|“||Might makes right and might alone! Without strength, we have nothing! If I don’t win, then all my effort, all I’ve struggled to achieve, all of it will have been pointless! I'll lose everything, just like I did before... and I absolutely refuse to go through that again! I cannot! I will not!||„|
|~ Jiren's refusal to lose in "The Greatest Showdown of All Time! The Ultimate Survival Battle!!"|
Jiren, also referred to as "Jiren the Gray", is the main antagonist of the Universe Survival Saga in Dragon Ball Super. He is a member of the Pride Troopers, and Toppo's right-hand and closest friend. An extraordinary powerful mortal, he's the strongest warrior in Universe 11, and his power equals or even surpasses that of a God of Destruction. He participated in the Tournament of Power with the purpose of obtaining a wish from the Super Dragon Balls.
Jiren often operated as a solo fighter, not trusting anyone due to his past, believing that strength was the only thing that mattered. However, after his defeat at the hands of Team Universe 7 during the finale of the Tournament of Power, Jiren began to have a change of heart and decided to start trusting others.
The strongest adversary ever faced by Son Goku in the entirety of Dragon Ball's history, he is the antithesis to Goku.
He is voiced by Eiji Hanawa in the Japanese version of the anime, and by Patrick Seitz in the English version of the anime.
AppearanceJiren is a tall and very muscular humanoid alien with an appearance similar to the folkloric aliens known as the Greys. He has gray skin, big round black eyes with enlarged pupils, and nostrils in place of a full nose. He wears the uniform of the Pride Troopers consisting of a red, spandex-like suit with black sections around the collar and legs, white gloves, and white boots.
PersonalityIt is assumed that Jiren as a child was once very kind and innocent until he lost his parents and became determined to avenge them. While he at first apparently still trusted and cared for his friends and mentor, the betrayal of his friends and loss of those who stood by him including his teacher was the final straw and it permanently altered Jiren into the stoic, calculating and monstrously powerful being he currently is, which makes him an antithesis of Goku that is much more formidable due to Jiren being far more serious and less cocky.
While he had lost everything, Jiren does not become evil and instead becomes an overall selfless and heroic, but distant and cold. Possessing a powerful sense of justice, Jiren devotes everything in justice and never acts for selfish reasons. He lives to protect Universe 11, even stating that he would leave the tournament while it was happening in order to return there if any problem arose in the 48 minutes of the tournament. He will never kill any villains he defeats and instead captures them. When Toppo tells Jiren to participate in the Tournament of Power, despite the fact his universe will be erased if the Pride Troopers lost, Jiren refused as he did not agree with the idea of destroying all other universes to protect his own, forcing Belmod to use the Super Dragon Balls to get him to agree. While he was unfazed by Universe 9's erasure, Jiren inwardly seems to be shocked as his eyes lost some of his stoicness.
Jiren is shown to be very stoic and serious about the tournament, as he knows that his entire universe is at stake, this was shown when he did not perform a pose unlike his teammates and when he told Goku to get lost when he tried to greet him. He seems to be even more serious in it than Toppo, as even Toppo made a pose while Jiren remained stoic. Jiren also appears to be a quiet person as he remained silent and spoke very rarely and when he does so he only spoke in short but clear sentences.
While mostly stoic, Jiren is still capable of expressing visible emotions, as shown when he did facial expressions of concern, annoyance and analysis as he watched the battle between Dyspo and Hit alongside Toppo and a look of surprise when Goku attempted to fire his Kamehameha at him during their fight and again when he realized that Hit had managed to land his Cage of Time on him.
While Jiren is the strongest being in his universe, above even Belmod, he still acknowledges his role as a soldier and thus obeys his superiors even though he is more powerful than any of them, with the possible exception of the Angel Marcarita. However, though Jiren may obey Belmod's orders to truly fight during the Tournament, he shows no respect for the God of Destruction as he didin't reply respectfully compared to Toppo and later blatantly adressed him without an honorific. In addition, while he had been betrayed by those he trusted and became very mistrustful of others, Jiren had not completely lost the abillity to trust and form friendships, as he was described as considering the Pride Troopers his comrades and was provoked when Android 17 said Jiren merely used the Pride Troopers and would abandon them if he had gotten what he wants. However, while he respects Toppo, who is second only to him in power and described as his best friend, enough despite his power vastly surpassing even that of his leader that he willingly listens to him and follows his orders, he is not above being direct and blunt even to his friend, as he sternly told Toppo to step aside so that he could handle Maji Kayo, who was restraining Dyspo. While not intentionally blunt, this was enough to take Toppo by surprise. He also is not above ordering his allies even though he is not the leader of the Pride Troopers, altough since his power is many times that of even Toppo's, that may attribute to Jiren's willingness to at times take command over even his friend. This is evidenced when he told Toppo to stay aside so he can combat Goku when the latter had Ultra Insinct. Jiren would lose all respect for and be greatly dissapointed in Toppo when he lost as a God of Destruction even though Toppo's power in that mode still does not compare to Jiren's, as Jiren felt that since Toppo had sacrificed all his prized values, he should have been able to defeat Vegeta as the latter did not give up all that he stood for. Jiren's friendship with Toppo was damaged to the point that Jiren coldly and outwardly mocked Toppo, insulting his display as being pathetic.
Jiren's troubled past makes him devoted in his seeking of more strength, believing that strength is true justice and strength can do anything. With his power being greater than that of a Hakaishin, Jiren is very proud of his strength. Jiren's usual approach to fighting is to let his opponent come to him. When fighting, Jiren only uses as much power as is necessary to overpower his foes and allows his opponents to attack him with their ultimate abilities, only to counter them in order to display his superiority. However, while this shows his arrogance, Jiren is still not outwardly cruel and does not like displaying all of his powers just to taunt his foes. Not only does Jiren take pride in his strength, but Belmod and Khai show equal pride in Jiren's strength as well, stating him to be the Pride of Universe 11. As such, Jiren shows a great excess of confidence and arrogance, after beating Goku and eliminating Hit, he withdrew from the tournament to meditate, openly declaring that his help to secure the victory of Universe 11 was no longer necessary.
However, after Goku awakened his hidden power again, Jiren returned to the side of his colleagues in order to observe Universe 7 defeat the other Universes. This ultimately did not stop him from underestimating them, because soon after the fall of the Universe 3, he said that regardless of what Goku and his allies did, they would still be defeated by Universe 11. His motives for seeking strength are currently very mysterious, as while Belmod says that Jiren wants more power as to become undefeatable, Jiren himself seems to dissaprove of the idea of seeking more power without any just reason, evidenced when he said that he seeks what more strength can offer him rather than just wanting to grow stronger and looking clearly exasperated by Goku's reasons of wanting more power being only due to he wants to be even better. In addition, Jiren seems to disapprove fighting in a prideful manner, as he scorned Vegeta for his self-pride way of fighting.
Despite his emotionless and stoic nature, Jiren has also shown that he can become very angry, even at his own allies. After Toppo was eliminated by Vegeta, Jiren became angry at his leader, stating that he was pathetic because he sacrificed his most prized moral values that he prided himself on in exchange for power, yet still lost in the end, shocking Goku and Dyspo. He was also angry at Android 17, when he managed to damage his uniform, just like when Toppo was furious when Goku damaged his uniform.
While still not being unnecessarily and outwardly cruel, Jiren is capable of being rather condescending, openly considering Goku, Vegeta and Android 17 to be inferior to him and repeatedly suggesting they give up as he is clearly far too strong for them as well as mocking them when Android 17 and later Vegeta challenged Jiren alone.
However, Jiren is not without some personal joy, as he smiled when Goku finally mastered Ultra Instinct and could challenge him. At the same time, Jiren is terrified at the concept of losing to the point where he is not above fearing his opponent, evident in when after seeing Goku dominate him in all aspects with Ultra Instinct. Believing so strongly that power is the only means of justice, once truly pressured in battle, Jiren will lose his composure, becoming extremely savage in battle, caring about nothing else but victory as he feels losing in any form means losing all he has worked for. Once reaching this hostile state, he becomes essentially unreachable with words. In addition, as Jiren's views are the exact opposite to Goku's, who values allies and assistance, viewing them as the key to true growth, once Goku's personal drive allowed him to evolve his power enough to truly challenge Jiren, the Pride Trooper became very erratic. As Goku continued to challenge all of Jiren's views, Jiren even momentarily abandoned his own values as he willingly tried to kill Goku's friends to prove that bonds with others can easily be erased. As Goku's drive ultimately proved greater than Jiren's and technically defeated him, Jiren composed himself enough to accept defeat, showing he has an honorable side. Even more, after Goku suffered the side-effects of overusing Ultra Instinct, Jiren hesitated to knock down Goku as he did not want to win in such an underhanded manner and only reluctantly decided to do so when Vermoud reminded him that he will obtain the Super Dragon Balls if he wins. He also told Goku that even if he and Universe 7 would be erased, Goku would live on forever in his memories, showing that Jiren truly recognized Goku as an equal.
Despite how he treated the Pride Troopers with little respect after they had fallen, Toppo's speech caused Jiren to stand up again to try to live up to the hopes of his allies. Eventually, Jiren changed his ways after realising the truth between Goku's words and began becoming more friendly and sociable.
Powers / Abilities
Jiren is the most powerful warrior in Universe 11 as well as one of, if not the absolute, strongest mortal being in the Multiverse. His extraordinary strength surpass even Belmod, his own universe's God of Destruction, and is vastly stronger than Toppo, the second strongest mortal in Universe 11, even when Toppo is a God of Destruction candidate, whose training allows him to wield the power of Destruction, with the possible exception of Marcarita, the angel of his universe. The only known mortal whose power surpasses all the Gods of Destruction that exists, despite possessing no Divine or God Ki, Jiren is undoubtedly one of the strongest entities in the Multiverse. Deemed to be the Pride of Universe 11, Belmod even claims that Jiren is a being that will never lose. He is much more powerful than any deity or non-deity being in all the universes, with Goku and Vegeta noting none of their opponents could compare to Jiren and Jiren himself vastly outclass Goku and Vegeta even when they both used Super Saiyan Blue, which could give even Beerus some trouble, and Golden Frieza. Despite his overwhelming might, Jiren's fighting style is mostly defensive as, according to Belmod, Jiren tends to let his opponents come to him. He will calmly allow his opponent show their hand, refusing to strike back until either required to or the opponent shows enough strength to actually compete against him, and even then, use no more strength than the amount truly needed. Once engaging in battle, his attack methods are very basic, but solid and efficient, quickly decimating any foe with the sheer force of his attacks. Jiren also has extremely advanced movement analysis, able to near-instantly perceive and determine the flow of events. He is also tremendously fast, more so that even Dyspo in his Super Maximum Light Speed Mode who overwhelm the likes of Golden Frieza, is nowhere near Jiren's speed. He is capable of surviving in the vaccum of space, allowing him to use his extreme speed to easily travel throughout the Cosmos.
After seeing Goku's Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken might, Toppo notes firmly that the Saiyan would have no chance of winning against Jiren. Upon meeting Goku, Goku immediately became in awe at the might of Jiren's mere presence. To which, when Goku approached the stoic warrior, Jiren instantly got behind Goku, who was completely unable to follow or react to this, despite looking right at him, leaving Goku stupefied. When the Gods of Destruction finished fixing the ring faster, Jiren did not bother to dodge the high-speed movement of Katchi Katchin, as he quickly determined that they would not strike him - whereas everyone else opted to dodge, a feat that highly impressed Goku.
During the Tournament of Power, Jiren scared Rabanra away by just looking at him. When Kale went on a rampage in her Berserker Super Saiyan form, Jiren effortlessly knocked out and launched Kale away with a single Power Impact, while everyone else was completely overwhelmed by her power as even their strongest attacks barely even fazed her. Hit, Universe 6's strongest warrior found Jiren a "disturbing presence", opting to fallback against Jiren after witnessing his power against Kale. Jiren effortlessly deflected a projectile from Ribrianne's Light of Love, which most of the other fighters had great difficulty dealing with. Against Maji Kayo, the sheer force from Jiren's punch sent a shockwave that knocked the foe out of the arena without direct contact.
Once Jiren began to get serious, he unleashed such intense ki that it shook the entire World of Void, a realm of infinite size, and stupefied everyone present. Beerus was shocked and sweating over his massive power, wondering how one person can unleash that much energy. Jiren's sheer ki was impervioius to base Goku's Kamehameha. Jiren effortlessly withstood all of Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 Goku's attacks and easily blocked Super Saiyan God Goku's assault with a single hand. Against Super Saiyan Blue, Jiren initially was pushed back until he put in more effort, and casually thrashed Goku about. Even X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken Goku proved to be no match for the relaxed Jiren. Jiren was able to easily push back the Universe 7's Spirit Bomb with just a release of energy. Only with X20 Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken did Goku just make Jiren use both hands, before gradually wearing Goku down. When Goku re-emerged with Ultra Instinct -Sign-, only Jiren could follow the empowered foe. Jiren initially deflected Goku's assault without much effort, but Goku's prowess kept steadily growing, forcing Jiren to fight more seriously altough even then it is assumed he still somewhat held back as Jiren did not show any signs of powering up unlike when he used full power. Jiren proved to be on equal footing with Goku and while he gradually started pushing Jiren back, finally overwhelming him and landing solid blows, while Jiren was rattled by them, he quickly emerged with no signs of fatigue or physical harm. Before Jiren could be fully tested against Ultra Instinct power, Goku regressed to normal, letting the Pride Trooper instantly knock out Goku. Immediately afterwards, he effortlessly blocked a preemptive sneak attack from Hit with his free hand. Frieza also noted to Goku that he wanted to avoid having to fight Jiren at all costs and admits Jiren is a monster.
Against Hit, Jiren was able to effortlessly quickly adapt to Hit's improved Time-Skip, which utterly outmatched Dyspo, allowing him to quite easily counter and pummel the assassin without Hit once being able to hit him. Jiren also easily saw through Hit's Flash Fist Crush and blocked it with one hand and likewise emerged unfazed by the same attack hitting him at point-blank. While initially trapped in Hit's Cage of Time, Jiren was ultimately able to slowly move despite being suspended in time. Hit admits he could not stop Jiren for any longer and attempted to eliminate Jiren but this actually allowed Jiren to knock out Hit as he stopped Hit with a simple glare and was able to move his arm to the sphere which kept the Cage of Time active fast enough to destroy it before Hit could move away while still keeping Hit at bay. Vados and Shin states that Jiren possesses power that transcends time itself. Jiren then easily dodged all of Hit's desperate attacks and easily overpowered Hit in seconds and knocked him out of the arena with a Power Impact, taking out Universe 6's apparent ace player.
After defeating Hit and essentially Goku, Jiren calmly decided to leave the rest of the tournament to Toppo and Dyspo, stating that the opponents he was needed for are no longer a threat, instead resigning to meditation. In credit to his claim, his body would continuously produce a powerful barrier in this state, to which Dyspo notes that no one is worthy of fighting Jiren if they cannot even get through the barrier. As the Universe 6 Saiyans began showing a tremendous increase in power and even fusing together, it only momentarily deterred him from his meditation. It is only when Goku's Ultra Instinct -Sign- form arises once again that Jiren stopped his meditation to observe his foe's fight. During the rampage of Anilaza, Jiren was the only one who could deflect the giant foe's blasts unaided, using his Power Impact. Also, the debris launched by Anilaza was calmly repelled by Jiren's sheer energy.
In the final confrontation against Team Universe 7, while impressed with Goku's sudden growth, Jiren still proved to be fighting half-heartedly yet still easily fought him to a standstill. Even when Vegeta joined the fight, Jiren was unfazed by Vegeta's charge and soon easily beat away Vegeta while forcing back Goku without much effort. Vegeta noted that Jiren (before he even began using a hint of his true power) was stronger than anyone Vegeta had ever encountered. After Vegeta analyzed Jiren's attack patterns against Goku, Jiren was shocked by Vegeta avoiding his assault and hitting him back. From this, Vegeta began pushing Jiren back, getting through Jiren's defenses and landed solid blows. However, Vegeta noted that Jiren was showing much less strength than against Goku. To which, once Jiren got more serious, he quickly knocks Vegeta down, easily deflects Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta's energy blast and with a Power Impact, badly injure and exhaust him back into base form. After mocking Vegeta's pride, Jiren was hit by a supercharged Final Flash from Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta. While he was unable to block it and knocked to the ground hard, Jiren quickly emerged unharmed. He then noted that the force from the Final Flash wasn't half-bad and quickly delivers an energy attack that easily defeats Vegeta. When battling Goku again, Jiren easily parried Goku's attempts to attack him while actually intending to trap him. When they came to close-range combat, the relaxed Jiren quickly gained the upper hand and almost bested him until he was trapped. However, Jiren manages to save himself by methodically jumping off the various falling debris to return to the arena. After walking through all of Goku's explosions completely unfazed and uninjured and swiftly knocking him back, he proceeds to briefly unleash a hint of his true power (Belmod noted that Jiren hadn't used that much power in a while), firing off a simple regular punch with such immense power and force that the shockwaves he generated completely stunned and scared Goku back into his base form, from Super Saiyan Blue.
After Goku and Vegeta push their Super Saiyan Blue forms well past their limits, with Goku using Kaio-ken x20 to push himself beyond his limits, and Vegeta transforming into a new and powerful form that far surpassed the normal Super Saiyan Blue Form, they both attacked Jiren together. While technically fighting together, they were in reality fighting individually, which actually worked to their advantage, as it threw Jiren off-balance and began pressuring him. Despite this disadvantage, which even made both Khai and Belmod nervous, Jiren still effectively blocked the majority of Goku and Vegeta's attacks and remained unfazed by their most powerful attacks, emerging from the rubble, which he effortlessly vaporized, unscathed. As Jiren continued to gradually show more of his true power, Goku and Vegeta's combined efforts could only match him and he repelled Vegeta's Final Flash with a mere glare, effortlessly broke free from Goku's hold, and soon afterwards left both Saiyans winded while he remained completely relaxed. As the fight continued, the very shockwaves of his attacks began overwhelming God of Destruction Toppo.
After Toppo was eliminated, Jiren finally unleashes the immense fury of a his true power. With his true power, his ki was so intense and strong that it left the likes of Goku and Android 17 astonished and Tien, upon seeing Jiren's massive power, was so amazed by his power that he doubted that even together, Goku, Vegeta, and Android 17 could stand up to him. With his true power unleashed, he was able to easily take on and overwhelm Goku, Vegeta, and Android 17. This is evident where he was able to successfully block and counter almost all of their attacks and completely shrug those that hit him off. His energy is also so intense to the point where he was able to not only pierce through Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku's Kamehameha with a simple energy beam from his fist, but he also could use it as shield to defend himself from a three-way beam attack from the Universe 7 fighters, before he releases it in an omni-directional attack, which heavily injures both Goku and Vegeta to the point of sheer exhaustion. Jiren was also able to effortlessly defend himself from the enraged Final Form Frieza and soon send him flying with a kick. He then effortlessly overpowered him in his Golden form, with nothing but a glare and a two punches, knocking him out with the second punch. Altough he was caught off guard by Android 17's massively powerful blast, Jiren only suffered very minor injuries and soon Jiren's power proved too much for Android 17, as he was able to dispel another beam attack from the latter, despite being engulfed in the said beam, and also effortlessly plowed through a multitude of barriers. Jiren also effortlessly overpowered and badly wounded base Vegeta, ultimately knocking him out, and easily overpowered Super Saiyan Blue Goku, reverting him back to his base form with a single punch.
However, when Goku reawakens Ultra Instinct -Sign-, Jiren initially was incapable of seeing Goku move and was unable to land a hit on him. Ultra Instinct -Sign- Goku was even able to calmly land a blow on Jiren's stomach that actually caused Jiren to reel in pain. However, while visibly hurt by the punch, Jiren is quick to recover from the brief pain he felt from the attack and began powering up to face Ultra Instinct -Sign- Goku one last time. In their resulting exchange, Jiren proved to be evenly matched with Goku and he even managed to gain the upper hand upon fully seeing through the depths of Goku's power, deflecting Imperfect Ultra Instinct Kamehameha and dealing noticable damage enough to revert him to underpowered form. He would have beaten Goku had Vegeta not inspired Goku. Jiren remained on equal footing with Goku until he was somewhat pressured by Goku as he began to fully master Ultra Instinct. However, Jiren was able to briefly overwhelm him.
Against Mastered Ultra Instinct, although considerably outclassed, Jiren fought Goku with great effort and was able to process his movements enough to block a fair share of Goku's blows and also attack Goku. However, Jiren is ultimately easily overpowered, as none of his attacks were able to hit Goku while quite a few of Goku's blows landed solidly on him, although he was able to withstand it despite being clearly rattled. It was at this point that Jiren experienced his trauma again and he was able to break beyond his limits, gaining a tremendous boost in power and physical capabilities. Jiren unleashed a newfound power so intense, the very release of it caused the top portion of his Pride Trooper uniform to be blasted off, and set his surroundings ablaze with fiery ki. His physical powers were equal to, if not a bit superior, to Goku, completely matching him in hand-to-hand combat and even managing to cause Goku visible pain with a edgehammer hand blow, while his raw power could surpass Goku's initial level, able to force Goku into dodging his Power Impact and pressure him with his Ki blasts as well as overpower Goku's Kamehameha eventually. A Power Impact Beam was enough to briefly submit Goku. Even with Goku's power increased, Jiren still fought relatively evenly with Goku, shrugging off the majority of Goku's blows and landing his own that rattled Goku, requiring a full-power strike to briefly knock him down and even then Jiren still stood up and could exert enough power that had his blast not been deflected, he would have killed any of the non godly audience. He then stayed in combat with an enraged Ultra Instinct Goku for an extended period of time, blocking most of Goku's blows and shrugging off any blow landed. It took a full power Kamehameha to finally render him unable to battle. Even then, with only a short amount of time, Jiren was able to recover, effortlessly blast base Goku off the Arena, had it not been for Frieza's intervention, and then go toe-to-toe with and even overwhelm Golden Frieza, with only Android 17's attack saving Frieza. While he was severely injured, when motivated, Jiren was able to get up and unleash such a vast wall of KI as to nearly overwhelm Frieza, 17 and Goku's defenses. He could match and even overwhelm both Goku and Final Form Frieza, requiring aid from Android 17 to finally knock him off.
In Xenoverse 2, Jiren's power is noted to be far greater than the one the Future Warrior fought. Beerus and Whis both was surprised that the Future Warrior could defeat him even with Future Jiren's weaker strength, which still proved to be a remarkable challenge, and noted the real Jiren may very well defeat the Warrior at their current level. Android 18, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo all noted that they would have stood no chance had the Warrior not aided them, but to Vegeta, Goku and Hit, Future Jiren is still just weaker than the real Jiren yet they both still experienced thrill in fighting him.
- Power Impact : Jiren is able to shoot out a small blast of Ki that expands massively upon impact. He can control how far the attack sends his opponent. Due to Jiren's sheer power, the attack's power is tremondously potent even with Jiren's power massively held back, capable of easily knocking out the Berserker Super Saiyan Kale, defeating the mightiest Universe 6 member Hit, altough Hit had sustained a lot of damage from Jiren's previous attacks, severely injuring Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta enough to revert him back to normal and easily repelling the energy blast of Anilaza. Jiren is also capable of wrapping the energy of the blast around his opponent to electrify said opponent in an orb of energy before exploding, which was easily potent enough to incatipate Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta and return him to normal. In full power, Jiren can compress 2 small blasts into a Power Impact that would quickly expand massively and this version can easily tear through Android 17's barriers and it took Android 17 self destructing to stop it. After breaking his limits, Jiren is able to cast a wide amount of smaller but much more destructive blasts capable of pressuring Goku and create a beam strong enough to literally bowl through Supreme Kamehameha and inflict briefly stunning damage on Ultra Instinct Goku.
- Energy Punches: Jiren is able to charge his fist with his ki and then sends out powerful punches. Simply Jiren's basic punches, when Jiren starts revealing his true power, it is easily potent enough to dispel Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta's Final Flash, stun Goku back to his normal form from Super Saiyan Blue and at full power, it could revert Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta back to normal and overpower Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku's Kamehameha.
- Energy Barrier: Jiren's Ki is so massively potent that without movement through merely exerting his Ki, Jiren could block remarkably powerful attacks such as Goku's Kamehameha and at full power, it becomes even more potent to the point where it could block Android 17's Beam, Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 and Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta.
- Invisible Eye Blast: Due to the immensity of Jiren's power, his ki is so strong that he can release a stupendously powerful force blast by simply exerting his ki through his glare. It was powerful enough to easily disperse Vegeta's Final Flash, block Hit's final assault, and fight back Goku's Spirit Bomb.
- Invisible Strikes: Jiren's immense speed is so vast that he could land multiple heavy blows on a person in an instant, even able to do this by simply glaring, which is so strong and fast that it could badly wound Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken X20 Goku and Hit. Only Ultra Instinct Goku could effectively counter it without needing to observe it first. However, it can still be seen through if the foe's senses are sharp enough to observe it's pattern, as while Vegeta in his base form could not see it while faraway, once witnessing it up close and using Super Saiyan Blue, he was able to do the same as Ultra Instinct Goku.
- Jiren and Belmod: Belmod was attracted to Jiren's solitude and desire for power and would at some point introduce him to the Pride Troopers, giving Jiren companions he can truly call comrades, altough due to his disturbing past, Jiren does not completely trust them. Belmod deeply respects and is very proud of Jiren's power as he was fully confident that Jiren can defeat any opponent he faces during the Tournament. Jiren seems to obey Belmod, as he only began truly fighting when the god ordered him to. However, while he obeys Belmod, Jiren shows surprisingly little respect for him compared to Toppo, as he was impolite in replying to Belmod's telepathic order and later blatantly adressed him without using an honorific.
- Jiren and Toppo: Toppo claims that Jiren is his sworn friend but due to Jiren's distrust of others, whether he truly considers Toppo such is unknown, altough Jiren does seem to see Toppo as a comrade and does shows concern when Toppo became a Hakaishin. However, unlike Belmod, who Jiren has no respect for, Jiren has been seen to respect Toppo despite the vast difference in their powers, as he willingly listens to Toppo's orders. However, due to just how much Jiren surpasses Toppo, Jiren can easily become blunt to even him and would not hesitate to order him to stay back if he views that the opponent is stronger than him or when he decides to fight and Toppo knows only too well not to try to sway Jiren, evidenced when Jiren sternly told Toppo to stay aside so he can handle Maji Kayo and Toppo was surprised but did so and was later shown to make Toppo stop fighting Ultra Instinct Goku with a simple motion. Jiren, however, does hold Toppo's capabillities at a higher regard than the other Pride Troopers, enough that he was willing to let Toppo take on Beyond Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta when Toppo had became a God of Destruction. Jiren, however, was greatly disappointed Toppo after he lost against Vegeta despite becoming a Hakaishin and sacrificing all his prized values while Vegeta sacrificed none, even going so far as to coldly call him pathetic. This shows that Jiren's better view of Toppo's power also comes with an even greater expectation for his friend's power and having expected more from Toppo as a Hakaishin, Jiren had lost not only his respect for Toppo, but also his high view of Toppo's capabillities. However, despite this, while denying Toppo as a friend, Toppo still cared for Jiren greatly and what remained of Jiren's respect of Toppo made him be motivated and strengthened by Toppo's speech, allowing him to stand up. Jiren eventually became friendlier towards Toppo as he happily smiled when Toppo said they won't lose to Goku again.
- Jiren and Dyspo : It's unknown how Jiren views Dyspo but it appears their relationship is deeper than the other Pride Troopers just less deeper than the one Jiren had with Toppo. Jiren shows some annoyance when Dyspo struggled, showing he held Dyspo's abillities at higher regard than most of his allies and expected more from him, which can be attributed to Dyspo ranking as the third strongest Pride Trooper and among the fastest, even though Jiren still vastly dwarfes Dyspo in both power and speed. Jiren does seems to care for Dyspo as he did went to his aid when Maji Kayo had him beaten. However, like with Toppo, Dyspo's loss had apparently made Jiren lost any level of regard he had for Dyspo's abillities, as he evidently also extended his mocking of Toppo to Dyspo when Dyspo tells Jiren it's all up to him.
- Jiren and Goku : Jiren is virtually the antithesis of Goku and Goku's most powerful and formidable foe. Goku was excited and unworried of the prospect of fighting Jiren when Toppo told him about him. Whether Jiren knew on Toppo's battle with Goku was unknown, but it's unlikely as if Toppo had told Jiren, Jiren would likely quickly consider Goku to be a threat as Toppo is second only to Jiren yet Toppo could not defeat Goku. When they first met, Jiren was antagonistic towards him despite Goku warmly greeting him and coldly told him to get lost, likely viewing him as the reason why his universe is in danger of being erased. However, as he apparently observes Goku's power, Jiren seems to start regarding Goku's abillities at a higher regard, as he deemed him as one of the few warriors he needed to personally fight. When Goku challenged him, Jiren clearly looked ready to fight Goku when they stared at each other until Goku was almost knocked out by Universe 9 and later would have fought him had Toppo not ordered him to fall back. Jiren later agrees to fights Goku when Belmod ordered him to likely out of intrest on how Goku would fight him. While he was evidently unimpressed by Goku's Kamehamaha, which was useless against him as he repelled it without even moving using only his Ki and was just as much as unimpressed by Goku's Super Saiyan 1, Super Saiyan 2, and Super Saiyan 3's power, as he did not bother to dodge or block and withstood without damage, once Goku used Super Saiyan God, Jiren starts blocking even if it was only with one hand, apparently starting to gain a better opinion of Goku's power. Once Goku uses Super Saiyan Blue, Jiren, while outwardly unfazed, clearly took the power fairly seriously, as he starts fighting back in order to easily defeat Goku and chose to dodge Goku's Kamehameha rather than taking it on. Jiren's view of Goku's power made him willing to wait as Goku charges his Spirit Bomb out of curiousity, which he easily deflected. Jiren would eventually consider Goku a genuine threat when he acquired Ultra Instinct and could keep up with him, as he viewed Toppo and Dyspo as being too weak to defeat Goku and later stopped his meditation to observe Goku when he reawakened it. When they fight again and Goku is able to hold off Jiren in Super Saiyan Blue even though Jiren still did not use full power, Jiren was apparently impressed by Goku's growth and asked Goku why does Goku want power and seems to be dissapointed when Goku told him that he just wants to get stronger. When Goku nearly eliminated him, Jiren's opinion of Goku grew enough that he used the most amount of power Belmod saw Jiren using. Ultimately, Goku proves to be Jiren's final and strongest opponent when he had knocked out Vegeta and awakened Ultra Instinct-Sign again. Jiren was finally truly impressed when Goku is able to beat him back, causing him to use all of his power to attempt to defeat him. As the Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku dominates him easily and rivals even his limit break power, Jiren starts to grow furious at Goku for defying all of his ideals but upon being defeated, accepts Goku as being stronger than him and asks him to knock him down. He has developed so much respect that he truly considers Goku an equal, hesitating to knock him down after he lost Ultra Instinct and genuinely telling him he did not intend to win in such a way and bidding him a distraught farewell while promising Goku will forever be inside his memories as a worthy rival. Jiren was later on very impressed when Goku stood up again and was inclined to regain his hidden power again, after which he took enjoyment in fighting both Goku and Frieza. It was Goku's example that made Jiren finally realize the flaws of his approach for strength; while it is true that without others, he was able to level up to such an extent due to trusting only in his own innate talent, in the end, only with the aid of others can he truly be strengthened. Hence, Jiren looks forward to another battle with Goku happily and trains so he will be able to win.
- Jiren and Vegeta: Jiren did not think much of Vegeta initially. He did not consider him to be strong enough to be his opponent, never even mentioning him and not being bothered at the idea of Vegeta facing Toppo. When they finally fought, Jiren showed no desire to take him on seriously, not even bothering to deflect his blows and quickly got annoyed by Vegeta's arrogant claims of how he would be the one to claim the Super Dragon Balls enough to knock him aside easily. However, he starts getting a bit better opinion of Vegeta when he is able to bypass his Invisible Strikes and briefly push him back, but disliked his arrogant way of fighting as it contrasted his beliefs to the point he stated Vegeta would never defeat him, only to be subjected to a super-charged Final Flash that forced him to block. Once rendering it mostly ineffective and downing Vegeta, Jiren shows greater respect towards him, calling him warrior. After Vegeta beat Toppo, Jiren is genuinely impressed and praised him for being able to hold on to his beliefs while still winning and he later acknowledges Vegeta's resilience just before knocking him down.
|~ Jiren's famous catchphrase|
|~ Jiren when he finishes off his opponent|
|“||Do you know what the pride of an assassin is good for? NOTHING!!!||„|
|~ Jiren describing Hit's pride as a stupidity.|
|“||Understood, you can take it from here. The fighters that hoped to challenge me, have all failed.||„|
|~ Jiren after he easily defeated Goku and Hit before starts mediating|
|~ Jiren to Vegeta|
|“||It's stunning you could find so much power without sacrificing your ideals. You've fought hard to defeat Top. Well done.||„|
|~ Jiren congratulates Vegeta for beating Top.|
|“||Your battle is already over, Saiyan. You know it's futile and yet something pushes you to keep going. What could it be? (Vegeta: Good question. But even if I told you, you wouldn't understand, because you're just a cold-blooded bastard. You wouldn't know what it means to fight for others with all your heart and soul!)||„|
|~ Jiren facing a Vegeta at the end of his rope.|
|“||As your foe, I must acknowledge the power of your pride. But it's over.||„|
|~ Jiren admitting his respect for the strength and the determination of Vegeta, before eliminating it.|
|“||Who cares about friendship?! Who cares about trust?! To accept that would be to deny everything I've ever been. I won't believe in such power. Such a thing... is easily erased!!||„|
|~ Jiren before firing at the audience stands|
- Jiren's name appears to come from the word renji, Japanese for stove.
- Jiren is one of Goku's major rivals in the series, alongside Vegeta and Hit.
- His English voice actor, Patrick Seitz, also voiced Scorpion in the Mortal Kombat franchise.
- It is noticeable that, unlike many other heroes and villains on Dragon Ball; Jiren don't have martial arts skills. Despite being presented as an skilled martial artist like many other charatcers, Jiren never display truly martial arts prowess, rather relying on brute force and overwhelming power to win his battles. That said, he still shows some impressive fighting skills aside from ki control, like highly analytical mind.
- Jiren is very similar to Batman from the DC Comics: as both are very serious and determined superheroes who value all life and and have a moral code of honor and hate killing. They are also loners and attend to act like jerks to other people, but they are both very noble and selfless. Plus both of them have tragic backstories and were orphans since they were children.
- The only difference between them is that Jiren is more emotionless and cold and is more of an anti-hero as Batman is less emotionless and more caring and accepting of others as Jiren's views are much more warped than Batman's due to never accepting and getting over what happened to his family.