|~ Jake Long's dragon transformation phrase.|
Jacob Luke "Jake" Long/The American Dragon is the titular main protagonist from Disney's animated television series with the same name and a guest character in Lilo & Stitch: The Series.
He is a 13 (one year later 14) year old boy who has the ability to turn into a dragon and protect the magic community of New York from evil. Jake is also known to have only one sworn/mortal arch-enemy: the Huntsman.
He was born on somewhere between February 19 to March 20 , 1992 and was officially fourteen years old in the episode "Young at Heart". Jake is a Chinese American teen who lives in New York City with his parents Jonathan and Susan and his eight-year-old sister, Haley Long. His two best friends are feisty Trixie Carter and dimwitted Arthur "Spud" Spudinski. He is a descendant of a family of dragons. On his thirteenth birthday, his magical abilities emerge fully and he was set to protect an underground magical community existing within his city and throughout the world.
The emergence of his dragon powers also made him the first official magical guardian of America, dubbed "The American Dragon". Under the training of his grandfather Lao Shi and his animal guardian, Fu Dog, Jake would be taught in the methods of his dragon abilities, and his duties as a magical guardian. His "territory" would be restricted to the area of New York (though would extend to other places if he happened to be there, such as the forests of New Jersey in "The Long Weekend"), and he is destined to become the representative dragon of the whole country.
Although Jake Long is still in the early training stages to be the American Dragon, it's his destiny to act as guardian, protector and champion to magical creatures secretly living alongside humans in New York City. Among them are the herd of unicorns in Central Park, the leprechauns on Wall Street, the gargoyle nest atop the Empire State Building, the Triborough Troll Bridge, the mystical city between NOHO and SOHO and the East River mermaids. Greater New York is the American Dragon's territory and if he can make it there, he can make it anywhere. But that means Jake must figure out how to control his fire breathing, flying and shape-shifting so he can perform his duties and Grandpa must figure out how to decipher his hip-hop grandson's colloquial language style.
When Jake comes home to his west side brownstone, it's to an extended family. His businessman dad is as American as apple pie and completely unaware that he has married into a family of dragons. Jake's mom is a professional caterer who also is a dragon but without transforming capacity (dragon powers skip a generation). Jake tries to ignore his brilliant yet pesky younger sister Haley, a nascent dragon, to no avail. Jake's Dragon Master is his wise Grandpa who, upon arrival to the United States, established an electronics shop on Canal Street and took Jake under his wing.
Despite the generation gap, Grandpa is patiently training Jake to master the fundamentals of being a dragon, unlock his potential and to be on time for his lessons. Grandpa's sidekick, the not-so-patient Fu-Dog, acts as Jake's animal guardian.
Jake Long is the cool kid in school—but not too cool. He has a keen awareness of the newest developments and styles, is self-assured, and likes video games, extreme sports, all sorts of music and the occasional comic book. Jake also has a passion for skateboarding to and from class at Fillmore Middle School and around every obstacle, ramp, bowl and bank the city streets offer him and his skateboarding friends, Trixie and Spud. Although Jake can easily overcome obstacles when he transforms into the American Dragon, as his ordinary self he can't conquer his crush on pretty blonde schoolmate Rose who, unbeknownst to Jake, has an amazing secret of her own... she's a dragon slayer. Born into The Huntsclan, a group led by the Huntsman that leads normal lives by day and hunts magical creatures by night, Rose has the covert dual identity of Huntsgirl.
Powers and Abilities
- Dragon Physiology: As a dragon, Jake's body is far better than that of any human. He can take massive blows from beings that can destroy buildings and still get back up and kicking. In addition, his senses are enhanced, making him able to hear sounds a normal human can't pick up on or see things at longer distances. If he needs to use a particular part of his dragon-body but doesn't want to go full-dragon, he can transform specific parts of his body to take their appearance and utilize their dragon physiology, whether it be his claws, wings, head, etc. Of course, that's not the only thing his physiology provides. As expected, Jake's dragon form also gives him extremely sharp claws and teeth, great for when he needs to get up close and personal with an opponent. In fact, despite being a dragon, close-range combat seems to be Jake's personal favorite method of fighting. Finally, he sprouts wings that allow him to glide around and fly at incredible speeds. His dragon tail and tongue are also prehensile, allowing Jake to grab enemies with them or trip them up for an advantage.
- Pyrokinesis: By invoking his dragon-self, Jake is able to manipulate fire in various ways. Like most classic European dragons, he usually prefers to shoot a stream of fire out of his mouth (or his butt), though he can shoot and throw fireballs if he so chooses. It's worth nothing that he can even use his fire when not turned into a dragon. This fire is strong enough to send enemies reeling and melt metals in a matter of seconds. Jake's precision with his fire is to such a great extent that he can even make an ice statue out of snow (somehow).
- Eye of the Dragon: While Jake's human form is far less impressive than his dragon form, as mentioned above he can still temporarily enhance his senses with his dragon abilities. One of these abilities, the Eye of the Dragon, gives Jake's vision a massive boost. Not only does it let him see farther, but it also gives him nigh vision.
- Ear of the Dragon: Jake's vision isn’t the only thing that can get an upgrade. With the Ear of the Dragon, Jake's hearing is enhanced, allowing him to hear sounds more acutely than normal. It also lets him detect individual sounds, even if they're dampened or obscured by things like doorways or soundproofing. It's sensitivity is so potent it can allow Jake to hear things from anywhere across New York City.
- Wings of the Dragon: While not officially named, Jake can summon his dragon wings in human form, usually for slow descents.
- Claws of the Dragon: Allows Jake to manifest his claws in human form, letting him pick locks or perform other tasks he could do with his claws.
- Duplication: Dragons somehow have the magical ability to create clones of themselves. These clones can follow Jake's directions and are as powerful as he is, but they also take a lot of focus and chi to create. Usually he's only been seen creating up to one extra clone, however, with chi amplification from special means, he can create up to five clones.
- Non-Physical Interaction: As shown by the episode "A Ghost Story", Jake is capable of hitting ghosts with his melee attacks due to his magical nature as a dragon, despite being completely untouchable to humans.
- Jake is similar to Juniper Lee:
- Both are Chinese-American.
- Both have titles (American Dragon and Te Xuan Ze).
- Both are the protector of their hometown (New York and Orchid Bay City).
- Both have a grandparent who was once like them (Jake's grandfather Lao Shi was the dragon guardian of China (before moving to New York to train Jake) whilst Juniper's grandmother Jasmine (Ah-Mah) was the previous Te Xuan Ze).
- Both have an annoying younger sibling (Haley and Ray Ray).
- Both have a companion who is a talking dog (Fu Dog and Monroe).
- In an early draft for the episode "Hong Kong Nights", Jake's maternal grandmother was going to be revealed as Councillor Chang.
- Jake's catchphrase is "Aww Man!!!", the same as Ben Tennyson's from Ben 10.
- Jake is similar to the main character Danny Fenton of the Nickelodeon show Danny Phantom:
- Both are teenagers who fight for peace.
- Both have have powers based on creatures found in popular myth. Jake is a half-dragon while Danny is a half-ghost.
- Both have at least two friends who know their secrets. Jake has Spud, Trixie, and Rose; and then later, while not a friend, Professor Rotwood, while Danny has Tucker and Sam; then later his sister, Jazz.
- Both have at least one parent who was unaware of their secrets until late in their careers. Jake has a father named Jonathan while Danny has parents named Jack and Maddie.
- Both have family members who relate to their powers. Jake's family on his mom's side are dragons while Danny's parents are ghost hunters.
- Both have a battle cry when triggering their transformations. Jake's is "Dragon Up!" while Danny's is "(I'm) going ghost!".
- Both have their own sisters who annoyed them. Jake has Haley while Danny has Jazz.
- Both has to face their own bullies. Jake has Brad while Danny has Dash.
- They went against each other in a DEATH BATTLE! matchup.
- In addition a lot of the fans think Jake, Randy from Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja and Danny from Danny Phantom are alike and have many things in common like dark, spiky hair, only their friends and some family knowing about their alter ego, fighting evil, and usually NOT being the popular kids in school. Because of this, a lot of fans wrote fanfictions and drew fanart that included all three of them and called them the "Secret Trio".
- Jake and Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender both have the ability to breathe fire. The characters also had adversarial-turned-friendly relations with a character on their respective shows voiced by Mae Whitman, those characters being Katara and Rose/Huntsgirl, respectively. Basco voiced the villain turned friend on Avatar, while Whitman voiced the villain turned friend on American Dragon.
Main Characters: Stitch | Lilo Pelekai | Jumba Jookiba | Pleakley | Nani Pelekai | David Kawena | Gantu | Reuben | Yuna Kamihara | Wang Ai Ling