Gwen Stacy is a minor character in Spider-Man 3, the daughter of Captain George Stacy, a student in Dr. Connor's class and the former love interest of Eddie Brock.
Gwen Stacy lives in New York City and is the daughter of NYPD Captain George Stacy. Gwen also attends Columbia University, is a classmate and the lab partner of Peter Parker.
Since Peter is at the top of Dr. Connors' quantum mechanics class, he tutors her which Gwen considers Peter a genius and is very fond of him as a friend.
Later, Peter (as Spider-Man) rescues Gwen early in the film from a construction crane accident. This was in front of her father NYPD Captain George Stacy who ensured Spider-Man was awarded the key to New York for his efforts.
At the parade to award the key, Gwen kisses an upside-down Spider-Man which causes his current girlfriend Mary Jane Watson to become jealous and hurt.
She is also friends with Eddie Brock who took pictures of her, so she could be a model. His relationship is short-lived, as Peter, under the influence of the symbiote, steals her from Eddie.
He dances with her at the same jazz club where Mary Jane works, but Gwen realizes Peter is doing this only to make Mary Jane jealous, so she apologizes to Mary Jane and storms out.
Peter makes amends with Gwen later and she is also present at Harry Osborn's funeral.
Behind the Scenes
Bryce Dallas Howard said she would love to be a part of any continuation of the film franchise, while acknowledging her character's opportunity may have passed, especially after Spider-Man 3 ended with Peter and Mary-Jane once again in each other’s arms.
In May 2007, actor James Cromwell, who played Captain Stacy in the film stated he thought the natural progression for the character would be for both to die early in Spider-Man 4 mirroring the comics.
Howard said a death would not have bothered her. The film was ultimately unmade despite Stacy making the draft. When the Spider-Man franchise was rebooted, Emma Stone was cast as Gwen in the new continuity.
- According to Bryce Dallas Howard on the DVD commentary, the actor who plays the photographer during the crane accident scene, performed a magic for her at a birthday party when she was in the second grade.
- Bryce Dallas Howard performed her own stunts during the crane accident scene, unaware that she was pregnant at the time of filming.
- Elisha Cuthbert and Scarlett Johansson were both considered for the role of Gwen Stacy.
- Unlike her mainstream comic counterpart, this Gwen wasn't killed by the Green Goblin.
- Bryce Dallas Howard said she would love to be apart of any continuation of the film franchise while acknowledging her character's opportunity may have passed especially after Spider-Man 3 ended with Peter and Mary-Jane once again in each other’s arms. Howard said a death would not have bothered her. The film was ultimately unmade despite Stacy making the draft.
|Spider-Man Movie Heroes|
Sam Raimi series
Marvel Cinematic Universe series