|~ Gadget's most common catchphrase, often when he is surprised.|
|“||Go Go Gadget (insert device name here)!)||„|
|~ Gadget activating his devices|
|“||Claw! Come out with your hand and your claw up!||„|
|~ Gadget facing Dr. Claw|
Inspector Gadget is the titular main protagonist of the cartoon series and movies of the same name. He is also known as Jonathan "John" Brown.
An advanced cyborg equipped with many gadgets (from where his name is derived), he protects the world from the villainous Doctor Claw and his M.A.D. henchmen and is a mix of bumbling super-spy Maxwell Smart (who is coincidentally portrayed by his deceased voice actor Don Adams) and dim-witted detective, Inspector Clouseau.
In the original cartoon, Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas and in Inspector Gadget's Field Trip, Gadget was voiced by the late Don Adams, until Adams' retirement from the role in 1999. In Gadget and the Gadgetinis, he is voiced by Maurice LaMarche, who had also voiced Chief Quimby in the second season of the original cartoon, replacing Dan Hennessy. In The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! live-action segments, "Defective Gadgetry" and "Treasure of the Sierra Brooklyn", he is portrayed by Maurice LaMarche. In the 1999 live-action film, he is portrayed by Matthew Broderick and in the 2003 sequel, he is portrayed by French Stewart.
The gadget has straight black hair and gray eyes.
In the 1982 pilot episode, Gadget had a mustache, but it was later removed due to MGM threatening to sue DIC Entertainment as he looked too similar to Inspector Clouseau.
Gadget's attire resembles that of Inspector Clouseau's attire from the early Pink Panther movies from 1963 to 1982.
He wears a gray trench coat with a dark grey fedora, white shirt, blue tie and pants, and dark brown gloves and wears gray shoes.
In Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas and Inspector Gadget's Field Trip, he has the same appearance from the original cartoon.
In The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! live-action segment episodes, "Defective Gadgetry" and "Treasure of the Sierra Brooklyn", he wears a brown fedora, light brown trench coat, white shirt, black tie, brown gloves, blue pants, and black shoes.
In the live-action films, he wears a brown fedora, light tan trench coat, white shirt, black tie and pants, and black shoes and wears no gloves. He also has a Riverton Police Department badge on his belt. but in Inspector Gadget 2, He wears a grey coat that resembles the one from the cartoon.
In Gadgets and the Gadgetinis, He wears the same clothes in the cartoon, but he wears a black trench coat instead of grey, He also wears yellow gloves and his fedora is light gray instead of dark gray, but also retains his blue tie and pants and wears dark gray shoes.
In the 2015 cartoon, Gadget has the same appearance from the original cartoon. Albiet much thinner.
Powers and Abilities
Inspector Gadget is equipped with many various gadgets in his body.
- Gadget Binoculars: A pair of binoculars that lower down from his hat and over his eyes.
- Gadget 'Brella: A hand holding an umbrella emerges from his hat. It is used to help him slowly descent to ground safety. However, he often uses the umbrella upside down when falling rapidly.
- Gadget Coat/Gadget Airbag/Gadget Blimp: By the pulling one of the buttons on his coat, his coat inflates like a balloon to make him float on water or in the sky.
- Gadget Skates:
- Gadget Skis:
- Gadget Neck: Inspector Gadget can stretch his mechanical neck to great length.
- Gadget Arms: Inspector Gadget can stretch his mechanical arms to reach long distances.
- Gadget Legs: Inspector Gadget can stretch his legs.
- Gadget Copter: A helicopter emerges from his hat, gaining him the ability to fly.
- Gadget Hands: Multiple mechanical arms come out of his hat, These hands hold various objects, such as a camera, a motorized fan, a flash torch, a can opener, and other useful things.
- Gadget Cuffs:
- Gadget Parachute:
- Gadget Grappling Hook:
- Gadget Phone: A mechanical hand holding a phone come out of his hat.
- Whenever Gadget gets electrocuted, he has a visible skeleton shown despite being a cyborg.
- "Defective Gadgetry" of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! marks the first time Inspector Gadget appears in live-action, predating the 1999 live-action film by ten years.
- In the third episode of the 2015 reboot, Gadget states that in his younger days he was an singer. He is very visbly an adult in the flashback and it also took place in the 1970s. Seeing this his birthdate can be considered from 1952 - 1962.