This Hero was Headlined on August 2018.
This Hero was proposed and approved by Heroes Wiki's Pure Good Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this hero from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a "villainous" attempt to demonize said character) and the user will have high chances of being
This Article Contains Spoilers -
WARNING: This article contains major spoilers. If you do not wish to know vital information on plot / character elements in a story, you may not wish to read beyond this warning: We hold no responsibility for any negative effects these facts may have on your enjoyment of said media should you continue. That is all.
|“||A smiling... dependable... cool hero... That's what I wanna be! That's why I'm giving it everything! For everyone!||„|
|~ Izuku Midoriya|
|“||A hero's job is to risk his life to turn his promises into a reality!||„|
|~ Izuku to Muscular.|
|“||Mirio: Why don't you tell me what kind of hero you want to be?
Izuku: What kind? [...] I want to save people with a smile, and... I want to be strong so I won't worry people. I want to always win and save everybody. I want to become the greatest. Got it?
|~ Izuku explains his ambitions to Mirio|
|“||If I can't save one little girl right in front of me... Then how can I ever hope to be a hero who saves everyone?!||„|
|~ Izuku to Overhaul.|
|“||I am... no longer alone... and I will... take back everything!||„|
|~ Izuku's promise to restore everything in Chapter 325.|
Izuku Midoriya, nicknamed as Deku, is the main protagonist of the My Hero Academia franchise.
He was originally being tormented and bullied throughout his life for lacking a Quirk by mainly his childhood friend Katsuki Bakugo and many people along with him, but after meeting with the No. 1 Hero, All Might and impressing him with his bravery and skills, he then gained the One For All Quirk and became a Hero-in-training with his abilities at Class 1-A as well as being its ninth user. He is one of Ochaco Uraraka’s closest friends.
Izuku is a teenage boy with green eyes and messy dark green hair, many people believe his hair might be black, but the messiness casts a shadow on his own hair.
During his time at Junior High School, he wore a black gakuran uniform with yellow buttons. At UA, he wears the standard male uniform: a light grey suit over a white dress shirt and dark green dress pants, along with a red necktie. Izuku usually wears his signature, oversized red boots.
Though he was initially very skinny, Izuku has gained an array of well-developed abdominal muscles after his extensive training with All Might, and at UA respectively.
Izuku is generally characterized as a nervous, honest, and cheerful boy. Despite being born Quirkless, Izuku held onto his lifelong dream of becoming a hero deeply inspired by the No. 1 Hero: All Might. While commonly showing his nervousness and sometimes meek attitude, Izuku commonly displays his heroic spirit with his incredible determination and selfless nature, as shown when he rushed in to save Katsuki and Ochaco despite the danger posed to himself as well. Izuku becomes elated when having the opportunity to gain a Quirk, attend U.A. High, but also dutifully carries the goal of becoming All Might's successor to carry the One For All Quirk.
A big fan of heroes, Izuku has a wide knowledge of many Pro Heroes, especially All Might with him knowing all of the No. 1's achievements and feats, no matter how small or trivial. Having admired All Might, he is also an avid collector of his merchandise as seen with his dormitory room. Izuku is also very intelligent and informative in terms of the Quirks and abilities of others, often inventing methods, strategies and ways to improve them. This results in Izuku having a habit to drone on and mumble whenever he focuses on something, a trait that usually tends to unnerve his peers somewhat.
Izuku can also be defined as a dynamic character. While at first he started off as insecure, tearful, and unconfident in his own powers, abilities and handling of his Quirk, he soon develops into a more focused, diligent and determined character, with his sights set on becoming a great hero. His time at U.A. High School and experiences, alongside serving as All Might's successor for One For All, has served greatly in his growth as both a character and a hero-in-training.
What truly defines Izuku, is his ultimately heroic spirit and willingness to help and save anyone, never hesitating to do so even if he lacks the strength or abilities. He was immediately suspicious and wary after witnessing Eri's fear and the bandages around her arms, after failing to save her from Overhaul the incident remained on his mind and he was later horrified upon learning the truth of her mistreatment. This however, while indeed weighing on his conscience, has also further fueled his desire to save her alongside his comrade Mirio Togata.
He has also been able to help others with their personal conflicts and issues, having turned several characters who were previously antagonistic towards him into gaining strong respect and even a sense of admiration for him. Along with his strong desire to save others is his determination to win fights, something that he took from his childhood friend, Katsuki Bakugo. Izuku actually goes so far as to emulate Katsuki's behavior during battle because his idea of victory is so engrained with the image of Katsuki in his mind, though he admits he doesn't like this side of him very much.
Izuku also shows a sympathetic and merciful attitude towards villains he encounters. While he acknowledges that there are villains too evil and merciless to deserve his sympathy, he wonders about the circumstances that drove them into villainy in the first place. Due to this, he often wants to save villains that need it, no matter what of their crimes, such as offering the Gentle Criminal and his partner, La Brava, to a better path in life.
He even believed that he can save his arch-enemy Tomura Shigaraki from All For One's influence despite being the ultimate evil, once he saw what remained of Tenko Shimura's humanity and innocence after Tomura tried to invade his consciousness. While the other users believed that Tomura was beyond saving and the destruction he will cause will be irreversible, Izuku believes that One For All should be used to save rather than kill, which All Might taught him, as he still wants to save Tomura no matter what.
He also tried to reason with Muscular if there was any path for him to take and why he committed all these murders, same with Lady Nagant, a fallen Pro Hero due to the dark side of Hero Society until he had gotten her to open her eyes, and even with Kai Chisaki of all people, kept a promise he made from Nagant when he genuinely wanted to apologize to his boss but in conditions if he would ever feel the same way to Eri after what he had done to her.
After he woke up from his coma, Izuku was discharged from the hospital afterwards. Then later on, in April, he wrote letters to each of his classmates in 1-A, including Ochaco, revealing that the truth behind his Quirk being a power passed down to him by All Might, that All For One and Tomura Shigaraki are now chasing after him because of it, and that he left U.A. High. By the start of what would be his second year in April, Izuku left U.A. High for that matter to keep his classmates safe. After leaving U.A., he is shown to have become cold and distant towards others, becoming especially paranoid after All For One vowed to break his spirits. However, after his classmates fought him and brought him back to U.A., these traits have since vanished. In their place his determination to end All For One has only redoubled itself now that his allies have convinced him to let them help, and he grimly resigns himself to a violent final battle against the villains of Japan.
Powers and Abilities
Even prior to acquiring his Quirk, Izuku showed many traits that deemed him as a heroic person such as his courage and selflessness for helping those in need of help and saving. These traits alone caught the attention of his icon, All Might himself, who decided he would be fit to wield his Quirk, One For All, and carry on his legacy as his successor, the next symbol of peace, the ninth user of One For All, and for Izuku to achieve his dream to become the World’s Greatest Hero.
- One For All: One For All is a Quirk passed down from generations and is currently in possession of Izuku, having it being passed down to him from All Might. One For All allows Izuku to stockpile power, increasing his overall stamina, endurance and skill. Izuku is the first user to awaken a spiritual link with the past users of One For All as well as the first to inherit all their Quirks.
- Fa Jin: The Quirk of the Third User of One For All. This Quirk is an Explosion Release of Internal Power - similar to a move in Chinese Martial Arts. By repeating regular motions, he can store and release kinetic energy.
- Danger Sense: The Quirk of the fourth user of One For All. This Quirk manifests as a strong throbbing sensation in the head, its intensity varying according to the incoming threat. It takes a great toll on Izuku's body.
- Blackwhip: The Quirk of Daigoro Banjo, the fifth user of One For All. This Quirk enables Izuku to manifest tendrils of darkness to capture enemies or move by grappling objects.
- Smokescreen: The Quirk of En, the sixth user of One For All. This Quirk generates layers of smoke to obscure vision.
- Float: The Quirk of Nana Shimura, the seventh user of One For All. This Quirk allows Izuku to suspend himself mid-air.
- One unnamed Quirk: The Quirk of the second One For All user.
- High Intellect: A trait that has been with Izuku since the beginning of the series is his high intellect. Izuku has shown to be very knowledgeable, both in terms of combat, as well as the world around him. He is one of the few students with the highest grades in his class, as a result of focusing on his studies overnight. He has also shown to be a quick learner and adapter, as his experiences with his Quirk inspire him to develop new skills and techniques for him to utilize in order for him to get around his Quirk.
Though the power and nature of One For All are exceptionally incredible, it is not something that can be handled easily. In Izuku's case, it was initially very difficult for him to handle, as he would constantly put himself through major injuries when using it recklessly. Even prior to this, he had to go through months of physical training to prepare his body for the Quirk. Should he try to go beyond his limits, the Quirk would inflict serious pain and damage to his limbs, as well as draw out his stamina. As time went on, Izuku learned to surpass his limits and continues to do so to this day. Due to him now Inheriting a Danger Sense Quirk, it will take a bigger toll on his body. With all the other Quirks combined, it has been revealed that he may be the One For All's last wielder.
- Full Gauntlet: Midoriya wears this gauntlet in My Hero Academia: Two Heroes he uses to not hold back on his power which allows him to use 100% smashes 3 times or any amount of one for all without any strain. The gauntlet has been destroyed in the fight against Wolfram
- Iron soles: Midoriya's iron soles can add an extra attack whenever he uses his legs in combat
- Arm Braces: Midoriya uses arm braces to support his arms and reduces the strain he has when using one for all in his arms.
- Air Force Gloves: Midoriya uses the gloves to harness the wind expelled when using finger attack from one for all as well as harnesses Blackwhip tendrils from the holes on his knuckles and wrists. This was destroyed during the war but was repaired by Mei Hatsume
- Stealth Suit: This is the costume he wears in the My Hero Academia: World Heroes' Mission film.
- Mid-Gauntlet: Mid Gauntlet is a weaker version of full gauntlet that allows Midoriya to use about 30% of one for all. However, if Midoriya used 100% of one for all for a moment then the gauntlet would be destroyed. The gauntlet was repaired by Mei Hatsume after Midoriya used Fa Jin.
- Hisashi Midoriya - Father
- Inko Midoriya - Mother
- U.A. High School
- Class 1-A - Classmates/Acquaintances and Friends
- Denki Kaminari (Chargebolt) - Friend
- Eijiro Kirishima (Red Riot) - Close Friend
- Fumikage Tokoyami (Tsukuyomi) - Friend
- Hanta Sero (Cellophane) - Friend
- Katsuki Bakugo (Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight) - Childhood Friend and Main Rival
- Koji Koda (Anima) - Acquaintance
- Kyoka Jiro (Earphone Jack) - Friend
- Mashirao Ojiro (Tail Man) - Friend
- Mezo Shoji (Tentacole) - Friend
- Mina Ashido (Pinky) - Good Friend
- Minoru Mineta (Grape Juice) - Friend
- Momo Yaoyorozu (Creati) - Good Friend
- Ochaco Uraraka (Uravity) - Best Friend and Possible Crush
- Rikido Sato (Sugarman) - Acquaintance
- Shoto Todoroki (Shoto) - Best Friend and Friendly Rival
- Tenya Ida (Ingenium) - Best Friend and Friendly Rival
- Toru Hagakure (Invisible Girl) - Acquaintance
- Tsuyu Asui (Froppy) - Best Friend
- Yuga Aoyama (Can't Stop Twinkling) - Friend
- U.A. Staff
- Class 1-A - Classmates/Acquaintances and Friends
- Danjuro Tobita (Gentle Criminal) - Arrested
- Sludge Villain- Attempted Killer
- League of Villains
- All For One - Arch-enemy
- Tomura Shigaraki - Arch-enemy
- Toya Todoroki (Dabi) - Attempted killer
- Himiko Toga - Attempted killer and one-sided crush on Toga's side
- Kurogiri - Indirect attempted killer
- Kenji Hikiishi (Magne) † - Attempted killer
- Moonfish - Attempted killer
- Atsuhiro Sako (Mr. Compress)
- Goto Imasuji (Muscular/Jailbreaker) - Attempted killer and arrested
- Nomu - Attempted killer
- Shuichi Iguchi (Spinner) - Savior
- Jin Bubaigawara (Twice) †
- Kai Chisaki (Overhaul) - Attempted killer
- Chizome Akaguro (Stain) - Savior and arrested
- Kaina Tsutsumi (Lady Nagant) - Attempted kidnapper; formerly
- Due to repeated damage from his poor control of One for All, Izuku's right arm has been permanently scarred to the point he needs to wear a compression sleeve on his upper arm.
- Izuku can only safely use 30% of One for All currently, with maximum 45% for a brief moment.
- As of the current plot, Izuku has the third highest number of Quirks, only surpassed by Tomura Shigaraki and All For One. He is also the only hero with multiple Quirks of the present era.
- His Japanese voice actor, Daiki Yamashita, has also voiced Narancia Ghirga in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Goh in Pokémon Journeys: The Series, Touya in Log Horizon, and Kan in Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World.
- His English voice actor, Justin Briner, has also voiced Ryota Mitarai in Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School, Yukito Tsukishiro in Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc, Qwenthur Barbotage in Heavy Object, Shō Kusakabe in Fire Force, Rainer Layer in Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records, Luck Voltia in Black Clover, and Uub in Dragon Ball Z.
- Izuku has become both one of the most popular and recognizable anime heroes and superheroes, in addition to being one of the primary members of the Shonen Jump multiverse.
- Although Izuku is friendly with all of his classmates (though this is one-sided with Katsuki), his closest friends are Ochaco Uraraka and Tenya Ida. He is good friends with Shoto Todoroki (post-U.A. Sports Match) — all three explicitly refer to him as a friend on at least one occasion. Izuku is also friends with Tsuyu Asui, who is shown to sit at his table during lunch. Minoru Mineta has referred to Izuku as a friend and someone he is jealous of on a few occasions considering Midoriya is one of only 2 classmates to tolerate and sometimes hang out with.
- Izuku shares his birthday with Ichigo Kurosaki (another Shonen Jump character who is the main protagonist of Bleach) and Mirio Togata.
- In Chapter 336, when Izuku finds out that Aoyama is the "U.A. Traitor", Aoyama was once Quirkless like him.
U.A. High School
|The Headlined Heroes|