|“||My name is Robert Drake. Iceman. I've been an X-Man, an X...Factor-ian, a Defender, a Champion (don't ask). I've been a super hero since before I was old enough to shave. I've stood side by side with the toughest, most powerful heroes in the known universe and always held my own. But today... today I need to be something more. So go ahead, call me a joke if you want. Label me the X-Man with the lamest power ever. But a man of untapped potential? Don't you dare ever call me that again!||„|
|“||My name is Bobby Drake and I'm not line anyone else you've ever met. Or maybe I am. I'm a mutant. And, I guess, soon to be an X-Man. Whatever that is.||„|
|“||Don't you see? This is just another test. That ark... a week ago we thought there would never be any more of us and now... that ark is 600 potential new mutants. So, maybe this place... this whole crazy Apocalypse World isn't the end, maybe it's an opportunity. An opportunity to start again.||„|
|~ Iceman to Storm.|
Iceman (real name Robert Louis "Bobby" Drake) is a fictional character and superhero from Marvel comics, and has appeared the X-Men series of comic books, movies, cartoons and video games.
He is a somewhat troublesome student of Professor Xavier's School For Gifted Children but is nevertheless a loyal supporter of the ideals of the X-Men and will fight for what he thinks is right - however his recklessness can get himself and others into trouble. He is a member of the Marauders, and has been a member of the X-Men, Fantastic Four, X-Factor, the Defenders, the Secret Defenders, and the Champions of Los Angeles.
In X-Men: The Animated Series, he is voiced by the late Denis Akiyama. In the live-action movies, he was portrayed by Shawn Ashmore, who also portrayed and voiced Jack Joyce in Quantum Break and Conrad in The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan.
He was created by the late Stan Lee and the late Jack Kirby, and first appeared in The X-Men #1 in September of 1963.
Robert "Bobby" Drake was one of the first five students at Xaviers School for Gifted Children, as his powers manifested when he started to feel cold all the time. As he fist learned to develop his powers he could only cover himself in snow and not ice. Later as he continued to grow he was able to hone his skills and learn many interesting abilities. Xavier noted to Bobby that for a sixteen year old his reaction time and skills were great.
At first Bobby felt out of place because he was the team's youngest member. Today, Bobby displays expert control over his mutant ice projecting powers, and serves as an inspiration to the young mutants of the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning (as the School for Gifted Youngsters is now known).
Robert Louis "Bobby" Drake was born in Floral Park, Hempstead, New York to William Drake and Madeline Beatrice Bass. Bobby first discovered his mutant powers when he found himself unable to stop feeling cold and shivering when he was young, and later encased a bully ice to save his friend Judy Harmon. Revealing his powers in public, the people of his town believed him to be a dangerous mutant, and organized a lynch mob. The sheriff took Bobby into custody for his own protection when the mob attacked him, and the story made its way to Professor Charles Xavier.
Xavier sent Cyclops to recruit Bobby, and Drake turned him down before getting into a scuffle with Summers. The mob caught them and attempted to hang them, but Professor X used his telepathic abilities to erase their memories of Bobby's powers. Grateful for saving his life and wanting to be like Scott, Bobby enrolled in Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, and became the second member of the X-Men.
At Xavier's school, he was tutored by the professor and trained to use his powers in the Danger Room. Gaining the title "Iceman", Bobby learned to control his abilities in order to protect the world, and was teamed up with Cyclops, Angel, Beast and Jean Grey going under the title "Marvel Girl". Iceman befriended the group, but his lighthearted approach to disaster often eased tension for his teammates. During his training, Iceman and the team battled many villains such as Magneto and the Brotherhood of Mutants, and also teamed up with the Human Torch to defeat Captain barracuda. In addition, Bobby learned that he could change his appearance to snowman-like, and later learned how to cover himself up in ice that was transparent.
- In the X-Men films, he was portrayed by Shawn Ashmore, who reprised his voice in The Super Hero Squad, X-Men: The Official Game, and Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, and also voiced Jack Joyce from Quantum Break.
- In Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, he was voiced by Frank Welker, who also voiced Fred Jones, Scooby-Doo, Jabberjaw, and Garfield.
- In X-Men: The Animated Series, he was voiced by the late Dennis Akiyama.
- In X-Men: Evolution, he was voiced by Andrew Francis, who also voiced Dende in the Canadian version, Lance, Shining Armor, Bail Organa, Commander Cody, and Max Steel.
- In Wolverine and the X-Men, he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, who also voiced Spider-Man from Marvel's Spider-Man video game, and Neil from Camp Camp.
- In X-Men Legends, he was voiced by Darren Scott.
- In X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse, he was voiced by James Arnold Taylor, who reprised his voice in Marvel Heroes and Marvel Powers United VR, and also voiced Ratchet, Leonardo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, Tidus, Willy Wonka, and Captain Jack Sparrow.
- In Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, he was voiced by Adam Bobrow.
- In X-Men: Destiny, he was voiced by Jason Marsden, who also voiced Max Goof, Haku, Kovu, Chester McBadbat, Tasslehoff Burrfoot, Nermal, Peter Pan, and Gear.
- Jean Grey
- Kitty Pryde (Shadowcat)
- Raven Darkholme (Mystique)
- Lorna Dane (Polaris)
- Simon Lasker (Pyro)
- Judy Harmon
- Zelda Kurtzberg
- Laynia Petrovna (Darkstar)
- Annie Ghazikhanian
- Opal Tanaka
- Marge Smith (Mirage)
- Judah Miller
- He has expressed reluctance to "unfrost" himself.
- He is stated to be an Omega Level Mutant, an Alpha Level Mutant, and High Threat.
Later Main Team Members