Grogu, known as The Child (and also known as Baby Yoda on the internet and by fans), is the deuteragonist of the Star Wars Disney+ series The Mandalorian. The Child is commonly known on the Internet for his adorably-cute appearance. The Child is of the same species as Jedi Grand Master Yoda.
Din Djarin accepts the mission of tracking down and capturing a 50-year old target. Future on the Mandalorian ends up finding the target, which was revealed to be the baby which is the same species as Yoda. In the second episode, the Mandalorian gets attacked by a rhinoceros-type creature, which was about to kill the bounty-hunter, the Child uses The Force to levitate the creature, helping the the Mandalorian to kill the creature. Later on, the Mandalorian ends up giving the Child to the Client. The Mandalorian asks the Clients plans on what will he do to the Child, but the Client just responded that it isn't his concern.
Djarin ends up infiltrating the Cilent's base and retrieves the Child, which got studied by a Doctor, who wanted to drain his blood due to his species high M (midchlorian) count. Djarin ended up getting ambushed by other bounty hunters which were forcing the Mandalorian to give them the Child. The Mandalorian was able to escape when unexpectedly other the Mandalorians arrived to the location attacking the bounty hunters, letting the Mandalorian escape with the Child In the 4th Episode, the Mandalorian arrives to a planet with the Child to get as far away from the bounty-hunters. The Mandalorian wanted to take care of the villagers on the planet, but a bounty hunter appeared on the planet wanting to take the Child, to which the Mandalorian again had to retreat.
In 5th episode, the Mandalorian joins a aspiring bounty hunter to capture an assassin. Eventually, the bounty hunter ends up taking the Child hostage, at which point the Mandalorian kills him and gets the Child back.
After finding the Mandalorian Bo-Katan Kryze, Djarin was directed to take the Child to the city of Calodan on the planet Corvus and find the Jedi Ahsoka Tano and to say that Bo-Katan had sent him. Once Djarin arrived Djarin and the child soon found Ahsoka. Ahsoka communicated with the Child through the Force, learning that his name was Grogu and that he had been raised on Coruscant at the Jedi Temple, trained by several masters. She tells Djarin that after the Clone Wars Grogu was spirted away from the temple, and survived since then by hiding his abilities from others. Ahsoka tells Djarin Grogu's name, and Grogu responds by perking up when his adoptive father says his name for the first time.
Sensing much fear in Grogu and a strong attachment to his adoptive father Djarin Ahsoka declined to train Grogu as a Jedi. She feared that if she were to train him, his attachment would make him vulnerable to the dark side of the Force, and that attachment would cause him to fall to the dark side as her former Master Anakin Skywalker had. After defeating the local tyrannical magistrate Morgan Elsbeth Ahsoka told Djarin to take Grogu to Tython and place him on the seer stone, where Grogu would be able to decide his future for himself.
Djarin took Grogu to Tython and placed him on the seer stone, where Grogu was able to reach out through the Force in order to contact other Jedi in the galaxy. He was abducted by Moff Gideon and taken on board Gideon's cruiser. After finding out where Gideon's crusier was located, Djarin mounted a rescue mission to retrieve Grogu. Djarin was able to free Grogu from captivity and capture Gideon. Heading up to the bridge Djarin and his allies were trapped on the bridge when Gideon's Dark Trooper droids retook the ship and were preparing to storm the bridge when a single X-Wing arrived. A cloaked figure departed the ship and began easily slicing through Dark Troopers while Grogu and his adoptive father watched on a bridge monitor. After seeing how effortlessly the figure had eliminated the Dark Troopers the others in the rescue party were afraid to open the door to the bridge, so Djarin opened it himself.
The cloaked figure entered the bridge, and lowered his hood to reveal himself to be the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. Asking Grogu to come with him, Grogu wanted Djarin's permission to go with Luke. Taking him in his arms, Djarin removed his helmet, showing his face to his adoptive son for the first time. Fighting back tears, Djarin told Grogu that Luke was one of his kind and that he should go with him before setting Grogu down. Grogu hesitated to leave until he saw R2-D2 who happily greeted him. Grogu walked over to Skywalker, who picked him up and left with R2-D2 to go back to his ship and start Grogu's training.
- Although the Child isn't a younger-version of Yoda himself, he was given the name by the Internet, due to him being the same species. Numerous people have called The Child the biggest character of 2019.
- Some Star Wars fans have pointed out that the reveal of his true name, "Grogu", broke a Star Wars tradition among Yoda's species. Yoda and Yaddle both start with Y, and his true name having no connection to his association (Yoda) briefly disappointed some fans.
- However, Vandar Tokare was a member of Yoda's species in Knights of the Old Republic, so if one takes Star Wars Legends into consideration then it makes the existence of this tradition debatable, as one could argue for either side.
- Funko Pops for The Child were not produced before the series' premiere, because the popularity of The Child was severely underestimated. This caught the attention of some collectors. They were not released until sometime in 2020, and an abnormal amount of variants were produced due to Baby Yoda's popularity (as you can see above)
- The Child is the second non-human Mandalorian to appear in Star Wars canon after Paz Vizsla, who is a humanoid.
- The Child is the third of Yoda's species to appear in Star Wars canon after Yoda and Yaddle.
- The Child is the second non-dark side Force-user to perform Force choke after Luke Skywalker.
- The Child is the second Force-sensitive to stop fires blasts after Kanan Jarrus. But unlike Kanan, the Child can redirect the fire blasts similar as Yoda can redirect Force lighting.
- The Child was revealed to have a very high Midi-chlorian count, which explains his impressive display, as even Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series needed help to repel fire.
- Like Rey and Ben Solo, the Child can use Force healing.
- The Child is the second known Force-sensitive Mandalorian after Tarre Vizsla.
- The puppet used to portray The Child cost $5 million to make, and is controlled by 2 technicians.
- The Child makes a DLC appearance in life simulator game The Sims 4, as a statue.