This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|This article's content is marked as Mature|
The page Invincible contains mature content that may include coarse language, sexual references, and/or graphic violent images which may be disturbing to some. Mature pages are recommended for those who are 18 years of age and older.
If you are 18 years or older or are comfortable with graphic material, you are free to view this page. Otherwise, you should close this page and view another page.
|“||I wouldn't try that...I'm Invincible.||„|
|~ Mark Grayson's most famous quote.|
|“||You think you've saved us--by taking the problem away--by killing us, so that we don't harm the ecosystem, so that we don't warm the planet--because there are less of us? You've just slowed things down...you haven't fixed a damn thing. You're making it possible for us to continue our old ways of life, you're only delaying catastrophe--not avoiding it! These people could have died for nothing. Think about it. Maybe you don't have all the answers.||„|
|~ Mark Grayson.|
|“||Invincible: Don't touch me...
Omni-Man: Calm down.
Invincible: I will NOT calm down! This is insane! What do you think is gonna happen? That I'm gonna go enslave my friends for a bunch of aliens I've never met? This is my life! These are my people!
Omni-Man: We have a responsibility to Viltrum.
Invincible: I don't give a sh*t about Viltrum! And I don't care if I live a f*cking million years! This is my home, and I won't let you destroy it!
|~ Invincible refusing to allow Earth to become a part of the Viltrum empire in the TV Series.|
A young man new to the superhero scene, but enthusiastic about doing good in the world. He gained his powers during his senior year in high school and decided to become a superhero like his father, Omni-Man. He is the first half-human and half-Viltrumite hybrid of his generation who spends most of his time protecting innocents and is also a father himself. His father Omni-Man was the emperor of the Viltrumite and was the member Teen Team later renamed New Guardians of the globe. Despite all of the suffering he has faced during his tenure as a superhero, Mark would persevere and save the world and galaxy from threats.
He was created by Robert Kirkman and Cory Walker, and first appeared in Invincible #1 in January of 2003.
Markus Sebastian "Mark" Grayson is the son of Nolan Grayson, a Viltrumite superhero and novelist and Deborah Grayson, a human that Nolan met while on Earth. As a child, Mark would learn that his father was an alien, and was informed that he would get his powers one day. Unbeknownst to Marky or Deborah, Nolan was sent to Earth to infiltrate it's defense to take over the planet for the Viltrumites to dominant he galaxy. Mark would go to become a student at Reginald Vel Johnson High School, and became the best friend of William Clockwell. While awaiting for his powers to manifest, Mark got a job at the Burger Mart to earn some cash on the side.
Becoming a Hero
Mark's powers would manifest while he was working at Burger Mart, as threw a garbage bag into the atmosphere. Upon getting a costume from Art and taking the name Invincible from his principal (who told him he was not invincible when protecting someone from a bully), Mark would embark on defeating villains such as his teacher David Hiles and a zombie-like creature with his best friend William Clockwell. Around this time, he was ordered by his father to stop an alien that would come to Earth, but befriended the alien named Allen and realized that he was going to the wrong planet for years.
Mark met the Teen Team, befriending member Samantha Wilkins/Atom Eve, and later would protect the world from a Flaxan invasion alongside his father. Mark's secret identity was revealed by William, who said he would not tell anyone and was later learned by Samantha. Though all was going well, members of the original Guardians of the Globe were being killed by his father, who revealed that he was an agent of the Viltrumites to take over Earth, as their species were conquers instead of peaceful explorers.
Mark fought his father and resisted his attempts to make him understand, leading to him being beaten by his father across the world until Nolan left (not being able to kill his son). Going into a coma, Mark would later awaken and work for the government with Cecil Stedman to stop galactic threats. Stedman later sent Mark into space, and Mark met with Allen once again and informed him that he was a human-Viltrumite hybrid and that his father left the Earth. Allen sympathized with Mark and asked him what he was going to do, and Mark replied that he was going to finish high school.
Later on, Mark worked with Eve and the Guardians of the Globe in fighting the Flaxans once again and defeated them by destroying the wrist band that slowed down their aging process. Upon returning home, he sees the Immortal levitating near his house, and learns he will be watching him so he won't follow in his father's footsteps. Mark argued that he wouldn't do so, and the Immortal flew off, and Mark later met Cecil in his room, who told him that his conversation with his father was leaked. Mark then tried to comfort his mother who was suffering from alcoholism, and accused Mark of pushing Nolan away. Afterward, Grayson was tasked by Cecil to marry the queen of Atlantis since it's Atlantean law that whoever kills the king, must marry the widow. Mark is told to do so since Nolan killed Aquarus and left the planet, but Grayson is able have the queen's servant, Lethan, marry her.
Mark would reunite with his father who brought him to the planet Thraxa, who revealed that he took over the planet to make up to the Viltrumites for not taking over Earth. He also reveals that he had a child with a Thraxan, and wants Mark's help to protect the child since the Viltrumite Empire will kill it due to the child's purple skin being a deformity. Mark assisted his father in fighting against the Viltrumites, but Nolan was captured, and Mark decided to help the Thraxans rebuild. After doing so, Andressa asked Mark to take his half-brother to Earth since she was going to die soon.
Powers and Abilities
- Human/Viltrumite Physiology: Mark is a Human/Viltrumite hybrid and this gives him access to Viltrumite powers. Because humans are biologically similar to Viltrumites, this gives Mark the potential to become as strong as any pure-blooded Viltrumite. As Mark pushes himself, he can become faster, stronger, and more durable than he was before. Because of his Viltrumite heritage, Mark has the following powers:
- Superhuman Strength: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark has strength beyond human levels. He was able to destroy planet Viltrum with assistance from Nolan and Thaedus. Upon first getting superpowers, he was able to throw a trash bag from the United States all the way to England.
- Superhuman Speed: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark is capable of at moving at speeds beyond Human levels. Mark was able to transport David Hiles from the United States to Antarctica in a few seconds. He is able to get into orbit within a few minutes. He was able to move from the Pentagon and get to his house with a few moments. His reflexes are lightning-fast, he can even automatically dodge or intercept bullets.
- Superhuman Stamina: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark has stamina much greater than normal Humans. Mark has been able to exert himself for hours upon battling his father.
- Superhuman Endurance: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark's endurance is greatly enhanced beyond human levels. He was able to survive disembowelment, survive in the vacuum of space without needed to breath, and withstand blows from Thragg, who was said to be the strongest Viltrumite.
- Flight: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark has a complex balancing system in his inner ears that gives him the ability to fly.
- Interstellar Travel: Mark can survive, move, fly and comfortably function in outer space without aid.
- Enhanced Lung Capacity: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark has a lung capacity to hold his breath for weeks at a time.
- Invulnerability: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark is virtually immune to any/all kind of damage. Only beings of similar strength can actually inflict damage on Mark or even pierce his skin. Mark has been shot with bullets and none were able to pierce his skin. Mark has survived a nuclear bomb being blown in his face with no damage. Mark has survived the explosion of several hydrogen bombs with him minimal injuries.
- Enhanced Healing Factor: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Invincible is immune to all diseases, disorders, imperfections, and can heal and regenerate from any injuries, even those that would normally kill Humans. Depending on how severe his injuries are, some injuries he's sustained can heal from in weeks and others take longer. After his battle with his father, he healed in 2 weeks. After his battle with the Viltrumites on Thraxa, he didn't make a full recovery until a month later. During his first battle with Conquest, Mark broke his radius and his femur and three days after had bruises and required crutches to move. In a few months, he healed in a few months. During his second battle with Conquest, he was disemboweled and took him a few months to recover. Like all Viltrumites he adapts to any bodily harm as he regenerates.
- Decelerated Aging: Due to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark's aging process is slower than the average Human, as he gets older his aging process will exponentially slow down further, eventually he'll stop aging. Mark can potentially live for thousands of years and will still be in his physical prime.
- Dominant Genetics: Due to to his Viltrumite heritage, Mark's human genetics were overridden when he was conceived, making him more pure-blooded Viltrumite like Nolan, than human.
- Indomitable Will: Mark has been severely injured and still continued fighting, despite the pain. Mark continued fighting after his leg and arm were broken, and he was disemboweled. Mark fights for what he believes is right.
- High-level Intellect/Leadership: Although not usually stated, Mark is capable of fully memorizing and understanding complex ideas and skills, learning and adapting to any situations and environments instantly. Mark is also a very capable leader.
- Master Combatant: Mark is great at combat against opponents that try to attack or fight him, even his father.
- Vulnerable Ears: In order to achieve flight, a Viltrumite's equilibrium must be balanced. This system is located in their ears and thus anything that disrupts their inner ear function can disrupt their flight. This does not include loud sounds, but much rather certain pitch pulses. It can cause Mark's ears to bleed and possibly kill him if down for too long. This weakness has only been demonstrated on Mark, but it is implied that other Viltrumites share it.
- Short-Tempered: A personality trait shared by those with Viltrumite heritage, Mark has lost his temper quite a few times, notably resulting in the apparent death of Angstrom Levy.
- Mark is an avid comic book fan himself.