|“||Strength is justice! Strength is absolute! All is meaningless without victory! To be defeated is to lose everything! Just like then... I won't go through that ever again!||„|
|~ Jiren's refusal to lose in "The Greatest Showdown of All Time! The Ultimate Survival Battle!!"|
Jiren, also referred to as "Jiren the Gray", is the main antagonist in the Universe Survival Saga in Dragon Ball Super, and the final antagonist of the series. He is a member of the Pride Troopers, and Toppo's right-hand and closest friend. He's the strongest warrior in Universe 11, and his power equals or even surpasses that of a God of Destruction. He participated in the Tournament of Power with the purpose of obtaining a wish from the Super Dragon Balls.
He is voiced by Eiji Hanawa in the Japanese dub, and Patrick Seitz in the Funimation English dub.
Jiren is a tall and very muscular humanoid alien with an appearance similar to the folkloric aliens known as the Greys. He has gray skin, big round black eyes with enlarged pupils, and nostrils in place of a full nose. He wears the uniform of the Pride Troopers consisting of a red, spandex-like suit with black sections around the collar and legs, white gloves, and white boots.
It is assumed that Jiren as a child was once very kind and innocent until he lost his parents and became determined to avenge them. While he at first apparently still trusted and cared for his friends and mentor, the betrayal of his friends and loss of those who stood by him including his teacher was the final straw and it permanently altered Jiren into the stoic, calculating and monstrously powerful being he currently is, which makes him an antithesis of Goku that is much more formidable due to Jiren being far more serious and less cocky.
While he had lost everything, Jiren does not become evil and instead becomes an overall selfless and heroic, but distant and cold, man. Possessing a powerful sense of justice, Jiren devotes everything in justice and never acts for selfish reasons. He lives to protect Universe 11, even stating that he would leave the tournament while it was happening in order to return there if any problem arose in the 48 minutes of the tournament. He will never kill any villains he defeats and instead captures them. When Toppo tells Jiren to participate in the Tournament of Power, despite the fact his universe will be erased if the Pride Troopers lost, Jiren refused as he did not agree with the idea of destroying all other universes to protect his own, forcing Belmod to use the Super Dragon Balls to get him to agree. While he was unfazed by Universe 9's erasure, Jiren inwardly seems to be shocked as his eyes lost some of his stoicness.
Jiren is shown to be very stoic and serious about the tournament, as he knows that his entire universe is at stake, this was shown when he did not perform a pose unlike his teammates and when he told Goku to get lost when he tried to greet him. He seems to be even more serious in it than Toppo, as even Toppo made a pose while Jiren remained stoic. Jiren also appears to be a quiet person as he remained silent and spoke very rarely and when he does so he only spoke in short but clear sentences.
While mostly stoic, Jiren is still capable of expressing visible emotions, as shown when he did facial expressions of concern, annoyance and analysis as he watched the battle between Dyspo and Hit alongside Toppo and a look of surprise when Goku attempted to fire his Kamehameha at him during their fight and again when he realized that Hit had managed to land his Cage of Time on him.
While Jiren is the strongest being in his universe, above even Belmod, he still acknowledges his role as a soldier and thus obeys his superiors even though he is more powerful than any of them, with the possible exception of the Angel Marcarita. However, though Jiren may obey Belmod's orders to truly fight during the Tournament, he shows no respect for the God of Destruction as he didin't reply respectfully compared to Toppo and later blatantly adressed him without an honorific. In addition, while he had been betrayed by those he trusted and became very mistrustful of others, Jiren had not completely lost the abillity to trust and form friendships, as he was described as considering the Pride Troopers his comrades and was provoked when Android 17 said Jiren merely used the Pride Troopers and would abandon them if he had gotten what he wants. However, while he respects Toppo, who is second only to him in power and described as his best friend, enough despite his power vastly surpassing even that of his leader that he willingly listens to him and follows his orders, he is not above being direct and blunt even to his friend, as he sternly told Toppo to step aside so that he could handle Maji Kayo, who was restraining Dyspo. While not intentionally blunt, this was enough to take Toppo by surprise. He also is not above ordering his allies even though he is not the leader of the Pride Troopers, altough since his power is many times that of even Toppo's, that may attribute to Jiren's willingness to at times take command over even his friend. This is evidenced when he told Toppo to stay aside so he can combat Goku when the latter had Ultra Insinct. Jiren would lose all respect for and be greatly dissapointed in Toppo when he lost as a God of Destruction even though Toppo's power in that mode still does not compare to Jiren's, as Jiren felt that since Toppo had sacrificed all his prized values, he should have been able to defeat Vegeta as the latter did not give up all that he stood for. Jiren's friendship with Toppo was damaged to the point that Jiren coldly and outwardly mocked Toppo, insulting his display as being pathetic.
Jiren's troubled past makes him devoted in his seeking of more strength, believing that strength is true justice and strength can do anything. With his power being greater than that of a Hakaishin, Jiren is very proud of his strength. Jiren's usual approach to fighting is to let his opponent come to him. When fighting, Jiren only uses as much power as is necessary to overpower his foes and allows his opponents to attack him with their ultimate abilities, only to counter them in order to display his superiority. However, while this shows his arrogance, Jiren is still not outwardly cruel and does not like displaying all of his powers just to taunt his foes. Not only does Jiren take pride in his strength, but Belmod and Khai show equal pride in Jiren's strength as well, stating him to be the Pride of Universe 11. As such, Jiren shows a great excess of confidence and arrogance, after beating Goku and eliminating Hit, he withdrew from the tournament to meditate, openly declaring that his help to secure the victory of Universe 11 was no longer necessary.
However, after Goku awakened his hidden power again, Jiren returned to the side of his colleagues in order to observe Universe 7 defeat the other Universes. This ultimately did not stop him from underestimating them, because soon after the fall of the Universe 3, he said that regardless of what Goku and his allies did, they would still be defeated by Universe 11. His motives for seeking strength are currently very mysterious, as while Belmod says that Jiren wants more power as to become undefeatable, Jiren himself seems to dissaprove of the idea of seeking more power without any just reason, evidenced when he said that he seeks what more strength can offer him rather than just wanting to grow stronger and looking clearly exasperated by Goku's reasons of wanting more power being only due to he wants to be even better. In addition, Jiren seems to disapprove fighting in a prideful manner, as he scorned Vegeta for his self-pride way of fighting.
Despite his emotionless and stoic nature, Jiren has also shown that he can become very angry, even at his own allies. After Toppo was eliminated by Vegeta, Jiren became angry at his leader, stating that he was pathetic because he sacrificed his most prized moral values that he prided himself on in exchange for power, yet still lost in the end, shocking Goku and Dyspo. He was also angry at Android 17, when he managed to damage his uniform, just like when Toppo was furious when Goku damaged his uniform.
While still not being unnecessarily and outwardly cruel, Jiren is capable of being rather condescending, openly considering Goku, Vegeta and Android 17 to be inferior to him and repeatedly suggesting they give up as he is clearly far too strong for them as well as mocking them when Android 17 and later Vegeta challenged Jiren alone.
However, Jiren is not without some personal joy, as he smiled when Goku finally mastered Ultra Instinct and could challenge him. At the same time, Jiren is terrified at the concept of losing to the point where he is not above fearing his opponent, evident in when after seeing Goku dominate him in all aspects with Ultra Instinct. Believing so strongly that power is the only means of justice, once truly pressured in battle, Jiren will lose his composure, becoming extremely savage in battle, caring about nothing else but victory as he feels losing in any form means losing all he has worked for. Once reaching this hostile state, he becomes essentially unreachable with words. In addition, as Jiren's views are the exact opposite to Goku's, who values allies and assistance, viewing them as the key to true growth, once Goku's personal drive allowed him to evolve his power enough to truly challenge Jiren, the Pride Trooper became very erratic. As Goku continued to challenge all of Jiren's views, Jiren even momentarily abandoned his own values as he willingly tried to kill Goku's friends to prove that bonds with others can easily be erased. As Goku's drive ultimately proved greater than Jiren's and technically defeated him, Jiren composed himself enough to accept defeat, showing he has an honorable side. Even more, after Goku suffered the side-effects of overusing Ultra Instinct, Jiren hesitated to knock down Goku as he did not want to win in such an underhanded manner and only reluctantly decided to do so when Vermoud reminded him that he will obtain the Super Dragon Balls if he wins. He also told Goku that even if he and Universe 7 would be erased, Goku would live on forever in his memories, showing that Jiren truly recognized Goku as an equal.
Despite how he treated the Pride Troopers with little respect after they had fallen, Toppo's speech caused Jiren to stand up again to try to live up to the hopes of his allies. Eventually, Jiren changed his ways after realising the truth between Goku's words and began becoming more friendly and sociable.
When Jiren was a child, he returned to his house and found that his parents were killed by a villain. He was saved by a being who would become his teacher, who took him away to improve his strength. Later, with his allies, his teacher's other students, they fought the villain, but the enemy was far too strong and most of his friends and even his teacher died. His remaining friends gave up hope on avenging their lost ones and moved on with their lives. From that point onward, Jiren was alone and suffered immesurable grief. Embittered, he trained so he could become stronger, as he no longer believed in trust, only in strength. To Jiren, strength is justice, as strength is absolute, qualities which attracted Belmod to him. He lived in solitude until he met the Pride Troopers.
Jiren's power would eventually grow to be greater than that of even a God of Destruction; however, he was not interested in becoming one and so his comrade Toppo was chosen to be the God of Destruction candidate for Universe 11 instead. Jiren has a wish that he wants to fulfill, no matter the cost.
Jiren's very existence was considered a rumor in other universes; he is known as the only mortal that a God of Destruction cannot defeat.
Dragon Ball Super
Universe Survival Saga
Alongside his fellow Pride Troopers, Jiren is selected to be a member of Team Universe 11 to participate in the Tournament of Power. In the anime, when Universe 7 is selecting their team, Jiren is one of the foes from another Universe pictured by Old Kai. He is seen meditating prior to the tournament.
In the manga, Jiren was on Planet Towale dealing with the prisoners that broke out of the galaxy prison and started a riot. When the Pride Troopers were combating Choki, who was attacking Planet Bas, Jiren suddenly arrives and defeats Choki instantly, capturing it by turning it into a capsule. Toppo tells Jiren they need to talk in the ship, however, Jiren states that they must ensure the safety of the civilians first. Once this is done, Toppo requests that Jiren enter the Tournament of Power, however, Jiren refuses - stating that he will not destroy other universes to protect his own. However, Belmod arrives and tells Jiren that if he wins the tournament he can use the prized Super Dragon Balls to grant "his wish", hearing this, Jiren agrees to participate on the condition that if anything happens in Universe 11 while they are away he can return immediately to help.
He, along with the rest of the Pride Troopers participating in the Tournament of Power, arrive in the World of Void to start the Tournament of Power. Jiren, along with Toppo, looks just as serious for the tournament, as he knows the stakes of the tournament if they lose. When Goku arrives to greet him, Jiren manages to get right behind Goku and tells him to get lost, surprising Goku because Goku had his eyes on him the entire time, yet he was still unable to actually read his movements.
When the Gods of Destruction who were reconstructing the arena realize the teams have already arrived, they begin to increase the speed of the reconstruction, causing the Katchi Katchin to fly at incredible speeds. All of the other fighters dodge the blocks, but Jiren was able to perfectly analyze the movement patterns of the blocks and found his position was perfectly fine, so just when they seemed like they were about to hit him, they avoided him completely. This leaves Goku very impressed, as he remarks Jiren is truly no ordinary fighter. He and the rest of the Pride Troopers prepared to fight as the Tournament of Power finally begins. When Rabanra prepared to fight him, Jiren scared him off by a single look.
During Kale's rampage, Jiren defeats her with a single attack and was about to engage Goku until Toppo showed up and blasted him with Justice Flash. They then retreated to preserve stamina. Later on, when Brianne de Chateau, in her Ribrianne form, unleashed her Light of Love all over the arena, Jiren knocked away one of the projectiles and tried to stop the attack completely with his Power Impact, only for Vegeta to beat him to it. He, alongside Toppo and Kunshi watched Dyspo's fight with Hit. He and Dyspo are ordered by Toppo to drop all restraints, even moral ones, in order to save their universe.
After Dyspo was tricked and trapped by Maji Kayo, Jiren came to his aid and immediately intercepted his giant fist with the force created by the power of his punch, resulting in the jelly-like humanoid getting knocked out of the arena and eliminated from the tournament.
In the special, approximately halfway through the tournament, Belmod commands Jiren to crush Goku. Jiren unleashes his Ki which permeates through the entire World of Void, shocking everyone including Beerus. Goku fires a Kamehameha only for it to be completely negated by Jiren's wall of energy. Goku then turns into a Super Saiyan and begins landing blows on Jiren, which have no effect on him whatsoever. Goku turns Super Saiyan 2, which also demonstrates little success, and then Super Saiyan God, but his blows are easily blocked by Jiren with only one finger. Goku powers up to Super Saiyan Blue and begins trading blows with Jiren. Jiren easily completely outmatches him, even when he starts using X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken. After knocking Goku down, Jiren grabs him by the hair and blasts him off the arena, only for Goku to be barely hanging on by the edge. As Goku attempts to attack Jiren again in his X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken state, Jiren seemingly glares at Goku and deals several invisible blows, knocking Goku away. It is revealed that Jiren's attacks were so fast that even fighters such as Vegeta were unable to see it coming. Goku then resorts to his trump card and creates a Spirit Bomb using the energy of Team Universe 7 (except Vegeta, who refuses to give Goku energy). Jiren allows Goku to charge the attack, intrigued at how powerful Goku's trump card is. As Goku tosses the Spirit Bomb at Jiren, Jiren easily repels it with one hand much to everyone's shock. Goku then turns Super Saiyan Blue, forcing Jiren to use two hands, albeit with only minor difficulty. Goku uses Kaio-Ken once again, but ultimately prove ineffective as Jiren is still able to push the Spirit Bomb back. Eventually, Jiren used a concentrated glare to push the Spirit Bomb back at Goku. The two clashing powers of Goku and Jiren cause the Spirit Bomb to implode upon itself, covering Goku in the explosion. As the smoke clears, it seems as though Jiren had won the battle and Goku was vaporized by his own attack. However, Goku re-emerges in the state of Ultra Instinct -Sign-. In this state, Goku attacks Jiren, the only one out of the three Pride Troopers in the area that saw the attack coming and dodged it. Goku is able to dodge Jiren's attack in this state and exchange a few blows before being interrupted by Toppo and Dyspo, who attempts to attack Goku, only to be quickly thrown aside by him. Jiren signals to Toppo that he doesn't want his help, and the two begin fighting. Jiren finds himself equally matched with his empowered foe and the blows that Goku landed now rattled him. However, Goku soon loses this power due to the imperfect state of the form, and Jiren blasts Goku aside with a Power Impact, severely wounding him. Hit comes in an attempt to attack Jiren when he's open, but Jiren easily blocks his attack and questions Hit as to what he's doing, and Hit says that he's working. Jiren and Hit began their battle. Jiren swiftly adapts to Hit's improved Time Skip after easily countering several of Hit's Time Skip attacks and proceeds to considerably overwhelm the assassin with ease, much to Hit and Champa's shock. Jiren begins to corner Hit until he finally lands a hit on Jiren, which is also his trump card. With that attack, he manages to paralyze Jiren, but Jiren still manages to move somewhat slowly. Seeing that he can't hold Jiren much longer, Hit goes for a final attack on Jiren but Jiren manages to stop it with his glare. Then, Jiren grabs and crushes the energy sphere Hit was attacking him with, which released him from the paralysis. After attacking Hit for a while, Jiren sends him flying out of the ring with a Power Impact. After Toppo and Dyspo arrive, Jiren sits down and starts meditating, claiming that the opponents he was needed for are finished and he is no longer needed, staring at Goku as he says so before meditating. He was then attacked by Viara and Katopesla but they were unable to breach his barrier.
While he is meditating, his arm twitches when he feels Kefla's energy, but he still feels there is no need for him to intervene. Once again, when Kefla and Goku power up to their respective Super Saiyan Blue and Super Saiyan forms, Jiren's right eye twitches, yet he still does nothing. It is only when Goku reaches a new height in his Ultra Instinct -Sign- form that Jiren finally stops his meditation and decides it is time for him to fight once again. He then watches Team Universe 7 eliminate Universes 2, 6, 4, and 3 from the tournament with Toppo and Dyspo by his side. After the elimination of Universe 3, the remaining members of Universe 11 finally confront the remainder of Team Universe 7, to which Jiren proclaims that no matter what they do they will not emerge victoriously.
The final battle starts off, with Jiren fighting a fully powered Super Saiyan Blue Goku and asking why Goku seeks more strength while holding back and finding his supressed strength to be challenged by Goku's improved might, oddly saying that Goku doesn't know when Goku answers by saying he simply wishes to become stronger. When Goku asks if Jiren wants to become stronger too, Jiren only responds by saying he seeks what more strength has to offer. Vegeta soon charges in and fight him as well. Jiren at first lets Vegeta attacks him, taking no damage from the relentless assault, however, when Vegeta proclaims he will be the one who gets the Super Dragon Balls, Jiren becomes annoyed and punches Vegeta away. He prepares to blast him only for himself to be knocked aside by Goku. The Pride Trooper then fights both Saiyans at the same time easily dodging their attacks. However, when Jiren attempted to land a flurry of punches at Vegeta; the Saiyan Prince (who had watched Jiren attack Goku) easily dodged them and landed a devastating blow against the Pride Trooper, much to his intense shock. Jiren is then pushed back by Vegeta and once again takes another heavy blow though soon turn the tides and nearly knocks Vegeta off the stage with a Power Impact. Jiren proclaims that Vegeta will never be able to defeat him and that his fighting style has no purity. Vegeta then powers up a fully charged Final Flash and fires it at Jiren who blocks it this time. When the dust settles, Jiren is briefly seen on the ground seemingly knocked out by the blast, only to appear in front of Vegeta in an instant without a scratch and commends him for the attack. He engulfs Vegeta in a massive orb of energy which implodes onto itself and knocks Vegeta out.
After defeating Vegeta, Jiren turns his back to them and acknowledges Vegeta as a warrior before telling him to stay down. However, Goku then powers up and once again challenges Jiren to which the Saiyan begins to use Instant Transmission around him while avoiding his attacks. Unbeknownst to Jiren is that Goku planted Ki landmines that explode once Jiren stepped on one. However, it is revealed that Jiren avoided the first explosion by jumping up in the air. He then proceeds to destroy several Destructo Discs thrown at him by Goku before literally grabbing one with his bare hand and tosses it back which slices through the platform that Goku was standing on before he punches the latter away. He begins to pummel Goku atop of the collapsing platform before unleashing a devastating punch into Goku's chest. As Jiren charges energy into his fist and preparing to eliminate Goku from the tournament, the Destructo Discs return and slice through the platform where Jiren was standing shocking the Pride Trooper. He tries to blast Goku but the Saiyan kicks him off before he could. Despite this, Jiren is not so easily defeated as he begins to show his aura and jumps off the debris before returning to the ring thus preventing himself from being eliminated.
Jiren begins to casually walk towards Goku, all while shrugging off the Ki landmines that Goku planted earlier. He attacks Goku once again, quickly overwhelming the Saiyan, before he starts to power up, which is actually something of a rare event, according to Belmod and Khai. Goku and Jiren clash once again, exchanging fierce blows across the battleground, before Jiren evades an attack from Goku and charges up energy into his fist, before shooting it outward, creating a beam that pierces through several slabs of concrete and reverts Goku from Super Saiyan Blue to his base form, due to sheer shock. The Pride Trooper then begins to pummel Goku with a multitude of punches before stopping, causing Goku to state that Jiren hits harder than anyone he has ever fought before, but he will not back down, much to Pride Trooper's annoyance. Jiren then notices Vegeta standing back up, who once again declares that he will be the one to defeat Jiren and obtain the Super Dragon Balls. The Pride Trooper faces off against both Saiyans who start to power up to their maximum; resulting in Goku going X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken and Vegeta attaining a new transformation that is said to be beyond the power of Super Saiyan Blue. Jiren invites them to attack and the Saiyans begin to pummel Jiren relentlessly, while the Pride Trooper attempts to defend himself. He notes that their attacks have gotten much sharper, only for them to attack once again and begin to gradually overwhelm Jiren. Tien initially is stunned to see Goku and Vegeta working together, but Whis notes that they actually aren't and instead are fighting their own separate battles with Jiren, which is ironically throwing him off-balance. After being knocked into a pile of rubble, Jiren easily blasts his way out, and Pride Trooper and the Saiyans stare each other down. Jiren continues to fight against Goku and Vegeta, rendering both of their attacks useless as his begins to raise his power slowly. He takes on a Kamehameha and Final Flash directly, only to emerge unscathed, and he deflects another Final Flash with a mere glare before knocking back Goku and Vegeta, all while being relaxed. During his fight with Goku and Vegeta, Jiren sensed Toppo's increased power after unleashing his "God of Destruction" form, and stops fighting, noting that Toppo has "made up his mind". Soon afterward, Toppo destroys the entire fighting stage, leaving only pieces for the fighters to stand on, and Jiren decides to watch Toppo's rampage.
As Toppo engages in battle against Frieza and Android 17, Jiren resumes his own battle against both Goku and Vegeta which interrupts the fight between Toppo, 17, and Frieza. During the fight, Jiren starts to become frustrated by their persistence and attempts to blast them with a Power Impact which indirectly strikes both 17 and Frieza instead of Goku and Vegeta. Jiren lands next to Toppo and as Vegeta is about to attack him from behind, Jiren nods to Toppo and allows the God of Destruction candidate to fight Vegeta instead, consequently separating the Universe 7 fighters from one another. When Toppo was eliminated by Vegeta, Jiren berates him, calling him pathetic as he expected more from Toppo, clearly disappointed that Toppo abandoned his beliefs and everything he stood for in exchange for power whereas Vegeta stood by his beliefs and managed to defeat Toppo. After kicking Goku aside, Jiren then congratulates Vegeta on defeating Toppo, only to actually smile, and at last begins to showcase his true power, much to the remaining Universe 7 fighters' shock.
Jiren releases his true hidden power, which causes everyone in both the arena and the stands to stare in sheer awe and bewilderment; the two Zenos even noted that Jiren seemed be on "fire". Vegeta proclaims that since Jiren is the last opponent, they will defeat him and win, which is a notion that Jiren scoffs at, and he declares that they will not beat him with the wounds they endured. The three Universe 7 fighters attack Jiren all at once, but the Pride Trooper is able to block and dodge all of their assaults with seemingly no effort. He knocks back all three before dodging several Ki blasts from Goku, and uses his energy to block a cross-beam attack from both Vegeta and Android 17. After blasting the latter with a Power Impact, Vegeta attacks Jiren, at which the Pride Trooper blocks all of his blows and kicks him away, only to also block from a flurry of attacks from Goku as well. After a fierce scuffle, where he knocks Vegeta back to base form with an energy punch, and performing the same technique to erase Goku's Kamehameha, Jiren is suddenly hit by a surprise attack from Android 17 from the back. When the dust clears, it shows that for the first time that not only is Jiren's uniform besmirched, but he is also somewhat injured. The Pride Trooper is enraged by this and attempts to attack Android 17, only for the latter to push him back with a barrage of Ki blasts. The three fighters deduce that when Jiren's guard is down, he can take serious damage. Then, they perform a coordinated attack on Jiren, who actually successfully counters their attacks by dispelling Android 17's beam while also blocking Goku's Kamehameha and Vegeta's Final Flash simultaneously, with the sheer intensity of his energy; although he momentarily struggled against the assault. Jiren then releases a wide-range attack with his energy that engulfs and knocks out all three fighters.
Jiren is then suddenly attacked by an enraged Frieza, only for the Pride Trooper to effortlessly stop Golden Frieza's attack with a glare and knock him out with two solid punches. After Android 17 gets Jiren's attention, Belmod questions the android on what he will do if they win and obtain the Super Dragon Balls. Upon answering, Android 17 directs the same question to Jiren, but is curious as to why he desires the wish, as he assumes that someone as strong as him would need no wish, but Jiren does confirm that he indeed is after a particular wish. Upon hearing this, Belmod reveals Jiren's tragic past, and his reasoning behind his obsession with strength. Jiren only silences Belmod and attacks Android 17, who muses that since Jiren has no need for trivial things like trust or companionship, it seemed that he only used the Pride Troopers as a means to further his own goals, which angers both Jiren and Belmod. Jiren scoffs at Android 17's statements of him, declaring that only with strength you can achieve anything, including being able to bury the past. Jiren then fires a colossal orb of energy, with the intent of eliminating all three Universe 7 fighters. However, Android 17 manages to save both Goku and Vegeta by creating a barrier that holds back the attack, and additional barriers around each of them. When Android 17 self-destructs in order to destroy the attack, Jiren is given no penalty for it, and as a result, is now facing both Goku and Vegeta. He tells the two Saiyans to be grateful for Android 17's sacrifice to save their "weak" lives. Goku collapses, due to sheer exhaustion, leaving Vegeta to face Jiren alone.
As Vegeta and Jiren stare each other down, Jiren finds the idea of Android 17 sacrificing himself to protect them is ridiculous, and proclaims that no matter how many weaklings gather against absolute strength, it is pointless in the end. Vegeta attempts to go Super Saiyan, but is far too exhausted to do so and thus resorts to fighting Jiren in his base form. Jiren defends himself against Vegeta's powerless assaults with no effort at all, while berating him on how futile it is to persist, but Vegeta continues to attack nonetheless. After Jiren knocks Vegeta to the ground, the Saiyan begins to have flash backs of the moments he spent with his family, causing him to stand back up and tells Jiren to not underestimate the Saiyans. Vegeta attacks once again, but Jiren easily dodges and follows with a heavy punch to the face, leaving Vegeta with a swollen eye in the process. Despite the damage, Vegeta continues to resist and Jiren continues to block or dodge his blows, before kicking or punching him away. Jiren then unleashes a series of punches at Vegeta, before knocking him down to the ground, telling him that he cannot win, but Vegeta counters by saying that his loss does not matter, so long as Universe 7 wins. He then grabs and tries to break Jiren's arm, only for the Pride Trooper to blast him off with a simple flare of his energy in his arm. Vegeta, once again, stands back up, insisting that this fight is not over, only for Jiren to punch him off the remnants of the arena, but miraculously, Vegeta is saved when his boot hangs on one of the edges of the debris. The Saiyan Prince yet again continues to stand up, now relying on sheer willpower alone, this causes Jiren to ask Vegeta on what drives him this far to continue, despite the odds. Vegeta states that even if he told him, someone like Jiren could never understand what it means to protect something. He attacks the Pride Trooper once more, and blasts him with a Final Flash, but it does little to no damage to Jiren. After catching one of Vegeta's punches, he acknowledges the great pride Vegeta has before declaring that their fight is officially over, and finally knocks Vegeta off the arena, eliminating him in the process, but not before the latter gives Goku the last of his energy, in order to fight Jiren one last time.
Goku stands back up, revitalized by Vegeta's energy, and goes Super Saiyan Blue. Jiren wonders why Goku's friends have put so much faith in him, stating that trust begets nothing, though Goku disagrees with him and is amused by the fact that Jiren thinks so. He goes on to attack the Pride Trooper, but, despite regaining his stamina, Goku's attacks are rendered useless by Jiren, who blocks them with little effort. Jiren then lands a heavy blow on Goku, reverting him back to his base form, though the Saiyan continues to press on. Jiren counterattacks and begins to viciously pummel Goku, until they reach the end of the cliff of debris they are standing on. He charges energy into his fist and prepares to finally finish off Goku; however, the latter is able to dodge it, much to Jiren's surprise, as he couldn't see him move, as Goku had re-acquired Ultra Instinct -Sign- for the third time. He attempts to land more punches on Goku, only for the Saiyan to effortlessly dodge them all, before countering with a severe blow to Jiren's stomach. For the first time, Jiren actually showed visible signs of pain from the punch alone, shocking the spectators. Goku then powers up Ultra Instinct -Sign-, as he and Jiren stare down one another, all while slowly powering up, preparing themselves for their final battle.
Powers / Abilities
Jiren is the most powerful warrior in Universe 11 as well as apparently the strongest being in his universe, as he is stronger than even Belmod, his universe's God of Destruction, and is vastly stronger than Toppo even when Toppo is a God of Destruction, with the possible exception of Marcarita, the angel of his universe. The only known mortal whose power surpasses all the Gods of Destruction that exists, he is the most powerful mortal in all the universes. Deemed to be the Pride of Universe 11, Belmod even claims thar Jiren is a being that will never lose. Although it's unknown how he compares to the angels in both power and skill but it can be assumed he is capable of holding his own well against them, as Marcarita, the angel of his universe, Vados and Whis, were all impressed by his capabillities. He is much more powerful than any non-deity being in all the universes, with Goku and Vegeta noting none of their opponents could compare to Jiren and Jiren vastly exceeds Goku and Vegeta even when they both used Super Saiyan Blue, which could give even Beerus some trouble, and Golden Frieza. It appears that only the Angels and Ultra Instinct Goku has a shot to defeat Jiren in battle. Despite his overwhelming might, Jiren's fighting style is mostly defensive as, according to Belmod, Jiren tends to let his opponents come to him. He will calmly allow his opponent show their hand, refusing to strike back until either required to or the opponent shows enough strength to actually compete against him, and even then, use no more strength than the amount truly needed. Once engaging in battle, his attack methods are very basic, but solid and efficient, quickly decimating the foe with sheer force. Jiren has extremely advanced movement analysis, able to near-instantly perceive and determine the flow of events. He is also tremondously fast, far more so than even Dyspo even when the latter is in his Super Maximum Light Speed Mode. He is capable of surviving in the vaccum of space, allowing him to use his extreme speed to travel through the vastness of space to reach other planets much quicker than a spaceship could
After seeing Goku's Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken might, Toppo notes firmly that the Saiyan would have no chance of winning against Jiren. Upon meeting Goku, Goku immediately became in awe at the might of Jiren's mere presence. To which, when Goku approached the stoic warrior, Jiren instantly got behind Goku, who was completely unable to follow or react to this, despite looking right at him, leaving Goku stupefied. When the Gods of Destruction finished fixing the ring faster, Jiren did not bother to dodge the high-speed movement of Katchi Katchin, as he quickly determined that they would not strike him - whereas everyone else opted to dodge, a feat that highly impressed Goku.
During the Tournament of Power, Jiren scared Rabanra away by just looking at him. When Kale went on a rampage in her Berserker Super Saiyan form, Jiren effortlessly knocked out and launched Kale away with a single Power Impact, while everyone else was completely overwhelmed by her power as even their strongest attacks barely even fazed her. Hit, Universe 6's strongest warrior found Jiren a "disturbing presence", opting to fallback against Jiren after witnessing his power against Kale. Jiren effortlessly deflected a projectile from Ribrianne's Light of Love, which most of the other fighters had great difficulty dealing with. Against Maji Kayo, the sheer force from Jiren's punch sent a shockwave that knocked the foe out of the arena without direct contact.
Once Jiren began to get serious, he unleashed such intense ki that it shook the entire World of Void, a realm of infinite size, and stupefied everyone present. Beerus was shocked and sweating over his massive power, wondering how one person can unleash that much energy. Jiren's sheer ki was impervioius to base Goku's Kamehameha. Jiren effortlessly withstood all of Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 Goku's attacks and easily blocked Super Saiyan God Goku's assault with a single hand. Against Super Saiyan Blue, Jiren initially was pushed back until he put in more effort, and casually thrashed Goku about. Even X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken Goku proved to be no match for the relaxed Jiren. Jiren was able to easily push back the Universe 7's Spirit Bomb with just a release of energy. Only with X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken did Goku just make Jiren use both hands, before gradually wearing Goku down. When Goku re-emerged with Ultra Instinct -Sign-, only Jiren could follow the empowered foe. Jiren initially deflected Goku's assault without much effort, but Goku's prowess kept steadily growing, forcing Jiren to fight more seriously altough even then it is assumed he still somewhat held back as Jiren did not show any signs of powering up unlike when he used full power. Jiren proved to be on equal footing with Goku and while he gradually started pushing Jiren back, finally overwhelming him and landing solid blows, while Jiren was rattled by them, he quickly emerged with no signs of fatigue or physical harm. Before Jiren could be fully tested against Ultra Instinct power, Goku regressed to normal, letting the Pride Trooper instantly knock out Goku. Immediately afterwards, he effortlessly blocked a preemptive sneak attack from Hit with his free hand. Frieza also noted to Goku that he wanted to avoid having to fight Jiren at all costs and admits Jiren is a monster.
Against Hit, Jiren was able to effortlessly quickly adapt to Hit's improved Time-Skip, which utterly outmatched Dyspo, allowing him to quite easily counter and pummel the assassin without Hit once being able to hit him. Jiren also easily saw through Hit's Flash Fist Crush and blocked it with one hand and likewise emerged unfazed by the same attack hitting him at point-blank. While initially trapped in Hit's Cage of Time, Jiren was ultimately able to slowly move despite being suspended in time. Hit admits he could not stop Jiren for any longer and attempted to eliminate Jiren but this actually allowed Jiren to knock out Hit as he stopped Hit with a simple glare and was able to move his arm to the sphere which kept the Cage of Time active fast enough to destroy it before Hit could move away while still keeping Hit at bay. Vados and Shin states that Jiren possesses power that transcends time itself. Jiren then easily dodged all of Hit's desperate attacks and easily overpowered Hit in seconds and knocked him out of the arena with a Power Impact, taking out Universe 6's apparent ace player.
After defeating Hit and essentially Goku, Jiren calmly decided to leave the rest of the tournament to Toppo and Dyspo, stating that the opponents he was needed for are no longer a threat, instead resigning to meditation. In credit to his claim, his body would continuously produce a powerful barrier in this state, to which Dyspo notes that no one is worthy of fighting Jiren if they cannot even get through the barrier. As the Universe 6 Saiyans began showing a tremendous increase in power and even fusing together, it only momentarily deterred him from his meditation. It is only when Goku's Ultra Instinct -Sign- form arises once again that Jiren stopped his meditation to observe his foe's fight. During the rampage of Anilaza, Jiren was the only one who could deflect the giant foe's blasts unaided, using his Power Impact. Also, the debris launched by Anilaza was calmly repelled by Jiren's sheer energy.
In the final confrontation against Team Universe 7, while impressed with Goku's sudden growth, Jiren still proved to be fighting half-heartedly yet still easily fought him to a standstill. Even when Vegeta joined the fight, Jiren was unfazed by Vegeta's charge and soon easily beat away Vegeta while forcing back Goku without much effort. Vegeta noted that Jiren (before he even began using a hint of his true power) was stronger than anyone Vegeta had ever encountered. After Vegeta analyzed Jiren's attack patterns against Goku, Jiren was shocked by Vegeta avoiding his assault and hitting him back. From this, Vegeta began pushing Jiren back, getting through Jiren's defenses and landed solid blows. However, Vegeta noted that Jiren was showing much less strength than against Goku. To which, once Jiren got more serious, he quickly knocks Vegeta down, easily deflects Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta's energy blast and with a Power Impact, badly injure and exhaust him back into base form. After mocking Vegeta's pride, Jiren was hit by a supercharged Final Flash from Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta. While he was unable to block it and knocked to the ground hard, Jiren quickly emerged unharmed. He then noted that the force from the Final Flash wasn't half-bad and quickly delivers an energy attack that easily defeats Vegeta. When battling Goku again, Jiren easily parried Goku's attempts to attack him while actually intending to trap him. When they came to close-range combat, the relaxed Jiren quickly gained the upper hand and almost bested him until he was trapped. However, Jiren manages to save himself by methodically jumping off the various falling debris to return to the arena. After walking through all of Goku's explosions completely unfazed and uninjured and swiftly knocking him back, he proceeds to unleash a hint of his true power (Belmod noted that Jiren hadn't used that much power in a while), firing off a regular punch with such power that the shockwaves he generated stunned Goku back into his base form, from Super Saiyan Blue.
After Goku and Vegeta push their Super Saiyan Blue forms well past their limits, they both attacked Jiren together. While technically fighting together, they were in reality fighting individually, which actually worked to their advantage, as it threw Jiren off-balance and began pressuring him. Despite this disadvantage, which even made both Khai and Belmod nervous, Jiren still effectively blocked the majority of Goku and Vegeta's attacks and remained unfazed by their most powerful attacks, emerging from the rubble, which he effortlessly vaporized, unscathed. As Jiren continued to gradually show more of his true power, Goku and Vegeta's combined efforts could only match him and he repelled Vegeta's Final Flash with a mere glare, effortlessly broke free from Goku's hold, and soon afterwards left both Saiyans winded while he remained completely relaxed. As the fight continued, the very shockwaves of his attacks began overwhelming God of Destruction Toppo.
After Toppo was eliminated, Jiren finally unleashes his true power. With his true power, his ki was so intense and strong that it left the likes of Goku and Android 17 astonished and Tien, upon seeing Jiren's massive power, was so amazed by his power that he doubted that even together, Goku, Vegeta, and Android 17 could stand up to him. With his true power unleashed, he was able to easily take on and overwhelm Goku, Vegeta, and Android 17. This is evident where he was able to successfully block and counter almost all of their attacks and completely shrug those that hit him off. His energy is also so intense to the point where he was able to not only pierce through Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku's Kamehameha with a simple energy beam from his fist, but he also could use it as shield to defend himself from a three-way beam attack from the Universe 7 fighters, before he releases it in an omni-directional attack, which heavily injures both Goku and Vegeta to the point of sheer exhaustion. Jiren was also able to effortlessly defend himself from the enraged Final Form Frieza and soon send him flying with a kick. He then effortlessly overpowered him in his Golden form, with nothing but a glare and a two punches, knocking him out with the second punch. Altough he was caught off guard by Android 17's massively powerful blast, Jiren only suffered some injuries and soon Jiren's power proved too much for Android 17, as he was able to dispel another beam attack from the latter, despite being engulfed in the said beam, and also effortlessly plowed through a multitude of barriers. Jiren also effortlessly overpowered and badly wounded base Vegeta, ultimately knocking him out, and easily overpowered Super Saiyan Blue Goku, reverting him back to his base form with a single punch.
However, when Goku reawakens Ultra Instinct -Sign-, Jiren initially was incapable of seeing Goku move and was unable to land a hit on him. Ultra Instinct -Sign- Goku was even able to calmly land a blow on Jiren's stomach that actually caused Jiren to reel in pain. However, while visibly hurt by the punch, Jiren is quick to recover from the brief pain he felt from the attack and began powering up to face Ultra Instinct -Sign- Goku one last time. In their resulting exchange, Jiren proved to be evenly matched with Goku and he even managed to gain the upper hand upon fully seeing through the depths of Goku's power, deflecting Imperfect Ultra Instinct Kamehameha and dealing noticable damage enough to revert him to underpowered form. He would have beaten Goku had Vegeta not inspired Goku. Jiren remained on equal footing with Goku until he was somewhat pressured by Goku as he began to fully master Ultra Instinct. However, Jiren was able to briefly overwhelm him.
Against Mastered Ultra Instinct, although considerably outclassed, Jiren fought Goku with great effort and was able to process his movements enough to block a fair share of Goku's blows and also attack Goku. However, Jiren is ultimately easily overpowered, as none of his attacks were able to hit Goku while quite a few of Goku's blows landed solidly on him, although he was able to withstand it despite being clearly rattled. It was at this point that Jiren experienced his trauma again and he was able to break beyond his limits, gaining a tremendous boost in power and physical capabilities. Jiren unleashed a newfound power so intense, the very release of it caused the top portion of his Pride Trooper uniform to be blasted off, and set his surroundings ablaze with fiery ki. His physical powers were equal to, if not a bit superior, to Goku, completely matching him in hand-to-hand combat and even managing to cause Goku visible pain with a edgehammer hand blow, while his raw power could surpass Goku's initial level, able to force Goku into dodging his Power Impact and pressure him with his Ki blasts as well as overpower Goku's Kamehameha eventually. A Power Impact Beam was enough to briefly submit Goku. Even with Goku's power increased, Jiren still fought relatively evenly with Goku, shrugging off the majority of Goku's blows and landing his own that rattled Goku, requiring a full-power strike to briefly knock him down and even then Jiren still stood up and could exert enough power that had his blast not been deflected, he would have killed any of the non godly audience. He then stayed in combat with an enraged Ultra Instinct Goku for an extended period of time, blocking most of Goku's blows and shrugging off any blow landed. It took a full power Kamehameha to finally render him unable to battle. Even then, with only a short amount of time, Jiren was able to recover, effortlessly blast base Goku off the Arena, had it not been for Frieza's intervention, and then go toe-to-toe with and even overwhelm Golden Frieza, with only Android 17's attack saving Frieza. While he was severely injured, when motivated, Jiren was able to get up and unleash such a vast wall of KI as to nearly overwhelm Frieza, 17 and Goku's defenses. He could match and even overwhelm both Goku and Final Form Frieza, requiring aid from Android 17 to finally knock him off.
In Xenoverse 2, Jiren's power is noted to be far greater than the one the Future Warrior fought. Beerus and Whis both was surprised that the Future Warrior could defeat him even with Future Jiren's weaker strength, which still proved to be a remarkable challenge, and noted the real Jiren may very well defeat the Warrior at their current level. Android 18, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo all noted that they would have stood no chance had the Warrior not aided them, but to Vegeta, Goku and Hit, Future Jiren is still just weaker than the real Jiren yet they both still experienced thrill in fighting him.
- Power Impact : Jiren is able to shoot out a small blast of Ki that expands massively upon impact. He can control how far the attack sends his opponent. Due to Jiren's sheer power, the attack's power is tremondously potent even with Jiren's power massively held back, capable of easily knocking out the Berserker Super Saiyan Kale, defeating the mightiest Universe 6 member Hit, altough Hit had sustained a lot of damage from Jiren's previous attacks, severely injuring Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta enough to revert him back to normal and easily repelling the energy blast of Anilaza. Jiren is also capable of wrapping the energy of the blast around his opponent to electrify said opponent in an orb of energy before exploding, which was easily potent enough to incatipate Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta and return him to normal. In full power, Jiren can compress 2 small blasts into a Power Impact that would quickly expand massively and this version can easily tear through Android 17's barriers and it took Android 17 self destructing to stop it. After breaking his limits, Jiren is able to cast a wide amount of smaller but much more destructive blasts capable of pressuring Goku and create a beam strong enough to literally bowl through Supreme Kamehameha and inflict briefly stunning damage on Ultra Instinct Goku.
- Energy Punches: Jiren is able to charge his fist with his ki and then sends out powerful punches. Simply Jiren's basic punches, when Jiren starts revealing his true power, it is easily potent enough to dispel Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta's Final Flash, stun Goku back to his normal form from Super Saiyan Blue and at full power, it could revert Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta back to normal and overpower Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku's Kamehameha.
- Energy Barrier: Jiren's Ki is so massively potent that without movement through merely exerting his Ki, Jiren could block remarkably powerful attacks such as Goku's Kamehameha and at full power, it becomes even more potent to the point where it could block Android 17's Beam, Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 and Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta.
- Invisible Eye Blast: Due to the immensity of Jiren's power, his ki is so strong that he can release a stupendously powerful force blast by simply exerting his ki through his glare. It was powerful enough to easily disperse Vegeta's Final Flash, block Hit's final assault, and fight back Goku's Spirit Bomb.
- Invisible Strikes: Jiren's immense speed is so vast that he could land multiple heavy blows on a person in an instant, even able to do this by simply glaring, which is so strong and fast that it could badly wound Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku and Hit. Only Ultra Instinct Goku could effectively counter it without needing to observe it first. However, it can still be seen through if the foe's senses are sharp enough to observe it's pattern, as while Vegeta in his base form could not see it while faraway, once witnessing it up close and using Super Saiyan Blue, he was able to do the same as Ultra Instinct Goku.
- Jiren and Belmod: Belmod was attracted to Jiren's solitude and desire for power and would at some point introduce him to the Pride Troopers, giving Jiren companions he can truly call comrades, altough due to his disturbing past, Jiren does not completely trust them. Belmod deeply respects and is very proud of Jiren's power as he was fully confident that Jiren can defeat any opponent he faces during the Tournament. Jiren seems to obey Belmod, as he only began truly fighting when the god ordered him to. However, while he obeys Belmod, Jiren shows surprisingly little respect for him compared to Toppo, as he was impolite in replying to Belmod's telepathic order and later blatantly adressed him without using an honorific.
- Jiren and Toppo: Toppo claims that Jiren is his sworn friend but due to Jiren's distrust of others, whether he truly considers Toppo such is unknown, altough Jiren does seem to see Toppo as a comrade and does shows concern when Toppo became a Hakaishin. However, unlike Belmod, who Jiren has no respect for, Jiren has been seen to respect Toppo despite the vast difference in their powers, as he willingly listens to Toppo's orders. However, due to just how much Jiren surpasses Toppo, Jiren can easily become blunt to even him and would not hesitate to order him to stay back if he views that the opponent is stronger than him or when he decides to fight and Toppo knows only too well not to try to sway Jiren, evidenced when Jiren sternly told Toppo to stay aside so he can handle Maji Kayo and Toppo was surprised but did so and was later shown to make Toppo stop fighting Ultra Instinct Goku with a simple motion. Jiren, however, does hold Toppo's capabillities at a higher regard than the other Pride Troopers, enough that he was willing to let Toppo take on Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta when Toppo had became a God of Destruction. Jiren, however, was greatly disappointed Toppo after he lost against Vegeta despite becoming a Hakaishin and sacrificing all his prized values while Vegeta sacrificed none, even going so far as to coldly call him pathetic. This shows that Jiren's better view of Toppo's power also comes with an even greater expectation for his friend's power and having expected more from Toppo as a Hakaishin, Jiren had lost not only his respect for Toppo, but also his high view of Toppo's capabillities. However, despite this, while denying Toppo as a friend, Toppo still cared for Jiren greatly and what remained of Jiren's respect of Toppo made him be motivated and strengthened by Toppo's speech, allowing him to stand up. Jiren eventually became friendlier towards Toppo as he happily smiled when Toppo said they won't lose to Goku again.
- Jiren and Dyspo : It's unknown how Jiren views Dyspo but it appears their relationship is deeper than the other Pride Troopers just less deeper than the one Jiren had with Toppo. Jiren shows some annoyance when Dyspo struggled, showing he held Dyspo's abillities at higher regard than most of his allies and expected more from him, which can be attributed to Dyspo ranking as the third strongest Pride Trooper and among the fastest, even though Jiren still vastly dwarfes Dyspo in both power and speed. Jiren does seems to care for Dyspo as he did went to his aid when Maji Kayo had him beaten. However, like with Toppo, Dyspo's loss had apparently made Jiren lost any level of regard he had for Dyspo's abillities, as he evidently also extended his mocking of Toppo to Dyspo when Dyspo tells Jiren it's all up to him.
- Jiren and Goku : Jiren is virtually the antithesis of Goku and Goku's most powerful and formidable foe. Goku was excited and unworried of the prospect of fighting Jiren when Toppo told him about him. Whether Jiren knew on Toppo's battle with Goku was unknown, but it's unlikely as if Toppo had told Jiren, Jiren would likely quickly consider Goku to be a threat as Toppo is second only to Jiren yet Toppo could not defeat Goku. When they first met, Jiren was antagonistic towards him despite Goku warmly greeting him and coldly told him to get lost, likely viewing him as the reason why his universe is in danger of being erased. However, as he apparently observes Goku's power, Jiren seems to start regarding Goku's abillities at a higher regard, as he deemed him as one of the few warriors he needed to personally fight. When Goku challenged him, Jiren clearly looked ready to fight Goku when they stared at each other until Goku was almost knocked out by Universe 9 and later would have fought him had Toppo not ordered him to fall back. Jiren later agrees to fights Goku when Belmod ordered him to likely out of intrest on how Goku would fight him. While he was evidently unimpressed by Goku's Kamehamaha, which was useless against him as he repelled it without even moving using only his Ki and was just as much as unimpressed by Goku's Super Saiyan 1, Super Saiyan 2, and Super Saiyan 3's power, as he did not bother to dodge or block and withstood without damage, once Goku used Super Saiyan God, Jiren starts blocking even if it was only with one hand, apparently starting to gain a better opinion of Goku's power. Once Goku uses Super Saiyan Blue, Jiren, while outwardly unfazed, clearly took the power fairly seriously, as he starts fighting back in order to easily defeat Goku and chose to dodge Goku's Kamehameha rather than taking it on. Jiren's view of Goku's power made him willing to wait as Goku charges his Spirit Bomb out of curiousity, which he easily deflected. Jiren would eventually consider Goku a genuine threat when he acquired Ultra Instinct and could keep up with him, as he viewed Toppo and Dyspo as being too weak to defeat Goku and later stopped his meditation to observe Goku when he reawakened it. When they fight again and Goku is able to hold off Jiren in Super Saiyan Blue even though Jiren still did not use full power, Jiren was apparently impressed by Goku's growth and asked Goku why does Goku want power and seems to be dissapointed when Goku told him that he just wants to get stronger. When Goku nearly eliminated him, Jiren's opinion of Goku grew enough that he used the most amount of power Belmod saw Jiren using. Ultimately, Goku proves to be Jiren's final and strongest opponent when he had knocked out Vegeta and awakened Ultra Instinct-Sign again. Jiren was finally truly impressed when Goku is able to beat him back, causing him to use all of his power to attempt to defeat him. As the Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku dominates him easily and rivals even his limit break power, Jiren starts to grow furious at Goku for defying all of his ideals but upon being defeated, accepts Goku as being stronger than him and asks him to knock him down. He has developed so much respect that he truly considers Goku an equal, hesitating to knock him down after he lost Ultra Instinct and genuinely telling him he did not intend to win in such a way and bidding him a distraught farewell while promising Goku will forever be inside his memories as a worthy rival. Jiren was later on very impressed when Goku stood up again and was inclined to regain his hidden power again, after which he took enjoyment in fighting both Goku and Frieza. It was Goku's example that made Jiren finally realize the flaws of his approach for strength; while it is true that without others, he was able to level up to such an extent due to trusting only in his own innate talent, in the end, only with the aid of others can he truly be strengthened. Hence, Jiren looks forward to another battle with Goku happily and trains so he will be able to win.
- Jiren and Vegeta: Jiren did not think much of Vegeta initially. He did not consider him to be strong enough to be his opponent, never even mentioning him and not being bothered at the idea of Vegeta facing Toppo. When they finally fought, Jiren showed no desire to take him on seriously, not even bothering to deflect his blows and quickly got annoyed by Vegeta's arrogant claims of how he would be the one to claim the Super Dragon Balls enough to knock him aside easily. However, he starts getting a bit better opinion of Vegeta when he is able to bypass his Invisible Strikes and briefly push him back, but disliked his arrogant way of fighting as it contrasted his beliefs to the point he stated Vegeta would never defeat him, only to be subjected to a super-charged Final Flash that forced him to block. Once rendering it mostly ineffective and downing Vegeta, Jiren shows greater respect towards him, calling him warrior. After Vegeta beat Toppo, Jiren is genuinely impressed and praised him for being able to hold on to his beliefs while still winning and he later acknowledges Vegeta's resilience just before knocking him down.
|~ Jiren's famous catchphrase|
|~ Jiren when he finishes off his opponent|
|“||An assassin's pride ? WHAT RUBBISH !||„|
|~ Jiren describing Hit's pride as a stupidity.|
|“||The warriors I'm needed for...are already gone||„|
|~ Jiren after he easily defeated Goku and Hit before starts mediating|
|~ Jiren to Vegeta|
|“||Who cares about friendship?! Who cares about trust?! To accept that would be to deny everything I've ever been. I won't believe in such power. Such a thing... is easily erased!!||„|
|~ Jiren before firing at the audience stands|
- Jiren is one of Goku's major rivals in the series, alongside Vegeta and Hit.
- It is noticeable that, unlike many other heroes and villains on Dragon Ball; Jiren don't have martial arts skills. Despite being presented as an skilled martial artist like many other charatcers, Jiren never display truly martial arts prowess, rather relying on brute force and overwhelming power to win his battles. That said, he still shows some impressive fighting skills aside from ki control, like highly analytical mind.
- Jiren is very similar to Batman from the DC Comics: as both are very serious and determined superheroes who value all life and and have a moral code of honor and hate killing. They are also loners and attend to act like jerks to other people, but they are both very noble and selfless. Plus both of them have tragic backstories and were orphans since they were children.
- The only difference between them is that Jiren is more emotionless and cold and is more of an anti-hero as Batman is less emotionless and more caring and accepting of others as Jiren's views are much more warped then Batman's due to never accepting and getting over what happened to his family.