James "Jimmy" Olsen is the best friend of Clark Kent and Winn Schott, the boyfriend of Lena Luthor and the former art director and acting CEO of CatCo Worldwide Media, who was promoted by Cat Grant to be a stand-in for her while she is on her leave of absence from the company. Always longing for his own brand of justice, James asks his best friend Winn Schott to help him in his quest and adopts the guise of Guardian, a vigilante operating in National City.
James is intelligent, kind, caring, selfless, brave and moral, with an urge to help people in any way possible. This was partly inspired by his many years of assisting Superman. He severely dislikes Sam Lane, partly because he has interfered in his relationship with Lucy Lane, which James and Lucy both correctly felt was not his place, but mainly because of his arrogant, disrespectful, ungrateful and immoral traits.
- Acrobatics/Free-Running: James is an accomplished acrobat, he was able to successfully escape and evade the shots of a number of banks robbers and the attacks of the the significantly larger Parasite, as well as to scale vertical surfaces using a grappling hook.
- High-Level Intellect/Great Business Acumen/Expert Tactician/Leader: James is sharp-witted, intuitive and a capable leader as Cat Grant chose him to be in charge of CatCo Worldwide Media in her absence and can run it well.
- Skilled Investigator: As a photojournalist, James is a capable investigator; he can effectively search for information and follow clues.
- Expert Combatant/Martial Artist: James has a black belt, although what level and in what style of martial arts was not revealed. He has demonstrated remarkable fighting skills, enough to match a former Navy SEAL in close combat and is also a skilled boxer.
- Expert Driver: James is an extremely skilled driver, especially of motorcycles.
- Escape Artist: James is able to escape places and hide effectively enough to evade the authorities.