulty fighting Godzilla and was stated in the novelization and in the movie to have been trapped by him in Antarctica. Godzilla is also able to cause tsunamis just by going ashore despite his gigantic size. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla can cleave through and destroy navy battleships effortlessly. In an exchange of blows between himself and Kong, Godzilla was shown to be able to knock Kong off his feet and leave him dazed long enough that Kong required assistance from the navy and jets to get back into the fight. At one point, Godzilla is ensnared by both of Kong's arms in a bear hug and bitten, but he breaks the hold with the strength of Kong's left arm alone by simple grabbing the top of Kong's head with one hand and shoving him off with such force that Kong's arms were straightened from their curled and locked position and Kong was violently smashed against the sinking carrier, destroying it. In their battle in Hong Kong, Godzilla was able to repeatedly overpower Kong in the following such instances: he snatched Kong from his grip on his axe and the building with the strength of his arm and neck; when Kong held out his arm to keep Godzilla from grabbing his face, Godzilla grabbed Kong's arm and folded it up so forcefully that Kong's head is seen whipping back, and he later forces Kong backwards first with a charge and then a violent shove with one arm, despite Kong bracing against both attacks with both of his arms and legs. Godzilla could also swing and toss Kong several hundred feet away and smash through buildings easily, with the force of said swing being sufficient to break Kong's left arm with an audible crack. When he fought his robotic doppelgänger Mechagodzilla, Godzilla briefly matched his mechanical duplicate in strength by pushing it back after charging at the mecha, and managed to slam it through a nearby building with assistance from Kong. He is stronger than MUTO prime, who can cause earthquakes by punching the ground.
- Advanced Durability: Godzilla's armoured reptilian skin and advanced bodily tissues provide him much greater resistance to physical injury. It was stated that he survived exposure to the nuclear tests carried out in the South Pacific in the 1950s, even appearing to have withstood the detonation of Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, at Bikini Atoll while directly next to the bomb. He is also immune to conventional weaponry such as heavy gunfire, missiles, tank shells, and various others and is tough enough to survive constant beatings from the two M.U.T.O.s. Godzilla even can survive several vicious attacks from Ghidorah, including bites from the latter's three heads, several strikes from Ghidorah's gravity beams, being strangled and even a fall from thousands of feet after being airlifted, though he is still weakened by the sheer amount of pain caused by the impact. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was shown to withstand a punch from Kong, staggering only a bit. He is also shown to quickly recover after being stabbed by Kong's axe on his thigh, got knocked out by an explosion emitted by the simian Titan's weapon and even got punched by Kong on his wounded thigh. Godzilla can also endure Mechagodzilla's punches and kicks that have been charged with Hollow Earth energy, and could withstand a full-powered proton scream with his powerful skin, emitting a burn on his chest. Godzilla, like all Titans, can also survive Gravitational Inversion, a planet's worth of gravity reversed in a split second.
- Advanced Speed and Agility: In the water, Godzilla can reach up to 40 knots and on land, he is able to run at great speeds when charging at Ghidorah, running in a horizontal posture comparatively similar to that of a theropod dinosaur. He can even occasionally resort to walking and running on fours in an almost crocodilian-like fashion in order to quickly reach his opponents, shown during his fight against Kong. Though he can still be outmatched by faster and more agile opponents, Godzilla nonetheless is able to deliver quick counter-attacks against them, most notably when he slams the Winged M.U.T.O. into a skyscraper with his tail as soon as the latter is within his reach.
- Advanced Stamina: Godzilla's musculature is considerably efficient. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all, allowing him to fight longer durations against his formidable opponents such as M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla. Even when he is swimming in the water or journeying to track down his enemies, Godzilla does not even seem to have any obvious signs of fatigue until he reaches his destination to prepare himself for battle.
- Advanced Endurance: Godzilla's endurance is shown to be high as he is capable of enduring powerful attacks from the M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong, and Mechagodzilla, able to fight with all his might while ignoring the pain from injuries sustained from combating either opponents.
- Advanced Lung Capacity: Godzilla is capable of holding his breath underwater for an extended period of time without breathing.
- Advanced Senses: Like some reptiles, Godzilla is granted with acute senses, especially his sense of smell and hearing. He is able to track down the M.U.T.O.s' locations from the ocean by their mating calls, hunt down Ghidorah in Antarctica and is also capable of sensing the presence of his foe inside Mechagodzilla, prompting him to go on a search for Ghidorah, recognizing the mecha as a threat to the balance of nature.
- Advanced Vision: Godzilla possesses great vision, aiding him in fighting off against his foes and enabling him to locate things from far distances easily.
- Thermal/Infrared Vision: Like some reptiles, Godzilla is capable of using thermal vision to see another creature's body temperature, shown in his battle against Tiamat after her toxic vapor temporarily blinded him.
- Night Vision: Godzilla's vision is enhanced to help him see in the darker environment of both underwater and on land.
- Advanced Vision: Godzilla possesses great vision, aiding him in fighting off against his foes and enabling him to locate things from far distances easily.
- Energy Absorption: Godzilla can absorb several different types of energy, particularly radiation. The more energy he absorbs, the stronger/more powerful his physical and supernatural attributes become.
- Self-Sustenance: As a Titan, Godzilla does not need to eat or sleep, but nevertheless must absorb energy for power-up or hastening recovery from his injuries.
- Camouflage: In Godzilla: Awakening, Godzilla is capable of camouflaging himself to be able to blend into his surroundings, shown 250 million years ago when he made himself look like an island before getting disturbed by the Shinomura that landed near him.
- Telepathy: In Godzilla Dominion, Godzilla is capable of using telepathy, shown when he commanded the other Titans that were roaming all over the planet to rest after reclaiming one of his old lairs from Tiamat. However, according to the novelization, it is implied that he is using some sort of silent call to make Titans rest.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: Due to the fact Godzilla can absorb energy such as radiation, he, despite his body's resistance, can sustain physical injury. If injured, his metabolism enables him to rapidly regenerate damaged bodily tissue faster, depending on how serious his wounds are. He was completely healed following his battle with the M.U.T.O.s in San Francisco, while it took him 5 years to completely heal from his injuries inflicted on him by MUTO Prime.
- Longevity/Semi-Immortality: Godzilla's immense healing factor coupled with aforementioned self-sustenance and ability to absorb energy provide him with an incredibly long lifespan as he is capable of living for long periods of time seemingly without aging or weakening, thus has lived through the K-T extinction and remained physically unchanged for 100 million years. In addition of aging slower despite being 252 million years old and still has the physical appearance of a giant reptile in his prime, Godzilla can practically live forever, though close-call instances such as exposure to the Oxygen Destroyer and his battle against Mechagodzilla confirmed that he can still be killed.
- Amphibious Nature: Although spending half of his life in the water and on land since he has an amphibious lifestyle, Godzilla can survive both underwater and on land as he possesses amphibious lungs and gills on his neck, thus making him an adept combatant in both environments. Godzilla has displayed as being able to stay and breath underwater indefinitely, although he is certainly more than capable of living on land since he still needs to breathe air and has to surface periodically in order to breathe. Godzilla even closes his gills when he is on land so that he can use his lungs.
- Underwater Breathing: Considering he is an amphibian and not a reptile, Godzilla is able to breathe while underwater.
- Extreme Temperature Resistance: Godzilla is highly resistant to cold and freezing temperatures, especially in Antarctica when he is fighting Ghidorah. In his burning form, Godzilla is highly resistant to extreme heat as he is capable of withstanding burning temperatures.
- Nature Awareness: After Mothra's sacrifice to empower him, Godzilla has permanently gained a heightened awareness of the tectonic and atmospheric interactions of the planet as well as the Earth's early geothermal history.
- Symbiosis: Godzilla has a symbiotic relationship with Mothra as they are able to communicate using sonar over great distances, with Mothra using this ability to locate Godzilla and lead Monarch to his location to revive him. After Ghidorah disintegrates Mothra with his gravity beams, her life energy rains down into Godzilla, imbuing him with increased power that causes his skin to crack and glow orange while emitting incredibly intense heat. In this empowered state, Godzilla can utilize his powerful incendiary nuclear pulse, which manifests in the shape of Mothra's wings.
- Bio-Atomic Nature: Godzilla possesses natural bio-nuclear circulatory systems as with his species, instead of gaining it upon being irradiated by man-made nuclear which acts as the source of his nuclear-based powers. Activating when threatened, a neutron flux is triggered that travels up Godzilla's dorsal fins to nucleosynthetic chambers in his throat and explodes into his atomic breath. His radioactive signature also makes it easy for Godzilla to be followed and monitored.
- Atomic Breath: Godzilla's most prominent ability and main weapon of choice is his atomic breath, powerful energy that he generates inside of his body, uses electromagnetic force to concentrate it into a laser-like high velocity projectile and unleashes it from his jaws in the form of a blue radioactive energy beam. In the 2014 film, his atomic breath is strong enough to bring down and incapacitate the Eight-Legged M.U.T.O. in two shots and he often uses it as a final blow on his opponent. The neon-blue glow on Godzilla's dorsal plates begins at the tip of his tail and goes all the way to the top of his neck in this film and to let the audience know when he was going to fire it, an electric humming sound is heard. His eyes and numerous orifices around his scales also glow neon-blue moments before and when he unleashes the beam from his mouth, though this only occurs if he is in perfect condition and not hampered by M.U.T.O.s' EMP field. In 2014, Godzilla only used his atomic breath as a last resort against opponents he can't physically overpower on his own, as the atomic breath that he demonstrated during his battle against the Eight-Legged M.U.T.O. and Winged M.U.T.O., the atomic breath was not released at full strength. In the graphic novel Godzilla: Awakening and later, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla was shown breathing a more intense and beam-like atomic breath, which could be stronger and as destructive as the atomic breath when he is in better condition. In Godzilla: King of the Monsters, after being revived by Monarch, a fully-powered Godzilla fires his attack and shows that the atomic breath can knock or push back opponents such as Ghidorah several times heavier than him. As of Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla's breath has grown more powerful, capable of easily destroying major human settlements not unlike his Heisei and Final Wars incarnations' versions as well as injuring Kong. A point-blank atomic ray, however, had never damaged Kong's battle axe. The breath is also shown, when fully charged, to be powerful enough to bore straight into the Earth's core. His atomic breath may be strong enough to destroy the universe, since it may be strong enough to overpower Mechagodzilla's proton scream, which can do the same.
- Thermonuclear Pulses: In Godzilla: Aftershock, Godzilla is capable of emitting a shockwave of atomic energy from his body, specifically from his then-shattered dorsal plates at will as a short-range attack. It is strong enough to send a kaiju around MUTO Prime's size sailing and crippling it at the same time if deployed from point-blank range. Godzilla in his burning form is even more powerful as three successive blasts of a nuclear pulse were able to destroy Ghidorah completely, except for his middle head, which Godzilla later disintegrated with his atomic breath. Godzilla only uses this out of complete desperation as it drains a lot of power.
- Genius-level Intellect/Master Tactician/Leader: Godzilla is amazingly intelligent as he displayed the ability to learn and strategize to solve problems at hand owing to his millennia-worth experience; throughout his fight against the M.U.T.O.s, he didn't just simply attack them head on, but he also studied their pattern and weaknesses. When he killed the male M.U.T.O. by impaling him against a nearby skyscraper with a swipe of his tail, Godzilla targeted vital part on said M.U.T.O. to ensure he will be unable to recover from his wounds. Upon discovering female M.U.T.O.'s susceptibility to his atomic breath and exhaustion from being overwhelmed at the same time, Godzilla blasted her mouth to incinerate her innards and save his energy reserves in process, effectively killing her from the inside out and decapitating her in process. In his fight against Ghidorah, he brought their fight underwater and would've won had the military not severely crippled him with the experimental Oxygen Destroyer and to everyone's horror, ensuring his said nemesis' escape (due to the latter's immunity) and brief dominance over other Titans across the world. In addition of combat, Godzilla also displayed his problem-solving intelligence; to avoid unnecessary conflict with others. He intimidated the personnel of Monarch's Castle Bravo base not to attack him when they get into his way for investigating the ORCA signal from Antarctica and later, detecting humans from a nearby submarine (particularly Mark Russell) observing him and having something to do with the sudden nuclear explosion that revitalized his systems before heading off to confront Ghidorah in Boston. He also acknowledged by the other Titans who submitted to him after Ghidorah's defeat, proving that Godzilla knows that the only way to win over them and put them in their place; was by defeating Ghidorah and reclaim his rightful place as there alpha. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla singles out Apex Cybernetics facilities to destroy while searching for Mechagodzilla, showcasing that he is capable of pinpointing exact groups of people that represent a threat to him. This is further demonstrated when the fleet escorting Kong opens fire on Godzilla to defend the primate Titan, causing Godzilla to attack it out of retaliation before battling Kong. However, he continues to avoid unnecessary conflict, as showcased when he ceases his assault once the fleet decides to "play dead" by shutting off their power, making Godzilla believe it is no longer a threat and leave the area. This is further demonstrated with his rematch with Kong in Hong Kong when Godzilla manages to overpower his rival but spares his life before leaving to continue searching for Mechagodzilla. During the following fight, he recognizes Kong as an ally and in turn assists him by tag-teaming Mechagodzilla and then powering Kong's axe with his atomic breath to deliver the killing blow against the mechanical Titan. After their battle, Godzilla acknowledges Kong and returns to the ocean without further conflict once again.
- Alpha Call: As the alpha Titan, Godzilla is able to let out a powerful call that can be heard by Titans all over the world and make them compliant to his commands. However, he lost this when his nemesis, Ghidorah bested him in the water; due to the fact that the military intervened. After killing Ghidorah once-and-for all, Godzilla regained his alpha call. As displayed by Ghidorah, this cry only works on lesser Titans and does not work on other Titans with their own alpha status; such as Godzilla himself, Mothra and Kong, who were unaffected by Ghidorah's cry.
- Advanced Combatant: Godzilla is an extremely skilled combatant, able to perform a variety of bites, scratches, tail swipes, grapples and stomps during his fights with the M.U.T.O.s, MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, Kong and Mechagodzilla. His combat style is very similar to that of grizzly bears and Komodo dragons; which despite having powerful jaws and teeth, use their claws in combat.
- Advanced Bite: Godzilla has a particularly strong and powerful bite, either because of his sharp teeth, jaw-muscles, unusual jaw-structure or some other reason. Exactly what he can bite depends on the jaw-strength, resilience of his teeth/bite-surface and his shape.
- Stealth: Despite his prodigious size, Godzilla is shown to be stealthy, as he was somehow able to sneak up on the female M.U.T.O. without being noticed just as she was about to kill Ford Brody. In the water, he was also able to sneak up on Ghidorah just as he was about to attack Monarch's aircraft, the USS Argo.
- Master Swimmer: Godzilla, despite his enormous size, is an extremely skilled swimmer and can stay underwater for vast periods of time. In the water, he can propel his massive body by undulating his tail at great speed. Godzilla is also capable of swimming extremely quickly and eluding the United States Navy. Thanks to his aquatic adaptations, Godzilla is an extremely powerful combatant underwater.
- Prehensile Tail: Godzilla possesses a long prehensile tail that he can use to help balance himself, use as a formidable weapon, use it to hold opponents in its grasp and even uses it to smack his adversaries. He first used his tail as an improvised whip to kill the Winged M.U.T.O. by slamming him into a building with enough force, although he knocked it over by accident due to the impact of his tail swipe. When he is underwater, Godzilla is also capable of undulating his tail similar to crocodiles. During his fight with Ghidorah in Boston, Godzilla used his tail to knock back his rival, hitting Ghidorah with enough force to stagger him. Godzilla is also able to wrap his tail around Kong before dragging him into the depths of the ocean. Godzilla's tail is even muscular enough that Kong could not escape while coiled in it and only got free when Godzilla was distracted by depth charges, allowing Kong to swim back to the surface while Godzilla's grip was released. His tail was also powerful enough to destroy three warships escorting Kong with ease. In Godzilla Dominion, Godzilla's tail is strong enough to send Scylla bouncing across the ocean like a stone skipping on water.
- Sharp Claws and Teeth: Godzilla has razor-sharp teeth which grant him an incredibly lethal bite and razor-sharp claws to rend through most materials, including bodily tissues of other Titans. With his teeth, he was able to bite into the bodies of the M.U.T.O.s as well as bite and rip off Ghidorah's left head during their underwater fight. With his claws, Godzilla managed to force MUTO Prime off of him by slashing her in the head during one of his battles with her, visibly drawing blood. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was capable of slashing through Kong's flesh after he knocked him over during their Hong Kong battle.
- Limited Durability: Although Godzilla's bodily tissues are resistant to damage, he does have his limits; for example, he was easily overwhelmed when both the M.U.T.O.s attacked at once, being unable to fight the female head-on and anticipate the male's attacks at the same time. Godzilla can also be outmatched in one-on-one combat by an enemy comparable or superior to him in size and strength, as observed in his encounters with MUTO Prime, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla. MUTO Prime relies on her powerful forelimbs to stun Godzilla with a well-timed punch to the face, while also successfully drawing blood from him with the sharp claws on her smaller additional arms. MUTO Prime's sonic roar is also powerful enough to completely shatter his dorsal fins. MUTO Prime's speed allows her to escape before Godzilla can react, meaning MUTO Prime gradually weakens Godzilla over several encounters by attacking him and retreating before she sustains any damage herself. Monarch determines that Godzilla lost his battle against MUTO Prime in France, as he sustains numerous wounds while MUTO Prime escapes mostly unharmed. Godzilla is nearly infected by MUTO Prime's parasitic spores twice and only manages to survive and win their final battle in Montana due to Monarch's intervention. However, unlike in his battle with the M.U.T.O.s, Godzilla's battle with MUTO Prime leaves him with visible injuries all over his body, and he is only able to weakly limp away. Godzilla can also be outmatched against Ghidorah in physical combat on several occasions, seen when his foe is strong enough to restrain Godzilla with his serpentine necks and can pin him to the ground or lift him into the air. During his battle with Mechagodzilla, Godzilla was consistently outmaneuvered and overpowered by his mechanical counterpart, only avoiding death in a fashion similar to the female M.U.T.O. thanks to Kong's interference. While Godzilla proved himself superior to Kong in terms of sheer strength and durability, he was repeatedly outmaneuvered by the smaller Titan and was tricked by Kong when he threw a crane to distract him before pouncing on his larger rival from behind. He was also injured by Kong's axe when he swung his weapon into Godzilla's thigh, drawing blood.
- Limited Stamina: Godzilla can still be worn out from extreme activities such as recurring fights against the M.U.T.O.s, Ghidorah and Kong. After killing the male M.U.T.O., Godzilla paused to catch his breath, only to be pinned under a collapsing skyscraper. After killing the female and roaring victoriously, Godzilla eventually lost consciousness and collapsed on the ground passed out before regaining consciousness the following morning. After Ghidorah stunned him by firing lightning from his wings, Godzilla showed visible exhaustion as he started going into "critical mass". Though he is still energized from his fight against Kong, Godzilla's exhaustion soon becomes a major problem when he faces Mechagodzilla afterwards.
- Gills: The least durable part of Godzilla's body are his gills on the sides of his neck. This was seen when the military shot at Godzilla's dorsal plates while he was rising out of the sea, but he didn't suffer any damage. When they fired at his gills, it caused Godzilla to panic and accidentally smash through the Golden Gate Bridge due to his ginormous size, since he was suffering from a lot of agony at the time before he resumes hunting the male M.U.T.O. This was also seen when Godzilla was being beaten down by the mated M.U.T.O. pair. At one point, he roared angrily at the female M.U.T.O., but her mate attacked him, and after that, he suffered extreme agony when the female M.U.T.O. slashed through his gills with her claws. In Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla was briefly bitten on the gills by Kong during their underwater fight, showing that Kong's bite did hurt him quite a bit.
- Lackluster Size: While not inhibiting Godzilla in combat, his size can be exploited against his status as a hero, as he unintentionally causes destruction (such as creating a tsunami when he surfaces near Hawaii or when he charges right through the Golden Gate Bridge, cleaving it in half) as a byproduct. However, the destruction he inadvertently causes is of little concern to himself and is more of a danger to humans.
- Anti-Titan Weapons:
- Oxygen Destroyer: Godzilla is highly susceptible to an anti-Titan weapon known as the Oxygen Destroyer. Despite this, he was able to survive the exposure from a single blast; albeit it severely crippled him in the process, forcing him to retreat to his lair to restore his health before his heart stopped beating which would kill him of cardiac arrest.
- Mechagodzilla: Mechagodzilla is another anti-Titan weapon that can potentially kill Godzilla. It's main weapon, the proton scream can counter Godzilla's atomic breath in addition of injuring him. It should be noted the reason how it easily overpowered Godzilla and even managed to burn his chest was because Godzilla already spent much of his energy to use his atomic breath extensively to drill into the Hollow Earth and battle Kong.
- Energy Overload: If Godzilla absorbs too much energy simultaneously; he will involuntarily explode; similar to an atomic bomb. But after absorbing Mothra's life-force energy; this is no longer a weakness for Godzilla.
Godzilla has a symbiotic relationship with Mothra, as she is loyal only to him even after Ghidorah became the alpha Titan. The two are capable of communicating with each other over long distances through sonar. Mothra sacrifices her life to save Godzilla and Godzilla expressed sadness upon watching his friend die.
Ghidorah was Godzilla's primary arch-nemesis as they fought over the course of history for the alpha Titan title (because Ghidorah wanted to use the Titans to destroy all life and Godzilla wanted the title to bring balance) he and Ghidorah were always bitter enemies. Ghidorah fights Godzilla three times and becomes the new alpha Titan. However, Godzilla ends up killing Ghidorah for good and retakes his title as the alpha. Ghidorah comes back as Mechagodzilla and fights Godzilla again.
Despite Kong and Godzilla being protectors of the Earth, they are also ancient rivals; due to their ancestors battling in an ancient war. In addition of learning about such conflict after reviewing ancient paintings of each other of his lair, he recognizes the ape Titan's potential to be his rival over the leadership of Titans since he attempts to challenge him to no avail during a brief visit to Skull Island in Godzilla Dominion. They eventually had their long-awaited confrontation at the sea during which Kong was sent to the Hollow Earth to seek for something to defeat Godzilla before he does more harm (despite Godzilla was only attacking Apex because he senses the presence of Ghidorah), leading Godzilla to mistakenly suspect Kong is working for Apex Cybernetics. After their first fight, Godzilla leaves when he thinks Kong lost, until they fight again in Hong Kong.
In the ensuing rematch, Kong (initially) gained the upper hand and beats Godzilla using an ancient axe with a dorsal fin of one of Godzilla's ancestor as the blade, but Godzilla overpowers Kong using his own animal instincts (as seen by him walking on all fours in a crocodilian-like fashion) Godzilla roars at Kong to submit, but Kong lets out a roar of his own, proving that he won't submit to Godzilla, thus earning his respect. Godzilla resumes his hunt for Ghidorah, but is too late to stop Apex from awakening the fallen one, who takes control of Mechagodzilla. After Godzilla was nearly killed by Mechagodzilla, Kong decided to save him when he realized that he and Godzilla have one thing in common; they both want to stop Apex from wiping out the Titans. After they team up, Godzilla used his atomic breath to supercharge the axe and allowed Kong to defeat Mechagodzilla.
After that, Kong drops his axe as a sign of peace, ending the feud between him and Godzilla, who roars at Kong in acknowledgment and returns to the sea, while Kong returns to Hollow Earth to make it his new home.
Rodan served Ghidorah as his second-in-command when he became the new alpha Titan. While Rodan served Ghidorah in the final battle, Rodan and Godzilla never attacked or harmed each other during the fight. After Godzilla defeated Ghidorah, Rodan (initially) was going to fight Godzilla, but he glared at Rodan which forced him to bow down to Godzilla and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan. Rodan is forgiven by Godzilla and then begins to serve him.
Mechagodzilla is a robotic clone of Godzilla and is the very reason of him opposing Apex Cybernetics in the first place. As it's development involved in the use of Ghidorah's surviving skull and the use of the ORCA to replicate the same extra-terrestrial Titan's alpha call, they alerted Godzilla, who set out to stop it, even if that means he had to lay waste upon Apex's facilities one by one and jeopardize his reputation in the eyes of the human race in the process. Despite his efforts, Apex Cybernetics managed to complete Mechagodzilla, but it soon quickly turned against its own creators due to Ghidorah's influence and even inherited the latter's hatred to Godzilla, as seen when it brutalizes Godzilla while ignoring Kong. Godzilla on the other hand, hates Mechagodzilla for carrying the vestige of his fallen arch-enemy.
Dagon was Godzilla's predecessor and a member of his species. It's unclear whether the two met; prior to the former's death.
A predatory Titan formed from multiple organisms, Godzilla fought these creatures before they were eliminated by the bombing of Bikini Atoll in 1954.
One of the two offspring of M.U.T.O. Prime responsible for Dagon's death, Godzilla saw her as a threat to Earth's balance.
One of M.U.T.O. Prime's offspring responsible for Dagon's death, Godzilla saw him as a threat to Earth's balance.
MUTO Prime is the queen of all M.U.T.O.s who Godzilla saw as a threat to Earth's balance.
Godzilla and the Six-Legged M.U.T.O. seem to have a respectful relationship. Unlike the other two M.U.T.O.s, the Six-Legged M.U.T.O. does not attack Godzilla, but instead bows to him to show how she respects and acknowledge him as the rightful alpha Titan.
Behemoth is a Titan that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the extra-terrestrial Titan's death. Behemoth and Godzilla are at least on good terms, being grateful to the latter after he saved him from Amhuluk.
Scylla is a Titan that was forced to server under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following the dragon Titan's death. She and Godzilla's relationship become rocky somehow as the latter forced her to retreat for threatening a cargo ship that was carrying a nuclear weapon.
Methuselah was a Titan that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following his death.
Amhuluk accepts Godzilla as the alpha Titan and stands down when he breaks up his fight against Behemoth.
Na Kika was among Titans that was forced to serve under Ghidorah before opted to obey Godzilla following his death. It was grateful for Godzilla who not only saved it from Titan traffickers, but also decimated them all as its abduction being part of a plot that could topple the balance of nature.
Tiamat is an aggressive, serpentine dragon-like Titan who becomes one of Godzilla's friends after the latter forces her to stand down in their confrontation.
Although Godzilla and Serizawa barely know each other at personal level, they still had a very touching relationship. Serizawa had studied the Titan for a long time and concluded him being the very force that can restore the balance of nature whenever it is disrupted. Serizawa also believes Godzilla is the key for humans and Titans to be able to co-exist, thus gives his life to activate the nuclear bomb to completely revitalize Godzilla after getting crippled by the Oxygen Destroyer, a deadly weapon that Ghidorah is immune of. The two eventually come face-to-face for the first time in which Godzilla allowed Serizawa to touch his face as the latter bids farewell before activating the bomb, killing him and allowing Godzilla to completely recover at the risk of energy overload that fortunately negated in courtesy of Mothra. In Godzilla Dominion, it is revealed that Godzilla still remembered Serizawa and mourned for his death as much as with Mothra.
Godzilla briefly caught a glimpse of Ford after the latter destroyed the MUTOs' nest, thus allowed him to turn the table of the fight against both Titans and killed the male MUTO, indicating the human responsible for their disorientation. Godzilla would later on unknowingly save Ford's life from the vengeful female MUTO.
Godzilla first met Emma during his confrontation against the M.U.T.O.s in San Francisco, albeit he did not have any direct interaction with each other. When Emma saw Godzilla for the first time, she was (initially) terrified of him, but overtime, she came to respect the Titan, as her opinion matches that of Serizawa's, who sees him as a force of nature to restore balance. Although Godzilla was indirectly responsible for the death of her son, Andrew, Emma does not hold a grudge against him, as she knows that Andrew's death was (genuinely) an accident, as he was just in the wrong place, at the wrong time, something that her ex-husband, Mark was (initially) unable to accept.
In 2019, Emma began using a device known as the "ORCA" that she invented to awaken the Titans who have been in hibernation as she believes that Godzilla, along with his fellow Titans would be able to save Earth from destruction, as well as the human race from extinction. Unfortunately, Emma had (unknowingly) awakened Ghidorah, an extraterrestrial Titan who was malevolent in nature. Unlike other Titans who are benevolent or neutral, Ghidorah also happens to be Godzilla's archenemy.
During Godzilla's third and final confrontation against in Ghidorah in Boston, he became (temporarily) incapacitated after he was dropped thousands of feet off the ground by Ghidorah. After Emma repairs the ORCA, she uses it to distract Ghidorah long enough for Godzilla to recover and sacrifices herself in the process. Unfortunately, Emma was severely injured by Ghidorah, but before succumbs to her injuries, she defiantly stated "long live the king", proving just how much Emma truly respected Godzilla. Godzilla avenged Emma's death when he kills Ghidorah for good by achieving a burning form. Despite Emma's death, Godzilla finishes what she started, but instead of having the planet reset back to it's natural order, he instead forced his fellow Titans to undo the wrongdoings of the human race by repairing all the damage caused to Earth.
- This is the second incarnation of Godzilla to be featured in an American-made film, after the TriStar Godzilla from the 1998 film.
- Unlike most other previous incarnations; this version of Godzilla is portrayed as a protagonist/anti-hero; instead of as an antagonist.
- This is the most heroic incarnation of Godzilla so far, alongside the Showa incarnation.
- In each of the films that Godzilla has appears in, his atomic breath's appearance changes:
- In the 2014 film, Godzilla, his atomic breath physically resembles a fire-like breath.
- In the 2019 film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, his atomic breath physically resembles a laser-like beam.
- In the 2021 film, Godzilla vs. Kong, his atomic breath physically resembles a heat ray.
- This incarnation of Godzilla's recent design is based on the original 1954 design, the ShodaiGoji suit from the original 1954 film, as director Gareth Edwards wanted to create a Godzilla design that's very modern, but still respects and resembles the design from the original Toho films.
- This incarnation of Godzilla's fighting style mostly resembles a bear and Komodo dragon and only use his atomic breath sparingly, contrasting to other incarnations who use the breath attacks more often. However, this changed in future films when he used his atomic breath more frequently against King Ghidorah and Kong.
- This is the second incarnation of Godzilla to use his tail to grapple or wrap around Monsters like Kong for example, the first being Millennium Godzilla from Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
- When Godzilla begins glowing for his climactic battle against his enemies, the way his dorsal plates light up with blue as he shoots his atomic breath is similar to Toothless, whose spines also light up with energy as he charges up and unleashes his plasma blasts.
- Coincidentally, both the 2014 Godzilla movie and How to Train Your Dragon 2 came out in 2014. Five years later, Godzilla: King of the Monsters and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World both came out in 2019. Just like the ending of Godzilla: King of the Monsters where Godzilla becomes the Alpha Titan after defeating Ghidorah, Toothless becomes the Alpha Dragon after defeating Drago's Bewilderbeast.
- This incarnation of Godzilla is one of the friendliest towards humans. Ironically, his copyright holder Toho Studios reverted Godzilla to his traditional unfriendly self in their 2010s domestic films for political and environmental purposes. His counterparts in Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy are metaphors for both the damage done by the United States for meddling in foreign affairs and the homeland disasters that struck Japan in the 2010s decade including the Tōhoku earthquake and Fukushima nuclear disaster, thus making him incredibly malicious and detrimental to the human race's fate.
- This incarnation of Godzilla also has a best dynamic with Mothra; unlike their previous incarnations; who are prone to be at odds with one another as much as with humanity. Interestingly, Mothra's status as "Queen of the Monsters" suggested their relationship is more than just friends, resulting fans ship both kaijus (see relationships with Mothra section above for more information).
- Godzilla is credited as himself in the sequel, despite T.J Storm is still credited for motion capture.
- It is implied that Godzilla possesses scars all over his body from what he received during many fights against other rival Titans that he fought in his lifetime.
- This is the first incarnation of Godzilla to possess gills, the other being the Godzilla from the Toho 2016 reboot, Shin Godzilla, except that the latter only had gills in his 2nd and 3rd forms, not the entire movie like the MonsterVerse Godzilla did. This allows Godzilla to sleep underwater, while the Showa Godzilla slept on land.
- This incarnation of Godzilla is one of the most, if not the most powerful Titan in the MonsterVerse franchise.
- In an early draft, Godzilla was gone to be found frozen in the Siberian Glacier, but was later dropped when "Man of Steel" had a similar scene where the Fortress of Solitude was found frozen.