|“||Well, the name's Jaune Arc. Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue, ladies love it.||„|
|~ Jaune introducing himself to Ruby.|
|“||Ruby. We lost... we lost Pyrrha. You lost her, too. And Penny, and your team, and in a way... your sister. But you're still here, despite everything you've lost, everything you could still lose, you chose to come out here. Because you felt like you could make a difference. You didn't drag us along. You gave us the courage to follow you.||„|
|~ Jaune, giving encouragement to Ruby.|
|“||It doesn't matter what we're called. As long as we're together.||„|
|~ Jaune, to the rest of RNJR.|
Jaune Arc is a major character from the RWBY franchise, serving as a deuteragonist in the American animated webseries RWBY, its Japanese manga prequel/adaptation, comic book series by DC Comics, and video game spinoffs RWBY: Grimm Eclipse and RWBY: Arrowfell. He is a Huntsman and the former leader of Team JNPR, and a major ally of Team RWBY.
He is voiced by Miles Luna, who also voiced David in Camp Camp.
Jaune is a very tall, muscular man with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. His attire almost always consists of a dark blue Pumpkin Pete hoodie and jeans, with a brown belt and gloves. He wears white and gold armor, primarily a chestplate, rerebraces, and elbow pads. Following the death of his love interest Pyrrha Nikos, he wore a red sash around his waist.
- See Jaune Arc (RWBY Chibi)
RWBY: Ice Queendom
RWBY: Amity Arena
Jaune appeared as a character in the defunct mobile video game RWBY: Amity Arena.
In the game's primary multiplayer mode, Jaune appeared as several units. The Vomit Boy Jaune unit was a basic ground-based melee unit, though was very powerful at higher levels . The Boundless Jaune unit was a melee unit that could rush to friendly units' aid, healing them and boosting their defense. The Vanguard Jaune unit was a melee unit that could direct and focus friendly units to target specific enemies or areas.
Jaune began his time at Beacon as a goofy, lighthearted individual who liked to crack jokes, flirt, and otherwise socialize. He had an incredible amount of confidence, and never let any setbacks lower his self-image. Despite that, he was meek and mild around bullies before getting a confidence boost from Pyrrha that aided him in trusting himself and his abilities more. From his early days in Beacon, he showed himself to be a tactical and strategic genius.
However, after the Fall of Beacon, Jaune's personality changed to be far more stoic and serious. Though he retained his confidence and tactical knowledge, he became prone to bursts of rage and sorrow, especially when confronted by those responsible. His care for his allies never faltered, though he tends to be more aggressive and focused on his greater goals.
Powers and Abilities
Jaune is a talented swordsman following training from Beacon Academy and Pyrrha Nikos. His weapon, Crocea Mors, is a sword and shield that Jaune uses to great effect. Following the Fall of Beacon, he upgraded his weapons to combine with each other, creating a powerful two-handed greatsword that he can use with the same proficiency as his one-handed blade and shield. His shield has also been modified with Hard Light Dust to extend if needed. Additionally, following training from Professor Ozpin, he is proficient at hand-to-hand combat as well.
Jaune unlocked his Semblance, a power unique to him and tied to his soul, during the Battle of Haven. His Semblance, called Aura Amp, allows him to amplify another's Aura and Semblance with his own through physical contact. When he is in contact with another, he can amplify the defensive and healing properties of thier Aura, making it capable of withstanding far greater force than usual or allowing it to heal much more egregious, potentially life-threatening injuries as opposed to normally only being able to heal minor wounds. If applicable, the subject's Semblance is also amplified, increasing its effectiveness, strength, range, or speed.
Jaune himself possesses an Aura, which he unlocked during Beacon Initiation with help from Pyrrha. His Aura is a physical defense generated by his soul. This durable field is invisible except when it is overtaxed, where it flashes yellow. His Aura defends her from attack and can even heal minor wounds, but if it takes too much damage it will become depleted and require time to return. According to Pyrrha, Jaune has a considerable amount of power in his Aura, likely tied to his Semblance, which allows him to use his own Aura to amplify others'.
One of Jaune's most praised abilities among his peers is his high level of intelligence and strategical and tactical genius. He is able to formulate winning strategies and plans while in action, and is also regarded as an excellent leader and coordinator. Under his lead, his teams JNPR and the short-lived RNJR were combat specialists able to take down large and dangerous foes with ease.
Jaune is also revealed to be a surprisingly adept dancer, able to do so even while wearing a dress.
- Jaune alludes to the historical figure Joan of Arc:
- Jaune's name is a reference to Jeanne d'Arc (Joan of Arc)
- He faked something about his identity to join into battle
- Jaune Arc used to constantly be harassed and bullied by Cardin Winchester. Joan of Arc was sentenced to being burned at stake by Henry Beaufort, a.k.a. the Bishop of Winchester, who was also a Cardinal.
- "Jaune" is the French word for yellow.
- His name's meaning may be a reference to his apparently weak and timid behavior since "yellow" and "yellow belly" are slang terms for coward. This is particularly apparent in its connection to the French and the stereotypical and discriminatory association between France and cowardice.
- His symbol, a yellow, double crescent moon, could be a reference to his voice actor and RWBY writer Miles Luna, whose last name is Latin for "Moon."
- When frightened, Jaune has a very high pitched scream. It was enough for Yang to mistake it for a girl's scream.
- Jaune appears to have a somewhat weak stomach, and often suffers air sickness. When he first meets Ruby he tries to explain to her that air sickness is "a much bigger problem than most people let on."
- Jaune was the first member of team JNPR to be introduced in the series.
- Jaune may be allergic to the tree sap of the Forever Fall forest, as his face was swollen and he was speaking in a nasally voice after he gathered a large amount of it.
- Foreshadowing his skills as an adept dancer, before Volume 2 started, Monty created a rig of Jaune dancing and put it on his Facebook.
- He appears to be a fan of X-Ray and Vav comics.
- In the Japanese dub, he is voiced by Hiro Shimono
- The name of his weapon translates to "Yellow Death"