|“||Too long my fate has not been in me own hands…No longer.||„|
|~ Hector Barbossa.|
Hector Barbossa is the deuteragonist of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. He is the main antagonist of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, a cameo character in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, a main character in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, an antagonist turned tritagonist of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and the deuteragonist of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. He was a legendary perfidious (later good) pirate and Jack Sparrow's friend and former sworn enemy.
The character is initially a fully evil villain who can kill to have what he wants, but by the second film despite still being selfish is not evil like in the first film and helps Jack to defeat Davy Jones and Cutler Beckett. Over the course of the film series he is an antihero but at the climax of the fifth film Barbossa really turns good and redeems himself.
When the original Disneyland attraction was revamped in 2006, Barbossa was added to the ride. Among other appearances, the character appears in several books and video games.
He was played by Academy Award winning actor Geoffrey Rush, who also played Casanova Frankenstein in Mystery Men and Steven Price in House on Haunted Hill.
His father was of an unknown State and is mother was Irish, Barbossa have a father who continuatilly beat him but Barbossa would escape and becomes evil as he would murder many people in his debut in pirate's group. He is grew in extreme poverty and went to sea at the age of 13. He had once been an honest sailor, but corrupted himself upon realizing that he could gain a lot more a lot quicker if he broke the rules, even stooping to murder.
|“||Barbossa, you lying b******!||„|
|~ Will Turner to Barbossa.|
Confident and persuasive, Hector Barbossa combines experience with almost reckless daring. Barbossa became a pirate because of his wish to raise his social status and his greed for wealth and power, but not because he wanted to live the adventurous life as a pirate in the way Jack Sparrow did. He considered himself a gentleman of the seas and could act polite if he wished; he possessed a certain eloquence which he frequently used to his advantage. Like some pirates, Barbossa considered the Pirate Code to be "more guidelines than actual rules", but nevertheless he respected the right of parley and preferred interpreting the Code in his own favor instead of breaking it openly. Although he saw himself as an honourable man, Barbosa never stops to manipulate and twist deals he makes with people to his own advantage; when he agreed to free Elizabeth, Jack and their entire crew free if Will was to come with Barbosa however he tricks this by saying
Barbossa's relationship with Jack Sparrow was complicated. He led the mutiny against Jack, resulting in becoming captain of the Black Pearl, but also helped rescue Jack from Davy Jones' Locker. Jack was also one of the few who called Barbossa by his first name "Hector", implying a good friendship prior to Barbossa's mutiny. Even after all they have been through, Barbossa was secretly an admirer of Jack's incredible escapes.
Some time after his first mutiny on the Black Pearl, Barbossa kept a capuchin monkey, which he named "Jack" after his old captain Jack Sparrow. He seemed to genuinely care about the monkey, who occasionally accompanied his master everywhere and often sat on his shoulder.
Barbossa’s favorite delicacy was caviar, but he also had a notable appreciation for green apples. He offered an apple to Elizabeth during their dinner aboard the Pearl and he commented that after the curse was lifted, he would eat a whole bushel of apples. This seemed to be one of Barbossa's simple pleasures in life - unable to feel or taste due to the curse - for this reason he always kept a number of apples on the table in his cabin on the Pearl. At the moment of his death, Barbossa was holding an apple because he intended to eat it immediately after lifting the curse. However, Barbossa was able to take a bite of an apple when he revealed himself in Tia Dalma's shack.
He was a master seaman, who had excellent navigational abilities, a strategist who could plan ahead. These abilities not only gave him many advantages in his pirate life but also earned much respect both among his subordinates as well as among his enemies; these skills, combined with his exceptional fighting abilities, were in fact the reason why Barbossa managed to survive a life of piracy for several decades and contributed to his reputation and his high-ranked position during this time. Barbossa has defiantly proven himself to be a cunning by seemingly making certain agreements or arraignments but mostly for his own benefits.
Barbossa is a skilled swordsman, hinting at a lifetime of experience, and proved capable of holding his own against numerous enemies at once. Before challenging the legendary pirate Blackbeard, Barbossa poisoned his sword, saying he wasn't foolish enough to fight Blackbeard without a "venomous advantage". During his duel with Blackbeard, Barbossa he also used his crutch as a weapon in battle, weilding it along with his sword against Blackbeard. His fighting style was quite dirty, however he knew how to behead people.
Barbossa was a tall man speaking with a strong West Country accent and uses the pirate "arrgh". He had many scars on his face, the most notable one is under his right eye. Barbossa wore fine clothing befitting a man of his stature and status. He was rarely seen without his big, round, dark hat which is decorated with blue ostrich feathers as a show of vanity. At the point of his becoming a privateer for England, Barbossa abandoned his pirate garb and wore instead a black and gold bicorne along with Naval clothes, including a dark blue coat with gold trimmings and crimson cuffs. While his clothing changed, Barbossa still wore his hair long and scraggly, along with his signature moustache and beard, unless he wore his powdered wig in the presence of higher-class persons.
Among Hector Barbossa's jewelery, he wore a silver ring which bore the image of a lion's head, which signified Barbossa's status as leader, on his right ring finger. Barbossa's weapons included a rapier and a flintlock pistol, an elegantly engraved weapon was won in a duel against a Spanish pirate and allowed him to kill his enemies in the way of a gentleman.
Prior to becoming a privateer, Barbossa had lost his right shin and foot during Blackbeard's attack on the Black Pearl. After losing his leg, Barbossa began sporting a peg leg in place of his right shin and foot, which contains a rum supply and a cup. He also used a wooden crutch, which was used both for balance and for combat as shown during his fierce duel with Blackbeard.
Behind the scenes
- Hector Barbossa was portrayed by Geoffrey Rush in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. He was voiced by Brian George in Kingdom Hearts II, The Legend of Jack Sparrow, the At World's End video game, and Pirates of the Caribbean Online. Haruhiko Jo provided the voice in the Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts II.
- Robert DeNiro was going to play Barbossa but refuses the role because he believed who the first film would be a flop like the others films on pirates.
- Director Gore Verbinski jokingly said that Rush was his third choice for the role of Barbossa, after the (already deceased) Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers.
- The name "Hector Barbossa" was first revealed in the The Curse of the Black Pearl DVD commentary with Johnny Depp, who, as writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio maintained, came up with the name himself while joking with Geoffrey Rush about Barbossa's name. It was spoken onscreen for the first time, by Depp's character Jack Sparrow, in At World's End, as Jack Sparrow's first line to Barbossa.
- Barbossa's name in the original script for The Curse of the Black Pearl was "Blackheart". One of the undead pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean Online was named Blackheart.
- Hector Barbossa is one of only four Disney villains ever nominated for the MTV Movie Award for Best Villain, the others being Davy Jones, Scar from The Lion King, and Jadis the White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
- In 2006, Captain Barbossa was placed in the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, replacing the Pirate Captain of the Wicked Wench.
- In On Stranger Tides: The Visual Guide, it was said that Hector Barbossa became an admiral during the quest for the Fountain of Youth. However, it was confirmed that Barbossa was given the rank of "captain" rather than "admiral" in On Stranger Tides itself.
- Barbossa appears in a German Disney comic as a success-less pirate who met an ancestor of Scrooge McDuck 
- Ian Hawke (Alvin and the Chipmunks)
- Loki Laufeyson (Marvel Cinematic Universe)
- Sheldon J. Plankton (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Mr. Barbossa † - Father and Enemy
- Ms. Barbossa † - Mother
- Margaret Smyth † - Lover
- Carina Barbossa - Daughter
- Jack the Monkey - Pet and Teammate
- Jack Sparrow - Captain turned Enemy, Former Attempted Victim, Former Killer turned Teammate, Rival, Friend, Rescuee and Attempted Savior
- Will Turner - Enemy and Attempted Victim turned Reluctant Ally, Enemy and Teammate turned Ally, Friend and former teammate
- Elizabeth Swann - Enemy and Attempted Victim turned Reluctant Ally, Enemy and Teammate turned Ally, Friend and former teammate
- Tia Dalma / Calypso - Ally, resurrector and Teammate turned Enemy and Helper
- Pintel - Close Friend, Former teammate and former assistant
- Ragetti - Close Friend, former teammate and former assistant
- Mullroy - Enemy and Attempted Victim turned Close Friend, Teammate and Assistant
- Murtogg - Enemy and Attempted Victim turned Close Friend, Teammate and Assistant
- Henry Turner - Enemy turned Ally, Teammate and Rescuee
- Cutler Beckett † - Hated Enemy, Attempted Killer and Victim
- Davy Jones - Enemy
- Blackbeard † - Sworn enemy, Attempted Killer and Victim
- Angelica - Hated Enemy
- King George - Employer, Employer and Ally turned Enemy and Possible Chaser
- Armando Salazar † - Enemy turned Employer, Enemy and Reluctant Ally turned Enemy, Attempted Killer and Victim
- Pig Kelly † - Enemy and Victim
- Hector Barbossa - Disney Wiki
- Hector Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean Wiki
- Hector Barbossa - The Keyhole