|“||I am Groot.||„|
|~ Groot's catchphrase|
|“||Time is strange. At first, it feels boundless. But it is always fleeting. Soon, our time belongs to others... and it races by. But before we know it, time runs out. And we lose the chance to thank the ones who meant the most to us. Who made us we are. Because of her, I learned the greatest truth I know. One I live by every day. I want to thank her. I want to thank the person who showed me that a kinder universe was out there... and that kindness is worth the risk.||„|
Groot is a fictional superhero that appears in Marvel comics and universe, and has become a pop culture icon in recent years. Originating as a Flora colossi from Planet X, Groot was exiled from his home planet after protecting abused animals from his fellow kind, and decided to explore the galaxy. He later became the partner of Rocket Raccoon and member of the Guardians of the Galaxy, a team tasked with protecting the galaxy from threats.
He was created by Keith Giffen and Timothy Green II, and first appeared in Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1
In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he is voiced by Vin Diesel.
Groot was a Flora colossi from the capital of the branch worlds, Planet X. Groot preferred to be around "Maintenance Mammals" then his fellow saplings, and later killed a sapling to defend a maintenance mammal it was abusing. He also released a human subject that was kidnapped for science, and was exiled from the planet. After being exiled by the "Arbor Masters", Groot decided to explore across the galaxy since he had no where else to go.
In adulthood, Groot was captured and imprisoned when he was in Kree space, and formed a close friendship with Rocket Raccoon. The two were then assigned to a covert team led by Star Lord, whose was tasked with assaulting Hala and defeat the Phalanx. During the fight, Groot's body was mostly destroyed, but a small wig survived and preserved the Flora colossi.
Groot and the team later aided the Avengers in fighting Thanos, who had returned to collect the infinity gems. Thanos managed to get the Cosmic Cube and escape to Moord, the homeland of the Badoon. The Guardians informed the Avengers of the situation, and both teams fought Thanos and the Badoon. Both teams were supposedly killed when Thanos became one with the Cosmic Cube and killed the Elders of the Universe, but they were sent to the Cancerverse along with the Elders.
In the Cancerverse, Iron Man found that Thanos' weapon wasn't actually a Cosmic Cube, and the group bargained with the Collector to gain a weapon capable of deactivating the "Cube". Returning to Earth, the Guardians and Avengers aided the Elders in defeating Thanos, who was punished.
When Agent Venom joined the Guardians as a liaison for the Avengers, Thompson started to lose control of the Venom symbiote. Seeing that he was losing control, the Guardians took it from him as precaution, but the symbiote escaped and bonded with Groot for brief time. Groot later became involved in the hunt for the Black Vortex, and was captured by Mister Knife. Groot worked with X-Men members Cyclops and Iceman to escape, and the group came across the Black Vortex. Groot submitted to the power of the Black Vortex, and after rejecting it, his appearance was slightly altered.
- In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he is voiced by Vin Diesel, who also portrays Dominic Toretto in the Fast & Furious series, played Richard B. Riddick in the Riddick series, Xander Cage in the xXx series, Kaulder in The Last Witcher, Bloodshot in the titular 2020 film, and voiced Iron Giant in the titular film.
- Diesel reprised his voice for the character in Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, he was voiced by Troy Baker, who voices Erron Black in the Mortal Kombat series, and also voiced Joel Miller in The Last of Us series, Booker DeWitt in Bioshock: Infinite, Sam Drake in the Uncharted series, Talion in the Shadow of Mordor series, Snow Villers in Final Fantasy XIII, Red Hood in Batman: Arkham Knight, Delsin Rowe in Infamous: Second Son, Jack Mitchell in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Orkos in God of War: Ascension, Rhys in Tales from the Borderlands, Jake Muller in Resident Evil 6, Robin in Batman: Arkham City, Joseph Allen in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Alec Mason in Red Faction Guerrilla, Batman in Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4, Madarao in Kekkaishi, and Abel Nightroad in Blood Trinity.
- Baker reprised his voice the character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man, he was voiced initially by the late Michael Clarke Duncan "Guardians of the Galaxy", and by Kevin Michael Richardson in subsequent episodes. Clarke also played John Coffey in The Green Mile and voiced Tug in Brother Bear, as Richardson also voiced Maurice in the television series of the Madagascar series, Gantu and Cobra Bubbles in Lilo & Stitch, Principal Lewis in American Dad!, and Cleveland Brown, Jr. in The Cleveland Show.
- Richardson reprised his voice for the character in Avengers Assembled, Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. and Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!, Rocket and Groot shorts, Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Guardians of the Galaxy: The Thanos Threat, Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes, Disney Infinity 3.0, and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.
- In Spider-Man, he was voiced by Connor Andrade.
- In Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series, he was voiced by Adam Harrington, who is best known for voicing Bigby Wolf in Telltale's The Wolf Among Us series.
- Harrington reprised his voice for the character in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order.
- In Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, he was voiced by Stefan Ashton Fran.
|“||See...me? I don't really care about people--I spend most of my time shooting them. But Groot... Groot likes people. Always sees the best in them. Gives 'em a shot. And even if it hurts, he always goes out of his way to help. Groot makes friends everywhere he goes... He puts himself out there... Even when he shouldn't.||„|
|~ Rocket Raccoon talking about Groot|
- Ranked 16th on a listing of Marvel Comics' monster characters in 2015.